Moto Aust Ban Helmet Cams In All Racing

tobz
http://www.ma.org.au/index.php?id=12&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=16470&cHash…

I understand the bullish tactics of gopro where they control the monopoly at a pro event. But what on earth would cause a controlling body to ban any type of helmet cam in all forms of racing?

It used to be fun to go through a bit of footage at the end of the day's racing.. . Nanny country indeed Angry
|
mayzo
2/6/2017 4:02am
It won't be long before they ban racing as someone may crash and hurt themselves or everyone gets a trophy just because they entered a race
aees
2/6/2017 5:14am
Head/neck trauma due to camera changing the dynamics of hoe helmet behave in a crash.

That and media rights is the two top reasons.
2/6/2017 6:23am
I've heard about helmet cams being banned before due to safety concerns with it affecting the helmets performance. Chest cams are still allowed though so I don't see the problem, you can still record your ride they're just making it safer.
ayearinmx
2/6/2017 6:27am
i also found out you can't ride a jet-ski in Australia without a licence.... and if you do, it affects your car driving licence

so this kinda doesn't surprise me

The Shop

Bearuno
2/6/2017 6:28am Edited Date/Time 2/6/2017 6:33am
If it's just the removal of the things from the Helmet, I'm in favour of it. And that's what the rule reads as - No Cameras or mounts on the helmet, among other things.

If you have to have a record of your ride / a company want's footage, well, get it from a well mounted chest / body camera, or on bike camera.
2/6/2017 6:31am
Bearuno wrote:
If it's [u]just [/u] the removal of the things from the Helmet, I'm in favour of it. And that's what the rule reads as - No...
If it's just the removal of the things from the Helmet, I'm in favour of it. And that's what the rule reads as - No Cameras or mounts on the helmet, among other things.

If you have to have a record of your ride / a company want's footage, well, get it from a well mounted chest / body camera, or on bike camera.
Exactly, I have a chest mount for my go pro and it gives great footage without me having to risk a head injury for it.
Motofinne
2/6/2017 6:48am Edited Date/Time 2/6/2017 8:12am
I think it is a "good" thing to ban helmet cams in our sport. For safety reasons.

The Finnish motorcycle association banned helmet cams and extra lighting on the helmets in Enduro racing for 2017. The helmet cam or extra lighting can only be placed on the visor not on the shell of the helmet.

Things can go wrong very quickly if you crash and have a go pro or something similar attached to the actual shell of the helmet. Want to record footage when you ride? Use a chest mount or handlebar mount. Or the helmet visor.
ayearinmx
2/6/2017 7:02am
Motofinne wrote:
I think it is a "good" thing to ban helmet cams in our sport. For safety reasons. The Finnish motorcycle association banned helmet cams and extra...
I think it is a "good" thing to ban helmet cams in our sport. For safety reasons.

The Finnish motorcycle association banned helmet cams and extra lighting on the helmets in Enduro racing for 2017. The helmet cam or extra lighting can only be placed on the visor not on the shell of the helmet.

Things can go wrong very quickly if you crash and have a go pro or something similar attached to the actual shell of the helmet. Want to record footage when you ride? Use a chest mount or handlebar mount. Or the helmet visor.
got any actual proof of any of this? one solid scrap of evidence?

and i'd really like to see what your chest cavity looks like if you landed square on with a supposedly safe chesty mount.... because i doubt that'd be too pretty!
omalley
2/6/2017 7:11am
I have a hard time believing that a GoPro, mounted on a flimsy swivel base, would affect a helmet and/or its mechanics one iota. That hinge is going to swivel, followed by the base and/or adhesive snapping off.

My opinion is (a) TV rights and/or (b) typical nanny state mentality.
gt80rider
2/6/2017 7:18am
Two words... Michael Schumacher... remember GoPro's stock crash after his incident?
hvaughn88
2/6/2017 7:21am
I let ya'll argue on the safety aspect. I just simply hate the footage from helmet mounts
Motofinne
2/6/2017 7:22am Edited Date/Time 2/6/2017 7:28am
Motofinne wrote:
I think it is a "good" thing to ban helmet cams in our sport. For safety reasons. The Finnish motorcycle association banned helmet cams and extra...

ayearinmx wrote:
got any actual proof of any of this? one solid scrap of evidence? and i'd really like to see what your chest cavity looks like if...

and i'd really like to see what your chest cavity looks like if you landed square on with a supposedly safe chesty mount.... because i doubt that'd be too pretty!
Lets put it this way.

A round helmet without any edges(Arai) will be more safe than a helmet with sharp edges(Shoei) because of obvious reasons(physics).

Why do you think Fox have a magnetic visor for the upcoming model? And other helmet brands have visor screws that are supposed to break if you crash.
ayearinmx
2/6/2017 7:40am
Motofinne wrote:

ayearinmx wrote:
got any actual proof of any of this? one solid scrap of evidence? and i'd really like to see what your chest cavity looks like if...

Motofinne wrote:
Lets put it this way. A round helmet without any edges(Arai) will be more safe than a helmet with sharp edges(Shoei) because of obvious reasons(physics). Why...
Lets put it this way.

A round helmet without any edges(Arai) will be more safe than a helmet with sharp edges(Shoei) because of obvious reasons(physics).

Why do you think Fox have a magnetic visor for the upcoming model? And other helmet brands have visor screws that are supposed to break if you crash.
so no evidence then....just opinion, hearsay and anecdotes

the burden of proof SHOULD be on the authorities to prove that these things aren't safe, not just tell us they aren't safe and try and make the companies prove them wrong

one minutes of google searching and i came across a gopro video of someone using a chesty mount and crashing and breaking his ribs...... should we ban them too now?
Motofinne
2/6/2017 7:43am Edited Date/Time 2/6/2017 8:04am
What ever. Anyone with any kind of basic knowledge of impacts and friction would understand that a helmet cam on a helmet is a risk.

Take a look at this: https://youtu.be/oBDTCSoi47E?t=528

Now put a helmet camera mount on it and do the same test. The result will be different.
Now put a helmet camera on the actual mount and do the test. The result will be way different, the values will skyrocket.

I don't know what to say to you if you don't understand that.
Zaugg
2/6/2017 7:46am
That little mount can make a huge difference to the point where many road racing circuits won't let you wear cameras on your helmet. Their property...their rules.

I believe if you search for helmet shape and safety you'll probably find that sharp edges and pointy things coming off the helmet might exaggerate head trauma.

aees
2/6/2017 8:04am
Read the article by BBC i posted. The typical "weak" camera mounts actually lessens the impact since it absorbs energy.

Of course there is corner cases that increases the risk, but, that risk could be negligent. It could actually be that the risk of getting hurt without a mount is higher due to the camera not absorbing some energy. If you then add the risk of getting hurt with a mount (corner cases), the total risk number goes down.

So it is not as easy as saying "camera on helmet, bad thing"....

Of course if you drill holes, use aluminum mounts and other stupid shit, risk increases.
JM485
2/6/2017 8:05am
Even if for some reason that little plastic mount did cause more head trauma (I'm not at all convinced of this btw), why is it up to them to decide what's best for everyone? If someone wants to run a camera that effects them and only them, there is no threat to anyone else's safety so why wouldn't that be a personal choice? For the amount of crashes where this could potentially come into play, this seems like a huge overreaction with very little research to back it up. I mount my gopro under my visor since it gives a lot better video, chest mounts give terrible videos and I don't even watch them to be honest.
mx216
2/6/2017 8:08am
Sounds like Henny Penny is running the show... oh no, get to cover!!!!
Mini Elsinore
2/6/2017 8:08am
For a laid back, independent lot, the Aussies seem to have allowed their government to become a bit tyranical. But then, governments are prone to such...
kott0n
Fantasy
3779th
2/6/2017 8:42am
For a laid back, independent lot, the Aussies seem to have allowed their government to become a bit tyranical. But then, governments are prone to such...
I'll just leave this here... Huntington Beach, CA

=)
APLMAN99
2/6/2017 8:48am
Motofinne wrote:

ayearinmx wrote:

Not quite moto, but similar concept I think.

One of my college roommates was paralyzed playing football. The doctors at the time thought that what may have ultimately caused his injury was the top mounting hardware for his face mask digging into the turf and stopping while his body continued forward, damaging his spinal cord.

Not sure if this is part of their reasoning, as it's a very rare occurrence and I don't think that a GoPro mount is quite as much of a "pivot" risk as this would be.
Mini Elsinore
2/6/2017 9:30am Edited Date/Time 2/6/2017 9:31am
kott0n wrote:

=)
I haven't been cited for running a Sena helmet cam yet, so there's that...

kott0n
Fantasy
3779th
2/6/2017 11:46am
kott0n wrote:

=)

Your state govn defines tyranny, big guy.

Yes, please stay.
kkawboy14
2/6/2017 11:50am
Some of the coolest footage is from a GoPro on the rear fender looking backwards
APLMAN99
2/6/2017 11:56am
kott0n wrote:

=)

kott0n wrote:

Yes, please stay.
Holy crap, does everything have to turn into a political pissing match?

California elects their mayors, city councils, county commissioners, representatives, governor, etc. just like the rest of us do. If they aren't representing the wishes of the constituency, they get voted out. They have as much "democracy" as the rest of us.

People who cry tyranny like that have no concept of true tyranny..........
Skidaddle
2/6/2017 12:14pm
Motofinne wrote:
Lets put it this way. A round helmet without any edges(Arai) will be more safe than a helmet with sharp edges(Shoei) because of obvious reasons(physics). Why...
Lets put it this way.

Ive said that before. And got hammered. A round shell is less likely to snag and grab the helmet and twist the head and neck when hitting the ground.

That said, I ran lipstick cams way back in the middle 90s attached with velcro. Never really thought about it.

I think the current ones "Could" cause a problem, and they do have some leverage being up high, but I never really worried about mine.

BTW, I run the 70 dollar versions of the GP's because I've had limbs tear mine off and didn't know it. Still HD.

Mini Elsinore
2/6/2017 12:29pm
kott0n wrote:

=)

kott0n wrote:

Yes, please stay.
CA sucks from a political standpoint. On this we agree, Kimosabe.

Post a reply to: Moto Aust Ban Helmet Cams In All Racing

The Latest