Moto Looks Healthy

Reggsie
Edited Date/Time 4/5/2016 6:42am
Since there's been so much chatter lately about how the sport is apparently dying, I though I'd share something positive. Weekend before last was the last practice day before the season started at my local club. Obviously, you would expect there to be more people than usual at the last chance to see the track before the first race, but we were blown away by the sheer numbers that turned out! In the lites class, there were full gates of A, B and C, whereas usually they cram A and B together. Not only that, people ended up getting turned away because there were simply too many riders. I have literally never seen that before. While it sucks for the people who got turned away, it really goes to show just how many turned up.

But wait, there's more!

Last weekend was the first race. I figured I'd save this topic till after the race to get a comparo between it and the practice day to see if it was a one off or a trend. Well, we weren't dissapointed. The pits were packed and while I don't know precisely the entry numbers, I would have to say it was by far the busiest race day I've ever been to. Even though it was the first race of the season, where you expect more entrants, it still kicked the hell out of the year before and the year before that. We also had the mayor and some local councilors out to open the track, and they had some great things to say about the club and the sport in general. Great to see officials praising motocross for a change rather than looking for ways to shut it down.

Sorry for the novel, but I figured this board needed a little positivity. I don't know what it's like over in the states, but down here moto seems healthier than in the past - apart from used bike prices which are through the floor...

I know this anecdote isn't exactly scientific, but it was encouraging anyway. Anyone else out there got some positive stories about the health of the sport?
|
VET176
3/3/2016 3:03am
Mate I love your enthusiasm. But really how many tracks does your average Brisbane racer have to choose from?

I feel the increased numbers at your local track are due to lack of riding areas.

Could be wrong. Unsure

3/3/2016 3:11am
There definitely wasn't a lack of people in Atlanta last weekend! Even the nose bleeds were packed!
wwoberg
3/3/2016 3:36am
There definitely wasn't a lack of people in Atlanta last weekend! Even the nose bleeds were packed!
I was there and have to respectfully disagree. The upper level was less than 50% full. Far less people than in the past.
B-EVANS
3/3/2016 5:22am
Texas Winter Series had 800+ entries at most rounds and the smallest turnout was 600+ at the last round. Didn't seem dead down there

The Shop

Starcrossed
3/3/2016 7:31am
I'm looking forward to the NESC season opener at The Wick. With the national event returning, and hopefully some decent weather, I'm guessing there will be a healthy turnout.

On another note, has anybody viewed the TV ratings for last week, and how do they compare to prior weeks, and/or last year's Atlanta events?
3/3/2016 7:38am
It was obvious on TV that that wasn't true, especially on the ends of the stadium.
Moto810
3/3/2016 8:24am Edited Date/Time 3/3/2016 8:55am
The health of the sport can be a bit confusing to people. If you listen to the leaders of the pro racing they will tell you "it has never been better" because we have tv coverage. However, if a few riders show up for Pro racing and attempt to make it into the main event does that now mean we have a growing sport? If the sport is so healthy then why are bike sales still so low compared to many years ago? If the sport is so healthy then why are many tracks in the USA saying their turnout is less than half of what it used to be?

So in short some people say it is healthy and others say it is not. I think Pro racing is only looking out for themselves and they do not care about the sport in general. One day the sport will be like Nascar and you can only watch it and not participate in it. We are seeing less and less true privateers already because the cost, rules, and travel is just two high for the average Joe.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
3/3/2016 9:29am
Here in So Cal the tracks aren't getting nearly what they did back around 05-07. Back then you had 4 different races going on each Sunday and each race had 350+ racers. 08/09 that completely changed. Now you have one series that gets about 250-300 and the rest are suffering. Others have shut their clubs down. Idk how it is in other areas of the country but that's how it is here.
Uncle Tony
3/3/2016 9:38am
NESC the same first few races packed, by the time we get to hemonds falls way off, second half weak until the last few races at the end of the season
Moto810
3/3/2016 9:45am
The grass roots part of the sport has changed so much over the years. The main people who lead the sport has lead it in the direction of those big events like LL and Mini O's. Much more focused on getting kids to give up school and getting parents to do anything it takes to help the kid become a pro. The sport used to be more about fun, racing, riding, and good friends. The costs are now out of site for the average rider.

Here is an example of something that makes no sense: Race day (NO REFUNDS?) Last year I signed up 4 weeks before a big race and then had to deal with an emergency that came up and could not go to the race. 4 days before the race I contacted the track to inform them I could not attend. I asked if my money could be put towards my next race and they said "NO REFUNDS"!

How is the good business? How does it make sense? I did not use any of their services at all! Now with me it is not a big deal. But how many people would never go race there again? How many people have lost money because their bike broke on the practice lap and they never got to race that day?

This is not like a hotel reservation. The track did not hold a spot for me on that race day. If the sport wants to bring riders back for race day they need to become more educated in how to run a business. They are only shooting themselves in the foot!
MMCDan
3/3/2016 9:47am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Here in So Cal the tracks aren't getting nearly what they did back around 05-07. Back then you had 4 different races going on each Sunday...
Here in So Cal the tracks aren't getting nearly what they did back around 05-07. Back then you had 4 different races going on each Sunday and each race had 350+ racers. 08/09 that completely changed. Now you have one series that gets about 250-300 and the rest are suffering. Others have shut their clubs down. Idk how it is in other areas of the country but that's how it is here.
Agreed. You're out of luck unless you want to race TWMX (or one of their various other derivatives), old timers or LL/Mammoth qualifiers. It seems like Trans World killed off most of the other series/clubs and it's a shame because that's where we had the most fun racing.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
3/3/2016 10:04am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Here in So Cal the tracks aren't getting nearly what they did back around 05-07. Back then you had 4 different races going on each Sunday...
MMCDan wrote:
Agreed. You're out of luck unless you want to race TWMX (or one of their various other derivatives), old timers or LL/Mammoth qualifiers. It seems like...
Agreed. You're out of luck unless you want to race TWMX (or one of their various other derivatives), old timers or LL/Mammoth qualifiers. It seems like Trans World killed off most of the other series/clubs and it's a shame because that's where we had the most fun racing.
It's hard for other clubs to compete with TWMX. Kids get stoked because their pictures end up on twmx.com and man, I gotta tell you guys, they run their races really really well. They get big turn outs, in today's standards, they run two tracks and you get out of there before it gets dark. We got shirts just for turning in our transponders at the end of the day. My brother-in-laws transponder fell off during a crash and they needed a $200 deposit for it, but because it was his first time with them, they gave him 2 shirts and $150 worth of race entries in case they didn't find it. Well, they ended up finding it so they shredded the $200 deposit check and cancelled the $150 credit and let him keep the shirts. I can't remember another club doing anything like that for anyone. Because of how they handled everything and how understanding they were, he can't wait to race with them again. I raced with them for the first time that same day and everything was so smooth. I've never been to a race that was run that nicely.
Moto810
3/3/2016 10:13am
Your comments are correct about TWMX. I think they do try to run a good event and they make changes when needed.
jtiger12
3/3/2016 10:19am
wwoberg wrote:
I was there and have to respectfully disagree. The upper level was less than 50% full. Far less people than in the past.
concur. I have been going to ATL for the last 15 years, and that was one of the lower turnouts. Lots of room in the nosebleeds, my wife pointed out how empty it was before I had even noticed myself.
Uncle Tony
3/3/2016 10:19am
Moto810 wrote:
The grass roots part of the sport has changed so much over the years. The main people who lead the sport has lead it in the...
The grass roots part of the sport has changed so much over the years. The main people who lead the sport has lead it in the direction of those big events like LL and Mini O's. Much more focused on getting kids to give up school and getting parents to do anything it takes to help the kid become a pro. The sport used to be more about fun, racing, riding, and good friends. The costs are now out of site for the average rider.

Here is an example of something that makes no sense: Race day (NO REFUNDS?) Last year I signed up 4 weeks before a big race and then had to deal with an emergency that came up and could not go to the race. 4 days before the race I contacted the track to inform them I could not attend. I asked if my money could be put towards my next race and they said "NO REFUNDS"!

How is the good business? How does it make sense? I did not use any of their services at all! Now with me it is not a big deal. But how many people would never go race there again? How many people have lost money because their bike broke on the practice lap and they never got to race that day?

This is not like a hotel reservation. The track did not hold a spot for me on that race day. If the sport wants to bring riders back for race day they need to become more educated in how to run a business. They are only shooting themselves in the foot!
Greed that's what it boils down too, last year in New England we had 3 different tracks running on the same weekend, you would think they would work together and all make a lot of money but no, instead average turnouts at 3 tracks

Also that whole LL thing has got mini dads everywhere losing their minds, way to many classes cutting into track time so it forces you to run more then 2 classes, as I said in another post its all about money, I seen 3 families go under here on Long Island chasing the LL dream, insanity, yes I know you can't blame LL for crazed mini dads losing their shirts but like you said moto810 you almost have to go that route now

Here's proof riders want track time, look at J-DAYs in New England great turnouts two thirty minute motos, but it is a mix of MX and hare scrambles, while the full moto clubs are struggling, the cool down series at capeway rovers was pulling 150 riders at best, school boy, college boy, 25 plus classes modified, stock classes, 6 different 50cc classes, money grabs, how about stream lining the classes and give the MX riders some track time to get riders back to grass roots racing, some people can only afford to race one class, a 12 hour day for 8 laps, I wouldn't go racing either

Oh and the industry and the sport of MX are two different things
Moto810
3/3/2016 10:39am
You said it! Who wants a 12hr day to run 8 or 10 laps? I have always been amazed that local tracks don't get together and agree not to race on the same dates. If they want to make their area's rider base stronger tracks should start taking a different approach to running their events.
BobbyM
3/3/2016 10:41am
Reggsie wrote:
Since there's been so much chatter lately about how the sport is apparently dying, I though I'd share something positive. Weekend before last was the last...
Since there's been so much chatter lately about how the sport is apparently dying, I though I'd share something positive. Weekend before last was the last practice day before the season started at my local club. Obviously, you would expect there to be more people than usual at the last chance to see the track before the first race, but we were blown away by the sheer numbers that turned out! In the lites class, there were full gates of A, B and C, whereas usually they cram A and B together. Not only that, people ended up getting turned away because there were simply too many riders. I have literally never seen that before. While it sucks for the people who got turned away, it really goes to show just how many turned up.

But wait, there's more!

Last weekend was the first race. I figured I'd save this topic till after the race to get a comparo between it and the practice day to see if it was a one off or a trend. Well, we weren't dissapointed. The pits were packed and while I don't know precisely the entry numbers, I would have to say it was by far the busiest race day I've ever been to. Even though it was the first race of the season, where you expect more entrants, it still kicked the hell out of the year before and the year before that. We also had the mayor and some local councilors out to open the track, and they had some great things to say about the club and the sport in general. Great to see officials praising motocross for a change rather than looking for ways to shut it down.

Sorry for the novel, but I figured this board needed a little positivity. I don't know what it's like over in the states, but down here moto seems healthier than in the past - apart from used bike prices which are through the floor...

I know this anecdote isn't exactly scientific, but it was encouraging anyway. Anyone else out there got some positive stories about the health of the sport?
Right on hope it keeps going
Skerby
3/3/2016 12:04pm
Reason I stopped racing: too many classes.

I remember tracks running 4 different B classes on days with only 5 B riders in attendance. Should run A B and C big bikes. Maybe open and 250 for bigger races, and run a D class intermission winner take all big money beginner class, i would pay to watch that.
Skerby
3/3/2016 12:12pm
Everyone was totally ok with the whole more classes than racers thing, "this is how lorettas does it". No one ever went to lorettas.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
3/3/2016 12:19pm
Skerby wrote:
Reason I stopped racing: too many classes. I remember tracks running 4 different B classes on days with only 5 B riders in attendance. Should run...
Reason I stopped racing: too many classes.

I remember tracks running 4 different B classes on days with only 5 B riders in attendance. Should run A B and C big bikes. Maybe open and 250 for bigger races, and run a D class intermission winner take all big money beginner class, i would pay to watch that.
Hahahaha yup I'd pay to watch the beginners race for money. That would be the most entertaining race. Except you'd have to weed out sand baggers
Flesh206
3/3/2016 12:39pm
In my neck of the woods moto looked a tad stale for a good 5 years. Now a number of practice tracks have opened up and things have been upward rather quickly. Also, a practice track that has remained closed for near 15 years is opening 15mins from my house back up. Moto is strong in NW Ohio, SE Michigan and the entire tristate area with Indiana.
nrosso391
Fantasy
2824th
3/3/2016 1:05pm
Would many of you guys agree that the greed of the Manufacturers of motocross are what's killing the sport?
Bikes priced between $7000-$10000....way to high
Exhaust systems for those bikes $1000+

I'll go ahead and say it "FOUR STROKES BANKRUPT THE MOTO INDUSTRY"

That's when I started to see that major jump in bike and accessory prices dramatically.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
3/3/2016 1:39pm
nrosso391 wrote:
Would many of you guys agree that the greed of the Manufacturers of motocross are what's killing the sport? Bikes priced between $7000-$10000....way to high Exhaust...
Would many of you guys agree that the greed of the Manufacturers of motocross are what's killing the sport?
Bikes priced between $7000-$10000....way to high
Exhaust systems for those bikes $1000+

I'll go ahead and say it "FOUR STROKES BANKRUPT THE MOTO INDUSTRY"

That's when I started to see that major jump in bike and accessory prices dramatically.
Probably an unpopular opinion, but I feel the same way. I remember my dad getting brand new kx250s for 5200 otd, I bought my 14 YZ450 in July 2013 and it was $9200 otd. A $4000 jump? That's huge!! Plus think about the guys doing suspension, another $1000 usually, plus $1000 for a pipe unless you choose dual for a Honda which is what? $1500 now? Plus $100 per tire now. It's ridiculous!
Moto810
3/3/2016 1:53pm
Yes I would agree that pricing is one of the main issues here. In a few years the price of bikes has increased a ton but the parts also are a big deal and the maintenance. A two stroke pipe used to cost $200 and now a pipe is closer to a $1000. It changes things when prices for a race ready bike increases from $5000 to $10,000 plus.
Reggsie
3/3/2016 2:23pm
VET176 wrote:
Mate I love your enthusiasm. But really how many tracks does your average Brisbane racer have to choose from? I feel the increased numbers at your...
Mate I love your enthusiasm. But really how many tracks does your average Brisbane racer have to choose from?

I feel the increased numbers at your local track are due to lack of riding areas.

Could be wrong. Unsure

You know you'd actually be surprised, I was thinking about this recently and I realised we actually have a great selection of tracks around here. There are at least 8 parks within 2 and a half hours of Brisbane that I know of: QMP, Toowoomba, Stanmore, hayworth, motocross mountain, coolum, parklands and Warwick. There could be more I'm not sure. Some of those tracks are pretty ordinary but some are great.

That's another good point actually, a lot of people went to Toowoomba for the race there instead and yet it was still packed
3/3/2016 5:33pm
Moto810 wrote:
You said it! Who wants a 12hr day to run 8 or 10 laps? I have always been amazed that local tracks don't get together and...
You said it! Who wants a 12hr day to run 8 or 10 laps? I have always been amazed that local tracks don't get together and agree not to race on the same dates. If they want to make their area's rider base stronger tracks should start taking a different approach to running their events.
Thats why I gave up on racing moto years ago, not enough track time. Now only do practice days, GP's and Hare/GNCC.
jtiger12
3/3/2016 5:37pm
My left over 07 crf450 was 4300 otd. Inflation. Weak dollar. 2 strokes will help a little, not that much
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
3/3/2016 6:21pm
Moto looks healthy for those who run the sport, top racers, manufacturer's and those that produce aftermarket parts.

As others are saying, I fully expect that moto will get to the point where you have to be wealthy to race and make it to the pros. Will surely always be entertaining, but not always healthy. I think to be healthy you have to look at the sport as a whole, not just the vital parts (manufacturer's, pro racing, and after market parts).
Moto810
4/4/2016 12:48pm
mx 219 wrote:
Moto looks healthy for those who run the sport, top racers, manufacturer's and those that produce aftermarket parts. As others are saying, I fully expect that...
Moto looks healthy for those who run the sport, top racers, manufacturer's and those that produce aftermarket parts.

As others are saying, I fully expect that moto will get to the point where you have to be wealthy to race and make it to the pros. Will surely always be entertaining, but not always healthy. I think to be healthy you have to look at the sport as a whole, not just the vital parts (manufacturer's, pro racing, and after market parts).
Yeah what he said!

I see the sport as two separate sports now. Pro motocross and all the rest of us! Everyone at the local tracks should take back their sport. The local moto scene is the area that is falling apart. Local tracks and promotors need to stop doing what LL or any other big national event is doing and just do their own thing!

To many classes and not enough seat time hurts local events!

Post a reply to: Moto Looks Healthy

The Latest