Mx track maintenance question

aroark247
Anyone on here with track prep experience- I help maintain the local track and we are looking at buying a track loader/skidsteer, probably used, but what would be best recommendation for brand and size
|
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
10/4/2016 10:56am
Largest low hour cat track machine you can find. It will be ready and willing when you need it.
crusher773
10/4/2016 11:50am
However big you think you will ever possibly need. Go about 2 more options up from that.
Hammer 663s
10/4/2016 12:25pm
Skidsteer is nice to have for really precise final prep, but you really need a dozer with rippers, and then a 4x4 bucket with a good tiller. You can do rough prep, face work, whoops, and finish prep with those 2 together. Small tracks can do with smaller/cheaper gear but it you are running a big track then go big.
OldYZRider1
10/4/2016 12:28pm
Between the two, I'd lean to getting a Compact Track Loader. You can push into things better, skim cut dirt easier and they're less prone to getting stuck. They are significantly more money than a skidloader. They do make track systems that can fit onto skidloader tires but I don't have any experience with them. I'd also look to getting mechanical controls and not electro-hydraulics. The mechanical controls are less sensitive and less problematic maintenance wise; at least that's been my experience with our Case unit. I hear good things about Takeuchi equipment being simple and dependable. Also if workers comp is a big concern, JCB has units made with a side door so your not climbing out over the bucket all the time which seems to trip up operators alot, especially if you have several different people operating it.

The Shop

SEE ARE125
10/4/2016 12:41pm
I own both Bobcat and Cat equipment. The Cat is the nicer machine, but parts for the Cat are more expensive than the Bobcat, which is something to consider when buying used, because chances are you'll have to replace a few things here and there. Kubota also makes some nice track loaders, but I don't have any experience with them. I'd recommend 80+ hp. Better to have the power and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Bobcat T300, T320, T750, T770, or T870 are some options. Oh, and spend the money for a cab and A/C, you'll thank me later. lol
JustMX
10/4/2016 3:03pm
I have a 1996 new Holland lx865 rubber tire skid steer.

Has over 10000 hours on it.

Old yzrider has a very good point about sticking with mechanical controls.

There are so many sensors and programing issues with new generation equipment, and any one of them will shut you down and drive you crazy trying to diagnose.

Have a friend that just got a new bobcat rubber track and it broke down 20 hours after warranty ran out. Took the dealer a week to figure out the problem.

There is nothing on my machine that we haven't been able to put up on blocks and fix ourselves.

Cab leans forward and everything is right there.

I have grouser tracks on rubber tires, and I have pushed rubber track machines out when they get buried.

I have a case 450c dozer also. They are kind of the same as far as mechanical. The older cases do not use steering clutches either. I do not have a ripper on mine, but one would be handy if you are working in dirt that tends to harden up.
Zaugg
10/4/2016 5:10pm
I might suggest leasing your equipment.

Most machines that prep tracks aren't designed to handle the repetitive forces put on the frame and other parts. Basically they didn't design a dozer or skid steer to build jumps. If you plan to use a tiller for instance, most tillers can't handle the torsional forces of tilling around a corner multiple times a day. You'll blow a diff in about 2 months if you're lucky unless you buy a larger piece of equipment. These are pretty much go in a straight line machines.

If you lease and it breaks, they come out and fix it or replace it. Somewhat oversimplified but several tracks use this model to keep maintenance costs down. Food for thought.
TSCHAM101
10/4/2016 5:28pm
Zaugg wrote:
I might suggest leasing your equipment. Most machines that prep tracks aren't designed to handle the repetitive forces put on the frame and other parts. Basically...

Most machines that prep tracks aren't designed to handle the repetitive forces put on the frame and other parts. Basically they didn't design a dozer or skid steer to build jumps. If you plan to use a tiller for instance, most tillers can't handle the torsional forces of tilling around a corner multiple times a day. You'll blow a diff in about 2 months if you're lucky unless you buy a larger piece of equipment. These are pretty much go in a straight line machines.

If you lease and it breaks, they come out and fix it or replace it. Somewhat oversimplified but several tracks use this model to keep maintenance costs down. Food for thought.
this...
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
10/5/2016 3:28am
I have a bobcat 863. I built our first track with it and it is the biggest tool in our track equipment arsenal. Last year I bought the tracks to go over the wheels, best investment I have made yet for it lol! You can buy attachments to cover all your needs. The tiller is not best suited for mx track work in my opinion, a tractor makes way more sense!

I found a good deal on a small dozer, works perfect for what we do here. It is different than the bobcat in many ways. I prefer it over the cat for certain jobs. Would not give up the cat for it though!

I have a medium sized 4x4 tractor for the grooming needs! You can't beat it for that task. My main grooming tool is a Perfecta field cultivator, but also have a pto roto tiller I hit it with occasionally. I can pack the track with a land roller or a 3pt attached land leveler!

My advice, get a good skid steer and a 4wd tractor. You'll thank me later lol!
10/5/2016 8:15am Edited Date/Time 10/5/2016 8:24am
aroark247 wrote:
Anyone on here with track prep experience- I help maintain the local track and we are looking at buying a track loader/skidsteer, probably used, but what...
Anyone on here with track prep experience- I help maintain the local track and we are looking at buying a track loader/skidsteer, probably used, but what would be best recommendation for brand and size
I'm a Track owner and the best thing for you guys is a John Deere 210LE 4X4 skip loader. A skidsteer is way to small unless you have a Supercross Track. A must is a Dozer so you can move dirt around and build things at least a John Deere 550 or a Cat D5 with 5 rippers in the back and at least 1 slope board for carving turns and lanes out. Good luck. If you need any help or need any questions answered contact me www.calcitymxpark.com or 760-977-9774 John
mxtech1
10/5/2016 10:26am
Zaugg wrote:
I might suggest leasing your equipment. Most machines that prep tracks aren't designed to handle the repetitive forces put on the frame and other parts. Basically...

Your perspective on leasing is inaccurate. The leaser is still responsible for costs of parts that break if they are not covered by the lease and/or service warranty. The generic OEM warranty on a new machine protects the owner from some of the more catastrophic events. A lease will usually come with a strict service schedule that must be done by authorized dealers.

The biggest advantage to a lease is that you usually have a good understanding of the residual value at the end of the lease if you trade in often.

99% of the time it's financially a better move to buy outright instead of leasing if you plan to keep the machine for many years. If you want to trade in every couple years on a new model, then leasing is a good choice.
aroark247
10/5/2016 11:19am
Zaugg wrote:

mxtech1 wrote:
Your perspective on leasing is inaccurate. The leaser is still responsible for costs of parts that break if they are not covered by the lease and/or...
Your perspective on leasing is inaccurate. The leaser is still responsible for costs of parts that break if they are not covered by the lease and/or service warranty. The generic OEM warranty on a new machine protects the owner from some of the more catastrophic events. A lease will usually come with a strict service schedule that must be done by authorized dealers.

The biggest advantage to a lease is that you usually have a good understanding of the residual value at the end of the lease if you trade in often.

99% of the time it's financially a better move to buy outright instead of leasing if you plan to keep the machine for many years. If you want to trade in every couple years on a new model, then leasing is a good choice.
Yeah we're looking to buy not lease. We already own two big John deere's with a couple of plows and rakes. We also own the john deere 210 le landscape loader, which is good for moving dirt and building bigger stuff for re-routing, but we need something for fine tuning smaller faces and corners. A couple of months ago a friend loaned us his new D6 dozer, I fell in love with it but it was way too intense and sketchy for a track with an automated sprinkler system running under it. It's a track that gets ridden on daily for members, and the constant traffic is putting a strain on the 210 loader. Does anyone know how tough the Gehl's are?
Zaugg
10/5/2016 1:18pm
mxtech1 wrote:
Your perspective on leasing is inaccurate. The leaser is still responsible for costs of parts that break if they are not covered by the lease and/or...

Yep...you're right...I'm wrong.

(I guess I meant to say rent not lease. That should make more sense.

@aroark247 You should listen to this guy. hahaha

Just do some research before you buy, lease, or rent. What I do know is this equipment doesn't like track prep. Shit breaks much sooner than it should...but I'm probably wrong about that as well. haha

Braap19
10/5/2016 1:38pm
I've built and maintained two local tracks with a bobcat T-190 skid steer with the combo bucket and a massy Ferguson compact 4x4 turbo with about 65 horses. Plus various implements. The compact is great because of the turning radius being smaller and the weight is less with the same power as the larger version.

Thats realistically all you need. Tractor will pull anything you need to disc, till, set up drainage mow and whatever else you can thing of between jumps. And the skid steer is great for jumps, both maintaining and building new sections.

Also its really nice to have tracks over tires because the tracks dont dig ruts in the track nearly as bad if its wet.

While its great to have a dozer, yes i have used several of different sizes, theyre just not practical for most applications and are very expensive to use.

Fuel and wear on the bobcat is about $100 an hour and tractor is about $70 depending on what you're doing. Take that into account also when you purchase.

Also take into account with new equipment, if you can to afford to fix or replace a hydraulic hose or worse every month with that $1000 a month payment. Plus if something else tears up can you still afford that plus that payment.
ACBraap
Fantasy
505th
10/5/2016 5:22pm
I used to build all my tracks with a Cat D-4. The winch on the back of the ones built for logging is a limiting factor when building steep faces. A brush blade can be used to rip the track .
steveyd
10/6/2016 10:18am Edited Date/Time 10/6/2016 10:22am
Don't forget the water truck bro.

Proper watering of the track is essential.

Post a reply to: Mx track maintenance question

The Latest