Moto , what was and could never be .

HF31
Let me start off by saying and admitting that , I'm a 26 year old C class to B class rider depending on how much time I have to ride . But , I am fully committed to the sport. I am blessed in the matter that I have two older brothers that grew up in the prime age of the 90s Moto scene . I can remember watching terrafirma 1 ,2 and 3 religiously and riding around my drive way playing face to face - disconnected on a pedal bike . My question is and will always be , what happened to Moto ? I watch races now and can't help to think its not for the love of the sport . I have Moto 1 through 7 and it will never compare to any terrafirma video . Dirt bikes are supposed to be fun , family oriented , and for the love of the sport . If you ask me Moto is dead . I have a handful of friends that race pro and hold actual jobs and they can barely make mains now because of spoiled kids that have trainers and rides from the age of 12 . I know this post is more of a complaint than anything but it pains me to know that young riders will never experience the heart of Moto .
|
kkawboy14
8/23/2016 6:29pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2016 6:30pm
RC sucked the fun out of it and set the rule that when your back tire hits the ground it should be wide open for 3 tanks of gas!

If you want to see "fun" you have to watch the stuff Pastranas crew is doing!
tobz
8/23/2016 6:35pm Edited Date/Time 8/23/2016 6:37pm
The older we get the better things were. Classic "there's were better back in the day"

My other major hobby in the off season of moto was video gaming, like, serious hours per day of it but these days the games feel shallow and I can't get into them as much, my ps4 hasn't been switched on in months. Now I'd rather surf, run, bike, travel. But it's probably a case of me changing rather than the industry itself, if that makes sense.

But I've always loved getting on the bike, it's just that these days it doesn't happen anywhere near as much as it used it.

The Shop

HF31
8/23/2016 6:37pm
If your looking at videos to have fun on a dirt bike your doing it wrong. Riding is as fun as ever.
If your looking at videos to have fun on a dirt bike your doing it wrong. Riding is as fun as ever.
I agree , as I stated I ride. Nothing is better than being on a bike . However , my main point is . Scrubs like me and 90 % of the sport have a blast , when you hit the upper echelon you lose site of what the sport is about !
HF31
8/23/2016 6:41pm
tobz wrote:
The older we get the better things were. Classic "there's were better back in the day" My other major hobby in the off season of moto...
The older we get the better things were. Classic "there's were better back in the day"

My other major hobby in the off season of moto was video gaming, like, serious hours per day of it but these days the games feel shallow and I can't get into them as much, my ps4 hasn't been switched on in months. Now I'd rather surf, run, bike, travel. But it's probably a case of me changing rather than the industry itself, if that makes sense.

But I've always loved getting on the bike, it's just that these days it doesn't happen anywhere near as much as it used it.
Yeah , I totally agree . It's probably me more than anything but what happened to moto ,RC cars and New Age music! I guess I'm older than I think .
HF31
8/23/2016 6:41pm
I remember when I had my first beer...
Last time I heard that I fell of my dinosaur. !
wreckitrandy
8/23/2016 6:43pm
I think it was Hannah that said, "You can work now and play later or, you can play now and play work later."
jeffro503
8/23/2016 6:44pm
Sports evolve. Records , sooner or later get beaten. Athletes get better and more prepared. They get faster. Equipment gets better.....everything changes in time. Some see it as bad , some see it as good. It's all in the individual's perception.

Some of these younger guys tear it up on the track , but they tear it up off the track as well. Sure , they train their ass off , but a lot of them have fun behind the scenes in which we don't get to see.

MC , Emig and that era....it was cool to let everyone know you were partying like a rock star ( and they were ).....today's youth seem to be a little more tame , but also more quite about it.

This sport is awesome.....and to me , it's the best sport on this planet. Guys that want to come in and change thing dramatically.....go find another sport. This one changes with time , just like any other.

I do however miss the vibe from the 80's , 90's and even 2000's.....but I was younger then and could rationalize with it better. Today.....yeah , we could use some changes....But ya know what?.....Still the best sport on earth!
8/23/2016 6:46pm
Imo...4 strokes took a lot of fun out of riding...did for me...
Don't get me wrong, I firmly believe they're superior race bikes to the smokers (but just barely)...but the damn things just Arn't as thrilling to race..ride..hear..smell as a two stroke..

It's funny...you work your ass off racing two strokes, but they're off the charts in the reward and fun factor.
mark1960
8/23/2016 7:10pm

Some of you are delusional, the best mx days were the 80s.
8/23/2016 7:12pm
Most of these guys are going to counter your point simply because it's what they do.

I agree whole heartedly with the OP and think that money is the biggest limiting factor for a lot of kids. It's a bummer, but also the way of the world in nearly every other respect of life.
Grizz
8/23/2016 7:13pm
This is just not true. Motocross is as fun as ever, you must be doing it wrong.
8/23/2016 7:16pm
You sound premix deficient, I'll prescribe you a day on a 125 and you should be having fun again.
HF31
8/23/2016 7:18pm
HF31 wrote:
Let me start off by saying and admitting that , I'm a 26 year old C class to B class rider depending on how much time...
Let me start off by saying and admitting that , I'm a 26 year old C class to B class rider depending on how much time I have to ride . But , I am fully committed to the sport. I am blessed in the matter that I have two older brothers that grew up in the prime age of the 90s Moto scene . I can remember watching terrafirma 1 ,2 and 3 religiously and riding around my drive way playing face to face - disconnected on a pedal bike . My question is and will always be , what happened to Moto ? I watch races now and can't help to think its not for the love of the sport . I have Moto 1 through 7 and it will never compare to any terrafirma video . Dirt bikes are supposed to be fun , family oriented , and for the love of the sport . If you ask me Moto is dead . I have a handful of friends that race pro and hold actual jobs and they can barely make mains now because of spoiled kids that have trainers and rides from the age of 12 . I know this post is more of a complaint than anything but it pains me to know that young riders will never experience the heart of Moto .
I know forums usually end in bashing the original post. However , if anyone is on this forum on a moto site that comments a Moto related subject , wouldn't you suspect that they love Moto ? I just think it's ironic that people are pulling my chain like I don't live eat and breathe dirt bikes just like you do
HF31
8/23/2016 7:20pm
Kx125rider wrote:
You sound premix deficient, I'll prescribe you a day on a 125 and you should be having fun again.
I have a can of c12 in a 250 ready to rip I think I'm efficient on the smoker side of it
jmx411
8/23/2016 7:35pm
If racers now posted videos of partying like MC and Emig did back in the day vital would explode. Nothing but a bunch of hypocrites on here
8/23/2016 7:37pm
I hate to break it to you but moto is about winning and nothing else.
That is why it is so hard. Be a warrior or go home. That is why 99.99% of the people that attempt it, fail.
Recognize it as a thing of beauty and find something else to make your living at.
HF31
8/23/2016 7:40pm
HF31 wrote:
Let me start off by saying and admitting that , I'm a 26 year old C class to B class rider depending on how much time...
Here , I'll explode everyone's minds and opinions even more , I don't post often but who thinks the main guys blood dope now ?! Just saying . Can you really be that fast to lap half the field. I was in the military for many years and trained my ass off and hsve a hard time believing someone could hold her wide that long
early
Fantasy
2231st
8/23/2016 7:49pm
Every sport has gotten more serious and specialized in the last 20-40 years. The upper level of newer individual sports/hobbies like MX, mtn biking, skateboarding, rock climbing, whitewater kayak, RC racing is advancing at exponential rates because of better equipment, better techniques and greater commitment. It is almost impossible to be one of the best in the country/world in any activity if that activity is not your fulltime job.
chump6784
8/23/2016 7:58pm
With moto trying to become more mainstream the riders can't get away with the shit they used to. Sponsors don't want to see their star riders who they are paying big bucks off their faces dancing with strippers.
In the 90's and 2000's moto was for those guys who were a little bit crazy in the head and it was marketed as such. Even though the biggest sponsors are energy drinks I feel there is more of a professional, clean cut look to moto now
Also social media means people get away with less. Look at the pc and hooters deal, if it weren't for social media no-one would have ever found out
I'm 32 and always say to my wife that I'm glad I grew up when I did and not in the pussified, skinny jeans wearing, latte sipping generation of today
HF31
8/23/2016 8:01pm
chump6784 wrote:
With moto trying to become more mainstream the riders can't get away with the shit they used to. Sponsors don't want to see their star riders...
With moto trying to become more mainstream the riders can't get away with the shit they used to. Sponsors don't want to see their star riders who they are paying big bucks off their faces dancing with strippers.
In the 90's and 2000's moto was for those guys who were a little bit crazy in the head and it was marketed as such. Even though the biggest sponsors are energy drinks I feel there is more of a professional, clean cut look to moto now
Also social media means people get away with less. Look at the pc and hooters deal, if it weren't for social media no-one would have ever found out
I'm 32 and always say to my wife that I'm glad I grew up when I did and not in the pussified, skinny jeans wearing, latte sipping generation of today
Fourth_Floor
8/23/2016 8:04pm
You're past your prime dude. I too thought the sport was way cooler back when the first Crusty came out and all that stuff but that's the era I grew up riding in. The young kids in their prime today are going to be thinking the same thing once they're older. Everything was always better "back in the day". There are fellas out there that think we're all a bunch of pussies for having more than 4" of suspension travel and the jumps actually having landings. There has always been spoiled rich kids in the sport but if the young kid on a 5 year old bike wants it bad enough he'll make a track out in the woods or hills to work on corner speed. You don't need a perfectly pedicured cookie cutter track to practice starts or cornering which are where races are won and lost.
zehn
8/23/2016 8:08pm
mark1960 wrote:

Some of you are delusional, the best mx days were the 80s.
My dad would tell you it was the late 60s and early 70s in SoCal... This argument goes nowhere and is basically the crux of OP's argument
zehn
8/23/2016 8:10pm
chump6784 wrote:
With moto trying to become more mainstream the riders can't get away with the shit they used to. Sponsors don't want to see their star riders...
Wow bro you're so cool
chump6784
8/23/2016 8:11pm
chump6784 wrote:
zehn wrote:
Wow bro you're so cool
Thanks, I think so too
HF31
8/23/2016 8:12pm
You're past your prime dude. I too thought the sport was way cooler back when the first Crusty came out and all that stuff but that's...
You're past your prime dude. I too thought the sport was way cooler back when the first Crusty came out and all that stuff but that's the era I grew up riding in. The young kids in their prime today are going to be thinking the same thing once they're older. Everything was always better "back in the day". There are fellas out there that think we're all a bunch of pussies for having more than 4" of suspension travel and the jumps actually having landings. There has always been spoiled rich kids in the sport but if the young kid on a 5 year old bike wants it bad enough he'll make a track out in the woods or hills to work on corner speed. You don't need a perfectly pedicured cookie cutter track to practice starts or cornering which are where races are won and lost.
I hear you man and I agree , which Brings me to my next point , these tracks are too gnarly nowadays , these young wipper snappers will hold that throttle wide no matter what and a lot of them are getting hurt . They need to tame it down . Fans don't need to see 180 ft triples if you can watch a nascar race with nothing but left turns and good racing you can watch a motocross race , that's why early Moto was awesome . Good competitive battles .
slipdog
8/23/2016 8:23pm
chump6784 wrote:
zehn wrote:
Wow bro you're so cool
Do you wear skinny jeans, Bro? Just askin'...
zehn
8/23/2016 8:27pm
chump6784 wrote:
zehn wrote:
Wow bro you're so cool
slipdog wrote:
Do you wear skinny jeans, Bro? Just askin'...
Nope.

You've never been to Alaska, have you?

Post a reply to: Moto , what was and could never be .

The Latest