Mxa and jody

Edited Date/Time 3/14/2015 9:42am
...was just reading my latest issue of mxa and it got me thinking. Over the years I have seen mxa and jody take some flack on this site and I was woundering why, (I am from uk). For me one of the best bits is reading body's box stories.., the guy seems legit and seems to have a vast knowledge of all things moto! I only hope I will be riding at his age. As for the magazine I believe it's the best American mag av came across.. Most of the others I read have loads of advertising with very little decent content, I know mxa can be a bit the same when it comes to bike tests... Up a tooth on the rear etc but they do seem to be pretty thorough and provide good info.
So am I missing something???
|
5/12/2014 5:13am Edited Date/Time 5/12/2014 5:18am
MXA was the staple of my life from 1984-1993. I think people on vital think that the mag is just "going through the motions" nowadays and is a running 'pro-circuit' advertisement. Seems like every bike they test needs a tooth in the back and a new triple clamp offset lol. Still, I have a big soft spot for mxa because they molded the way I thought about mx, the bikes, and riders. Jody did a big disservice to the mag with his comments about Dave Thorpe after the 86 mxdn though. Called him a spode and an amateur. A magazine editor calling the multi time world champ a spode? Alrighty. I never forgot that bullsht because of how petty and stupid it was. Thorpe was a class act to me, and a hero.
hillbilly
5/12/2014 5:18am
Americans cant stand someone who knows more than them.

Most on here know a lot and dont have much to get bent about.

A few here know nothing and are bent all the time.
5/12/2014 5:27am
I get so nostalgic thinking of the golden years of mxa. The 1980's were an exciting time to be a young kid reading about mx in mxa. Growing old sucks.
5/12/2014 5:28am
MXA was the staple of my life from 1984-1993. I think people on vital think that the mag is just "going through the motions" nowadays and...
MXA was the staple of my life from 1984-1993. I think people on vital think that the mag is just "going through the motions" nowadays and is a running 'pro-circuit' advertisement. Seems like every bike they test needs a tooth in the back and a new triple clamp offset lol. Still, I have a big soft spot for mxa because they molded the way I thought about mx, the bikes, and riders. Jody did a big disservice to the mag with his comments about Dave Thorpe after the 86 mxdn though. Called him a spode and an amateur. A magazine editor calling the multi time world champ a spode? Alrighty. I never forgot that bullsht because of how petty and stupid it was. Thorpe was a class act to me, and a hero.
Haha I hear u there man!

The Shop

MotoX85
5/12/2014 5:52am
Use to be a big fan and it was the only mag I read. Got tired of hearing Jody tell everyone how great he is/was and now I cannot stand the biased articles. Like mentioned above, every bike needs a tooth in the rear, offset clamps AND a flywheel weight (that all the factories secretly run). Well I am here to tell you that my 13 yr old says his 250 2t is slow with a weighted flywheel, and if his 140Lb ass says so, then I think a full size rider would say the factories are secretly lying to Jody.

However all the mags suck nowadays. Transworld is the Bro-dork-poser-cross crowd. and Racer X is just a promotional flyer for all the "amateur national" series that mxsports runs (Carmichael at Daytona, McGrath at Mammoth, Stewart and Freestone, Mini O's and Lorettas) with no media coverage for anything else. You want to know what killed RC Car racing, too many nationals and everyone stopped local racing, guess what path MX is headed And I swear they are trying to get rid of pro MX. They are still talking SX this and SX that next year and we haven't even started the MX series yet.
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
5/12/2014 6:01am
I think MXA lost some of its teeth and credibility about the same time 4-strokes took over. They kind of drew a line in the sand that they would only report so much and no more. MXA and Jody are still good writers and do excellent bike tests, but they are now more like clanging symbols rather than true-to-life jounalists. Sad.
newmann
5/12/2014 6:07am
I like MXA. I also like Racer X. Two different mags, two different reasons. I'll always flip through MXA right off the bat and continue to go over it as time permits. Racer X may lay around for months before I read them, most of their stuff doesn't have an expiration date on it. I'll pull Racer X out of my archives for some good reading for years and years. Good stuff, love me some print.
Mouse153
5/12/2014 6:15am
As a young kid I would get so excited when my uncle would give me his copy of MXA after he was done reading it. I still get that feeling when mine arrives in the mail today 30+ years later. I don't get wrapped around the axles over what it is/isn't and who thinks they know more than others. I just read it like I always have and enjoy it for what it is.
pete24
5/12/2014 6:20am
i think mxa is the only mag out there, Jody, imo, tells the truth in what he believes, you cant ask for more than that, i miss Rondo tho
5/12/2014 6:22am
MotoX85 wrote:
Use to be a big fan and it was the only mag I read. Got tired of hearing Jody tell everyone how great he is/was and...
Use to be a big fan and it was the only mag I read. Got tired of hearing Jody tell everyone how great he is/was and now I cannot stand the biased articles. Like mentioned above, every bike needs a tooth in the rear, offset clamps AND a flywheel weight (that all the factories secretly run). Well I am here to tell you that my 13 yr old says his 250 2t is slow with a weighted flywheel, and if his 140Lb ass says so, then I think a full size rider would say the factories are secretly lying to Jody.

However all the mags suck nowadays. Transworld is the Bro-dork-poser-cross crowd. and Racer X is just a promotional flyer for all the "amateur national" series that mxsports runs (Carmichael at Daytona, McGrath at Mammoth, Stewart and Freestone, Mini O's and Lorettas) with no media coverage for anything else. You want to know what killed RC Car racing, too many nationals and everyone stopped local racing, guess what path MX is headed And I swear they are trying to get rid of pro MX. They are still talking SX this and SX that next year and we haven't even started the MX series yet.
Outdoor mx is not long for this world im afraid. Not enough sponsor exposure, and eventually factories will plead poverty and start concentrating on sx only. I hope im wrong because I despise sx compared to outdoors.
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
5/12/2014 6:35am Edited Date/Time 5/12/2014 7:23am
MotoX85 wrote:
Use to be a big fan and it was the only mag I read. Got tired of hearing Jody tell everyone how great he is/was and...

Outdoor mx is not long for this world im afraid. Not enough sponsor exposure, and eventually factories will plead poverty and start concentrating on sx only...
Outdoor mx is not long for this world im afraid. Not enough sponsor exposure, and eventually factories will plead poverty and start concentrating on sx only. I hope im wrong because I despise sx compared to outdoors.
I would credit MXA for getting me back into motocross. I would live for my issue in the 80s all the way through 2006-7. Man, everything was great for dirt bikes during those years and MXA was the staple of it all.

I don't read RacerX, or Transworld. I may read Dirt Rider every now and then.

Local racing was doomed from 06, as soon as 4-strokes took over completely. The Outdoors may last another 4-5 years. All the rest will be a slow death.
5/12/2014 6:50am Edited Date/Time 5/12/2014 7:49am
As far as bike tests go, there's none better imo. MXA leave no stone unturned and seem willing to spend a small fortune testing all year round. Credit where credit's due - no other magazine comes close for sheer dedication to testing bikes and various products.

Where they get on my nerves from time to time is with their derogatory remarks toward the GP riders; the latest (posted just this last week) being that Tony and Jeffrey are "big fish in small ponds". After the last MXDN they even had a brief mini meltdown proclaiming that the last two tracks had been purposely chosen to thwart the AMA riders, and basically that they were too rough (they then thought better of it and changed that part of the article). Fair enough... the authorities that run the GPs deserve a bit of heat here and there for some of their crazy rule changes. But really at this point the GP riders themselves deserve more respect for their speed..
crf250pilot
5/12/2014 6:54am Edited Date/Time 5/12/2014 6:55am
MotoX85 wrote:

Going to have agree with MXA on the flywheel weight. At least here in AZ, a flywheel weight on a yz250 is a must for hooking up on any hard pack surface.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
5/12/2014 7:00am
Print is dead.

I held on for as long as I could, and I still get Racer X and Dirt Rider, but I don't even read them anymore.

I cancelled my subscription to PC World when they went ALL digital.

Too busy exploring Colorado...
Jarid332
Fantasy
1658th
5/12/2014 7:03am
I love how Jody was all for the the US GP and was slurping the hell out of Luongo and then when GH was left of the schedule for 2012 and the MXDN got pushed back to 2017, Jody went right back to bashing him and the GP's.
CR250Rider
5/12/2014 7:14am
MXA is still the best.
1) the Internet really hurt magazine stories about the races because you can get that information as it happens live
2) bike tests aren't as relevant as they used to be because frankly all the bikes out there are pretty darn awesome
5/12/2014 7:20am
I still look forward to the 5th-9th every month when my MXA arrives ! Still the best core moto magazine there is for bikes, test and products !!!
davistld01
5/12/2014 7:22am
I've always been an MXA fan for many reasons...first that Jody is my age, and from my home state, and although we never raced together that I know of we know some of the same people. He has been there & done that, and seems like a pretty good dude too. I like him.

Secondly, I believe that they report what they feel about a bike with no bias, unlike some others. Some say they recommend an extra tooth on every sprocket and an offset set of clamps on every bike...but at least they're honest and don't recommend the average guy spend $5000 on a hot-rod motor and suspension work just to please their pet sponsors!

Thirdly, they are a "family friendly" publication, and don't allow any of the sexed up ads from aftermarket companies that other magazines are filled with. Roland Hinz is the publisher, and is a Christian man who is very careful to keep anything that might be offensive to parents of the kids that are the DNA of our sport out of MXA, and others that he publishes. Whether you share his belief system or not, you have to admire him for doing what he feels is right and keep publishing a quality moto-magazine that has stood the test of time.
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
5/12/2014 7:30am Edited Date/Time 5/12/2014 7:30am
I'm still waiting for a complete 250cc test - KXF YZF CRF RMZ SX YZ. Most of the amateur races allow all 250s, and most of the readers of MXA are amateurs, but MXA will not touch this kind of a shootout with a 10-foot pole.
5/12/2014 7:48am
burn1986 wrote:
I'm still waiting for a complete 250cc test - KXF YZF CRF RMZ SX YZ. Most of the amateur races allow all 250s, and most of...
I'm still waiting for a complete 250cc test - KXF YZF CRF RMZ SX YZ. Most of the amateur races allow all 250s, and most of the readers of MXA are amateurs, but MXA will not touch this kind of a shootout with a 10-foot pole.
They realize that the average target audience for a 250F (scrawny hipster 16 yr old child) would not touch a 250 two-stroke with a 10ft pole either, sadly. You try explaining to them that the bike makes 15 more hp, and weighs 25lbs less, and they neither understand you, nor give a rat's ass and just want to ride what their friends ride.

Jody hails from the old-school. He is an opinionated rough-neck, like most old schoolers. I think his wit, and opinions are lost on the current generation of thin-skinned, self-entitled, "ears-in" crowd. I would be willing to bet if you took a survey you'd find that everyone responding to this thread positively about MXA is over 30.

I like MXA myself and the only thing that turns me off is how "pro-fourstroke" they were in 2001 when the YZ250F dropped, and how they are now anti-fooper and pro two-stroke. Other than that, I enjoy their approach, versus the "every product we get to test for free is great" approach of the other comic books.
burn1986
Fantasy
3303rd
5/12/2014 8:23am
I think everyone was pro 4-stroke when they first came out, me included. No one really knew the impact it would have on the sport. MXA rode that wave until they, like us saw the impact it had on the sport. Then they started crying foul.
newmann
5/12/2014 8:49am
burn1986 wrote:
I think everyone was pro 4-stroke when they first came out, me included. No one really knew the impact it would have on the sport. MXA...
I think everyone was pro 4-stroke when they first came out, me included. No one really knew the impact it would have on the sport. MXA rode that wave until they, like us saw the impact it had on the sport. Then they started crying foul.
First thing I thought was "legalized cheating" and that they would sell like hotcakes. They did.

I was never interested in a 400 or 450 but the thought of a 250F for a 125 lover like myself who was getting old and fat seemed like the perfect bike. And it was, until it scattered in grand fashion. But I also realized the first time I rode it sitting next to my 99 KX125 that if these bikes were allowed to compete side by side with a double displacement advantage that the 125 class would soon be extinct. Damn shame.
elementmx
5/12/2014 8:55am
Oh godd...no wonder this place gets such a bad rap, its full of mxa readers! DizzyDizzy
Boxermann
5/12/2014 8:56am
I think the dirt rider guys and motorcycle USA provide the best bike test
motosmith
5/12/2014 9:51am
As a kid I would check the mailbox every day waiting for MXA to arrive. I read that thing cover to cover two or three times in a month. Then cut the pictures out and staple them to my bedroom wall.

Awesome mag.
rebus
5/12/2014 10:08am
...was just reading my latest issue of mxa and it got me thinking. Over the years I have seen mxa and jody take some flack on...
...was just reading my latest issue of mxa and it got me thinking. Over the years I have seen mxa and jody take some flack on this site and I was woundering why, (I am from uk). For me one of the best bits is reading body's box stories.., the guy seems legit and seems to have a vast knowledge of all things moto! I only hope I will be riding at his age. As for the magazine I believe it's the best American mag av came across.. Most of the others I read have loads of advertising with very little decent content, I know mxa can be a bit the same when it comes to bike tests... Up a tooth on the rear etc but they do seem to be pretty thorough and provide good info.
So am I missing something???
Because MXA's opinion doesn't fit with the popular opinions here. They actually think for themselves.
peelout
5/12/2014 10:27am
i still like the print magazine, but their website is absolutely horrible
JM485
5/12/2014 10:29am
Boxermann wrote:
I think the dirt rider guys and motorcycle USA provide the best bike test
Agreed. I have been a loyal DR reader for years and think they do a great job with their tests. I have read a few MXAs and I actually really like their magazine as well, but I'm still partial to DR.
BAMX
5/12/2014 10:50am
peelout wrote:
i still like the print magazine, but their website is absolutely horrible
I don't go there much but last time I was there, they had updated it. It looks a lot better and seems to have some more content than before.
JordanB
5/12/2014 11:53am
Ac 92 called us all Vitards a few times on the vegas pulpcast.

Since JT and Matthes and DV are here, we are all in good company.

Post a reply to: Mxa and jody

The Latest