Mini-O's SX Championship Drama

JTM5427
Edited Date/Time 12/17/2017 3:33pm
Looks like some discrepancy over a title in the 65 (7-11) class. Personally to me looks like the wrong decision was made based on the lap times.

|
11/23/2017 9:08pm
Seems relatively tame. Did any pregnant women get punched in the belly?

I remember an NMA race at Rio Bravo in the 70's ( I think Scott Brown won my class) and my Mom was bitching about the scoring and eventually gave up. She said whoever yelled louder got their kid moved up in the results! Maybe that's why Scott won...lol..jk!
hyler199
11/23/2017 9:20pm
Is there any visual evidence? It seems easy to tell who crosses the line first? Thats 1.1 seconds of difference
tek14
11/23/2017 9:26pm
Maybe GoPro files were accidentally deleted also?
KirkChandler
Fantasy
385th
11/23/2017 9:30pm
hyler199 wrote:
Is there any visual evidence? It seems easy to tell who crosses the line first? Thats 1.1 seconds of difference
It looks like they tied on time, (0:00.000) but Malcolm had a faster last lap and caught Deegan making up the 1.1 seconds in the difference in their final lap time.

It sounds like visually they gave it to Malcolm and the computer broke the tie to Deegan. A lot of times the timing system rounds up, but it can break down further when it's close enough.

The Shop

dv12.com
Fantasy
134th
11/23/2017 9:33pm Edited Date/Time 11/23/2017 9:35pm
The mini parents need to chill out. I have no idea what happened but it's "only" a 7-11 Mini-Os championship. There's a long way to go until the real championships in the 450 pro class... So many amateurs were the next big things and never did shit in the pros. They need to keep working, hustling, fighting. There's a lot of that left if they want to race for a pro championship in SX or MX. I only won 2 french national mini bike championship, 80s 12U & 80s 12-14 the year after. I sucked in schoolboy and 80 12-16 but I won a bunch of races that mattered and paid very well as a pro. Parents, keep your eyes on the prize far away and do what it takes to get there. The results/championships present, as a 7-11 rider, are very important other than getting few free bottle of oils and a few sets of gear...
TannerMxer
11/23/2017 9:54pm
dv12.com wrote:
The mini parents need to chill out. I have no idea what happened but it's "only" a 7-11 Mini-Os championship. There's a long way to go...
The mini parents need to chill out. I have no idea what happened but it's "only" a 7-11 Mini-Os championship. There's a long way to go until the real championships in the 450 pro class... So many amateurs were the next big things and never did shit in the pros. They need to keep working, hustling, fighting. There's a lot of that left if they want to race for a pro championship in SX or MX. I only won 2 french national mini bike championship, 80s 12U & 80s 12-14 the year after. I sucked in schoolboy and 80 12-16 but I won a bunch of races that mattered and paid very well as a pro. Parents, keep your eyes on the prize far away and do what it takes to get there. The results/championships present, as a 7-11 rider, are very important other than getting few free bottle of oils and a few sets of gear...
tcallahan707
11/24/2017 12:02am
dv12.com wrote:
The mini parents need to chill out. I have no idea what happened but it's "only" a 7-11 Mini-Os championship. There's a long way to go...
I totally agree with you that this could very well be a situation they laugh about later on in his career. It’s not that big on the grand scale of things. But it’s understandable why she’s upset. They awarded Carter his first championship ever and then decided later to take it away and give it to the popular kid, under questionable circumstances. It’s not the first time the AMA has been questioned about integrity. She acknowledged how he handled it well and I know they will use this as fuel for the future. I doubt this is the last time you’ll hear Carter’s name.
11/24/2017 12:55am
The USA amateur scene has to stop awarding national championships for every big race. Hell i seen some parents post about their kid who is a 50 rider (very fast 50 rider at that) post how proud of the 28 National Cahmapionships he has.
I mean how the how do you have 28 National titles by the age of 7.
sgrimmxdad
Fantasy
1936th
11/24/2017 2:02am
It takes a ton of money, time, and effort for these families to make these races. Hate to disagree with DV but there is money on the line. Some big names on that list already, bike and gear contracts on the line. I'd say it is a very big deal.... Spend several grand to go to a race only to have a win stripped would piss me off too.... I have no idea what happened and whom is right, just sayin....

Some of these kids get a garage full of bikes, parts and gear.... Adds up quickly... I'd be willing to bet some of the top kids fair much better than some of the privaters in the big show....
Sidecar
11/24/2017 2:16am
sgrimmxdad wrote:
It takes a ton of money, time, and effort for these families to make these races. Hate to disagree with DV but there is money on...
It takes a ton of money, time, and effort for these families to make these races. Hate to disagree with DV but there is money on the line. Some big names on that list already, bike and gear contracts on the line. I'd say it is a very big deal.... Spend several grand to go to a race only to have a win stripped would piss me off too.... I have no idea what happened and whom is right, just sayin....

Some of these kids get a garage full of bikes, parts and gear.... Adds up quickly... I'd be willing to bet some of the top kids fair much better than some of the privaters in the big show....
And that’s a part of the problem... “spend several grand to go to a race” several grand on one race.... That’s nuts and definitely not fair heaping that pressure on a kid that would have just as much fun racing his mates at a local track...
I’m with DV the whole way on this.
PS yes I have a son, he’s 15, he’s had a crf50, a TM85 and now has an XR250 that we have built together into a full Motocross spec, he rides but has never raced, he will start next year at 16, when it will be his choice, bikes, where he races etc NO pressure from me, keeping it fun.
ruy
11/24/2017 4:30am
It seems very bad that they are annoying the illusion to the children, if they do not know how to correctly give the results, the best they can do is to dedicate themselves to something else.

Uncle Tony
11/24/2017 4:53am
Sidecar wrote:
And that’s a part of the problem... “spend several grand to go to a race” several grand on one race.... That’s nuts and definitely not fair...
And that’s a part of the problem... “spend several grand to go to a race” several grand on one race.... That’s nuts and definitely not fair heaping that pressure on a kid that would have just as much fun racing his mates at a local track...
I’m with DV the whole way on this.
PS yes I have a son, he’s 15, he’s had a crf50, a TM85 and now has an XR250 that we have built together into a full Motocross spec, he rides but has never raced, he will start next year at 16, when it will be his choice, bikes, where he races etc NO pressure from me, keeping it fun.
And your son will probably ride dirt bikes the rest of his life, unlike the kids of these crazed mini parents, who will end up hating there parents by the time they're 21, and never want to be around motocross again, sad really
Firefly47
11/24/2017 4:58am
I remember when there was only 4 big Am races that counted.
Ponca
Loretta's
World Mini
Mini O's

And of those 4 races, Supermini, the B classes and the Expert classes were all that mattered. That's it.
Cortami79
11/24/2017 5:34am
Thats silly, I understand the parents are upset. On the other hand i'm with DV on this one. You see the same thing in Europe. Very talented guys in EMX65, 85 and 125. But it really starts to matter when they make the jump to EMX250 or even MX2 class. Most of the time THAT is the point where you have to spend (i prefer the word invest when you believe you have enough talent) money for good equipment and racing. You see so many talented riders burned out because they have ridden too much, have injuries due to riding higher then their capabilities, or simply stop having faith in their talent because they suddenly can't win anymore. Sorry to get off topic.

11/24/2017 5:56am
Cortami79 wrote:
Thats silly, I understand the parents are upset. On the other hand i'm with DV on this one. You see the same thing in Europe. Very...
Thats silly, I understand the parents are upset. On the other hand i'm with DV on this one. You see the same thing in Europe. Very talented guys in EMX65, 85 and 125. But it really starts to matter when they make the jump to EMX250 or even MX2 class. Most of the time THAT is the point where you have to spend (i prefer the word invest when you believe you have enough talent) money for good equipment and racing. You see so many talented riders burned out because they have ridden too much, have injuries due to riding higher then their capabilities, or simply stop having faith in their talent because they suddenly can't win anymore. Sorry to get off topic.

I couldn’t disagree more.

You think Mitch gave AC a ride because of how well he rode on a 250f alone?? Without a doubt results during your 7-16 years matter when your trying to get onto a full factory or non Mom and Dad supported privateer team.

You usually can’t get results in 250 class unless you had the results from 7-16.
Canadad
11/24/2017 6:11am
Don't see the issue here.....to close to call visually and timing and scoring calls it a tie......done.
Mr. Info
11/24/2017 6:21am
I wonder who from the AMA is there? And you do have a right to file a protest but that time frame may have passed.
Cortami79
11/24/2017 6:24am
I couldn’t disagree more. You think Mitch gave AC a ride because of how well he rode on a 250f alone?? Without a doubt results during...
I couldn’t disagree more.

You think Mitch gave AC a ride because of how well he rode on a 250f alone?? Without a doubt results during your 7-16 years matter when your trying to get onto a full factory or non Mom and Dad supported privateer team.

You usually can’t get results in 250 class unless you had the results from 7-16.
Yeah you have a point, but AC is an extreme example of talent. Never said that it didn't matter to win races during your 7-16th age. For me it is more important to show results in your 250A or EMX250 days. Just my opinion
rmoto003
11/24/2017 6:41am
I can understand their frustration

See, back in my day, I was leading the 65cc chain-drive, mixed-mod, suspension-revalve-allowed, stock-exhaust, 7-8.5 yrs old, pre-puberty class at my local national world championship and got protested for having an aftermarket graphics kit!

Needless to say, I missed out on that national championship plate and my racing career was never the same.
11/24/2017 7:33am
SOME Amateurs are making fat checks these days. It ain’t like 20 years ago. call me a bullshitter I don’t care.

Recanted national championship. I can see their frustration. Live timing shit sucks. Can’t just go by the human scorer. Flame on.
coolhand
11/24/2017 8:05am

Chang Lee looking good on his Hasbro trainer...

mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
11/24/2017 8:12am
How do you award a championship to someone and then take it away? That's bs to me. I do agree with DV that these parents need to chill out. Keep it fun for junior and stop putting so much pressure on them.

I have to wonder how much protesting was done by the other kids family....and how much pull that family has because of who they are..
Rhino
11/24/2017 8:18am
Was Deegans kid running a big bore again? Already been popped before.
richardwhite
11/24/2017 8:21am
This link clears thing up a little. wintero.escoremx.com/laptimes.asp?s=&c=601&e=114&rn=2&rt=M
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
11/24/2017 8:24am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
How do you award a championship to someone and then take it away? That's bs to me. I do agree with DV that these parents need...
How do you award a championship to someone and then take it away? That's bs to me. I do agree with DV that these parents need to chill out. Keep it fun for junior and stop putting so much pressure on them.

I have to wonder how much protesting was done by the other kids family....and how much pull that family has because of who they are..
They seem to be involved with protests/outcomes on multiple occasions. Seem to remember the noted partys’ dad becoming verbally heated at times.

Where there is smoke there is fire.
Rhino
11/24/2017 8:28am Edited Date/Time 11/24/2017 9:28am
That link is interesting.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
11/24/2017 8:31am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
How do you award a championship to someone and then take it away? That's bs to me. I do agree with DV that these parents need...

kzizok wrote:
They seem to be involved with protests/outcomes on multiple occasions. Seem to remember the noted partys’ dad becoming verbally heated at times. Where there is smoke...
They seem to be involved with protests/outcomes on multiple occasions. Seem to remember the noted partys’ dad becoming verbally heated at times.

Where there is smoke there is fire.
I thought I had remembered hearing them involved in other protests, but I couldn't remember for sure. The timing and scoring that richardwhite posted shows Deegan winning by .049, so this time it seems legit, but they should have figured that out before they awarded the championship
Zoom
11/24/2017 8:34am Edited Date/Time 11/24/2017 8:36am
So many riders, parents and even industry people think these "major" races are nationals. I hate to disappoint them, but there is only one AMA Amateur National Championship. Its at Loretta Lynn's. Only 42 of the best riders in the nation are qualified to race at the AMA Amateur Championship at Loretta Lynn's per class.

While its a big accomplishment to win a title at the Mini O's, your not the National Champion for winning there. You are the Mini O's Champion.

Post a reply to: Mini-O's SX Championship Drama

The Latest