Moto on the big screen

JW381
Edited Date/Time 10/15/2014 10:30am
I watched Rush last night for the second time, great movie. Got me thinking, what race/season/story Woukd make the best moto movie. Let's assume a guy like Ron Howard wanted to sell a story from our sport to the masses, what story would be the best? I'm sure most of the answers will be from the 70's and 80's, which I have no beef with, but would they translate to the big screen as well as Rush did? Just a question.

Massacre at Saddleback
Magoo
Lackey
Let Brock Bye
Bailey
McGrath and Emig in the 90's
Other
|
peelout
10/15/2014 9:45am
the Massacre of September 23, 2007

MC and Emig in the 90's would be decent, but they were't completely different from one another like Lauda and Hunt... the only difference was that MC won a fuck ton and Emig didn't, they were both partying at Havasu on Sunday.

ps... Rush was an awesome flick
JW381
10/15/2014 9:58am
peelout wrote:
the Massacre of September 23, 2007 MC and Emig in the 90's would be decent, but they were't completely different from one another like Lauda and...
the Massacre of September 23, 2007

MC and Emig in the 90's would be decent, but they were't completely different from one another like Lauda and Hunt... the only difference was that MC won a fuck ton and Emig didn't, they were both partying at Havasu on Sunday.

ps... Rush was an awesome flick
True about Emig and MC. It would take both of them to open up ab their lives more (skeletons in the closet) to make that story happen.

The more I think about it Lackeys GP career probably has the craziest stories. The on track story is great but I'm sure he went thru some shit off the track too, being an American in Europe riding a CZ in the Cold War.

Hannah is such a character his life would make a great movie.

What was cool about Rush is that a lot of people probably had no clue those events ever happened (my young self included). I'd love to see one of those stories in moto make it to the masses.
MT MX
10/15/2014 10:09am
A lot of shorter video's have been made, but I think an actual movie on Trey Canard would be pretty awesome.........ALL of the challenges he's had in his life and always seems to come back, his childhood and growing up in a moto shop and his unfortunate loss. Winning a Lite's 250 SX championship his first try. He might not have as many wins as RC or James, but damn that kid has busted his balls and never given up.
Also, I think someone could pull it off, but a movie about JT Racing. Similar to the movie 'Drift'. If you haven't seen the movie, check it out it's on Netflix.
O___o
10/15/2014 10:29am
It would be Brad Lackey going behind the Iron Curtain at about 16 years old to pursue a World Championship.

Guy gets to Suzuki, and they tell him the following year they are canning their open class effort. "Now or never"

He puts the Simonz front end on the bike... Suzuki tells him no... He responds "if you want a World Championship, they stay on the bike" Fast forward 6-7 years and every bike on the track has upside down forks.

Forgot which Belgian was running second in points that year, but apparently at Namur, he had to time his perfectly where he passed the guy with a lap or less to go, otherwise the Belgian fans would crowd the track, throw shit at him and rip him off his bike.

Before you call BS on the fans ripping dudes off their bikes, they broke Graham Noyce's arm.

As far as movie cinematography and drama go, I don't think there is a better story. The dude is the "James Dean" of motocross, plus you could do a little "Marty Moates USGP" segment in there somehow.

The Shop

JW381
10/15/2014 10:30am
O___o wrote:
It would be Brad Lackey going behind the Iron Curtain at about 16 years old to pursue a World Championship. Guy gets to Suzuki, and they...
It would be Brad Lackey going behind the Iron Curtain at about 16 years old to pursue a World Championship.

Guy gets to Suzuki, and they tell him the following year they are canning their open class effort. "Now or never"

He puts the Simonz front end on the bike... Suzuki tells him no... He responds "if you want a World Championship, they stay on the bike" Fast forward 6-7 years and every bike on the track has upside down forks.

Forgot which Belgian was running second in points that year, but apparently at Namur, he had to time his perfectly where he passed the guy with a lap or less to go, otherwise the Belgian fans would crowd the track, throw shit at him and rip him off his bike.

Before you call BS on the fans ripping dudes off their bikes, they broke Graham Noyce's arm.

As far as movie cinematography and drama go, I don't think there is a better story. The dude is the "James Dean" of motocross, plus you could do a little "Marty Moates USGP" segment in there somehow.
That's what I was thinking! Let's start writing Ron Howard.

Post a reply to: Moto on the big screen

The Latest