Musquin and Ferris?

DP#201
4/22/2014 10:26am Edited Date/Time 4/22/2014 4:08pm
Any one know if they are ready to run the outdoors? They have been injured both of them right? I haven't heard any news from them in a long time...
|
Socket946
4/22/2014 10:42am
Musquin is already riding. Ferris is out - He splatted himself down under training for out doors.
Socket946
4/22/2014 10:43am
there's talk of a fill in rider for Ferris...He'll be healed in time for SX next year....
jamma10
4/22/2014 11:04am
Dean Ferris had one goal, one aim, and one mission in the United States: to make his mark on the Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross series. He had his heart set on winning races and challenging for the championship. That dream is now in tatters, as Ferris will miss almost all of the series after injuring his wrist in Australia during the break in the Western Regional 250SX class of the Monster Energy AMA Supercross series. With five months off the bike, Ferris is focusing on his fitness and has moved to the Gold Coast to train with Ironman legend and now adventure racer, Guy Andrews. Transmoto‘s Ben Dillaway spoke with the 23-year-old who may be down, but certainly isn’t out.

So what happened, mate? Tell us about how you hurt the wrist.

I was only back (in Australia) for a couple of weeks to pick up my Visa. I had just got hold of a stock bike back here off KTM. I just had an unfortunate crash and must have landed wrong and busted up my wrist.

When you say busted up, what kind of damage did you do?

The most damage was the dislocation in the wrist. Immediately the surgeon told me it would be a five-month injury. I had a little fracture but that was no worries, it has already healed now six weeks on. But the dislocation, because I tore ligaments, that’s where the damage was done.

What kind of crash was it? A big one?

It was pretty high speed; I went over the bars. It all happened pretty quick. My first reaction must have been to put my wrist out to, you know, save myself and the result brought me unstuck. It happened at home in Kyogle.

When we last spoke, you said how the motocross was the thing you were looking forward to and focused on. How much of a blow has this been to you?

Yeah, I was pretty gutted when I found out I wasn’t going to make the start of the championship. I had sort of been saving myself and even rode maybe a little too cautious in supercross and all the crap that went down in Europe and stuff, I had just backed myself to go really good in the motocross; it was a big blow for me.

If people were worried about you getting injured, they thought it would have happened during supercross as you came in so late with not much preparation. For it to happen while training for the outdoors, that must have blindsided you.

I haven’t ever hurt myself in a training accident since my Pro career started. It just goes to show you have to be on the ball 100 percent of the time.

Will you make it back for any of the motocross series?

My plan right now is to do the last three nationals. My goal right now is to have my body in tip-top shape by then and hopefully my speed comes back in the couple of weeks of preparation I have on the bike. Hopefully my body can stand up to the challenge. I think my mind and my speed should be fine; that’s the whole idea of trying to be as fit as possible right now.

How did the team in the US take the news? Obviously they were looking forward to your motocross debut.

I’m back here so I’m not really sure what the vibes are. Obviously they’re going to be disappointed because they had bets on me in motocross as well. I’m sure they’ve seen everything in the sport. I’m sure they’re disappointed. It’s probably worse I did it here in Australia, where I was away from their supervision.

I remember reading something when you signed. I think it was Roger DeCoster who said, even though you were on a one-year deal, they don’t sign people unless they have long-term plans for them. Are you hopeful you’ll be back with Red Bull KTM next year, or is it too early to say?

It’s way too early to say; obviously I would love to be. They are the pinnacle of all motocross teams in the world, but they do what they’ve got to do. If I’m not up to scratch for them; fair play. But if I prove to them I’ve got it and do well, who knows? Maybe they’re keen to re-sign me. But who knows, it’s too early to say.

So you’ve got five months off the bike. What’s your plan now? We’ve seen you’re training with Ironman legend Guy Andrews.

I took the first month steady; I didn’t do too much but rest. Since then I’ve moved to the Gold Coast so I’m real close to my trainer, Guy Andrews. Now I have nothing to do but eat, sleep, and train everyday to make sure I’m as fit as I can be when I get back on the bike. I plan to go back (to the US) before Glen Helen. I’ll fly back and do the rest of my training there on my own. I’ll do what I can here with Guy then it’s probably time to show my face in the USA again.

How did you end up training with Guy?

I trained with him prior to my last GP season. It worked wonders; he showed me a lot of things. We team up good, he’s one of the hardest workers ever in Australia and I like to work hard too so we get along awesome. We’ve both got a goal of being as fit as possible. He still trains hard for his adventure races so it’s a good little team.

When the West Coast series started back in Houston over the weekend, where you watching?

I’ve accepted I’m hurt. I didn’t even actually watch it live, I just watched the replay. I think when I’m at Glen Helen and the gate drops there, I’m going to be absolutely gutted about that, more than supercross.

Looking for a silver lining in all this, it must at least be good to get some time back at home for a while?

That’s a positive I can pull out of it. I haven’t spent much time here the in last few years. Obviously living in Europe and racing GPs life has been so flat out. I never want to get injured but that’s a positive I can take out of it.

http://transmoto.com.au/exclusive-dean-ferris-interview-2/
davistld01
4/22/2014 12:01pm
I miss Marvin, and hope he's healing and we'll see him at the GH opener. Great racer, and seems like a great guy. Got to meet him & his very lovely wife very briefly a couple of years ago at the Dallas SX. I guess I had a stereotypical idea of French riders being a little arrogant and unfriendly...but they were both very cordial and approachable, with Marvin taking time to pose with my grandson. I'm a fan.

The Shop

Urseth727
4/22/2014 1:03pm
That is too bad!
It sounds like he did what i did to my wrist at the phx sx this year.
I only had a small fracture to my scaphoid
But the dislocation caused a complete rupture of my scapholunate ligament.
Its already been 4 months and my wrist still barely moves!!!
This type of injury sucks because its such a small joint, but vital for about everything in life, especially mx!

Hopefully he can mix it up the last 3 rounds.
Sandberm
4/22/2014 1:53pm
I'm surprised at how little has been reported about the Ferris injury. All Ive heard or read is little snippets here and there. What if he doesnt get resigned for next year here, does he have to move up to the 450 class in Europe because he will be over the age limit?

Thanks for the link to the interview jamma10.
PressPassP
4/22/2014 2:20pm
Sandberm wrote:
I'm surprised at how little has been reported about the Ferris injury. All Ive heard or read is little snippets here and there. What if he...
I'm surprised at how little has been reported about the Ferris injury. All Ive heard or read is little snippets here and there. What if he doesnt get resigned for next year here, does he have to move up to the 450 class in Europe because he will be over the age limit?

Yes he has to move up,that SX is a tough deal injurywise and claims so many that cross the pond
Titan1
4/22/2014 2:24pm
Sandberm wrote:
I'm surprised at how little has been reported about the Ferris injury. All Ive heard or read is little snippets here and there. What if he...

PressPassP wrote:
Yes he has to move up,that SX is a tough deal injurywise and claims so many that cross the pond
Didn't he get hurt riding motocross in Australia? (That's how I understood it anyway).
haydos25
Fantasy
3302nd
4/22/2014 2:45pm
Titan1 wrote:
Didn't he get hurt riding motocross in Australia? (That's how I understood it anyway).
Yep, hurt down here riding outdoors.
Bummer for Dean. It seems like so many stars need to align perfectly in order to make it in the US as an international rider. You basically get one chance to prove yourself and if you miss it you're done, whether that be because of injury or other reasons. Riders like Rattray, Searle, Reardon, Moss, all come to mind whe i think of guys who have the ability but for one reason or another (mainly injury) they miss the boat. Hopefully Dean doesnt turn into another statistic and can score a second chance next year.
Really makes what Chad Reed has done even more impressive when you look at the claibre of rider who hasnt made it.
PressPassP
4/22/2014 4:08pm Edited Date/Time 4/22/2014 4:12pm
Titan1 wrote:
Yes but I was talking about the initial injury that hampered him,you can't expect the team to sign him and him not ride SX though huh..

Post a reply to: Musquin and Ferris?

The Latest