Monster Energy Cup Track Design Revealed

PR
Edited Date/Time 8/13/2014 10:39am
Track Map

Feld Motor Sports® today unveiled the 2014 Monster Energy Cup track design that is inspired by five time Monster Energy Supercross Champion Ricky Carmichael. The Monster Energy Cup will be held at Las Vegas’ Sam Boyd Stadium on Saturday, October 18, and will feature the world’s top riders.

The uniquely designed Monster Energy Cup hybrid track incorporates highly technical elements from both supercross and motocross through the use of over 10,000 cubic yards of dirt. The vision was to challenge the world’s best racers by amplifying traditional track features seen in supercross and motocross. Taking off from the longest start in supercross history, the riders will leave the gate on an inclined start before they split apart and race into the 180 degree bowl turns. This unique start will be 200 yards in length and will demand speeds that will exceed 70 miles per hour.

“This year’s track design is unlike anything I have ever seen in my career,” said Carmichael. “It’s definitely going to be exciting and challenging for everyone. We started with a great foundation and have an epic final product.”

“Just when you think the Monster Energy Cup track design couldn’t get any more interesting, [Ricky] Carmichael finds a way to make it even more challenging,” said Ryan Dungey. “The track requires the perfect blend of persistence and aggressiveness. Bike setup is also key on this track. And you can’t forget about the Joker Lane, which can be your worst enemy, especially if you forget to go through it.”

Racers will also be treated to a massive sand roller section, a technical rhythm lane and the devious joker lane, which will be longer than what the racers are used to. Additionally, the Monster Energy Cup track will feature the AMSOIL Arch, which is a large, 150’ sweeper turn so massive that it will extend into the grandstands.

“It will be cool to see these guys take the AMSOIL Arch and then come down into massive sand rollers,” added Carmichael. “These sections require a lot of technical maneuvering, so the racers definitely need to be prepared both mentally and physically.”

The Monster Energy Cup posts a $250,000 purse with the winner walking away with a $100,000 check, and any rider that wins all three Main Events will take home $1 million.
|
SEE ARE125
8/12/2014 8:36am
Pretty cool. Glad they didn't just re-hash the same track from the previous two years. Not sure what to say about the metal ramp, but the joker lane section looks cool. Don't take it and you have to double-single, take the joker lane and you can get enough run to triple. Going by the Monster and Toyota arrows, it seemed to even out right before the finish. I wonder what they'll do if the joker lane turns out to actually be faster? The rule is you must take it once, but is there a rule saying you can't take it more than once? The little single right off the start adds a cool variable, and the longer split start with the riders joining up at the other end is pretty good idea, too. Looks like a sweet track.
ChrisB10
8/12/2014 9:48am
I have a headache from watching that. Time to go do something less complex and confusing now like Econometrics.
8/12/2014 10:04am
I thought it looked more like a sand takeoff? Not metal.

The Shop

enketchum
8/12/2014 10:07am Edited Date/Time 8/12/2014 11:53am
Post a track map instead of a video. Cmon

That is the most confusing track I have ever seen. I doubt it will be built that way for the event
VicDaMoan03
8/12/2014 10:10am
Did that video look rough to anyone else? Seems like not enough fraames per second or something.
HenryA
8/12/2014 10:27am
Things could get interesting in the first corner since there is a jump on the starting straight. Seems like a cool track!
lestat
8/12/2014 11:17am
With so many riders having ADD , it's going to be tough to remember which way to go on that track .
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
8/12/2014 12:31pm
lestat wrote:
With so many riders having ADD , it's going to be tough to remember which way to go on that track .
Between medications and a few cones thrown in the right areas, it'll be fine.
And if not- Vital will explode. Laughing
Olson
8/12/2014 12:37pm
That split lane start looks awesome. This is a one off event, don't care what the norm says. The joke lane looks interesting too. Mega jumps, good view for spectators, long track. Probably a deep field. Good stuff!
Steve125
Fantasy
2787th
8/12/2014 2:33pm
Finally got rid of the problem split gate. This one should go actually drop all at once. But it looks like the guys next to the box will be on the edge of the track at the initial split.... or worse..
stantdm
8/12/2014 2:45pm
Where the two lanes come back together on the opening lap looks dangerous in that video. That design is just asking for trouble.
8/12/2014 4:58pm
Oh nice, is this one of the new MX vs ATV tracks? No? Sure looks like a videogames track to me, kinda of looks dangerous too.
Olson
8/12/2014 5:37pm
One thought. Can a guy placed on one side opt to go to the other when the gate drops? For example in a bad start or a Musquin ala Daytona style to avoid another rider. Probably just a stupid idea but with the layout like this makes me wonder what the rule book says.
Steve 396
8/12/2014 5:46pm
Looks very interesting I say. I am not sure the joker lane is a disadvantage but we will see. Really like the format they have for this race and enjoy watching it!
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
8/12/2014 5:58pm
I got two things out of that.

I wouldn't want to be centerpunched by the pointy end of a Monster logo.

All the photographers will be shooting from the stands.
Crush
8/12/2014 6:05pm
That track looks FAST!
8/12/2014 6:46pm
I know there's probably a 99% chance of this not happening but it wouldn't be such a good thing if someone got squirly on the approach to the metal ramp and then got thrown into it. I don't understand why it has to be metal, it's cool as hell and would allow for some good whipping though.
JM485
8/12/2014 6:51pm
I know there's probably a 99% chance of this not happening but it wouldn't be such a good thing if someone got squirly on the approach...
I know there's probably a 99% chance of this not happening but it wouldn't be such a good thing if someone got squirly on the approach to the metal ramp and then got thrown into it. I don't understand why it has to be metal, it's cool as hell and would allow for some good whipping though.
That's what I was thinking, especially considering there will be kids on superminis out there.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
8/12/2014 6:53pm
I know there's probably a 99% chance of this not happening but it wouldn't be such a good thing if someone got squirly on the approach...
McGrath had metal ramps on his track that was ran @ the Home Depot center and the race went off with NO problems with the ramps. Just sayin' ......
ChrisB10
8/12/2014 7:52pm
GuyB wrote:
I got two things out of that. I wouldn't want to be centerpunched by the pointy end of a Monster logo. All the photographers will be...
I got two things out of that.

I wouldn't want to be centerpunched by the pointy end of a Monster logo.

All the photographers will be shooting from the stands.
LOL. Good point though on the photographers. There's no room for any non rider personnel!
wow123
8/13/2014 3:54am
lestat wrote:
a few found that out last year, if I remember correctly
Huevos
8/13/2014 10:04am
That metal ramp is gonna be a slick mofo if it rains.
Rain? In Vegas?

C.Worthy
8/13/2014 10:10am
langhammx wrote:
McGrath had metal ramps on his track that was ran @ the Home Depot center and the race went off with NO problems with the ramps...
McGrath had metal ramps on his track that was ran @ the Home Depot center and the race went off with NO problems with the ramps. Just sayin' ......
Yup I was there at the Mcgrath invitational. It was actually really rad having metal ramps on the track. It made it a giant floater jump. No one had any problems any of the nights they raced there.
4stroke4DWIN
8/13/2014 10:39am
That metal ramp is gonna be a slick mofo if it rains.
Huevos wrote:
Rain? In Vegas? [img]https://i.imgur.com/t8VJ61g.gif[/img]
Rain? In Vegas?

Lol It does happen, once in a blue moon. If it does rain it will be because that metal ramp, kinda like when you detail your car.Laughing

Post a reply to: Monster Energy Cup Track Design Revealed

The Latest