MotoSport just lost another customer

BM255
I don't often start posts and don't really like to bitch about stuff, but today I just feel I need to share my utter frustration and disgust at the experience I had with MotoSport.
I've been a customer on and off for years, and they have usually been my first pick when I need to order parts.

This time however, after filling my cart with various parts totalling around $500 I proceeded to the checkout and began the process of verifying my order and setting up payment etc. At the very last step I was surprised to find that they had added an additional $320 to my total which they attributed to "duties and taxes", this they say is to cover all New Zealand duties and taxes. I looked for the button to deselect this option as I always pay those costs directly to the New Zealand customs service locally on arrival.

There didn't seem to be a way to remove these charges so I sent them an email to ask for assistance. They replied promptly telling me it is a charge applied by their billing agent Borderfree, and that there is no option to remove it.
This pissed me off in a major way as it is my right to choose how I pay New Zealand customs charges (if applicable).

I should also point out that I calculated the correct taxes and customs charges that would be due for this particular order and it would have been less than $100 NZD (about $68 USD) so where do they get off trying to force me to pay $320 USD (about $470 NZD) for a service I don't need or want?
They were not interested in discussing the matter and politely wished me luck in finding the parts I need elsewhere.
When I emailed them again to challenge them on their questionable tactics and the value of the charges they were applying, they never responded.

It's unbelievable how this company treats it's New Zealand customers, I will never consider spending another cent with company again and I hope others follow my lead.

Rant over....
|
Plugga
9/29/2016 12:48am Edited Date/Time 9/29/2016 12:55am
Mate, that is indeed shithouse. But as you will know there are plenty of other companies that will take your Money.

I recommend BTO. but even better was Riders Discount.

Part Shark too.
BM255
9/29/2016 1:14am
Plugga wrote:
Mate, that is indeed shithouse. But as you will know there are plenty of other companies that will take your Money. I recommend BTO. but even...
Mate, that is indeed shithouse. But as you will know there are plenty of other companies that will take your Money.

I recommend BTO. but even better was Riders Discount.

Part Shark too.
I've used BTO and Part Shark before, they were both fine, never tried Riders Discount though.

Things have really gone downhill at MotoSport since they were sold last year, seems like they have forgotten their roots and values. I used to deal with a guy there called Rusty, he would often help me with orders and finding parts I need, even gave me discounts from time to time on shipping. That personal touch and customer centric approach has gone out the window.
Rotaholic
9/29/2016 1:27am Edited Date/Time 9/29/2016 1:28am
Yeah eBay sellers are starting that shit too, I use motocrosgiant or bto, also check out wiggle and chain reaction cycles

The Shop

tempura
9/29/2016 1:31am
I've had exactly the same deal with motosport. Their charges are shocking for overseas duties and charges, with no option to pay duties yourself. That's why BTO Sports gets my business. They aren't the fastest at getting your order out, but they are reliable, and leave the duty charges for the customer to deal with. It works out considerably cheaper.
BM255
9/29/2016 1:34am
Rotaholic wrote:
Yeah eBay sellers are starting that shit too, I use motocrosgiant or bto, also check out wiggle and chain reaction cycles
Yeah I wouldn't mind if it was the real value of the GST, it would actually be quite helpful, but to mark it up 400% is just taking the piss.

I haven't tried those other sites you mentioned, will check them out
chump6784
9/29/2016 1:40am
Is it much cheaper ordering from there than somewhere in NZ? I have found with the current exchange rate and shipping the difference isn't worth the hassle. My local shop gets everything for me now
BM255
9/29/2016 2:16am
chump6784 wrote:
Is it much cheaper ordering from there than somewhere in NZ? I have found with the current exchange rate and shipping the difference isn't worth the...
Is it much cheaper ordering from there than somewhere in NZ? I have found with the current exchange rate and shipping the difference isn't worth the hassle. My local shop gets everything for me now
You have a point but a lot of the stuff I'm after just isn't available here or the local shops aren't really interested in sourcing them for me. I'm mainly rebuilding old bikes so many of the parts have been discontinued or have superseded part numbers so they have to manually send a list of parts to Japan and wait to hear back. It takes ages and so they just can't be bothered.
I find the online sites have automated all that, so I wait until I have a big shopping list then just order online and get it all in one go.
David934
9/29/2016 3:05am Edited Date/Time 9/29/2016 3:06am
I do not need parts order from around the world, i have local shops, lol
Rotaholic
9/29/2016 3:28am
I try and order stuff locally and they say they can get it in, might be 6 weeks. lol its a 12 hour flight. The world has changed and it has gotten a lot smaller. I support my local shops as much as I can but man they do my head in.
If you ask about a product they don't have in the store they normally say its crap and try and sell you something in store, that's when I walk out.
newmann
9/29/2016 5:54am
Being here in the states I get excellent service from them but the people packing the orders need to be slapped upside their fuggin heads. Thankfully my most recent order had no chain lube.Laughing
hvaughn88
9/29/2016 6:09am
newmann wrote:
Being here in the states I get excellent service from them but the people packing the orders need to be slapped upside their fuggin heads. Thankfully...
Being here in the states I get excellent service from them but the people packing the orders need to be slapped upside their fuggin heads. Thankfully my most recent order had no chain lube.Laughing
I've noticed that too from a few different places. I can't figure out if it's shitty packing or just getting the hell beat out of them from the carrier. The other day I ordered some posters from one of the magazines and they were creased and the corners were all bent. I thought about trying to send them back but I figured it would be a huge waste of time and the next ones would be the same way.
7I3N
9/29/2016 6:11am

Moto520
9/29/2016 6:14am
Motosport does a great job for their American customers. My guess is they were told to handle it this way by the US government because they got audited or something along those lines. It's probably less than 5% of their business working with international customers so,this is how it has to be done to protect themselves.

They do well by me and always have. You seriously don't have a place within your own country to order this stuff?

One of many things I love about our country is the general desire for Americans to buy from Americans.
9/29/2016 7:31am
I've only had one problem with Motosport sending me wrong piston rings called them and they sent me two sets of the right ones no questions asked. I usually go to Rocky Mountain and Motosport for parts and bto for gear plus bto gives a discount when you call and mention pulpmx on your order.
mingham97
9/29/2016 7:47am Edited Date/Time 9/29/2016 8:11am
I work in a bike shop and would happily beat any online price plus shipping. You should ask the next time you want to order some bits. Not so much your old parts because yes they can be very hard to source, but anything common you should support your local. Money spent goes to the owner of Motosport buying their 3rd holiday house but buying local probably means paying school fees for the owners kids or groceries or what ever. Online shopping doesn't kill us atm with the exchange rate, but things change and it will take us the world storm and you can say good bye to your last minute Saturday parts pick up because there won't be any shops open. Sorry for the rant but you would feel the same if your work was being out sourced over seas.

EDIT: I have ordered online before, plenty of times, how ever, over time I know that the profits made out from my custom are sending some kid to school
newmann
9/29/2016 7:53am
Moto520 wrote:
Motosport does a great job for their American customers. My guess is they were told to handle it this way by the US government because they...
Motosport does a great job for their American customers. My guess is they were told to handle it this way by the US government because they got audited or something along those lines. It's probably less than 5% of their business working with international customers so,this is how it has to be done to protect themselves.

They do well by me and always have. You seriously don't have a place within your own country to order this stuff?

One of many things I love about our country is the general desire for Americans to buy from Americans.

I would like to be able to buy quality American made goods from Americans. Other than that, I just try to buy a quality product. Chinese made garbage is always at the bottom of my list.
twotwosix
9/29/2016 9:53am Edited Date/Time 9/29/2016 9:53am
They didn't do anything wrong to deserve you bashing them on a forum.

Because they choose to follow US laws and be proactive about setting an international customer's expectations properly, when most places just let the end user deal with import fees and duties, you bash them online. You don't have to purchase from them if you don't want to.

They are better off without having to deal with your attitude about a hypothetical purchase that never happened.
newmann
9/29/2016 10:33am Edited Date/Time 9/29/2016 10:35am
I'm sure the OP has already been contacted through Vital PM by now. They have already contacted me to ask about my chain lube incident which was handled quickly and efficiently by them when that order was received. Nothing a little packing material won't take care of. Like I said above, I have always gotten excellent service. Best part about a screw up is seeing how it is handled when taking care of the problem. That is the easiest way to guarantee a customer for life.
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
9/29/2016 11:17am
newmann wrote:
I'm sure the OP has already been contacted through Vital PM by now. They have already contacted me to ask about my chain lube incident which...
I'm sure the OP has already been contacted through Vital PM by now. They have already contacted me to ask about my chain lube incident which was handled quickly and efficiently by them when that order was received. Nothing a little packing material won't take care of. Like I said above, I have always gotten excellent service. Best part about a screw up is seeing how it is handled when taking care of the problem. That is the easiest way to guarantee a customer for life.
Very true. I've had excellent service from motosport. I've had excellent service from BTO and rocky mountain as well.

The winner would bet BTO when they had the pulpmx discount code, since they axed it and require a phone conversations, I moved on... I know right, just call.. But i work nights and weekends a lot so my orders are placed when they are not open, I bet they have lost 1k from me this year.
metzler316
9/29/2016 12:20pm
BM255 wrote:
I don't often start posts and don't really like to bitch about stuff, but today I just feel I need to share my utter frustration and...
I don't often start posts and don't really like to bitch about stuff, but today I just feel I need to share my utter frustration and disgust at the experience I had with MotoSport.
I've been a customer on and off for years, and they have usually been my first pick when I need to order parts.

This time however, after filling my cart with various parts totalling around $500 I proceeded to the checkout and began the process of verifying my order and setting up payment etc. At the very last step I was surprised to find that they had added an additional $320 to my total which they attributed to "duties and taxes", this they say is to cover all New Zealand duties and taxes. I looked for the button to deselect this option as I always pay those costs directly to the New Zealand customs service locally on arrival.

There didn't seem to be a way to remove these charges so I sent them an email to ask for assistance. They replied promptly telling me it is a charge applied by their billing agent Borderfree, and that there is no option to remove it.
This pissed me off in a major way as it is my right to choose how I pay New Zealand customs charges (if applicable).

I should also point out that I calculated the correct taxes and customs charges that would be due for this particular order and it would have been less than $100 NZD (about $68 USD) so where do they get off trying to force me to pay $320 USD (about $470 NZD) for a service I don't need or want?
They were not interested in discussing the matter and politely wished me luck in finding the parts I need elsewhere.
When I emailed them again to challenge them on their questionable tactics and the value of the charges they were applying, they never responded.

It's unbelievable how this company treats it's New Zealand customers, I will never consider spending another cent with company again and I hope others follow my lead.

Rant over....
BM255 – We want to apologize for the poor service you received Tuesday and we’re sorry you had to jump through some hoops on the order you placed today. Rusty is still with us; if you haven’t already received a call from him today to make amends, you can expect to receive one from him soon. We do offer the option for paying duties and taxes upon delivery. We’re unclear on why that option wasn’t shown to you at the time of checkout (perhaps due to your specific location?), but we’re in the process of looking into things and we definitely want to make things right. Again, our sincere apologies for the frustrating experience.
ns503
9/29/2016 1:17pm
twotwosix wrote:
They didn't do anything wrong to deserve you bashing them on a forum. Because they choose to follow US laws and be proactive about setting an...
They didn't do anything wrong to deserve you bashing them on a forum.

Because they choose to follow US laws and be proactive about setting an international customer's expectations properly, when most places just let the end user deal with import fees and duties, you bash them online. You don't have to purchase from them if you don't want to.

They are better off without having to deal with your attitude about a hypothetical purchase that never happened.
Post 3 down from yours says otherwise. Smile
9/29/2016 5:07pm
Rocky mountain or partzilla. Motosport started charging taxes shipped here in ca. No one else does
9/29/2016 8:23pm
Sounds like there is an attempt to look into and rectify the situation. For those saying they have done nothing wrong, well, i would suggest that a system that tries to collect $320 in duties and taxes, when the correct amount is calculated at $68 is wrong. The OP tried to point out the miscalculation and was originally told to stick it. Would the $320 US go to the NZ government and then be recalculated and a reimbursement issued for the balance? I doubt it.
kzizok
Fantasy
2068th
9/29/2016 8:35pm
tempura wrote:
Walmart..lol
Actually, you would be shocked to know what you can buy from Wal Mart. Most people know nothing about it. For instance:

tempura
9/29/2016 8:51pm
How they set it up for Japan is, everything is automatically priced with all duties and charges. For example a FMF 2stroke pipe would cost me $35 more at Motosport than BTO. The actual charges are much less.
I guess it's in their best interest, otherwise they wouldn't have it set up that way.
Not in my best interest, and so, while they use this system, I'll buy elsewhere.
Rocky Mountain are worse, I can't even order online and pay with a card with them, from Japan.
I do most of my business with local shops, but sometimes it's in my interest to buy from overseas.
tempura
9/29/2016 8:57pm
kzizok wrote:
Actually, you would be shocked to know what you can buy from Wal Mart. Most people know nothing about it. For instance: [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/09/29/153953/s1200_IMG_2083.jpg[/img]
Actually, you would be shocked to know what you can buy from Wal Mart. Most people know nothing about it. For instance:

Yeah, I was really just having a giggle at the comment about Americans wanting to deal with Americans. I think Newmann maybe knew what I was meaning, with his comment about Americans selling "cheap Chinese made garbage" to each other.
Moto520
9/29/2016 9:13pm
Motosport is by far the best company to buy parts from. They ship the items extremely quickly and I could not ask for anything more. The one time I ordered boots that I didn't like they took them back with no questions asked. I'm a loyal customer and believer in motosport. Great company that also supports the sport. I generally order late at night on a whim and get the crap 2 days later. What more could you expect?

I'll defend this company until the end so I would just move on with any negative comments. They can charge whatever they want.....it is their prerogative.

Viva la Motosport!
9/29/2016 9:23pm
I've never had a problem with Motosport. Their service has been great. Unfortunately for them I have been finding way way better prices elsewhere. For OEM anything, go Honda of Toledo East you will be blown away at the price difference.

Post a reply to: MotoSport just lost another customer

The Latest