Monte McCoy

friday10
11/12/2011 3:39pm Edited Date/Time 8/3/2019 10:59am
Heard from a friend that Monte pasesd today while out riding in Florida. RIP Monte
|
mx317
11/12/2011 3:46pm
Crash or natural causes? The first time I saw Monte ride was at Homosassa Springs (Chicken Farm MX) and he was jumping out of the pit and flying so high he would slap the tree limbs beside the track. RIP
friday10
11/12/2011 3:50pm
mx317 wrote:
Crash or natural causes? The first time I saw Monte ride was at Homosassa Springs (Chicken Farm MX) and he was jumping out of the pit...
Crash or natural causes? The first time I saw Monte ride was at Homosassa Springs (Chicken Farm MX) and he was jumping out of the pit and flying so high he would slap the tree limbs beside the track. RIP
From what I was told,it did not appear to be crash related.
flarider
11/12/2011 4:39pm
Grew up idolizing him.
First guy I know of to ever do, least that I saw, a turn-down flat whip...this was mid-70's

Bummer

RIP
jeff-181
11/12/2011 7:58pm
I was with him today there an I would like to ask that the writers refrain from making statements that may not be true as we do not know the official cause of death at this time. We will have it shortly and will let everyone know, as I ask that we give him the respect that he deserve’s and we have reason to believe that that some sort of natural causes may have caused him to crash after the fact.
I will let you one thing for sure, when we realized he was down he was still attached to the bike, knees around the tank and the bike was still running, so as always he was still riding it all the way to heaven.

His best friend
Jeff

The Shop

RaceFace
11/12/2011 8:08pm
jeff-181 wrote:
I was with him today there an I would like to ask that the writers refrain from making statements that may not be true as we...
I was with him today there an I would like to ask that the writers refrain from making statements that may not be true as we do not know the official cause of death at this time. We will have it shortly and will let everyone know, as I ask that we give him the respect that he deserve’s and we have reason to believe that that some sort of natural causes may have caused him to crash after the fact.
I will let you one thing for sure, when we realized he was down he was still attached to the bike, knees around the tank and the bike was still running, so as always he was still riding it all the way to heaven.

His best friend
Jeff
Sorry for the loss of your friend and condolences to all of his friends and family.
Wolfman
11/12/2011 8:51pm
So sorry to read about the loss of this man. May peace be with Monte, his friends and his family.
Highsider
11/13/2011 5:41am Edited Date/Time 11/13/2011 5:05pm
jeff-181 wrote:
I was with him today there an I would like to ask that the writers refrain from making statements that may not be true as we...

His best friend
Jeff
Nicely written.
A couple of years back, flying out of the MXdN in Denver, Monte was in the security line with my oldest and they chatted about motocross.
Said he was very nice and fun to talk to.
"I will let you one thing for sure, when we realized he was down he was still attached to the bike, knees around the tank and the bike was still running, so as always he was still riding it all the way to heaven."
This is how I want to go.
RIP
11/13/2011 5:56am
Looking at this photo, three of the four riders depicted are sadly no longer with us. Rich, Gaylon ,and Monte.

Godspeed, Monte. You were a hero to many of us here in the 70's as young ,aspiring Florida MX riders.

My thoughts are with his family and friends.

JulianJ
11/13/2011 6:16am
So sad to hear about Monte, he was fun to watch back in the 70's, not many riders had a part of a track named after him...McCoy's mountain was always a challenge at sunshiine speedway. RIP Monte!

I also read where Joey Gratton died friday racing his offshore powerboat in Key West, sad weekend for the MX family here in florida.
Jakes Dad
11/13/2011 6:38am
jeff-181 wrote:

His best friend
Jeff
I always admire you guys always cheerful and friendly wherever we see you.
It's kinda good Jake left before Monte went down, after his scare there last weekend.

What was Monte's preferred beverage I'll bring it out there next time to raise a glass in his honor.
11/13/2011 7:46am
I am shocked and sad from this, i knew Monte since i was a kid, as his house was just down the block, from my middle school, when i started racing he would give me tips to help me, i was friends with Monte on Facebook, and 2-3 months ago he invited me down to go riding with him, and i promised next trip down we would stop by his house.

Condolances to Family and Friends,,,Sad
DEMON_CR
11/13/2011 9:15am
jeff-181

Rudy called me 1st thing this morning,I am deeply sadden by his passing

.I do once again thank you and Monte for helping me when I was down at Sunshine.

Volpe #95
WFO72
11/13/2011 7:26pm Edited Date/Time 11/13/2011 7:29pm
R.I.P. my old friend Monte. Spoke with him a couple weeks back and one never knows how many berms are left ahead for us. My thoughts to his daughter who he was so proud of. I too hope to go with my hand on the throttle. Will be heading down to my home town to pay my condolences once arrangements are known. Ride on my friend,you will be greatly missed. Ed Garlin #72
jeff-181
11/14/2011 11:00am Edited Date/Time 11/14/2011 11:00am
I would like to thank all of you for the support that you have offered to us while we go thru this difficult time, and I would like to let you know of something that Buzzy and I are doing in his honor.

We have started building a website for him that has the basics up there right now in a effort to help everyone know about the memorial services time and place.

That site is http://www.montemccoy.net

We will be adding features which will include your ability to post and leave comments and donations so his daughter can finish her last year at college which was his biggest sense of pride along with his passion for motorcycles.

We will be updating that site with more info of his life in the
up coming weeks and months so keep checking back and let me know your stories and thoughts as we develop the posting features for all of you to use.

His Best Friend
Jeff
jeff-181
11/16/2011 2:42pm Edited Date/Time 11/16/2011 2:43pm
We have posted the official cause of death for Monte at the following location

http://www.montemccoy.net/cause.html

so everyone can have closure as to the cause of death.

His Best Friend
Jeff
Jakes Dad
11/16/2011 6:43pm
From what our friends saw I felt pretty sure this is what happened. And immediately after that thought was damn what a way to go!
11/18/2011 10:24pm
I am so sorry to hear of Monte's passing. I met him in 1971, I was 12 years old and he lived around the corner from my house he had a Hodaka ace 100cc bike and I thought he was one of the coolest guys I have ever met. I raced a little from 1973 to 1978 and always looked forward to seeing him race. I was blown away with the style his and speed that he raced with. I remember he was always laughing and having fun. Anyone who knew Monte knows what as special guy he was. R.I.P. Monte
teggers
9/25/2015 1:00am
I just stumbled across this with a google search of something else....... so sorry. i got hospitalized from "McCoys Mountain".

The web links are dead......What was the cuase?

"We have posted the official cause of death for Monte at the following location

so everyone can have closure as to the cause of death. "
egg449
9/25/2015 1:49am Edited Date/Time 9/25/2015 1:55am
teggers wrote:
I just stumbled across this with a google search of something else....... so sorry. i got hospitalized from "McCoys Mountain". The web links are dead......What was...
I just stumbled across this with a google search of something else....... so sorry. i got hospitalized from "McCoys Mountain".

The web links are dead......What was the cuase?

"We have posted the official cause of death for Monte at the following location

so everyone can have closure as to the cause of death. "
It's mentioned towards the end of this old article:
http://www.tampabay.com/news/obituaries/florida-motocross-legend-monte-…
8/3/2019 4:39am
mx317 wrote:
Crash or natural causes? The first time I saw Monte ride was at Homosassa Springs (Chicken Farm MX) and he was jumping out of the pit...
Chicken farm? Wow, I haven't heard that track in years, and yes he used to reach out to the trees
kpiper
8/3/2019 11:08am
Monte was legendary in Florida. Jumping his bike into the stands at the Coliseum was like a mythical tale. McCoy's Mountain at St Pete.

And Chicken Farm was a great sand track. Whoops the whole track with the one big sky jump into the pines.
8/3/2019 9:29pm
kpiper wrote:
Monte was legendary in Florida. Jumping his bike into the stands at the Coliseum was like a mythical tale. McCoy's Mountain at St Pete. And Chicken...
Monte was legendary in Florida. Jumping his bike into the stands at the Coliseum was like a mythical tale. McCoy's Mountain at St Pete.

And Chicken Farm was a great sand track. Whoops the whole track with the one big sky jump into the pines.
Yes. I believe he was not allowed to race the rest of the night.

Post a reply to: Monte McCoy

The Latest