My Fox Gear

Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 6:22pm
... is falling apart.

I saved up to get some brand new Fox gear. I've always used Fox, since I was on 80's. In fact my dad did too back when bikes were still air cooled and Fox was more widely know as Moto X Fox. So I followed his tradition.

Anyhow - back then I always remember that my Fox gear lasted season after season. I grew out of it before it broke. What happened?

It's not like Fox is a cheap brand. After about 10 rides the "leather" knee patches on the inside of the pants are both torn to pieces,and the stitching is coming loose all over the show. I paid much of my hard earned money on this gear only to be disappointed.

Do we get the bad stuff here, did I get unlucky? Or is this new quality a global problem?

Before Fox was the only brand I'd ride in, been riding in them forever. I'm now 30 years old - and for the first time I am in the market for another brand, any suggestions?

I don't care if it looks cool or not, I just want it to do the job and last at least one season. Other brands that last are... ?
|
MCfan4life
1/7/2010 2:27am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:50pm
Answer alpha gear or oneal hardwear is also bulletproof. We have to remember though that it's a cut-throat market these days and everything is made to a certain budget. We only have ourselves, as bargain huting consumers, to blame. Gear actually hasn't gone up much in price really in the last 10 yrs (some gear is actually cheaper). But manufacturers can't run at a loss and therefore need to lower their manufacturing costs in order to maintain lower retail prices.

As consumers we all want a bargain (naturally) and manufacturers recognize that.

Also worth mentioning is all pants with leather knees come with special care instructions for washing. Were these followed?

Have you tried returning it to where you bought it or contacted Fox directly? These companies are usually willing to help reach an amicable solution.

I saw the same thing happen to Thor Core pants when they were the first to go to leather knees a few years back and it was usually incorrect washing that caused it (not saying yours is) as people didn't read the special washing instructions.

I hope you get it sorted and remember when dealing with Fox or your dealer ranting and raving will usually get you nowhere...good luck
1/7/2010 2:35am
My dads old Fox gear (yes he still rides) gets washed the same way (in a washing machine) as my brand new gear. His old stuff has been washed this way many more times than mine has, yet his gear is still going strong. Mine are wrecked.

Fox here are just a small agency, and with the retail we are paying for MX stuff here, I really doubt I'll get any sort of replacement. Would be nice though.

I'll check if I am washing incorrectly, but it's just a standard cold water machine wash. Same way I have always washed my gear.

MCfan4life
1/7/2010 4:26am
No worries just something to check. Fabric softeners are a definate NO NO!!!

The Shop

Renner153
Fantasy
3578th
1/7/2010 5:36am
Troy Lee Designs all the way. best gear out there
blair
1/7/2010 6:32am
One Industries!!! Stuff is great and they back the product so well!!! I had a pair last year and the zipper messed up on them. Called them up and they sent me a pair of the 2010 pants for my trouble!! They had a run of bad zippers and didn't hassle me at all, just replaced them for me FREE!!! Great company and the new gear is top notch!!
RNagy052
1/7/2010 6:44am
Dump FOX and go MSR. The MSR gear lasts a long time.
Wandell
1/7/2010 7:18am
I just wash our gear in the washer on the delicate cycle and then hang it up to air dry. What do you guys do? What do you do on the leather knee inserts? Years ago I treated the leather patches with leather conditioner after they dried. What do you guys do to the leather on the newer gear?
1/7/2010 7:21am
It's going to be a washing issue with those pants. Check and follow the instructions. I've experienced the same problems you are having but with multiple other brands, many of which were named above. Turned out the fault was of my own due to just throwing the gear in the washer like what had worked for me in the past.

Fox makes a great product and has done just the opposite of straying away from quality control over the years.
Big Lenny
1/7/2010 7:21am
... is falling apart. I saved up to get some brand new Fox gear. I've always used Fox, since I was on 80's. In fact my...
... is falling apart.

I saved up to get some brand new Fox gear. I've always used Fox, since I was on 80's. In fact my dad did too back when bikes were still air cooled and Fox was more widely know as Moto X Fox. So I followed his tradition.

Anyhow - back then I always remember that my Fox gear lasted season after season. I grew out of it before it broke. What happened?

It's not like Fox is a cheap brand. After about 10 rides the "leather" knee patches on the inside of the pants are both torn to pieces,and the stitching is coming loose all over the show. I paid much of my hard earned money on this gear only to be disappointed.

Do we get the bad stuff here, did I get unlucky? Or is this new quality a global problem?

Before Fox was the only brand I'd ride in, been riding in them forever. I'm now 30 years old - and for the first time I am in the market for another brand, any suggestions?

I don't care if it looks cool or not, I just want it to do the job and last at least one season. Other brands that last are... ?
I bought some FOX gear in '02 that I still have that is still holding up, I bought some of the newer stuff and it's already falling apart...
mmcmx
1/7/2010 7:25am
The new knee braces destroy them. The set of gear that lasted the longer for me was shift.
1/7/2010 7:29am Edited Date/Time 1/7/2010 7:30am
It's going to be a washing issue with those pants. Check and follow the instructions. I've experienced the same problems you are having but with multiple...
It's going to be a washing issue with those pants. Check and follow the instructions. I've experienced the same problems you are having but with multiple other brands, many of which were named above. Turned out the fault was of my own due to just throwing the gear in the washer like what had worked for me in the past.

Fox makes a great product and has done just the opposite of straying away from quality control over the years.
As I've said I have never changed washing regime - cold water machine wash. I don't see why the 10 year old FOX stuff is still going strong using the same wash, and the stuff bought last year is disintegrating. BL's post seems to confirm this.
YAMABOB
1/7/2010 8:25am
Do you use an oxygenated laundry detergent?

That is the #1 cause of the deterioration of the leather panels in the knees.

Something like OXYClean works great on the nylon/ polyester parts of the pants but strips all the natural oils out of the leather and makes it dry,brittle and it eventually just falls apart.

Most companies have added a comment about oxygenated detergents to the washing instructions.

The 10 year old pants probably don't have leather in the knees which may be why those have not been affected. Leather did not come back into MX pants until after 4 strokes became the norm (Circa 2001-2).

Ketchum

Post a reply to: My Fox Gear

The Latest