My left hand gets very sore from riding - anyone got any tip on how to get rid of this issue?

Hi,

When I ride I can do maybe one 20min motos and then my left hand start to hurt. I dont get blisters, I just get very sore and its hard to grip the handlebars as I should.

I have ordered boysens shock out grip so I hope it might help, but it is 3 weeks delivery so I have to wait and see.

I have tried different gloves and tried to tape the palm but it doesnt help much. I have tried different grips, thin grips, thicker grips, kevlar grips and so on. I have tried palm saver but it gets very thick and it feels weard to ride with.

I use a fot file to keep the calluses down in my hand. If I dont I get even more sore.

I have ridden 20h the last two month so its not because I dont ride enough eather.

What have I missed? I cant be the only one who gets sore in my hands?

It doesnt look to bad at the picture but it hurts pretty much when I ride and would be nice to get rid of the pain.

|
downard254
6/15/2016 1:32pm
Don't feel too bad. I go two laps and my hands are numb. I don't know if it's arm pump or what, but when my hands go numb, I have to stop. And that's pretty often.
TallonT911
6/15/2016 1:36pm
Maybe try a set of Flexx Bars by Fasst Co. They have elastomers that allow the bars to flex and reduce the impact going to your hands and wrists.
You can change out the elastomers for soft, medium and hard to customize the feel
IceMan446
6/15/2016 1:45pm Edited Date/Time 6/15/2016 1:45pm
downard254 wrote:
Don't feel too bad. I go two laps and my hands are numb. I don't know if it's arm pump or what, but when my hands...
Don't feel too bad. I go two laps and my hands are numb. I don't know if it's arm pump or what, but when my hands go numb, I have to stop. And that's pretty often.
My hands were going numb and I had the carpel tunnel release done and that alleviated it.

I still get arm pump however.
The Oracle
Fantasy
4263rd
6/15/2016 2:00pm
downard254 wrote:
Don't feel too bad. I go two laps and my hands are numb. I don't know if it's arm pump or what, but when my hands...
IceMan446 wrote:
My hands were going numb and I had the carpel tunnel release done and that alleviated it.

I have had the same problem for the last 3 years doing riding once in a while.
This year I got it figured out.

Ride more, squeeze less.

The Shop

Starcrossed
6/15/2016 2:24pm Edited Date/Time 6/15/2016 2:26pm
downard254 wrote:
IceMan446 wrote:

The Oracle wrote:
I have had the same problem for the last 3 years doing riding once in a while. This year I got it figured out. Ride more...

Ride more, squeeze less.
Have you tried to concentrate on not squeezing the grips so tight for an extended period, without focusing on anything else during that time. It's easy to forget, even when trying to concentrate on just that one issue. I've had the same problem, and the second I start to think about something else, my grip tightens up.

Sorry, didn't mean to quote anybody. Didn't realize I even clicked on the button.lol
6/15/2016 2:39pm Edited Date/Time 6/15/2016 2:40pm
IceMan446 wrote:

The Oracle wrote:
I have had the same problem for the last 3 years doing riding once in a while. This year I got it figured out. Ride more...

Ride more, squeeze less.
Have you tried to concentrate on not squeezing the grips so tight for an extended period, without focusing on anything else during that time. It's easy...
Have you tried to concentrate on not squeezing the grips so tight for an extended period, without focusing on anything else during that time. It's easy to forget, even when trying to concentrate on just that one issue. I've had the same problem, and the second I start to think about something else, my grip tightens up.

Sorry, didn't mean to quote anybody. Didn't realize I even clicked on the button.lol
Just curious, is your left hand your dominant hand?

Edit: Intended for OP, I too did not mean to quote anybody
IceMan446
6/15/2016 2:41pm
The Oracle wrote:

Ride more, squeeze less.
I had issues with numbness in my hands while sleeping. Nerve issues from what my doc said. The surgery stopped that.

I didnt get arm pump before the surgery though.

I actually could count on one hand the times I have gotten it. Now its constant. I cant even use a basic squirt bottle without pumping up.
Forty
6/15/2016 2:51pm
The Oracle wrote:

Ride more, squeeze less.
IceMan446 wrote:
I had issues with numbness in my hands while sleeping. Nerve issues from what my doc said. The surgery stopped that. I didnt get arm pump...
I had issues with numbness in my hands while sleeping. Nerve issues from what my doc said. The surgery stopped that.

I actually could count on one hand the times I have gotten it. Now its constant. I cant even use a basic squirt bottle without pumping up.
Grip compound ...no shit...I purchased the firm grip once and my left hand was wore out! Not the right hand though. Witchcraft!
Olson
6/15/2016 3:02pm
The Oracle wrote:

Ride more, squeeze less.
IceMan446 wrote:
I had issues with numbness in my hands while sleeping. Nerve issues from what my doc said. The surgery stopped that. I didnt get arm pump...

Forty wrote:
Grip compound ...no shit...I purchased the firm grip once and my left hand was wore out! Not the right hand though. Witchcraft!
Years with lotion in that right hand does that to a man...
bronwynrayne
6/15/2016 3:50pm
IceMan446 wrote:

Forty wrote:
Olson wrote:
Years with lotion in that right hand does that to a man...
Keep it pink, purple and you're gripping er too hard.
JW381
6/15/2016 4:12pm
My left hand gets very sore too.
smv ryder
Fantasy
1306th
6/15/2016 4:23pm
JW381 wrote:
Switch hit when you masterbate..
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2551st
6/15/2016 5:08pm
JW381 wrote:
smv ryder wrote:
All jokes aside.

You may try a differnet clutch perch or moving your current perch closet in, further out, lever tilted higher, lever lower or any combination thereof.
stantdm
6/15/2016 5:16pm
JW381 wrote:
smv ryder wrote:
Next time you are riding try pointing your index finger straight the whole time. It helped me. A friend of mine cut his index finger off in a saw accident years ago and he told me after that he could not squeeze the grip as hard and he had no more arm pump or sore hand.

Another thing you might try is to get a leather donut that just slips over your grip. I used to get a sore hand in the web area of my thumb and index finger but it cured that.

Good luck with whatever you try.
6/15/2016 5:47pm
JW381 wrote:
smv ryder wrote:
Try standing up more often when you ride. Focus on keeping a tight grip with your knees to the frame and a light feathery grip with your hands on the controls...
cwtoyota
6/15/2016 9:14pm Edited Date/Time 6/15/2016 9:16pm
YZ450F2014 wrote:
Hi, When I ride I can do maybe one 20min motos and then my left hand start to hurt. I dont get blisters, I just get...
Hi,

When I ride I can do maybe one 20min motos and then my left hand start to hurt. I dont get blisters, I just get very sore and its hard to grip the handlebars as I should.

I have ordered boysens shock out grip so I hope it might help, but it is 3 weeks delivery so I have to wait and see.

I have tried different gloves and tried to tape the palm but it doesnt help much. I have tried different grips, thin grips, thicker grips, kevlar grips and so on. I have tried palm saver but it gets very thick and it feels weard to ride with.

I use a fot file to keep the calluses down in my hand. If I dont I get even more sore.

I have ridden 20h the last two month so its not because I dont ride enough eather.

It doesnt look to bad at the picture but it hurts pretty much when I ride and would be nice to get rid of the pain.

Are your bars bent? a bent set of bars can cause hand / arm pain.

Smaller diameter grips like full diamond Renthal, Pro-Taper or Scott SX-2 might help.

Lube your clutch cable and move the perch inward on the handlebar.
mx4all
5/31/2023 2:59pm

I did this post a few years ago from an old account I forgot my password to. Anyway,  I still struggle with my left hand when ridning a lot. 

Ride about 150h per year so I ride alot. 

Ride mostly enduro and some mx. Been doin some 3h motos lately as practice for an upcomming 3h enduro race. My left hand has been sore lately.  

I have tried palm savers, different grips and bars and gloves, magnesium, thin gloves inside the gloves, different tapes and ways to tape the hand. I tried ride without a left glove today and it feelt pretty good but I was sore allready but will try it again This weekend.  Felt naked tho. 

Anyone got the same issue or any advice I will gladely try it. 

RyanD797
Fantasy
377th
5/31/2023 3:34pm Edited Date/Time 5/31/2023 5:04pm

Edit: I'm not advocating the grips, the Boyesen Flex Grip

Nairb#70
5/31/2023 3:40pm

Steer clear of Renthal full diamond hard compound. Like hanging onto a cheese grater!

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
5/31/2023 3:41pm

OP, is your hand sore on the inside (muscles/tendons) or the outside (skin)? I'm guessing the former, as it seems that your callouses are built up. 

Try a different bar bend or position, raise your levers up a little, and contrary to what is stated above, try thicker grips. All those things have helped me. Finally, grip with your knees more. 

wwdiii
5/31/2023 4:14pm

My hands get sore too.  I’ve had nerve tunnel surgery on elbow and left hand.  My right goes numb pretty easy now days. Pro taper pillow grips help a little.  If I ever get a two stroke again I’ll do something like Mako 360 mount.  I’ve never done well with vibration.  If I use a framing nailer much it really sends my right hand south.  I wanted a cordless framing nailer but they have serious recoil.

I’ve always had a bad habit of gripping bars to tight, loosen grip and it helps hands, arm pump etc.

crc245
5/31/2023 4:25pm Edited Date/Time 5/31/2023 4:30pm

1. Buy some AME grips, glue on style in either half or full waffle are some of the comfiest around. Ask all the Baja and offroad riders who swear by them.

2. Change up your clutch habits: If you ride middle finger on it, try index finger. May have to slide the clutch inboard as well to get proper pull/feel.

3. Single layer/thinnest available gloves - None of those common doubled up palm or thumb ones. I know some guys who religiously cut off all the extra padding with the sharpest razor blade they can get their hands on.

Little things like these, while being conscious about leg grip and better bike setup/suspension settings, can go quite a ways. Best of luck and keep us updated!

BigRedMachine
6/1/2023 1:55pm Edited Date/Time 6/1/2023 2:01pm
YZ450F2014 wrote:
Hi, When I ride I can do maybe one 20min motos and then my left hand start to hurt. I dont get blisters, I just get...
Hi,

Not sure what the temperature is where you ride, but when it's cool my hands would get wind chilled cramped and sore, but I noticed when I purchased my 2022 KTM 350 that came stock with Hand guards, my hands stayed warmer by blocking the wind chill and it virtually eliminated my hands getting sore.  Put a set of Hand guards on the Honda CRF450 and same thing and I seem to be able to ride for longer periods of time without any hand pain.   Just something to think about, because the cold would make my hands almost feel like they were on fire sometimes they hurt so bad, but the hand guards worked wonders for me. 

These are the Cycra Rebounds that fold forward and they do a great job of blocking the air. 

cycra

SEEMEFIRST
6/1/2023 4:34pm

Aside from the aforementioned bar bend and trying to relax your grip, I used to run thin cotton gloves under the regular glove.

Like inspectors gloves. It seemed to eliminate the friction between the glove and hand. It was weird at first,  but got used to it quickly. 

I was doing 50 milers through the woods in the Texas heat.

Dirt.Squirt
6/1/2023 6:20pm

Gotta build thise baby’s up try using your left hand during “alone time” more often 

Post a reply to: My left hand gets very sore from riding - anyone got any tip on how to get rid of this issue?

The Latest