Moving from Australia to US, best place to live for riding?

turtle_
Edited Date/Time 12/1/2015 12:58pm
Hi,

I'm thinking about moving to the US for 12 months or so. Where is the best place for motocross? Can you recommend somewhere?

I want to live somewhere that the weather is good for riding all year round (no snow), and where there are a few tracks within 30 minutes drive. I probably need to be close to a decent sized city for work.

I dont do much trail riding, prefer tracks. I currently live in Sydney. Its fairly warm all year around, but can get pretty cold in winter.

I thinking California, Texas, or somewhere in Florida, but even then, not sure exactly where in those areas. Are people generally pretty friendly in these areas?

What is San Francisco/Silicon Valley area like for motocross?

Also, whats the deal with Arenacross, can anyone enter? I reckon that would be pretty sweet to try out. Are there different arenacross series'?

Cheers.
|
ML512
Fantasy
45th
11/28/2015 7:44pm
turtle_ wrote:
Hi, I'm thinking about moving to the US for 12 months or so. Where is the best place for motocross? Can you recommend somewhere? I want...
Hi,

I'm thinking about moving to the US for 12 months or so. Where is the best place for motocross? Can you recommend somewhere?

I want to live somewhere that the weather is good for riding all year round (no snow), and where there are a few tracks within 30 minutes drive. I probably need to be close to a decent sized city for work.

I dont do much trail riding, prefer tracks. I currently live in Sydney. Its fairly warm all year around, but can get pretty cold in winter.

I thinking California, Texas, or somewhere in Florida, but even then, not sure exactly where in those areas. Are people generally pretty friendly in these areas?

Also, whats the deal with Arenacross, can anyone enter? I reckon that would be pretty sweet to try out. Are there different arenacross series'?

Cheers.
As a warning, San Francisco/Silicon Valley is scary pricey... SCARY...

Temecula, Ca area would put you within around 10 or 11 tracks within a 2 hour drive. Four within 30 mins.
turtle_
11/28/2015 7:48pm
ML512 wrote:
As a warning, San Francisco/Silicon Valley is scary pricey... SCARY... Temecula, Ca area would put you within around 10 or 11 tracks within a 2 hour...

Temecula, Ca area would put you within around 10 or 11 tracks within a 2 hour drive. Four within 30 mins.
I'll have a look into Temecula, Ca!

"As a warning, San Francisco/Silicon Valley is scary pricey... SCARY..."
Ahh. I was thinking its probably the easiest place for me to get work. I work in IT, but anywhere near a big city should be fine.
11/28/2015 7:49pm
Middle to southern Georgia is great riding year round and property values aren't too crazy if you stay away from Macon.

The Shop

ML512
Fantasy
45th
11/28/2015 7:54pm
turtle_ wrote:
I'll have a look into Temecula, Ca! "As a warning, San Francisco/Silicon Valley is scary pricey... SCARY..." Ahh. I was thinking its probably the easiest place...
I'll have a look into Temecula, Ca!

"As a warning, San Francisco/Silicon Valley is scary pricey... SCARY..."
Ahh. I was thinking its probably the easiest place for me to get work. I work in IT, but anywhere near a big city should be fine.
Temecula area is where I'm around so I was just throwing that out there. For IT jobs, maybe look towards Irvine or San Diego?

If you're bored, google "median home prices for Silicon Valley"... Sick
GIwasB4
11/28/2015 7:54pm
Morgantown WV. You can pick where you want to ride in any climate of the season.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
11/28/2015 7:55pm
Phoenix, Arizona will give you year round riding on 4-5 tracks.
GIwasB4
11/28/2015 7:56pm
Middle to southern Georgia is great riding year round and property values aren't too crazy if you stay away from Macon.
Macon's not so bad
Tonynz
11/28/2015 7:56pm
Remember you can only stay for 90 days at a time, unless you get work Visa etc.
TeamGreen
11/28/2015 7:57pm
Plenty of IT work in Orange County and even in San Diego...

Go map-search the locations of Pala, Glen Helen & all the other tracks you read about on here like Cahuila... Then find a locale somewhere in the midst of all of that.

I live in south Orange County and enjoy the surf and all the So-Cal moto tracks.
11/28/2015 8:14pm
GIwasB4 wrote:
Macon's not so bad
Close to Hillbilly and Echeconnee
scott_nz
Fantasy
655th
11/28/2015 8:41pm
turtle_ wrote:
Hi, I'm thinking about moving to the US for 12 months or so. Where is the best place for motocross? Can you recommend somewhere? I want...
Hi,

Cheers.
ML512 wrote:
As a warning, San Francisco/Silicon Valley is scary pricey... SCARY... Temecula, Ca area would put you within around 10 or 11 tracks within a 2 hour...

Look at Sydney house prices. Average is near 1,000,000 au rollers now
Brent
11/28/2015 9:01pm
Temecula or Murrieta, although San Diego is still close and much nicer.
11/28/2015 9:40pm Edited Date/Time 11/28/2015 9:44pm
Tampa, FL. Ride year round no problem. Around 10 different tracks within driving range for a day of riding. Great and growing metropolitan city, low cost of living with several suburbs surrounding with lots of available land with lower property costs all within an hours drive of thriving downtown and no matter what you're always within 30 minutes of a beautiful beach and boundless water activities and fishing. Solution found. I'm here and this can't even begin to describe the upsides. And you don't have to deal with all the bleeding heart liberals and insane cost to move to CA, plus their traffic and pollution not to mention the EXTREME and devastating water crisis they have right now
NeedMoto
11/28/2015 9:52pm
turtle_ wrote:
Hi,

Cheers.
ML512 wrote:

Yep... What ML512 said about Silicon Valley^^^ I live here, and want out!!! Traffic congestion is getting out of control, most noticeably, the last 12-18 months.

OK... that's my rant, continue onAngry
mxgoon
11/29/2015 1:28am
turtle_ wrote:
Hi,

Cheers.
Do you have a visa?

It's pretty hard for foreigners to get a working visa in the US.

Jrewing
11/29/2015 1:47am Edited Date/Time 11/29/2015 1:51am
turtle_ wrote:
Hi,

Cheers.
ML512 wrote:

NeedMoto wrote:
Yep... What ML512 said about Silicon Valley^^^ I live here, and want out!!! Traffic congestion is getting out of control, most noticeably, the last 12-18 months...
Yep... What ML512 said about Silicon Valley^^^ I live here, and want out!!! Traffic congestion is getting out of control, most noticeably, the last 12-18 months.

OK... that's my rant, continue onAngry
Curious what Silicon Valley median is? I come from Sydney and it's not cheap here by any stretch. I live in a great pocket of it but I want out. Sucks if you ride mx Sydney does.
Pretty much anywhere ok is in the million bracket

I'd like to head over to Georgia or nth Carolina for a ride area.
Camp332
11/29/2015 7:22am
Come to New Jersey Bro! We can go lift
ML512
Fantasy
45th
11/29/2015 9:45am
Jrewing wrote:
Curious what Silicon Valley median is? I come from Sydney and it's not cheap here by any stretch. I live in a great pocket of it...
Curious what Silicon Valley median is? I come from Sydney and it's not cheap here by any stretch. I live in a great pocket of it but I want out. Sucks if you ride mx Sydney does.
Pretty much anywhere ok is in the million bracket

I'd like to head over to Georgia or nth Carolina for a ride area.
In August, it was around $980,000 and it's gone up from there... so just a bit over a million now, I think.

So it's about $1,400,000 median home price in the Australian dollar.
gharmon
11/29/2015 10:59am
turtle_ wrote:
Hi,

Cheers.
Either of your three you mention are great. The question you ask about people being friendly, I think all the areas you mention is fine. Although, I have about 2 days experience with people out west (CA). I'm partial to the southeast and Southern Hospitality. Just stay out of the northeast. My experience it people from there are "lacking" in the friendliness area.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
11/29/2015 2:42pm
gharmon wrote:
Either of your three you mention are great. The question you ask about people being friendly, I think all the areas you mention is fine. Although...
Either of your three you mention are great. The question you ask about people being friendly, I think all the areas you mention is fine. Although, I have about 2 days experience with people out west (CA). I'm partial to the southeast and Southern Hospitality. Just stay out of the northeast. My experience it people from there are "lacking" in the friendliness area.
" Just stay out of the northeast. My experience it people from there are "lacking" in the friendliness area."

In the big cities, maybe. In small towns, not so much. That is a gross, very gross, generalization. People in the hills of PA, upstate NY, or rural Maine bear almost no similarities with the rude city folk of NYC or other cities.

Southern Hospitality was kind of lacking when I lived in GA in the 80's and still had my PA plates on my car. Unless the shots coming my way and shouts of go home yankee were well intentioned greetings and I mistook them... LOL.
gharmon
11/29/2015 3:06pm
I understand what you are saying about the small towns. It was a gross generalization as I was mainly in the big cities but by far D. C. was the worst. I personally have never even talked in terms of the " go home yankee" nor the people I'm around. I work in an army town (columbus, ga Fort Benning) so I come across a lot of yankees. Most seem like good folk and they usually always agree with me when we talk about the folks up north.

But I was wrong to label everyone so broadly. Sorry if I offended you. He will most likely be hanging around moto guys and they all pretty cool guys regardless of geography.
LappedU
11/29/2015 4:11pm
Corona, Ca the meca of motocross!
Skerby
11/29/2015 4:18pm
Sac town. Sacramento CA. Really good moto.
11/29/2015 4:35pm Edited Date/Time 11/29/2015 4:35pm
Southeast would be my pick. Florida - Georgia - Alabama all have relatively nice weather year round and a ton of tracks. Plus it rains!
Lurk Ing
11/29/2015 4:49pm
Orange County is very cool. Stayed at a friends in Newport Beach off Balboa Blvd. Is a lot like the Goldy with the Beaches (but not much surf to speak of) and Bay on your doorstep and the temperature and very cruizie. The Mexican restaurants are everywhere and awesome, and the Margaretta's are on another level to what we get here. Just remember to tip
ML512
Fantasy
45th
11/29/2015 6:26pm
Lurk Ing wrote:
Orange County is very cool. Stayed at a friends in Newport Beach off Balboa Blvd. Is a lot like the Goldy with the Beaches (but not...
Orange County is very cool. Stayed at a friends in Newport Beach off Balboa Blvd. Is a lot like the Goldy with the Beaches (but not much surf to speak of) and Bay on your doorstep and the temperature and very cruizie. The Mexican restaurants are everywhere and awesome, and the Margaretta's are on another level to what we get here. Just remember to tip
I wish I could live off of Balboa blvd... Laughing But I don't think I'll be living in a 1.5 million dollar home anytime soon.
11/29/2015 6:32pm Edited Date/Time 11/29/2015 6:35pm
San Francisco Bay Area has a lot going for it, but its not cheap (Sydney isnt either). You really have to want to live and work here to enjoy it. Dont move here just to work and ride, there are cheaper places to do that. It has a lot more to offer than just riding and working (skiing, surfing, saliing, kiting, mtn biking, blah blah blah). If you value all that it has to offer, work in an industry that can pay you enough to live here..... then its a great place. Its a pretty unique place in the world.

Within the bay area there are a 1/2 dozen tracks and three offroad riding areas. All within 1/2 to 1hr drive depending on where in the bay area you chose to live. I'm the opposite of you, ride almost exclusively off road. If you expand that driving window to 2 hrs, lots of riding (offroad) in/near the bay area. I'm not familiar with the track scene, but my impression is SoCal has more of that once you reach south Orange County or inland. I spend a lot of time in LA/South Bay and riding would be a long haul. Others more familiar with that can help you.

Expect to pay $3500 to $4000 US a month in the city (San Francisco) to rent a 1br in a nice neighborhood with nightlife within walking distance. You can obviously pay less out of the city or in less desirable areas. Should give you an idea of the rent scale at least. If you are single and looking for nightlife, you really want to be in the city IMO.

Traffic and commuting can be a nightmare. Dont accept a job in San Jose and expect to live in San Francisco. Live and work near your home. So chose wisely who you commit to work for with an H1B as you are tied to them.

Good luck!
moto455va
11/29/2015 6:40pm
Any engineers on this board that can attest to decent job prospects in those areas?
msmola2002
11/29/2015 6:50pm
I moved here from Newcastle 6 years ago. E3 visa is a great thing. Central NY is great. I'm 20 mins from unadilla, 45 from Broome Tioga. 3.25h to southwick and for the road bikes an hour from NY safety track.

People here are great. NY city, yeah the attitudes change.

So upstate NY is great. For 6 months of the year. It is warmer than last year and right on freezing right now. I got a mate in the bay area in Cali, works for a software company., weather is awesome out there. Minimum in his neighbourhood-minimum is almost 700k for little more than a toolshed. I bought a house on 1/4 ac with a 20*50ft barn in a small city for 72k. but for 6 months unless you want to go snowboarding (i have like half a dozen options within an hour and a half) or snowmobiling, options are limited. There are winter woods races but can tell you first hand that riding in snow and ice when it is -10-15c is only fun, if you like pain.

Post a reply to: Moving from Australia to US, best place to live for riding?

The Latest