Mirra diagnosed with CTE

hvaughn88
Edited Date/Time 5/24/2016 8:25pm
It doesn't bring him back, but at least it helps explain the situation. Hopefully the actions sports world starts to pay attention to this issue.

Mirra - CTE Diagnosis
|
NotCore
5/24/2016 6:32am
Sad. Thanks for posting. I will share this with my kids.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
5/24/2016 6:33am
Dam, I just finished watching the movie Concussion with Will Smith then I read this. Pretty crazy.
5/24/2016 6:35am
I don't think it's sad. He got payed millions to do what he loved. Pro athletes know the risks going in. Dude had a great life.
akmx17
5/24/2016 6:41am
I don't think it's sad. He got payed millions to do what he loved. Pro athletes know the risks going in. Dude had a great life.
Its pretty sad. Yeah, he lived a great life but his children have to grow up with out their father and his wife takes a big hit as well.

The Shop

TailSoHard
5/24/2016 6:43am Edited Date/Time 5/24/2016 6:43am
Man, that's really sad... Hate seeing people go that way, but at least this helps give a reason why he was feeling the way he was, rather than it just be a mystery to his family for the rest of their lives. RIP Dave
MXD
5/24/2016 6:47am Edited Date/Time 5/24/2016 6:54am
I don't think it's fair to say that he knew the risks going in. You can maybe make a case for that statement today but the long term effects of concussions are only just recently being understood at a level that would raise caution. Back when Mirra broke in, if you got a concussion, you avoided sleep for a day, drank orange juice and got back at it. A lot has changed.
Thelen20
5/24/2016 6:59am
two little girls lost their dad and a wife lost her husband, that's sad no matter how you spin it

The guy was my hero when i was coming up, honestly he was a great role model, the epitome of professionalism and class. My boy will know all about him, the good and the unfortunate bad ending. Never forget, RIP Mirra

Father and son #goldpegsformirra #goldpedalsformirra #ripmirra #ledgend

A photo posted by mitchell thelen (@impalenthelen) on Mar 29, 2016 at 11:20am PDT

Firefly47
5/24/2016 7:13am
YOU believe he had a great life.
What we see is not always the case when looking from the outside.
bluepumpkin
5/24/2016 7:15am
MXD wrote:
I don't think it's fair to say that he knew the risks going in. You can maybe make a case for that statement today but the...
I don't think it's fair to say that he knew the risks going in. You can maybe make a case for that statement today but the long term effects of concussions are only just recently being understood at a level that would raise caution. Back when Mirra broke in, if you got a concussion, you avoided sleep for a day, drank orange juice and got back at it. A lot has changed.
This. I know that a years back I had my "bell rung" a few times. I definitely would have made different decisions after the first concussion had I known then what I know now.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
5/24/2016 7:18am
Concussions are no joke.
Terrible for his family.

RIP
kkawboy14
5/24/2016 7:22am
I doubt the fear of CTE would stop anyone from a sport they love.
hvaughn88
5/24/2016 7:37am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Personally, I hope people continue to do what they love. I just hope that maybe people will at least be a tad more cautious in their protection and recovery
Kyle978
5/24/2016 7:52am
MXD wrote:
I don't think it's fair to say that he knew the risks going in. You can maybe make a case for that statement today but the...
Stole the words out of my fingers. I encourage everyone to watch the movie Concussion, it has a Hollywood spin on it but the facts are the facts and it really opened my eyes to the affects of concussions. Too many otherwise healthy pro athletes have gone out the same way to argue the facts.

RIP Dave, and peace be with his family.
Cortami79
5/24/2016 7:54am
Sad..

Not to be rude or anything, but sometimes I wonder how Pastrana will do in 10-15 years.. Took a lot of hits to his head too
davistld01
5/24/2016 7:59am
Things like this make me wonder if guys' sudden lack of focus or performance...like James Stewart for instance, have anything to do with possible symptoms of CTE.
mauidex
5/24/2016 8:14am
davistld01 wrote:
Things like this make me wonder if guys' sudden lack of focus or performance...like James Stewart for instance, have anything to do with possible symptoms of...
Things like this make me wonder if guys' sudden lack of focus or performance...like James Stewart for instance, have anything to do with possible symptoms of CTE.
winner winner chicken dinner!!!!! and my point on why he needs to consider stopping before it's too late..........
davistld01
5/24/2016 8:19am
davistld01 wrote:
Things like this make me wonder if guys' sudden lack of focus or performance...like James Stewart for instance, have anything to do with possible symptoms of...
mauidex wrote:
winner winner chicken dinner!!!!! and my point on why he needs to consider stopping before it's too late..........
Hey, lets not turn a Mirra thread into a "Stewart should step retire" thead. That's not what I meant, and there are already 10-15 active threads like that already.

Sorry for the hijack, hvaugn88.
NotCore
5/24/2016 8:26am
kkawboy14 wrote:
hvaughn88 wrote:
Personally, I hope people continue to do what they love. I just hope that maybe people will at least be a tad more cautious in their...
Personally, I hope people continue to do what they love. I just hope that maybe people will at least be a tad more cautious in their protection and recovery
My 16 year old loves to play soccer, and I support him. But my advice to him is no headers at all. If he's in the World Cup finals and the header will win the game, the price might be worth it, but in our local area, what's the point?

Last weekend he missed the ball on the corner kick and hit the post directly. So much for parental advice...
MR. X
5/24/2016 8:59am
NotCore wrote:
My 16 year old loves to play soccer, and I support him. But my advice to him is no headers at all. If he's in the...
My 16 year old loves to play soccer, and I support him. But my advice to him is no headers at all. If he's in the World Cup finals and the header will win the game, the price might be worth it, but in our local area, what's the point?

Last weekend he missed the ball on the corner kick and hit the post directly. So much for parental advice...
Hit the post with his head !? Blink
Krazyk2774
5/24/2016 9:12am
Its always sad to see a family lose a loved one. No matter how great your life was, to die at a young age is a tragedy!
We need to research this more and figure out better protective devices, and develop better diagnosis and treatments for athletes when they are injured!
jmx411
5/24/2016 9:27am
I worry more of these action sports stars from the early-mid 2000s will have the same problem. These guys continued to bash their heads on the ground and get right back up and try again. Worst thing about concussions is rushing back and having another one. Most of these guys didn't care about taking time off when they hit their head.
zingaa
5/24/2016 9:38am Edited Date/Time 5/24/2016 9:40am
I can't help but worry about Matt Hoffman. If you haven't seen it, there's a 30 for 30 on Matt on Netflix, dude puts himself to sleep numerous times in the show, scary ****.

motoman617
5/24/2016 9:48am
Datdude22 wrote:
A great article on TAU Deposits and what the brain looks like when CTE is suspected and detected. It's amazing how close CTE and Alzheimers looks...
A great article on TAU Deposits and what the brain looks like when CTE is suspected and detected.

It's amazing how close CTE and Alzheimers looks when compared side by side.

http://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-04-characteristic-pattern-protein-de…
My Dad passed away at 60 years of age. In 1985 when he died he was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimers disease. Over the years since his death and hearing all this CTE research I wonder if my Dad has something similar.
Nothing like this about CTE was out there then and they just eliminated everything else and diagnosed Alzheimers.

Years ago my dad was a brick mason. He had a whole load of bricks fall off a forklift and hit him. End result was a head injury,broken bones and a messed up back. He became a truck driver after that and years later was involved in a head on collision resulting in a broken arm and another big blow to the head. All these reports really make me wonder.

It is sad for Dave's family and what he did was a terrible blow for them but seeing the last couple of years of my Dad's life and the toll it took on every one of us I would not wish on anyone.

Hopefully this report will help his family with some closure and explain why things happened the way they did . Sad deal no matter what.

Godspeed DM
davistld01
5/24/2016 11:40am
They just released a diagnosis about the reason for death in former pro NFL star Bubba Smith as well...CTE. Very sad that this is just now coming to the attention of the medical field regarding professional sports injuries from concussions.

Post a reply to: Mirra diagnosed with CTE

The Latest