Motocross App. Would you use it?

reded
12/22/2014 6:51am Edited Date/Time 12/22/2014 6:53am
How about an app like iFixIt for motorcycles? It would be handy to have a quick reference guide for torque specs or seeing how something came apart and goes back together.

It would be especially handy for people selling on C-List to see how to route a front brake hose.
Spydee
12/22/2014 7:31am
MotoChick Finder. Like Tinder, but for MotoChicks. Boom. You can have that one on the house.
12/22/2014 8:47am
Dude that sounds like an awesome idea! I would get it. Beats the old pen and paper. Other things to consider:
-race schedule (calendar)
-lap times get stored for certain tracks.
-links to online parts for certain bikes.
Just a few. Good luck and let us know if you go through with it.
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
12/22/2014 9:21am
Definitely the basics need to be there. Ability to store settings that worked, download maintenance info and diagrams, etc.

But a cooler thing would be if you could download other people's settings for the same bike for when you visit a new track, at least for tires, jetting, etc (suspension doesn't translate). Then if it has a lap time counter (just build it in off the gps like Strava), it would be awesome to compare lap times at different tracks, either for that day, week or month, by bike type.

Go for it.

The Shop

SEE ARE125
12/22/2014 9:39am Edited Date/Time 12/22/2014 9:43am
I'm going to be honest here, so don't think I'm bashing you. How exactly are you going to track maintenance intervals? That one I don't understand, but I'm going to come back to it at the end because I have what I think may be a decent idea, but it will be more than an app. Pre-flight checklists and suspension, jetting, and mapping can all be stored in my phones Note Pad, so I don't see a need for an app. My phone also has a stopwatch, so it can take lap times, and I can screen shot them and export them to where ever or save them for future reference. Again, I don't see a need for an app.

Now back to the maintenance intervals, I do have an idea for that. I'm not really a tech guy, so I can't explain HOW to do it, only something I would like. This is probably going to be long winded and maybe confusing, but I'll try. This is something I would totally use, and I think most others would, too, but like I said, this will be more than an app. Since most people perform various maintenance at every X amount of hours, what about an hour meter that sends push notifications to your phone at a user selected setting for a specific type of maintenance. Say you change your oil every 5 hours, when your bike hits 5hrs, you would get a notification on your phone that says "Change oil in 2012 CRF450." When you open the notification, it gives you the brand and weight of the oil/filter you used last time. It will send a notification 5hrs from the time you reset it, so say you go over to 6.25hrs before you changed the oil and reset the interval on your phone, the next notification would be at 11.25hrs. The app would include oil, trans oil, air filter, valve adjustments, rebuilds, repack exhaust etc., basically all maintenance. The user could enter their own name for the bike, instead of a pre-existing list of year/make/model, that way if they have two 2012 CRF450s, they could use the last 6 of the VIN or something. The app would keep a record of all maintenance, and you could email the maintenance history so you can print if off and have it ready for a buyer when it comes time to sell the bike. You could also add in custom stuff that you do, and it would keep track of when you did it. Say you replaced the tires, or bought a new exhaust, when you did that, you would manually enter it in the app and the date/time/bike hrs would be recorded in the history. Like I said, you would have to create some sort of hr meter that would communicate with your phone, and I'm not a tech guy so I'm not sure how to do that. It could use Wi-Fi I guess, and when you brought the bike home or somewhere with Wi-Fi, it would automatically upload the current bike hrs to the app. EDIT: Maybe it could also be a wired connection to your phone, so you could upload anywhere. Again, not a tech guy, but I think it would be pretty neat.
tomm55x
12/22/2014 10:34am
Yes i could use it right now replacing the shift stopper lever on my 2014 YZF 250 on how to remove this and replace it without taking half of the transmission apart. I watched a video on it but it was very vague, even though it is fairly accessible I know there is spring tension on it and I don't want to damage anything. Anyone care to chime in on how to do this please feel free!
casper
12/22/2014 10:37am
I've thought about the same idea for an app, and it's still on the back burner. If you just want to build the app for fun, then go ahead and build it, you will learn a bunch(if you haven't already made apps). If you are looking to make money off it, you might want to look at making it work for all types of motorcycles like Cruisers and Sport bikes. Free apps need allot of downloads and repeat users to make any worthwhile money from it.
12/22/2014 11:01am
gear bag checklist. No telling how many times my ADD has made forget my gear. You should make it so that you can't do anything else in the app without checking off all your gear first. Just like in real life.
nytsmaC
12/22/2014 11:31am Edited Date/Time 12/22/2014 11:32am
Jetting and suspension setting records would be a nice addition. I keep a notebook for maintenance records, parts replacement and bike setup, I'd rather use an app.
Skippie
12/22/2014 11:51am
I know you can't do this but if Vital had a mobile app I would never get anything done. But ya basically an app to store various settings would be rad.
Agent717
12/22/2014 12:27pm
I would definitely buy an app with maintenance interval tracking and maybe you could get some factory mechanics to contribute to a tips/tricks section. I heard Berluti isn't very busy...
thebleakness
12/22/2014 12:49pm
I've actually been planning a very similar app for awhile and currently developing it myself. Basically very similar to how SEE ARE125 explains it. Every bike has it's own OE supplied maintenance intervals and those are used as a base interval group and as the user updates the hours (or miles/kms), it checks against the interval database and creates a service ticket/notification. Everything interval is adjustable (because no one wants to change a crank every 15hrs) but the whole database is huge.

I'm building mine as a web app that way it's cross compatible to every device. As time goes on, I was planning on adding in all the tech specs as well for each interval. Say for instance you want to check the valves, you measure the valve gap and input your findings. It compares that reading to the database and notifies you if you're good or not. I'd like to be able to add in the shim size that you install so the program will tell you exactly what shim size to put in next. Example (UOM omitted): You have .001 valve clearance and you had previously put in a 1.245 shim in, the program would calculate and tell you to put in a 1.240 shim to achieve a .006 valve clearance. It's simple math but I know many people who mess it up time and time again. Every service ticket would have similar tips and tricks.

I've got a decent working app going but it's not ready for demo yet, there's quite abit going on that it's taken months to think around. It's something fun to do and I've learned tons. I think it's got potential, I just need to get a decent working beta...

Here's a quick mock-up I did awhile back of one of the basic valve adjust screen I mentioned above.

For a few other pictures and some info, here's a post I threw up a few weeks ago http://janikknittle.com/moto-spanner-app-mockup/
rt987
12/22/2014 9:02pm
Thanks guys. I've done a mockup of what I'd like a while back, but never followed through with it. To me it it just a little too "iffy" whether there is a market or there isn't. Most of my moto buddies I asked thought it would be cool, but that's all they thought. I tried MxBuddy for a little while and its nice, but you can go broke trying all the trinkets.

Think I'll leave it for a while, maybe think of things as I go along. For now going to finish my current project (game) and then I'd really like to tackle a mobile 3D MX game.
Crush
12/22/2014 9:07pm
I use my iPad for manuals etc... handy, and can play podcasts while I work.

Just need to make sure it's got good voice activation/recognition. Working with gloves isn't always practical and oily hands on your phone or ipad aren't awesome

Post a reply to: Motocross App. Would you use it?

The Latest