Motocross bike essentials

producer-p
Edited Date/Time 9/16/2013 6:59pm
Hi, i jave just bought myself a KTM 125 SX 2004.. i have a stand for it to go on so thats great can some one give me a list of things i must always have handy for my bike in terms of maintenance

I can think of a couple

* chain lubricant
* 2 stroke oil for fuel mix
* air filter cleaner ( not sure if thats all i need to clean air filter )

IF SOMEONE CAN DO ME A LIST OF THINGS I MUST HAVE TO MAINTAIN MY BIKE I WOULD BE VERY THANK FULL
HOWEVER IM NOT LOOKING FOR EVERY POSSIBLE THING OUT THERE JUST THE THINGS I ( MUST) HAVE

THANKS IN ADVANCE SAM
|
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2803rd
9/14/2013 5:58am
Make sure you keep a couple of spare power bands handy
producer-p
9/14/2013 6:35am
Derpin' DJ wrote:
its a bit more complicated than that though isnt it? i cant just buy a power band isnt it a valve that opens to let more air and fuel in at certain revs? located inside the cylinder? how much are they?
9/14/2013 6:48am Edited Date/Time 9/14/2013 6:52am
You'll need to oil the air filter after cleaning. Though not mentioned in the link below; where the filter sits in the air box, it's common practice to apply a "thin" line of grease where the filter meets (makes contact) with the air box on the rim i.e to stop smallest dirt particles seeping through the gap. Though everyone has their own method. If you're an MX newbie then this may further help - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkAZ1LuQkdk .

Get yourself a torque wrench for chain adjustment or if you need to remove the wheels for some reason etc. Also a tyre pressure gauge is very handy. I would also recommend you always have spare clutch and front brake levers - you're bound to fall off and bust one now and again, and it can be frustrating to find yourself heading home due to such a silly mechanical. Of course, a service manual for your exact model bike is an essential in the long run, especially for eventually doing something like the top end.
Trav138
9/14/2013 7:34am
Service manual
Extra air filters
Chain and cable lube
Spare levers
Lots of gas and just ride

The Shop

Torco1
9/14/2013 7:52am
I would go through and check every nut and bolt on the bike to make sure they are tightened correctly. I would also grease the wheel axels, steering stem and the linkage. Check all of your spokes to make sure they are tight and that none of them are broke. I've never owned a KTM 2-stroke so I don't know how the power valves are, but if you can, I would clean them and make sure they aren't gummed up. It would probably be a good idea to through in a new spark plug and keep a few spares handy.
Crush
9/14/2013 7:58am
Derpin' DJ wrote:
producer-p wrote:
its a bit more complicated than that though isnt it? i cant just buy a power band isnt it a valve that opens to let more...
its a bit more complicated than that though isnt it? i cant just buy a power band isnt it a valve that opens to let more air and fuel in at certain revs? located inside the cylinder? how much are they?
shit
BAMX
9/14/2013 8:04am
Torco1 wrote:
I would go through and check every nut and bolt on the bike to make sure they are tightened correctly. I would also grease the wheel...
I would go through and check every nut and bolt on the bike to make sure they are tightened correctly. I would also grease the wheel axels, steering stem and the linkage. Check all of your spokes to make sure they are tight and that none of them are broke. I've never owned a KTM 2-stroke so I don't know how the power valves are, but if you can, I would clean them and make sure they aren't gummed up. It would probably be a good idea to through in a new spark plug and keep a few spares handy.
x2 on the greasing and inspection. You also need filter oil to put back on once you clean the filter. You should get some red and blue thread locker. Then of course, you will need all of the basic hand tools. The last page of this gives you a good idea of the basics. I am not familiar with how good the KTM manuals are that come with the bike but they should have a manual that tells you how to inspect and repair every part of your bike. Buy it now.
TeamFoxy
9/14/2013 8:07am
producer-p wrote:
Hi, i jave just bought myself a KTM 125 SX 2004.. i have a stand for it to go on so thats great can some one...
Hi, i jave just bought myself a KTM 125 SX 2004.. i have a stand for it to go on so thats great can some one give me a list of things i must always have handy for my bike in terms of maintenance

I can think of a couple

* chain lubricant
* 2 stroke oil for fuel mix
* air filter cleaner ( not sure if thats all i need to clean air filter )

IF SOMEONE CAN DO ME A LIST OF THINGS I MUST HAVE TO MAINTAIN MY BIKE I WOULD BE VERY THANK FULL
HOWEVER IM NOT LOOKING FOR EVERY POSSIBLE THING OUT THERE JUST THE THINGS I ( MUST) HAVE

THANKS IN ADVANCE SAM
Yup defiantly want to add clutch/brake levers...no fun when you snap one and dont have an extra Sad
Vanilla
9/14/2013 8:30am
BAMX wrote:
x2 on the greasing and inspection. You also need filter oil to put back on once you clean the filter. You should get some red and...
x2 on the greasing and inspection. You also need filter oil to put back on once you clean the filter. You should get some red and blue thread locker. Then of course, you will need all of the basic hand tools. The last page of this gives you a good idea of the basics. I am not familiar with how good the KTM manuals are that come with the bike but they should have a manual that tells you how to inspect and repair every part of your bike. Buy it now.
I've got a 125 sxs from 06 and believe me, you definitely need thread locker.
slipdog
9/14/2013 8:54am
Never hit the track without one!

TeamGreen
9/14/2013 9:16am Edited Date/Time 9/14/2013 9:17am
Torco1 wrote:
I would go through and check every nut and bolt on the bike to make sure they are tightened correctly. I would also grease the wheel...
Todco and Trav138 pasted your answers.

When we buy a used bike...we tear it down and go thru EVERYTHING. This might sound like a little too much to you; but, you really do need to take the steering stem ass'y and shock-bearings/swing-arm pivots apart & make-sure they're in good shape: this bike is 10 years old. Cool thing? no linkage to worry about!

There's NOTHING real difficult about ANY of this & you'll simply "get to know your bike" a little better.

The very same approach could be taken with your clutch & power-valve/cylinder...& your brakes, too!

The nice thing about this discussion? We just discussed ALL the critical hardware on your bike...which is an awesome little "smoker" that's REALLY "Cheap" to own...IF...you take care of it!

I'd do my homework on really good chains & sprockets...like a Renthal Twin-Ring or some kind of Light yet STEEL rear sprocket. Chain? A good DID, Regina or Renthal. Take care of them and they'll LAST FOREVER on a 125.

Now, here's one that some of the Cool-Guy-Racers will TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH: if you run Bark-Busters...? Your Bars, grips, levers...will LAST 'til they WEAR OUT! I know, on one of my Baja Bikes I actually wear Renthal Kevlars out.

Good luck, replace ANY bearings or parts that seem a bit worn & that bike will LAST FOREVER.

Oh, and, welcome to Vital where we are all waaaay too cool to give "Nooobs" the time of day...oh...and...sorry...but I have to say this or else you wouldn't be a "Regular-Noob"...

"Fuck Off Noob!" (Spend a little time in here and you'll get it)
DCL36
9/14/2013 9:16am
Damn Slipdog im jealous.... I bet you holeshot every moto Alessi style with that ..
producer-p
9/15/2013 1:41pm
Torco1 wrote:
TeamGreen wrote:
Todco and Trav138 pasted your answers. When we buy a used bike...we tear it down and go thru EVERYTHING. This might sound like a little too...
Todco and Trav138 pasted your answers.

When we buy a used bike...we tear it down and go thru EVERYTHING. This might sound like a little too much to you; but, you really do need to take the steering stem ass'y and shock-bearings/swing-arm pivots apart & make-sure they're in good shape: this bike is 10 years old. Cool thing? no linkage to worry about!

There's NOTHING real difficult about ANY of this & you'll simply "get to know your bike" a little better.

The very same approach could be taken with your clutch & power-valve/cylinder...& your brakes, too!

The nice thing about this discussion? We just discussed ALL the critical hardware on your bike...which is an awesome little "smoker" that's REALLY "Cheap" to own...IF...you take care of it!

I'd do my homework on really good chains & sprockets...like a Renthal Twin-Ring or some kind of Light yet STEEL rear sprocket. Chain? A good DID, Regina or Renthal. Take care of them and they'll LAST FOREVER on a 125.

Now, here's one that some of the Cool-Guy-Racers will TOTALLY DISAGREE WITH: if you run Bark-Busters...? Your Bars, grips, levers...will LAST 'til they WEAR OUT! I know, on one of my Baja Bikes I actually wear Renthal Kevlars out.

Good luck, replace ANY bearings or parts that seem a bit worn & that bike will LAST FOREVER.

Oh, and, welcome to Vital where we are all waaaay too cool to give "Nooobs" the time of day...oh...and...sorry...but I have to say this or else you wouldn't be a "Regular-Noob"...

"Fuck Off Noob!" (Spend a little time in here and you'll get it)
cheers bro.. thanks.. i know nothing worse than being a noob.. yet, you gave the best advice and involved a bit of humour too.
thanks again. sam ( from UK )
wreckitrandy
9/15/2013 2:03pm
slipdog wrote:
Never hit the track without one! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2013/09/14/31750/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

Hey Dog! What was your national number? The guy at the bike shop said you have to be a current or former national number pro to get those power bands. I thought he might be shinning me. $29.99 seems kinda cheap too. Fake?
jtiger12
9/15/2013 2:04pm
I have about 6 air filters for my crf. You should run a fresh oiled air filter every1-2 rides. I do air filters once a month with 6 in the mix. Do all at once and always have a freshie
9/15/2013 2:46pm
Tyres. Best performance mod out there. New quality tyres and especially on the front. Don't wait till they're a slick and you'll spend less time hitting the ground. I change out my fronts as soon as they loose the sharp edge and sell them to others who are less particular to subsidize my new fronts. If you can afford a select of terrain type tyres, the correct tyres for the terrain your riding work best if you know what your going to be riding on but I've always liked an intermediate/soft terrain front and intermediate for the rear for general use and being able to ride any condition. The soft terrain front will work best in the sand/mud and still pretty good on hard terrain but an intermediate/hard terrain front tyre will work on that but not in the soft at all and just push out with you going down lowside. if your lucky. And keep an eye on your tyre pressures. Heavy duty tubes for less punctures and full day of riding, 10PSI for full on clean sand, 12-13 PSI if the dirt is good, 15-16 if there are large rocks and tree roots to save pinching the tube on impacts.
Do some thread searches here for the best tyres out there at the current moment. Read through those and you'll get to use everyone else' trial and error and pick up some sound knowledge too.
fencepost
9/15/2013 3:04pm
slipdog wrote:
Never hit the track without one! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2013/09/14/31750/s1200_image.jpg[/img]

Just picked myself up some ultra thin " corral blue" PB's. I'm stoked
9/15/2013 3:21pm
I like how modern carbon fibre technology has allowed the manufacturers to be able to fit wider PB's in the smaller bikes these days.
motokiwi
Fantasy
319th
9/15/2013 4:02pm Edited Date/Time 9/15/2013 4:02pm
Spare Tubes.
Spare Air Filters.
Make sure the wheel bearings are not loose by squatting next to the bike, hold one hand on the guard and the other on top of the tire, then push and pull the tyre sideways. If you can feel a small movement chances are your wheel bearings are shot.

Also see if you can pick up a linkage for the rear shock. I hear they make those KTM's handle much better. Just ask around, lots of newer KTM owners have them.
Outsider
9/15/2013 4:06pm
You'll need to oil the air filter after cleaning. Though not mentioned in the link below; where the filter sits in the air box, it's common...
You'll need to oil the air filter after cleaning. Though not mentioned in the link below; where the filter sits in the air box, it's common practice to apply a "thin" line of grease where the filter meets (makes contact) with the air box on the rim i.e to stop smallest dirt particles seeping through the gap. Though everyone has their own method. If you're an MX newbie then this may further help - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkAZ1LuQkdk .

Get yourself a torque wrench for chain adjustment or if you need to remove the wheels for some reason etc. Also a tyre pressure gauge is very handy. I would also recommend you always have spare clutch and front brake levers - you're bound to fall off and bust one now and again, and it can be frustrating to find yourself heading home due to such a silly mechanical. Of course, a service manual for your exact model bike is an essential in the long run, especially for eventually doing something like the top end.
A torque wrench for chain adjustment?
slipdog
9/15/2013 5:07pm
slipdog wrote:

Hey Dog! What was your national number? The guy at the bike shop said you have to be a current or former national number pro to...
Hey Dog! What was your national number? The guy at the bike shop said you have to be a current or former national number pro to get those power bands. I thought he might be shinning me. $29.99 seems kinda cheap too. Fake?
Well, like Underground posted above, CF technology has made the days of super expensive unobtainable old school rubber based powerbands a thing of the past. I purchased mine in a 4 pack from a Chinese importer for only $5.28

I didnt get any of the trick "corral blue" bands like Fencepost, but I figure if I wrap it up super tight it will be pretty much the same thing.
Socket946
9/15/2013 5:16pm
Center stand
Transmission oil
Chain lube
Air filter cleaner
Air filter oil
4-5 air filters
2-3 air filter cages
extra set of tires
extra top end
extra set of levers
ga_pike
9/15/2013 6:50pm
Make sure to put lots of skulls and Monster stickers on it! The more stickers, the faster it will go!
Roscoe33
9/15/2013 8:42pm Edited Date/Time 9/15/2013 8:43pm
Socket946 wrote:
Center stand Transmission oil Chain lube Air filter cleaner Air filter oil 4-5 air filters 2-3 air filter cages extra set of tires extra top end...
Center stand
Transmission oil
Chain lube
Air filter cleaner
Air filter oil
4-5 air filters
2-3 air filter cages
extra set of tires
extra top end
extra set of levers
X2
Ktm 125's need a clean filter every time you hit the track to run crisp keep your plug chocolate brown and you'll be fine.
CRFracer117
Fantasy
3845th
9/16/2013 8:37am
Go ahead and get a set of Works Connection radiator braces, not the bulky ones that wrap around the radiators the ones that fit behind the shrouds. You will thank me when you aren't buy new radiators.

Go ahead and buy a set of ASV levers to.
Utrider
Fantasy
1521st
9/16/2013 10:16am
I'm surprised no one mentioned Ktmtalk.com I know this falls into the category of useful information...........carry on.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
9/16/2013 2:10pm
Of course a.Counter Sprocket Tool from SprocketStuff.
You should have a box with,
"T" handle wrenches,
Basic open end box wrench set,
Spare plug and plug wrench,
Tire pump & gauge,
Euro spare screw assortment,
Zip ties,
Can WD-40 and chain lube
And youll just start to aquire stuff,
TM
86 honda
9/16/2013 6:24pm
1. tire tools
2. air pump
3. spare tubes
4. metric tool kit
5. metric bolt kit
6. first aid kit
7. ice chest
8. oil
9. paper towels
10. energy drinks
11.hot chicks
12. cool dog
13. bananas
14. big whips
15.motor coach
16. backwards hat
if I missed anything Its because Im not cool.

Post a reply to: Motocross bike essentials

The Latest