My nephew was choosen to race the KTM Jr. Challenge in Phoenix, but...

GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
4018th
Edited Date/Time 1/16/2016 5:28pm
Hey guys,

My 7yr old nephew Evan Lindsey was recently chosen to race the KTM Jr. Challenge in Phoenix on February 6th. This season he will be moving up from the 50 class to the 7-11 65 class. We live in Atlanta, so the trip is going to cost alot & they only have a few weeks to come up with the money. Hes had some of his sponsors, friends & family step up to help them cover some of the cost. The plane tickets & hotel are booked & paid for, but the fee to race is $300 & he needs new boots, food etc too.

The family just needs another $745 to help them offset cost & they will be good to go. We talked his dad into starting a GoFund me account to try to raise the last $1000 that was needed. He really had to set his pride aside to get his son to this once in a lifetime opportunity, but he did it. We are not ones to ask for money & hate that we had to, but we would rather get Evan to the races.

If anyone would like to help us get him & his family to the Phoenix SX, we would be extremely grateful!! I will post a pic of his race resume in the comments below. If you guys would like to see anything else, I can get it for you. Thanks.

Here is the link:https://www.gofundme.com/n24swajg

|
APLMAN99
1/15/2016 9:12am
Good luck with your efforts. I hope he's able to race. But just for curiosity, why apply to race a round so far away without having the financial means in place first?
luckyguy19
1/15/2016 9:15am
You have to pay an entry fee to race the KTM Jr. Challenge? That never occurred to me, I always figured KTM covered the whole thing.
pete24
1/15/2016 9:16am
i would like to go out drinking tonight
go fundme#fatdrunkguywithmanboobs

The Shop

Olson
1/15/2016 9:17am
This will go well....
rpoint116
1/15/2016 9:17am

MX is an expensive sport.

Good luck with your efforts.
KTMShane699
1/15/2016 9:18am Edited Date/Time 1/15/2016 9:19am
APLMAN99 wrote:
Good luck with your efforts. I hope he's able to race. But just for curiosity, why apply to race a round so far away without having...
Good luck with your efforts. I hope he's able to race. But just for curiosity, why apply to race a round so far away without having the financial means in place first?
I agree. One contingency of applying for me would be making sure I could make it happen. Much like when I did triathlons all the time, I never put in for the Kona lottery (certainly wasn't fast enough to qualify) because the trip was more than I was willing to spend. It sounds like if there's a shortage of money and he needs some basics (like new boots), maybe it wasn't the right race to apply for. It looks like you're trying to raise more than half the cost of the trip.

Hopefully your fundraising works out and they're able to make it happen. Also, if they need another $745, why is it the "last $1,000" to be able to go? Is that a gofundme minimum? I don't know. Just asking.

Good luck raising the funds to go. Hopefully it all works out.

Shane
mauidex
1/15/2016 9:24am
WOW.........this is almost as good as the chick who spent all her money on lottery tickets and now has a go fund me account because she's broke...............f'n amazing UnsureUnsure
tdoshi9
1/15/2016 9:27am
I will throw him a little bit. Anything helps i'm sure! what's $20? Nothing when its for a little guy to follow his dreams!
tdoshi9
1/15/2016 9:28am
mauidex wrote:
WOW.........this is almost as good as the chick who spent all her money on lottery tickets and now has a go fund me account because she's...
WOW.........this is almost as good as the chick who spent all her money on lottery tickets and now has a go fund me account because she's broke...............f'n amazing UnsureUnsure
why even post anything if you don't have anything good to say. if you don't agree then don't say anything. all you really did was push his post to the top for others to see. HELPING HIM! you mad bro?
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
4018th
1/15/2016 9:30am
I agree. One contingency of applying for me would be making sure I could make it happen. Much like when I did triathlons all the time...
I agree. One contingency of applying for me would be making sure I could make it happen. Much like when I did triathlons all the time, I never put in for the Kona lottery (certainly wasn't fast enough to qualify) because the trip was more than I was willing to spend. It sounds like if there's a shortage of money and he needs some basics (like new boots), maybe it wasn't the right race to apply for. It looks like you're trying to raise more than half the cost of the trip.

Hopefully your fundraising works out and they're able to make it happen. Also, if they need another $745, why is it the "last $1,000" to be able to go? Is that a gofundme minimum? I don't know. Just asking.

Good luck raising the funds to go. Hopefully it all works out.

Shane
Thanks Shane. They needed $1000 total and they've raised $255. Normally they could swing this, but they just got the phone call this week I think & its just not alot of time to put $3500 together.
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
4018th
1/15/2016 9:32am
mauidex wrote:
WOW.........this is almost as good as the chick who spent all her money on lottery tickets and now has a go fund me account because she's...
Wait, a 7yr old needing some money to go to the KTM JR SX Challenge is the same as a chick that blew her money on lotto tickets?

F'n amazingUnsureUnsure
mauidex
1/15/2016 9:35am
tdoshi9 wrote:
why even post anything if you don't have anything good to say. if you don't agree then don't say anything. all you really did was push...
why even post anything if you don't have anything good to say. if you don't agree then don't say anything. all you really did was push his post to the top for others to see. HELPING HIM! you mad bro?
guess you never heard of freedom of speech....................pretty much why we're all here...........not mad at all....just incredible the entitlement process because "I race".................
mauidex
1/15/2016 9:38am
Wait, a 7yr old needing some money to go to the KTM JR SX Challenge is the same as a chick that blew her money on...
Wait, a 7yr old needing some money to go to the KTM JR SX Challenge is the same as a chick that blew her money on lotto tickets?

F'n amazingUnsureUnsure
yep............begging other people to pay for their expenses WoohooWoohoo
dl117
Fantasy
2587th
1/15/2016 9:41am
pete24 wrote:
You cant use that hash tag....I already have it...lol

Good luck to your nephew
1/15/2016 9:43am Edited Date/Time 1/15/2016 9:45am
Just an honest question...

With gas being around $2.00/gal why not drive and save a truckload of money on airfare? I mean I get it, maybe the parents can't take off 2-3 days of work surrounding a weekend and there may be no way to get him out of school a day or two. Just a thought.

I'd be more willing to support the cause if I knew they were doing everything possible to cut costs and fulfill a killer experience for the little guy. That airfare could pay for gear and more.
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
4018th
1/15/2016 9:43am
mauidex wrote:
They aren't begging, their looking for sponsorship.
tdoshi9
1/15/2016 9:45am
Wait, a 7yr old needing some money to go to the KTM JR SX Challenge is the same as a chick that blew her money on...

F'n amazingUnsureUnsure
mauidex wrote:
isn't this exactly what every pro does? asking for support? i don't see any begging of any sort. i see someone following thier dreams and asking for support if you want to. if not then move on. if you race and want support then start a page and ask... if not well... go on the internet and bag others for doing what you wish you would have done.
APLMAN99
1/15/2016 9:45am
mauidex wrote:

F'n amazingUnsureUnsure
Look, I really hope your nephew gets to go race, but let's not confuse this with a "need". If he were traveling to Phoenix for life saving surgery, that'd be a need.

I'm just wondering why would the parents enter an event so far away without the ability to pay for it.
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
4018th
1/15/2016 9:46am
Just an honest question... With gas being around $2.00/gal why not drive and save a truckload of money on airfare? I mean I get it, maybe...

With gas being around $2.00/gal why not drive and save a truckload of money on airfare? I mean I get it, maybe the parents can't take off 2-3 days of work surrounding a weekend and there may be no way to get him out of school a day or two. Just a thought.

I'd be more willing to support the cause if I knew they were doing everything possible to cut costs and fulfill a killer experience for the little guy. That airfare could pay for gear and more.
Sponsor paid for all 4 round trip plane tickets. Trust me, they are doing what they can in the 3 weeks they've got. I think coming off the Holidays is what made it tight.
KTMShane699
1/15/2016 9:49am
They aren't begging, their looking for sponsorship.
Looking for "sponsorship" might not be the best choice of words. Sponsorship generally indicates a relationship where support/goods/product are exchanged for publicity and sales. Asking individuals to give money doesn't equate to sponsorship. It's a donation. Let's just call it what it is.

Good point above about cutting all expenses to bare minimum too!

Shane
1/15/2016 9:50am
Just an honest question... With gas being around $2.00/gal why not drive and save a truckload of money on airfare? I mean I get it, maybe...

Sponsor paid for all 4 round trip plane tickets. Trust me, they are doing what they can in the 3 weeks they've got. I think coming...
Sponsor paid for all 4 round trip plane tickets. Trust me, they are doing what they can in the 3 weeks they've got. I think coming off the Holidays is what made it tight.
Fair enough. I figured there was a reason. Any way they could get the sponsors to retract the plane tickets and give them a travel stipend? Cheerful
downard254
1/15/2016 9:52am Edited Date/Time 1/15/2016 9:52am
Just a thought, but I'd be willing to bet that your local bank will float a short term loan the the needed $1000, or just get a line of credit against their home. Even at 5% interest, you're only talking $50/year. He could most likely pay it back easily in one years time. That's what I'd do.
Good Luck

imoto34
Fantasy
3179th
1/15/2016 9:52am
pete24 wrote:
Good stuff ^^
Panic_Rev
1/15/2016 9:54am
There is nothing wrong with asking for help/sponsors IMO. That doesn't mean you have to help or are being approached to give up your money if you do not want to. They are simply asking. Don't be offended.

As I type this out I am thinking back to my childhood and how badass would it be to have that memory for the rest of your life? Hell I will donate $20 now as well. But please answer this why does he need new boots? He seems to be racing now, and I assume he isn't wearing sneakers...
APLMAN99
1/15/2016 9:55am Edited Date/Time 1/15/2016 9:56am
downard254 wrote:
Just a thought, but I'd be willing to bet that your local bank will float a short term loan the the needed $1000, or just get...
Just a thought, but I'd be willing to bet that your local bank will float a short term loan the the needed $1000, or just get a line of credit against their home. Even at 5% interest, you're only talking $50/year. He could most likely pay it back easily in one years time. That's what I'd do.
Good Luck

Even one of those consumer credit companies would probably work. I'm not sure the names and they're probably different out there but even looking at $2000 at 18% for 12 months is less than $200 per month

Unless credit is all maxed out, and then it IS a bit like the lottery scenario above.......
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
4018th
1/15/2016 9:56am
Looking for "sponsorship" might not be the best choice of words. Sponsorship generally indicates a relationship where support/goods/product are exchanged for publicity and sales. Asking individuals...
Looking for "sponsorship" might not be the best choice of words. Sponsorship generally indicates a relationship where support/goods/product are exchanged for publicity and sales. Asking individuals to give money doesn't equate to sponsorship. It's a donation. Let's just call it what it is.

Good point above about cutting all expenses to bare minimum too!

Shane
No, you can sponsor someone for whatever they need funding for. Your definition is incorrect.

Here:

Sponsorship:
spon·sor·ship
ˈspän(t)sərˌSHip/
noun
noun: sponsorship; plural noun: sponsorships
the position of being a sponsor.
"the company's sponsorship of the tournament"
synonyms: backing, support, promotion, patronage, subsidy, funding, financing, aid, financial assistance
"corporate sponsorship saved the museum"
financial support received from a sponsor.
"he has attracted more than $50,000 in sponsorship"

Sponsor:

spon·sor
ˈspänsər/Submit
noun
a person or organization that provides funds for a project or activity carried out by another, in particular.
a person who introduces and supports a proposal for legislation.
"a leading sponsor of the bill"
verb
provide funds for (a project or activity or the person carrying it out).
"Joe is being sponsored by his church"
synonyms: finance, put up the money for, fund, subsidize, back, promote, support, contribute to, be a patron of, guarantee, underwrite; More

So lets call it for what it isSmile
1/15/2016 10:00am
Hey guys... I think we are good! The flights were killing us because they had to be booked right away, but a friend stepped in and covered them on a credit card along with the hotel. Evan's sponsors also just stepped in and offered to help.

This all just came up super fast at the worst possible time, coming off the holidays and having a few clients not pay. We've been racing for several years now and know the sport is expensive. It's also normally not an issue for us financially, but I didn't want to let this opportunity pass us up either, because of my set back.

Thanks again!
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
4018th
1/15/2016 10:03am
Fair enough. I figured there was a reason. Any way they could get the sponsors to retract the plane tickets and give them a travel stipend...
Fair enough. I figured there was a reason. Any way they could get the sponsors to retract the plane tickets and give them a travel stipend? Cheerful
Hey, good ideaWink

They'd love nothing more than to be able to fund this without asking for outside sponsorship period. We are from the South, so we are all hardcore Republicans & Conservatives. He already feels like shit looking at all the comments because it never crossed his mind as begging, just sponsoring his son so they can take him to this race. His son is so pumped & proud that he actually got picked.

Trust me, I knew the back lash of posting this, but I'm just trying to help my little guy out in anyway. He can't work yet.

Post a reply to: My nephew was choosen to race the KTM Jr. Challenge in Phoenix, but...

The Latest