My Thoughts (And Yours If You wanna Add In) on The Leon MXGP

Anonymous (not verified)
Edited Date/Time 4/3/2017 4:05am
In no particular order.

Febrve: What’s with him? Has he been injured? Not feeling it? What gives? Same for Nagl.

Herlings: After seeing that picture of his hand from last week, I’m starting to lean towards the crowd that says his speed is off because of it. I still stand by my statement that he’s a rookie in the 450 class, and rookies usually struggle, but more and more I’m thinking that hand has him slowed. Malin talked a bit about him during the broadcast – wondering what was wrong with him. I was surprised he didn’t mention the hand. He said something about “confidence” and one other thing, but no mention of the hand (unless I just misheard him).

Gasjer: He’s just flying right now. He’s hitting all his marks and riding pretty much error free. Obviously he’s got the starts all sorted out.

TC222: What an impressive multi-time champion. Fast and smooth. I think maybe his age has taken a bit of his speed, but I don’t doubt with a good start and a track he loves, he can still lay waste to all of them.

Covington: Good motos from him – especially the 2nd. That’s his second victory there. I wonder what the deal is? Confidence carry over? Closer to home and feeling good about it? Hard pack track like that to his liking?

The track looked pretty gnarly, but not as gnarly as the usual GP track in Europe. Seemed pretty dry too. I had a hard time telling for sure, but seemed like a pretty good crowd showed up.

I'm sure I'll think of some more stuff, but for now - just a quick gathering of immediate thoughts.

|
Crush
4/3/2017 3:54am
Is Covington from Cali? That looks like cali hardpack shit to me that track, not fun.

I think AC will be better at the slower more technical tracks. Gasjer is a road racer on a moto bike, doesn't mind going fast at all...
4/3/2017 3:56am
Crush wrote:
Is Covington from Cali? That looks like cali hardpack shit to me that track, not fun. I think AC will be better at the slower more...
Is Covington from Cali? That looks like cali hardpack shit to me that track, not fun.

I think AC will be better at the slower more technical tracks. Gasjer is a road racer on a moto bike, doesn't mind going fast at all...
I'm not sure where he's from, Crush, but that's exactly what I was thinking. It did look like an old-fashioned California hardpack track.
Ray_MXS
4/3/2017 4:01am
Herlings is still injured. So is Febvre.
Not so bad they cant ride, but they will both be contenders for wins when healthy. Class i stacked this year so having a small nagging injury means your going from race contention to barely top 10s in a jiff.
TC222 is consistent and good again but he still needs some more speed to run with Gajser, who is on fucking rails.
Nagl I don´t really know, he hasnt been himself since the injury 2015.

Covington was really a confident thing. The 250class are all so close in speed that confidence is everything. Also probably resembles his home tracks. Covingtons championship issues comes in europe, when the sand is deep and the rocks are aplenty, He usually struggles more there.

The Shop

Motofinne
4/3/2017 4:02am
Crush wrote:
Is Covington from Cali? That looks like cali hardpack shit to me that track, not fun. I think AC will be better at the slower more...

I think he is from Alabama? But he has been living in California?

Well the Mexico track suits him because he is nowhere near that level on any other tracks, that is his biggest problem.

I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him going 12-10 in Italy.
philG
4/3/2017 4:16am
It was a pony track , Covington won there last year ( at least a moto) , so it looks like its his kind of going.

In MX1 , its a way deep field , and all of the top 15 can podium with a start, Febrve took a big digger pre season, and isn't back to form, Gajser is just off the scale, he has the Honda how he wants it, and can do no wrong.

AC was up for the battle , but had nothing for him, on a goat track that was hard to pass on as always , but when we get back to Europe, expect him to be there.

Paulin looks like he likes the Husky, best of the 3 when it would be easy to be the worst and still be top 10.. Nagl not had the best of starts, Anstie finding his feet well on the big bike.

JVH, Desalle , and Tonus all looking strong, that first Moto was a proper race, even though there was no passing, the pace was such that Bobby had 30 mins of pressure and didn't crack .

Herlings is 2 months behind where he should be and just looks 'off'.. not doing little doubles that he would have killed last year, I hope he gets back to where he needs to be, else its going to be a shame for us watching ... Trentino next
DeStouwer
4/3/2017 4:18am
Well, my 2 cents:

Gajser and Cairoli for sure are the two favourites, starting to gap the rest. Cairoli will need a very good GP in Trentino and has to hope Gajser drops some points, so when Valkenswaard and Kegums come round, Tony can pick up some more points. Pre season called contenders like Febvre and Herlings can see that the title is already out of reach, if they're realistic. Desalle looks a bit off since that second moto in Argentina, hope he turns it up again in Europe. Van Horebeek and Paulin (what a mint jersey!) seem to be better than previous years.

Dissappointments so far: Simpson, who is very mediocre barring his win in the atypical GP of Indonesia, I expected more of him, as is Coldenhoff and Nagl. And man, Guillod, what happened to him? He looks fat and out of shape.

In MX2 Seewer and Jonass will remain the biggest contenders. Paturel needs to get two good results instead of only one very soon. Lieber will podium some more, but I don't think he will be fighting for the title until the end. Hope KTM picks him up so he gets full factory support. Prado and Covington are both very inconsistent, but that's nothing new. I think Brylyakov can be fighting for podiums in the next few GP's. Bogers dissappoints me the most in this class, was thinking he would be fighting for top 5s every race, but he has difficulties getting into top 10.
TXDirt
4/3/2017 4:20am
Herlings should just take a month or two off and get healed up. I'm not sure what is being accomplished riding around in 8-15 place. It's slowing down the hand healing properly. Probably hurting his confidence as well. He's a top three guy. Should just take some time off and get the body right.
Fresh
Fantasy
3312th
4/3/2017 4:21am
thehenk wrote:
i think herlings should be on a 350
That makes sense
4/3/2017 4:24am Edited Date/Time 4/3/2017 4:26am
DeStouwer wrote:
Well, my 2 cents: Gajser and Cairoli for sure are the two favourites, starting to gap the rest. Cairoli will need a very good GP in...
Well, my 2 cents:

Gajser and Cairoli for sure are the two favourites, starting to gap the rest. Cairoli will need a very good GP in Trentino and has to hope Gajser drops some points, so when Valkenswaard and Kegums come round, Tony can pick up some more points. Pre season called contenders like Febvre and Herlings can see that the title is already out of reach, if they're realistic. Desalle looks a bit off since that second moto in Argentina, hope he turns it up again in Europe. Van Horebeek and Paulin (what a mint jersey!) seem to be better than previous years.

Dissappointments so far: Simpson, who is very mediocre barring his win in the atypical GP of Indonesia, I expected more of him, as is Coldenhoff and Nagl. And man, Guillod, what happened to him? He looks fat and out of shape.

In MX2 Seewer and Jonass will remain the biggest contenders. Paturel needs to get two good results instead of only one very soon. Lieber will podium some more, but I don't think he will be fighting for the title until the end. Hope KTM picks him up so he gets full factory support. Prado and Covington are both very inconsistent, but that's nothing new. I think Brylyakov can be fighting for podiums in the next few GP's. Bogers dissappoints me the most in this class, was thinking he would be fighting for top 5s every race, but he has difficulties getting into top 10.
I noticed that about Horebeek too. He seems more consistent.

Same thing with Simpson. Wondering what happened with him.
philG
4/3/2017 6:06am
Simpson is a sand/mud/ technical rider, hence wins at Lierop, Lommel and Indonesia.. on a one line blue grove he is wasted .. he will get results.

Guillod had on e good half season in MX2, where he looked like he would step up to the next level, but he didn't and doesn't look half the rider he was.

JVH looks happy for being injury free.

In MX2 , Prado seems to be suffering the same as Mewse, pressure of being the next big thing is too much, especially when you have to deliver every week. Bogers will be better in Europe, he looked good last year at the end.

4/3/2017 6:21am
Dude wins a race and it's because of a phony track? What? Time and time again the age old saying must be repeated: everyone races the same track.
kkawboy14
4/3/2017 6:25am Edited Date/Time 4/3/2017 6:26am
TXDirt wrote:
Herlings should just take a month or two off and get healed up. I'm not sure what is being accomplished riding around in 8-15 place. It's...
Herlings should just take a month or two off and get healed up. I'm not sure what is being accomplished riding around in 8-15 place. It's slowing down the hand healing properly. Probably hurting his confidence as well. He's a top three guy. Should just take some time off and get the body right.
Don't they usually get 2-3 weeks off between events? Maybe by the next event he will be good?
4/3/2017 6:27am
Dude wins a race and it's because of a phony track? What? Time and time again the age old saying must be repeated: everyone races the...
Dude wins a race and it's because of a phony track? What? Time and time again the age old saying must be repeated: everyone races the same track.
I don't think anyone said "phony." What has been said is he's good on hardpack.
philG
4/3/2017 6:50am
TXDirt wrote:
Herlings should just take a month or two off and get healed up. I'm not sure what is being accomplished riding around in 8-15 place. It's...
kkawboy14 wrote:
Don't they usually get 2-3 weeks off between events? Maybe by the next event he will be good?
In the week between Argentina, and Mexico , half the GP field were at Oss for the Dutch Nationals... no time off to speak of, always a race, some will do dutch/ Belgian/ German, others will do british, others French/Italian.
philG
4/3/2017 6:53am
Dude wins a race and it's because of a phony track? What? Time and time again the age old saying must be repeated: everyone races the...
No, he won cos he was fastest, he won the qualy race, and didn't win the first because he couldn't pass, in the second he got to the front and went away.

I guess the same applies in the sand, where he will get smoked ??

He rode well, as he did last year , he is getting better , just needs to find consistency.
themrtoad
4/3/2017 7:02am
DeStouwer wrote:
Well, my 2 cents: Gajser and Cairoli for sure are the two favourites, starting to gap the rest. Cairoli will need a very good GP in...
Well, my 2 cents:

I am also confused by Guillod, he doesn't look in great shape. If i remember right his Honda deal came together pretty late, so maybe he didn't work out as he should until he had a deal made? I also think he carried an injury, but even so he isn't riding near what I thought he would and could.

Both he and Herlings seems to be riding without confidence right now, and the other sharks can smell it and overtakes them easily.

I like Paturels riding style, but his starts isn't helping him. Lieber on the other hans makes great starts but seems to be riding pretty much on the edge. Entertaining to watch and hope he can keep it on two wheels.

Maybe the results will be more normal when it's back in Europe? Bogers really should improve for example. Coldenhoff to me is a great starter more than anything. The same goes for Nagl with 2015 being the exception.
Park Boys
Fantasy
39th
4/3/2017 7:02am
philG wrote:
No, he won cos he was fastest, he won the qualy race, and didn't win the first because he couldn't pass, in the second he got...
No, he won cos he was fastest, he won the qualy race, and didn't win the first because he couldn't pass, in the second he got to the front and went away.

He rode well, as he did last year , he is getting better , just needs to find consistency.
Remind me again, Who was the last guy to beat 84 in a Moto at a sand track.. I could have swore it was Thomas.
bents
Fantasy
909th
4/3/2017 7:07am
The riders are awesome and will race whatever is in front of them, but these crap locations and crap tracks need to go. Have fewer events then, but half empty gates in these terrible venues that don't grow the sport at all make no sense to me. The full time guys that race for teams that can afford to show up are fast as shit and professional in every way. From the video I saw it looked another barren chicken licks raceway and it is supposed to be a world championship. I don't get this philosophy at all outside of (from what people say) Loungo lining his pockets at these terrible venues.
Park Boys
Fantasy
39th
4/3/2017 7:10am
According to the majority of MXGP fans in my experience the series dosent get "real" till it hits Europe. Everyone just bitches about the fly away races sans Argentina. He will not get the respect he deserves until he beats his competition in their backyard.
Park Boys
Fantasy
39th
4/3/2017 7:15am Edited Date/Time 4/3/2017 7:16am
Motofinne wrote:
I think he is from Alabama? But he has been living in California? Well the Mexico track suits him because he is nowhere near that level...

Well the Mexico track suits him because he is nowhere near that level on any other tracks, that is his biggest problem.

He won a Moto in Assen last year.... pretty different set of circumstances I would say. His speed at tracks is good, his consistency is what is holding him back. I'm not even that big of a fan of his but he does not get that much respect IMO from Europeans and Americans alike.
philG
4/3/2017 7:17am
philG wrote:
No, he won cos he was fastest, he won the qualy race, and didn't win the first because he couldn't pass, in the second he got...

Park Boys wrote:
Remind me again, Who was the last guy to beat 84 in a Moto at a sand track.. I could have swore it was Thomas.
I thought it was Prado .. but yes , it was the mudder at Assen. . I wasn't there, but the sand races I have seen , he hasn't broken the top 10 which he needs to do to be a threat .
4/3/2017 7:20am Edited Date/Time 4/3/2017 7:41am
bents wrote:
The riders are awesome and will race whatever is in front of them, but these crap locations and crap tracks need to go. Have fewer events...
The riders are awesome and will race whatever is in front of them, but these crap locations and crap tracks need to go. Have fewer events then, but half empty gates in these terrible venues that don't grow the sport at all make no sense to me. The full time guys that race for teams that can afford to show up are fast as shit and professional in every way. From the video I saw it looked another barren chicken licks raceway and it is supposed to be a world championship. I don't get this philosophy at all outside of (from what people say) Loungo lining his pockets at these terrible venues.
I understand your point. What I like about it is at least they are trying to get all around the world. If it is a world championship, then it needs to go around the world. I think they're doing pretty well. Europe, Asia, South America, U.S. & Middle East. Pretty impressive. And those guys are racing on just about every kind of soil possible.

The more I watch, the more impressive I find the whole thing.
Motofinne
4/3/2017 7:21am Edited Date/Time 4/3/2017 7:22am
Motofinne wrote:
I think he is from Alabama? But he has been living in California? Well the Mexico track suits him because he is nowhere near that level...

Park Boys wrote:
He won a Moto in Assen last year.... pretty different set of circumstances I would say. His speed at tracks is good, his consistency is what...
He won a Moto in Assen last year.... pretty different set of circumstances I would say. His speed at tracks is good, his consistency is what is holding him back. I'm not even that big of a fan of his but he does not get that much respect IMO from Europeans and Americans alike.
Yeah i chose the wrong words there.

He can have the speed to win in some races but at the same time be a 10-25 rider in other races.

People expected him to be a top 5 rider from the get go because he has the speed. But he looks pretty much like the Covington from the last few years where he can show flashes of brilliance in 2-3 races but then be average at many others. That is why i instantly wrote in the race thread that the race in Italy in 2 weeks is HUGE for him. He really needs to be at least in the top 10 in both motos to keep this going.

Anyways, i'm really happy for him. It was pretty cool to see some emotion in the podium interview since it has been a rough start to the season for him. That is why Italy in 2 weeks will be crucial, to not go back to the "old" Covington who wins in Mexico and then just disappears in the next race!

rhargrave431
4/3/2017 7:26am
I still think AC will win it all. He has more tracks coming up that he excels at than he struggles at. Prado, I'm not sure where all the hype comes from...Roczen and Herlings were both leaps and bounds better than him at the same age. The mx2 class this year is wide open though!
ruy
4/3/2017 7:28am
philG wrote:
Simpson is a sand/mud/ technical rider, hence wins at Lierop, Lommel and Indonesia.. on a one line blue grove he is wasted .. he will get...
Simpson is a sand/mud/ technical rider, hence wins at Lierop, Lommel and Indonesia.. on a one line blue grove he is wasted .. he will get results.

Guillod had on e good half season in MX2, where he looked like he would step up to the next level, but he didn't and doesn't look half the rider he was.

JVH looks happy for being injury free.

In MX2 , Prado seems to be suffering the same as Mewse, pressure of being the next big thing is too much, especially when you have to deliver every week. Bogers will be better in Europe, he looked good last year at the end.

Prado are sick, stomach ache and without strength.

Yep
4/3/2017 7:29am
Was impressed with the camera/mic placement once they got it bug free. The moving camera in that corner was nice and the audio also, you could hear the difference in the riders styles and motor setup preferences.
I thought all the races were tight and action packed even with leader off on his own. Excellent racing from the worlds best.
4/3/2017 7:32am
bents wrote:
The riders are awesome and will race whatever is in front of them, but these crap locations and crap tracks need to go. Have fewer events...
I understand your point. What I like about it is at least they are trying to get all around the world. If it is a world...
I understand your point. What I like about it is at least they are trying to get all around the world. If it is a world championship, then it needs to go around the world. I think they're doing pretty well. Europe, Asia, South America, U.S. & Middle East. Pretty impressive. And those guys are racing on just about every kind of soil possible.

The more I watch, the more impressive I find the whole thing.
Also, bents, wanted to address your statement about "not growing the sport." How do you know? I saw a lot of kids in the crowd yesterday. Were the seeds planted for some future motocrossers from Mexico? The Qatar race, you could probably convince me of that one, but again, at least they are going to the M.E. It's a man-made track, but it races pretty good. Plus, it's just another test. You wanna be world champ, then you gotta go to Qatar and get some points at a place that is way different from your home on a different type of soil, has chicks with their heads covered, different food, different culture, etc., but that is part of the challenge.
St Ann More
4/3/2017 7:38am Edited Date/Time 4/3/2017 7:42am
philG wrote:

Park Boys wrote:
Nagl, Paulin, Simpson, Tonus, Anstie and Strijobos last weekend at Oss!
4/3/2017 7:55am
Yep wrote:
Was impressed with the camera/mic placement once they got it bug free. The moving camera in that corner was nice and the audio also, you could...
Was impressed with the camera/mic placement once they got it bug free. The moving camera in that corner was nice and the audio also, you could hear the difference in the riders styles and motor setup preferences.
I thought all the races were tight and action packed even with leader off on his own. Excellent racing from the worlds best.
I noticed that too, and I thought the same things you did.

Post a reply to: My Thoughts (And Yours If You wanna Add In) on The Leon MXGP

The Latest