Moto on the Huffington Post

Nerd
12/16/2011 6:00pm
[b]Nerd wrote: [/b][i]"Because the crash at Washougal, Trey wasn't scrubbing any harder than anyone else near the front. He didn't scrub too hard, he made a...
Nerd wrote: "Because the crash at Washougal, Trey wasn't scrubbing any harder than anyone else near the front. He didn't scrub too hard, he made a mistake because he missed the line he was taking in previous laps, and that line gave him a lot less lift on his front wheel."

I think the Washougal crash is a perfect example of Canard's excessive reliance on the "dangerous maneuver" known as the scrub. Either that round or the round before, Trey said he was gonna take it slow and not go crazy trying to hang with the leaders. But in a (very) recent interview, he said he can't just take it easy; if he's anywhere near the lead, he has to give it everything because "my job is to go as fast as I can to try to win the race."

So he's going after Dungey and he takes a different line through the corner right before THE JUMP, trying to close the gap. If he's a Dungey or a Villopoto, maybe he realizes before he gets to the jump that, as you said, he'd have "a lot less lift on his front wheel" because of the different line he took. But because he's Turbo Trey and he's an overzealous mofo (in more ways than one), he just twists the throttle and holds on.

Dungey's blazing fast and he never crashes. RD and Trey need a play date ASAP. It'd be nice if they were teammates. Someone like Bubba's been doing the "balls-out" thing too long to change; Canard is still soft and moldable, like the head of an infant. It's not too late, Trey.
I know what he said. I conducted, wrote, and posted that interview.

The entire quote, not out of context was, "My job is to go as fast as I can to try to win the race, and that’s within my limits, but you’re always going to push your limits when you’re racing a little bit more than when you’re practicing, and I don’t want to put myself in a dangerous situation to possibly hinder my career any further."

First off, the question was about if he'd be at Anaheim racing. He said he might be cleared the Thursday before, but that he doesn't want to race until he's ready. Which means he wants to make sure he has the health, fitness, and ability to ride at the level he's accustomed to.

Secondly, only one of the three injuries even happened in a race.

The third paragraph is a reasonable position to have, I think. He even said himself that the crash happened because he wanted too much too early.

Dungey does crash. Remember San Francisco 2010? He has some big ones occasionally. But his riding style isn't like Trey's, either. Decoster won't change Trey's riding style, which is more aggressive - over the front of the bike - than Dungey's is. Trey has been balls out since way before he hit the pros, though...

Smile

Like I said, my issue with this is the idea that, for example, he scrubs too much, which I don't think is a reasonable position to have when you consider all of his injuries and what caused them. And secondly that his competitors also think he basically does stupid things for no gain.
easton
12/16/2011 6:03pm
Trey will never win a title and will only get injured year after year. He will follow in Heplers footsteps.
Nerd
12/16/2011 6:06pm
easton wrote:
Trey will never win a title and will only get injured year after year. He will follow in Heplers footsteps.
He'll never win a title, except for the two titles he has already won.

Exactly. Makes perfect sense.

The Shop

Nerd
12/16/2011 6:16pm
By the way, Bayo knows something that you guys haven't figured out, by the way, which is that the more discussion here, the better because this thread stays up top. It was almost at the bottom of the first page when I responded. I was the first responder.

This is only helping him get hits, and despite all of the nonsense in this thread from the usual suspects spewing idiotic nonsense about me, the discussion has been pretty good.

And Bauer's accusation was priceless. So that was worth the price of admission by itself.

Sticking to the facts, though, no one has come up with any way of justifying the idea that Trey is being hurt because of ultra-risky maneuvers. Probably because it's one of these things that FEELS like that, because we all see how hard he rides, but just isn't that in actuality, and sometimes people's gut feelings are just wrong.
Sherwood
12/16/2011 6:19pm Edited Date/Time 12/16/2011 6:20pm
2 of his femur breaks had what involved? Oh yeah scrubs.
Nerd
12/16/2011 6:25pm
Sherwood wrote:
Cause and effect, Farva. Only one was as a result of a scrub.
Sherwood
12/16/2011 6:27pm
Sherwood wrote:
Nerd wrote:
Cause and effect, Farva. Only one was as a result of a scrub.
Sure thing no spin zone.
12/16/2011 6:34pm
Nerd wrote:
I know what he said. I conducted, wrote, and posted that interview. The entire quote, not out of context was, "My job is to go as...
I know what he said. I conducted, wrote, and posted that interview.

The entire quote, not out of context was, "My job is to go as fast as I can to try to win the race, and that’s within my limits, but you’re always going to push your limits when you’re racing a little bit more than when you’re practicing, and I don’t want to put myself in a dangerous situation to possibly hinder my career any further."

First off, the question was about if he'd be at Anaheim racing. He said he might be cleared the Thursday before, but that he doesn't want to race until he's ready. Which means he wants to make sure he has the health, fitness, and ability to ride at the level he's accustomed to.

Secondly, only one of the three injuries even happened in a race.

The third paragraph is a reasonable position to have, I think. He even said himself that the crash happened because he wanted too much too early.

Dungey does crash. Remember San Francisco 2010? He has some big ones occasionally. But his riding style isn't like Trey's, either. Decoster won't change Trey's riding style, which is more aggressive - over the front of the bike - than Dungey's is. Trey has been balls out since way before he hit the pros, though...

Smile

Like I said, my issue with this is the idea that, for example, he scrubs too much, which I don't think is a reasonable position to have when you consider all of his injuries and what caused them. And secondly that his competitors also think he basically does stupid things for no gain.
Yeah, I figured you might've already made an exception on that specific crash, but I just kept going...I couldn't stop!

And I figured that was your interview, but the name Perez was being flung around and I became disoriented.

And I don't think I took his quote out of context. Or if I did it doesn't suddenly negate everything I said.

And I think Dungey's foot slipped off the peg in that San Fran crash--it was those damn newfangled Nike boots!

Besides all the scrub jib jab, though, you also said this: "I've never heard any other racers mention any "risky maneuvers" by Trey Canard at all. At least not since Canard took out RV for the 2008 Lites title."

Did he really take out Villopoto? Is that what most people think? This was probably discussed plenty at the time, but it looked to me like Trey had committed to his line before RV cased the final jump of the section, ruining his momentum and causing Trey to run into him in the turn. I guess it's the same issue with James landing on JT at Houston or wherever--people can see it however they want.
dboivin
12/16/2011 6:53pm
Matthes wrote:
This whole thing is dumb, Cox if you're going to accuse Bayo of lying so that he can make a point, then you should have some...
This whole thing is dumb, Cox if you're going to accuse Bayo of lying so that he can make a point, then you should have some proof.

Here's Trey's column from Racer X in his words describing his crash:

"I just went too fast up to it, I came off the top and scrubbed it but I over jumped it by two or three feet and landed in a braking bump. The way I landed was weird, it was with my front wheel turned and the pressure of it just blew the wheel apart."

Again, I don't care and don't have a side. All I know is it's too bad Trey's hurt again. And yes, I believe his scrubs are better than Stewart's. Especially since James switched to the Yamaha. But then again, there's no scrub-o-meter to determine who's right and who's wrong.
!!! thank you matthes!
mag23
12/16/2011 8:27pm
All I know, is Canard is the only guy I've seen jump frickin under Reed over the triples... maybe I'm blind, or don't pay attention, but Canard can scrub the shit out a cinder block. He just doesn't make scrubbing look so natural like Stewart does. I don't care who scrubs better, bummer to see Canard hurt.
ATKpilot99
12/16/2011 9:24pm
The scrub is a myth much like the seatbounce...It doesn't exist and defies the laws of physics.
fcr
12/16/2011 10:35pm
bayodome wrote:
It is an opinionated blog post that I do not expect everybody to agree with. Anyway, there are more posts to come and I hope you...
It is an opinionated blog post that I do not expect everybody to agree with. Anyway, there are more posts to come and I hope you keep reading.
Nice read Balto Smile
DC
12/17/2011 7:10am
I think both the Nerd's interview and Bayo's opinion piece were strong. I think Trey is just having a run of terrible luck, and I hope he can shake it. He's a wonderful athlete and a very inspirational person -- dare I say Tebow-like, with or without the spirituality.

DC
MX Sports
dcg141
12/17/2011 8:07pm
Liberals are not our friends.
elmo
12/17/2011 8:12pm
Congrats on the new gig, Bayo. I'm happy for you. Good read, too!
12/17/2011 9:05pm
easton wrote:
Nerd wrote:
He'll never win a title, except for the two titles he has already won.

Exactly. Makes perfect sense.
One point for Nerd......jus sayin'
SoCalMX70
12/17/2011 9:34pm Edited Date/Time 12/17/2011 9:51pm
I wish I could remember which Supercross it was where JAMES STEWART was in the booth and said himself that Trey does the best scrubs.... He might have been joking a bit (I really can't remember how he conveyed his words), but James himself said it.

EDIT: Ok I wasn't 100% right. James said "Trey does it better than anyone"... so maybe only half serious Wink

@ 4:05-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQYx-XzJLDA
WhKnuckle
12/18/2011 2:52am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
The scrub is a myth much like the seatbounce...It doesn't exist and defies the laws of physics.
If a scrub keeps the suspension compressed and lowers the "thrust" off the lip, it does something effective. If it does neither of those things - like when an average local rider does it - it is a myth that it lowers the glide path of the bike. Local riders don't scrub, they whip. And it's worth mentioning that you can do the same thing as a scrub by hitting the rear brake as the bike hits the lip. That's an old LaRocco (and others) technique that's not flashy but basically does the same thing - prevents the suspension from unloading and pushing the bike's CG up away from the jump, making the flight angle steeper; and cuts power to the rear wheel that's pushing the bike upward off the lip. That's what a proper scrub does, but it might be a safer and more controllable method.
12/18/2011 9:50am
DC wrote:
I think both the Nerd's interview and Bayo's opinion piece were strong. I think Trey is just having a run of terrible luck, and I hope...
I think both the Nerd's interview and Bayo's opinion piece were strong. I think Trey is just having a run of terrible luck, and I hope he can shake it. He's a wonderful athlete and a very inspirational person -- dare I say Tebow-like, with or without the spirituality.

DC
MX Sports
Why do so many say his crashes are about "luck"? Really? Unless someone else or the bike caused them, they are the result of mental errors made by Trey Canard.

His being a cool cat and all shouldn't lead people to minimize his mistakes.

I, and most everyone likes and pulls for TC, but come on, call a spade a spade. He needs to up his mental game in order to keep it on two wheels. Sheesh!
Husqerdo
12/18/2011 6:54pm
Trey lacks patience, plain and simple, be it a pass in a 180 corner on the first lap or a triple scrub, too aggressive at this stage in his YOUNG career with the best in the world. It is obvious to most (including many of the pro riders) he needs to change his approach. Name another potential top 5 rider who has had as many self inflicted injuries in as a short period of time. Some blame it on luck,. give me a friggen break.
dcg141
12/18/2011 7:13pm Edited Date/Time 12/18/2011 7:14pm
I had no idea that upper east side limosine liberals and evirowako nut jobs had so much interest in moto.
mom241
12/18/2011 8:19pm
Breaking News: Trey Canard to fire Timmy Ferry. Going to just get advice from Vital for free.
12/18/2011 11:44pm Edited Date/Time 12/18/2011 11:45pm
mom241 wrote:
Breaking News: Trey Canard to fire Timmy Ferry. Going to just get advice from Vital for free.
Ohh Ms. Fisherman, roll.

Name the band Mom!
rangot
12/19/2011 1:57am
Bauer wrote:
Nerd's jealousy over Bayo landing a big fish has him making an ass of himself trying to make this thread about him. Looky me, I'm Steve...
Nerd's jealousy over Bayo landing a big fish has him making an ass of himself trying to make this thread about him. Looky me, I'm Steve Cox! Never was and wanna be, so let's argue about something!

Great job, Bayo, and congrats on a notch in your mainstream belt. Keep 'em coming!
Spot on!!!
rocrac
12/19/2011 4:18am
mom241 wrote:
Har....perfect

Post a reply to: Moto on the Huffington Post

The Latest