My .02 on RV's knee

GuyB
Fantasy
1315th
5/5/2014 5:45pm Edited Date/Time 9/4/2014 12:08am
I'd heard lots of stories on RV's knee during the SX season. For example, that he'd blown out an ACL as early as Phoenix, had popped it out during the main in Detroit, that it was taking lots of athletic tape for every ride, and that it was going to require surgery at some point.

In Seattle he told me he had an issue with his knee, and then a week later at press day for New Jersey it was, "If I have an issue."

I also chose to take his word at face value when he said, "We're racing Nationals," and, "We're going racing."

All while at the same time he's grumping about the discussion of it in here. We weren't the source, we were just a place where a lot of discussion was taking place.

I'll miss him this summer. I'll be looking forward to watching in the future. Buying into what he says? Maybe not so much.
|
5/5/2014 5:48pm
He deserves heat for lying. Especially after his multiple slights towards people who post on here. Anyone who knows about this site is above anything else, a hardcore fan of the sport. He was disrespectful.
IWreckALot
5/5/2014 5:51pm Edited Date/Time 5/5/2014 5:53pm
Dart Board wrote:
He deserves heat for lying. Especially after his multiple slights towards people who post on here. Anyone who knows about this site is above anything else...
He deserves heat for lying. Especially after his multiple slights towards people who post on here. Anyone who knows about this site is above anything else, a hardcore fan of the sport. He was disrespectful.
It's been mentioned before but what he was saying likely wasn't his words. Your frustration is likely misguided. Unfortunately we don't have the source of what he was saying so he gets the responsibility. Personally I don't hold him accountable. I also don't particularly care what he says to the degree some others do. It would have been nice to know the truth as it was known but none of us are in that position.
Crush
5/5/2014 5:53pm
I reckon it had to be a Kawi PR or Management decision, he's been a pretty honest interview over the years, what did he have to gain by playing it like this.

Either way, the dickwads won't forgive him, or even feel that they've been slighted. None of anyone's business and if it means he's back healthy in SX for 15 instead of just retiring then i'll take it. I wanna see a good fight for next years SX title!
DonM
5/5/2014 5:54pm
The Metcalf, Josh Hill deal was done a few weeks ago so it is a little disappointing that Kawi and Villo weren't upfront with everything. I understand that he didn't want people to know he was hurt, but it was the worst kept secret since RC signed with Suz, I would hope that Villo and Kawi would respect the fans a little more than what they eventually showed.

The Shop

Darryl916
5/5/2014 5:56pm
This is the site to go to for the best bench racing and the true pulse of the sport at the higher levels. That is all.....
zippy895
5/5/2014 6:01pm
no reason for you to explain your side. now vitards are going to question everything you write now.and not believe you,if its true or not.
plus,some vitards are going to attack you for knowing stuff ,they feel you should have mentioned earlier...
2thefront
5/5/2014 6:08pm
I have no problem with RV saying "as of now, I'm racing". Contracts sometimes make you do that.

What I do have a problem with is people here jumping on guys like Matthes, JT and everyone who believed what they were saying when a whole lot of evidence supported what they were saying. I never "knew" that RV was 100% not racing the nationals but everything lined up with what credible people were saying. There was reason to be skeptical in this case for sure.
Darryl916
5/5/2014 6:10pm
Crush wrote:
I reckon it had to be a Kawi PR or Management decision, he's been a pretty honest interview over the years, what did he have to...
I reckon it had to be a Kawi PR or Management decision, he's been a pretty honest interview over the years, what did he have to gain by playing it like this.

Either way, the dickwads won't forgive him, or even feel that they've been slighted. None of anyone's business and if it means he's back healthy in SX for 15 instead of just retiring then i'll take it. I wanna see a good fight for next years SX title!
That's where you are wrong. IT IS OUR BUSINESS! I get so annoyed when people say something a public figure does isn't our business. It became out business when they chose to become a public figure. Their lives became just that, PUBLIC. Specially when it is directly related to the area/sport in which they are famous for in the first place. We aren't attacking him about his home life or anything. We are talking moto here. Criticism is fair game in my opinion.

With that said, team PR or not, it seems to me like he fed us some BS. He's rich and could care less so it is what it is.
zook11
5/5/2014 6:10pm
So he's been dealing with this since Phoenix? No wonder he was struggling at the first half of the races.
Zracer
5/5/2014 6:12pm
Crush wrote:
I reckon it had to be a Kawi PR or Management decision, he's been a pretty honest interview over the years, what did he have to...

When you stand in front of a microphone and state something as fact you are making it the publics business. No comment ...fine. We will see after the sx season ... fine. He called people out as liars when it was he who did not tell the truth. Its human nature to not trust someone who is capable of that.
Crush
5/5/2014 6:13pm Edited Date/Time 5/5/2014 6:17pm
Darryl916 wrote:
That's where you are wrong. IT IS OUR BUSINESS! I get so annoyed when people say something a public figure does isn't our business. It became...
That's where you are wrong. IT IS OUR BUSINESS! I get so annoyed when people say something a public figure does isn't our business. It became out business when they chose to become a public figure. Their lives became just that, PUBLIC. Specially when it is directly related to the area/sport in which they are famous for in the first place. We aren't attacking him about his home life or anything. We are talking moto here. Criticism is fair game in my opinion.

With that said, team PR or not, it seems to me like he fed us some BS. He's rich and could care less so it is what it is.
I really don't agree.

Being a public figure means you are in the public eye. You still have a choice as to what you share or not. Whomever made this choice or convinced him to say this, or however it played out, it is a choice, not a responsibility.

I agree he'll cop flak for it, I just don't think I or you or anyone else, has a right to know what's going on with a personal issue. If he chooses to share it, great, and the fans will like him for it, but I won't bash someone cause they choose not to.
rebus
5/5/2014 6:15pm
GuyB wrote:
I'd heard lots of stories on RV's knee during the SX season. For example, that he'd blown out an ACL as early as Phoenix, had popped...
I'd heard lots of stories on RV's knee during the SX season. For example, that he'd blown out an ACL as early as Phoenix, had popped it out during the main in Detroit, that it was taking lots of athletic tape for every ride, and that it was going to require surgery at some point.

In Seattle he told me he had an issue with his knee, and then a week later at press day for New Jersey it was, "If I have an issue."

I also chose to take his word at face value when he said, "We're racing Nationals," and, "We're going racing."

All while at the same time he's grumping about the discussion of it in here. We weren't the source, we were just a place where a lot of discussion was taking place.

I'll miss him this summer. I'll be looking forward to watching in the future. Buying into what he says? Maybe not so much.
But really, with all the pressure he is under, who could blame him fro saying what he said?

Sad to see RV not there. He is the best of the current generation, and teh series will NOT be the same without him.
Crush
5/5/2014 6:16pm
Zracer wrote:
When you stand in front of a microphone and state something as fact you are making it the publics business. No comment ...fine. We will see...
When you stand in front of a microphone and state something as fact you are making it the publics business. No comment ...fine. We will see after the sx season ... fine. He called people out as liars when it was he who did not tell the truth. Its human nature to not trust someone who is capable of that.
It's still entirely possible that it played out just how he said, he went to the Doctor and had it reviewed and they made a decision.

He did race a lot of SX races with it.

As for stating facts, he said, as of right now, we're going outdoors. That's enough wiggle room for me, and either way, it doesn't grind my gears. He's not the first person in the sport to be weird about making injuries public or not, and be won't be the last, you can stamp that!!!
marx41
Fantasy
1021st
5/5/2014 6:28pm
Crush wrote:
It's still entirely possible that it played out just how he said, he went to the Doctor and had it reviewed and they made a decision...
It's still entirely possible that it played out just how he said, he went to the Doctor and had it reviewed and they made a decision.

He did race a lot of SX races with it.

As for stating facts, he said, as of right now, we're going outdoors. That's enough wiggle room for me, and either way, it doesn't grind my gears. He's not the first person in the sport to be weird about making injuries public or not, and be won't be the last, you can stamp that!!!
And they happened to have Metcalfe out of his Canada contract and signed up for nationals already? He knew, he (they?) lied, and it just doesn't seem necessary.
5/5/2014 6:30pm
If you didn't get just a lil bit more excited about nationals after hearing the RV news then go home
Crush
5/5/2014 6:31pm
Kawi might have been pushing for him to try it out or wait and see and decided to put a contigency plan in place.

What if he was gonna try tough it out and both parties knew it probably wouldn't last the season. Why not bring Metty in.

Either way, I just don't care as much as everyone seems to I guess, like I get it, feel slighted, but really, is it fucking up your day?
sclark309d
Fantasy
2142nd
5/5/2014 6:35pm
what if RV didn't think the knee was that bad, then the doc TODAY told him otherwise and changed his plans?
pamoto
5/5/2014 6:36pm
sclark309d wrote:
what if RV didn't think the knee was that bad, then the doc TODAY told him otherwise and changed his plans?
Yea, that happened, hahaha.
Hut
5/5/2014 6:37pm
I am not more excited with RV out; I want to see the best going at it not just the rest.
Kinda shitty about the crawfishing but oh well hope he heals up good and quick.
BigDaddyG
5/5/2014 6:39pm
This sucks. I wanted to see him work everyone over outdoors. It was his title to lose.....hope he gets healthy, gets his 5th sx title and kills them outdoors in 2015. RV is the man as he has proven many times over as a pro.
Dungey and KTM are huge benefactors here...
Zracer
sclark309d wrote:
So you think Kawi had him race a totally meaningless Vegas SX and didnt know the extent of damage to his knee? You really think that Ryan went all this time with his knee bothering him and didnt see a doctor? You guys are nuts.
ACBraap
Fantasy
444th
I'm generally a fan of racing, not particular racers. That said, I've always liked the way RV went about things and what seemed like honest interviews. Taking the summer to get a knee fixed is a good decision. Lying to fans isn't cool though, and I call this lying.

"So are you riding the Nationals this year?
I am riding Nationals. Have you not seen anything up until this point saying otherwise?

Yes, we’ve seen tons of stuff saying otherwise!
Yeah on Vital MX!

Yeah, not from you, but that’s why we’re asking you right now. So you’re riding the Nationals?
At this point in time I’m riding the Nationals, yes. Otherwise you can go read Vital if you want."

Now, if he can ride like that with no ACL, 7 straight may be possible. And the summer will likely be more interesting. Either way, I'm less of an RV fan than I was before. Lying blows.
Crush
5/5/2014 6:42pm
sclark309d wrote:
STOP IT!

HE LIED HE LIED!!! IT DOESN'T MATTER, HE LIED!!!

haha...
rebus
5/5/2014 6:43pm
BigDaddyG wrote:
This sucks. I wanted to see him work everyone over outdoors. It was his title to lose.....hope he gets healthy, gets his 5th sx title and...
This sucks. I wanted to see him work everyone over outdoors. It was his title to lose.....hope he gets healthy, gets his 5th sx title and kills them outdoors in 2015. RV is the man as he has proven many times over as a pro.
Dungey and KTM are huge benefactors here...
That's bullshit and you know it.
5/5/2014 6:45pm
Hut wrote:
I am not more excited with RV out; I want to see the best going at it not just the rest. Kinda shitty about the crawfishing...
I am not more excited with RV out; I want to see the best going at it not just the rest.
Kinda shitty about the crawfishing but oh well hope he heals up good and quick.
There would be no "going at it" if RV was riding. That's the problem! I love watching him ride as fast as he does, but I think things just got a bit more interesting for this upcoming series.
sclark309d
Fantasy
2142nd
5/5/2014 6:46pm
sclark309d wrote:
Crush wrote:
STOP IT!

HE LIED HE LIED!!! IT DOESN'T MATTER, HE LIED!!!

haha...
yeah - crazy - all of us who weren't there gots all the facts.

NOW I get it.
machine
5/5/2014 6:48pm
I do think this was poorly handled by the team,however, i'm sure he had to keep it hush hush for a reason.
5/5/2014 6:48pm
WOW hes been nursing it along THAT LONG???? Blink

And he was still able to clinch the championship NEARLY two races early in the deepest field of talent and do it with a dominating season end! Unreal! The guy is truly an animal!
And I commend him for not ever playing the excuse card about it.!

Just goes to show what a solid work ethic looks like. Maybe some of you keyboard hero's on here could take some notes!
Crush
5/5/2014 6:49pm
machine wrote:
I do think this was poorly handled by the team,however, i'm sure he had to keep it hush hush for a reason.
Yeah definitely not the best way to handle it, but lets face it, injuries in SX/MX have been voodoo for the teams for ever.
5/5/2014 6:53pm
Let me be his PR guy. Ryan, try this:

Ryan are you racing outdoors?

"We know that there is an issue I am dealing with. The number one goal is to get through the Supercross series and come out on top. After that things are up in the air. It will come down to what the Dr., the team, and I decide. I'll keep you updated."

"PS, the guys on Vital are always right"

Post a reply to: My .02 on RV's knee

The Latest