Motocross in Zimbabwe

BenGiese
Edited Date/Time 10/13/2017 6:30am
In the grand scheme of sport, motocross is a tiny blip on the radar. Even now, with the pyrotechnics and the live TV coverage, it pales in comparison to the Goliathan following and consequent media presence of the NFL or NASCAR.

But sometimes it’s the basic and fundamental complexion of motocross and those around it that makes it such a fascinating place to be involved. There’s a real community feeling around the pits, and strangers are treated like friends just because there’s a dirtbike in the back of their truck. And perhaps the coolest aspect of the motocross community’s kind nature: It is invariably the same, anywhere in the world.

For Volume 001 of META back in 2014 we travelled all the way to Zimbabwe, Africa to experience the culture, attend a local race and meet an inspirational little girl driven to follow her dreams of becoming a professional racer against all odds.

You can now read the full story online only at: https://www.readmeta.com/blog/2017/10/9/out-of-africa

|
mx_563
10/11/2017 2:35pm
Great story. Only part that makes me cringe a little is that it's a damn dangerous sport. It's hard enough to deal with injuries in 1st world counties.

BTW: weren't you guys working on a movie/film that was supposed to come out like a year or two ago. Seems like it just disappeared. Or did I miss it?

BenGiese
10/11/2017 2:41pm
mx_563 wrote:
Great story. Only part that makes me cringe a little is that it's a damn dangerous sport. It's hard enough to deal with injuries in 1st...
Great story. Only part that makes me cringe a little is that it's a damn dangerous sport. It's hard enough to deal with injuries in 1st world counties.

BTW: weren't you guys working on a movie/film that was supposed to come out like a year or two ago. Seems like it just disappeared. Or did I miss it?

Thanks for the compliments and I'm glad you enjoy the story.

I'm not quite sure which film you are talking about, but you can see some of the videos we've put out over the past few years on our vimeo channel HERE. Hope that helps you find what yo were looking for.

Thanks for the support!
10/11/2017 3:05pm
Telling me ill go to Africa and find a stock car track and stock car racing.
10/11/2017 6:19pm
Bradley Lionnet from neighboring country of Zambia was a fun kid to root for in Supercross last year, but always seemed to have the worst luck just when it looked like he might actually qualify for the main in 250 West.... Anyone know if he's planning on racing SX again this year??

The Shop

NorCal 50+
10/11/2017 7:56pm
MX has been in Africa forever. I raced in east Africa in the early 80s. There was a pretty thriving scene. It had pretty much everything you would have in a rural mx series in America. You wanna see some tough as nails motocrossers- try white African rancher/farmers with British heritage. I used to sit in the pits outside Nairobi and you could see lions out on the grassland walking around. Africa is awesome. Great piece!
10/12/2017 12:33am
Great story guys, well done.

Must have been amazing to be there. The JS7 comment is very true.

Also "I used to sit in the pits outside Nairobi and you could see lions out on the grassland walking around. Africa is awesome".

wow....just wow. I could not even imagine.... was speaking to a guy who came round to value my house the other day and was chatting to him, he is into off road and has ridden all over the world!, but he said that if he could retire to a place it would be Cape town, he said its awesome there....i have never been and if honest not really even thought about it until now, might have to have a Holiday over there and see!.
ayearinmx
10/12/2017 1:27am
Thanks for compliments... Was an amazing time there and Tanya and her family were great hosts. It's also cool seeing what she has gone on to accomplish since my tripSmile
BenGiese
10/12/2017 3:21am
NorCal 50+ wrote:
MX has been in Africa forever. I raced in east Africa in the early 80s. There was a pretty thriving scene. It had pretty much everything...
MX has been in Africa forever. I raced in east Africa in the early 80s. There was a pretty thriving scene. It had pretty much everything you would have in a rural mx series in America. You wanna see some tough as nails motocrossers- try white African rancher/farmers with British heritage. I used to sit in the pits outside Nairobi and you could see lions out on the grassland walking around. Africa is awesome. Great piece!
Wow, cool story about the lions. Thats wild! Literally.

Thanks for the compliments and support.
BenGiese
10/12/2017 3:23am
#76 wrote:
Great story guys, well done. Must have been amazing to be there. The JS7 comment is very true. Also "I used to sit in the pits...

Also "I used to sit in the pits outside Nairobi and you could see lions out on the grassland walking around. Africa is awesome".

wow....just wow. I could not even imagine.... was speaking to a guy who came round to value my house the other day and was chatting to him, he is into off road and has ridden all over the world!, but he said that if he could retire to a place it would be Cape town, he said its awesome there....i have never been and if honest not really even thought about it until now, might have to have a Holiday over there and see!.
Thank you, I love that quote as well.

Small world! Thanks for reading.
BenGiese
10/12/2017 3:25am
ayearinmx wrote:
Thanks for compliments... Was an amazing time there and Tanya and her family were great hosts. It's also cool seeing what she has gone on to...
Thanks for compliments... Was an amazing time there and Tanya and her family were great hosts. It's also cool seeing what she has gone on to accomplish since my tripSmile
Bulmer! Hope you are doing well my friend.

Still one of my favorite stories to this day.
You might have to do a follow up one of these days...

Cheers Smile
mx_563
10/12/2017 7:28am
mx_563 wrote:
Great story. Only part that makes me cringe a little is that it's a damn dangerous sport. It's hard enough to deal with injuries in 1st...

BenGiese wrote:
Thanks for the compliments and I'm glad you enjoy the story. I'm not quite sure which film you are talking about, but you can see some...
Thanks for the compliments and I'm glad you enjoy the story.

I'm not quite sure which film you are talking about, but you can see some of the videos we've put out over the past few years on our vimeo channel HERE. Hope that helps you find what yo were looking for.

Thanks for the support!
Mind Wide Open. That was the one. I assumed the teaser was free and the film itself was for purchase. But I guess I never found it on your site (other than the teaser). So I was like...teaser was good, when's the real deal coming out?

selous scout
Ft Victoria Rhodesia/ Jarrettsville Md/, MD US
Fantasy
3951st
10/12/2017 10:33am
Ah , motocross and dirt bikes in general in Rhodesia now Zimbabwe in the 70s! Everybody had a bike of some sort and the sport was very active probably more so than now. Although motocross/ scrambles were popular Speedway bikes were King being raced at numerous stadiums in Bulawayo and Salisbury. Riding and racing around Fort Victoria and the Beza Range was also dangerous not only the wild game but the Terrorist groups that took pleasure on trying to pick you off with their A Ks and other related weapons remember we were still at War in the late 70s. Motocross and dirt bike ridding is a Worldwide attraction that is brings all of us together no matter where we live! We are a fortunate group we are blessed hey.
ayearinmx
10/13/2017 2:18am
BenGiese wrote:
Bulmer! Hope you are doing well my friend. Still one of my favorite stories to this day. You might have to do a follow up one...
Bulmer! Hope you are doing well my friend.

Still one of my favorite stories to this day.
You might have to do a follow up one of these days...

Cheers Smile
yea, i'm good... and i'd definitely be down to go to Zimbabwe again. I met up with Tanya this year in Lommel and considering what she's done since our article, I definitely think it would be worth a revisit!
hassbeen
Fantasy
3823rd
10/13/2017 6:30am
#76 wrote:
Great story guys, well done. Must have been amazing to be there. The JS7 comment is very true. Also "I used to sit in the pits...

MX in South Africa is alive & well. Until recently we had a track next to the Crocodile River and at night the Hippo's came to visit. Some of our tracks are located in the bush, awesome scenery.
hassbeen
Fantasy
3823rd
10/13/2017 6:36am
Motocross of Africa Des Nations 2017 held in Gaborone Botswana

dustmx
Fantasy
1861st
10/13/2017 9:24am
I was born and raced in Zimbabwe, Moved to Europe and had some good races here and there, now in Florida.

Zimbabwe has had some great races, in the 90’s Travis Pastrana arrived for the summer series they have had Grant Langston a good few English pro riders other Americans too..
Often in the off season to get them out there to ride and at the same time to experience Africa, great little series filled with fun mx and Sx races with a little break in between to go and explore.

Vurb moto covered one the sx events some time ago
jeffro503
10/13/2017 9:41am
This whole thread is awesome! And Norcal's description of lions in the stands Blink .....Haha , that is freakin' nuts.

Post a reply to: Motocross in Zimbabwe

The Latest