Millville is the benchmark

Edited Date/Time 7/21/2014 6:44pm
Wow what a track! After going to Red Bud and Millville for the last 20yrs I can honestly say Millville has surpassed Red Bud. The green scenic valley, loamy dirt, multiple unreal elevation changes, huge uphill mega air jumps, downhills that pucker your asshole just watching, natural sand whoops, hundreds of great spectator vantages, great variety of food and beverage vendors, etc. The spectator turnout was amazing. I waited in line 30 seconds to get out for the drive back home. Martins Mountain restored my belief in the purity of the sport. Thank you John Martin. You gave our family the best family vacation I could have dreamed of.
|
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
7/20/2014 8:59am
Agreed Imo best track on the circuit !!
Crush
7/20/2014 9:07am
Thing I like best about it is however and whatever the elements combine to be, it is a race track. A good full on race track where the guys can make passes in tons of places... Really cool, you don't see it often!
nytsmaC
7/20/2014 9:17am Edited Date/Time 7/20/2014 9:18am
I concur, it looked great. Red Bud looked like it was just tilled too deep and rutted out. Millville had so many corner options, passing around the outside, those sand whoops made me glad it was them out there and not me, and the track really showcased everyone's talents being able to navigate the track with so much speed. They were hauling ass but nobody was able to make it look easy.

The Shop

level
7/20/2014 9:19am
I was watching the race on TV and was thinking the same thing-just what an awesome track.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
7/20/2014 9:57am Edited Date/Time 7/20/2014 9:58am
I thought this was cool. Jeremy with his pop.

Thelen20
7/20/2014 10:01am
Well you can see where the martin boys got their lack of vertical reach from! ^^^ haha!

Happy for the martin family! They seem to deserve the success they are enjoying!
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
7/20/2014 10:47am
That place looks amazing and glad to hear it really is from the fans that were there. Very cool.
Tony922
7/20/2014 11:03am
Wow what a track! After going to Red Bud and Millville for the last 20yrs I can honestly say Millville has surpassed Red Bud. The green...
Wow what a track! After going to Red Bud and Millville for the last 20yrs I can honestly say Millville has surpassed Red Bud. The green scenic valley, loamy dirt, multiple unreal elevation changes, huge uphill mega air jumps, downhills that pucker your asshole just watching, natural sand whoops, hundreds of great spectator vantages, great variety of food and beverage vendors, etc. The spectator turnout was amazing. I waited in line 30 seconds to get out for the drive back home. Martins Mountain restored my belief in the purity of the sport. Thank you John Martin. You gave our family the best family vacation I could have dreamed of.
Agree with this post. Travelled from Aussie for this meet ( among other things) with a couple of non moto fanatics. Was indeed a great spectacle and impressed the shit out of the rookies. That downhill was sick, I felt inadequate watching those guys on the gas down there and sailing of the second drop off, they have some sack for sure.
Fairly long wait for the ports cans for the girls, but otherwise couldn't fault it. Need to save pennies to get back for some more outdoor action next year.
PTECH
7/20/2014 11:20am Edited Date/Time 7/21/2014 6:34pm
The place really looks like heaven from just watching it on TV. Awesome track for sure.
c_dub
7/20/2014 12:12pm Edited Date/Time 7/20/2014 12:13pm
The only National track I've been to is Millville so I'm biased and can't really compare/contrast it to other tracks to be fair. But I have to agree with the sentiments expressed by others in this thread. The place is like a little slice of heaven and an escape from reality for a couple hours. When you're there it's like the only place that exists if that makes any sense.

Like the op said, it's in this wonderful green scenic valley with no other real civilization or cities around it. It's isolated. Hell, I can't ever get cell phone service while I'm there. Which, I actually rather enjoy. The dirt, the elevation changes, the hills, the people, the food. It all adds up to a wonderful experience and I'm glad I'm within a relatively short driving distance to attend every year.

I was chatting with a father and son yesterday just after we had both parked. We got to talking and I asked them if they were fans of the sport and follow the series. They said they kind of, so-so follow it but not really. And that they'll ride trails occasionally back home but not moto. And this was their first visit to Millville. So your average fan at best. Not guys that are hardcore fans like most us. I told them they'll have a better appreciation and respect after seeing it live today compared to TV.

I caught up with them after the race. I asked them how their day went and they said it was awesome. They were both genuinely impressed with what they had just witnessed. You could see it in their eyes and hear it in their voice. And that they couldn't wait to come back next year and likely every year after. So the sport just pulled in two more potentially life long fans. I was ecstatic to say the least to hear they enjoyed it so much and would be coming back in the future.

They were gonna stay the night and camp too. Wish I would've done the same. It prob. only added to their already fantastic day.
plowboy
7/20/2014 2:26pm
It was absolutely amazing to watch on the tele...the Martins got it right. Holy cow what a good race.
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2364th
7/20/2014 2:42pm
That facility kicks ass.

Props to the Martin family!
SKlein
7/20/2014 3:48pm Edited Date/Time 7/20/2014 4:37pm
Absolutely love the place. Such a great atmosphere!

dl117
Fantasy
2587th
7/20/2014 4:00pm
Been going since the trans-am days, only have missed a couple years since then......the facility yesterday was very impressive. It was my boys first year and he did not want to leave. Another great year
DA498
7/20/2014 4:51pm
Place is badass for sure. Almost died two years ago from heat exhaustion just spectating! Had been away from mn to long and was not ready for the humidity or something. Made it to the end of day but hit the wall hard and was scary as hell. It still freaks me out some now if I get hot.
chope573
7/20/2014 6:39pm
My favorite track for sure... Place is SO AWESOME! The only problem is that dang two lane higway to get to it. When RC rode his last race in 2007 it was the most packed around 30K and traffic was pain but worth it..

Bumper to bumper all they way to Rochester or Wabasha.... Gotta love that attendence..
huck
7/20/2014 7:20pm
Ive been going to millville for 10 years. Mr martin has always been extremely welcoming..,even to the weekend warriors.
SKlein
7/20/2014 8:05pm
chope573 wrote:
My favorite track for sure... Place is SO AWESOME! The only problem is that dang two lane higway to get to it. When RC rode his...
My favorite track for sure... Place is SO AWESOME! The only problem is that dang two lane higway to get to it. When RC rode his last race in 2007 it was the most packed around 30K and traffic was pain but worth it..

Bumper to bumper all they way to Rochester or Wabasha.... Gotta love that attendence..
Yeah, was about an hour of driving in jammed traffic for myself. At the end of the day it's worth it, plus as long as crowds continue to grow I won't complain. Nice to see a growing fanbase for sure.
yz414
7/20/2014 8:12pm
ive gone the last 4 years now and i still get goosebumps when i see the track thursday morning for amateur open practice

i love riding through the pits heading to the gate on friday to line up knowing 24hrs later the baddest dudes on 2 wheels will be on the same start line
c_dub
7/20/2014 8:36pm
chope573 wrote:
My favorite track for sure... Place is SO AWESOME! The only problem is that dang two lane higway to get to it. When RC rode his...

SKlein wrote:
Yeah, was about an hour of driving in jammed traffic for myself. At the end of the day it's worth it, plus as long as crowds...
Yeah, was about an hour of driving in jammed traffic for myself. At the end of the day it's worth it, plus as long as crowds continue to grow I won't complain. Nice to see a growing fanbase for sure.
I'm never in a rush to leave because of this. I'll wander around the course. Take some pics. Get some food. Wander through the pits and maybe chat with folks. But, I understand not everyone can just stick around and waste time like me Smile . I'm lucky in that sense.
slipdog
7/20/2014 8:48pm
My first time there was '92, still my favorite track hands down!
dynohut
7/20/2014 9:09pm
Me and Abram (my youngest son) rolled into casa Denver about an hour ago after a 12 hour power drive home from the Spring Creek Natl! He has studied, worked, back packed, and hiked all around Europe and has seen MXGP's along the way after collage. Last week I said dude lets go to millville on a whim, you will not believe this place in the MX lore that I have been to, raced amature day at (vet pro) 20 yrs ago when John Dowd won, and just dig it!!! when we got there he said Dad you and Mom took me here when I was 2 years old and I played in the creek all day like these kids are doing and someone stole my new pair of casper sneakers when I was playing in the creek, I am still pissed. We had one of the best weekends of our life together ever! Thanks for you positive posts dudes. Saw Gibby lurking around a bit to all weekend and let it be, he was on the gas!
shortcourse
7/20/2014 9:35pm
dynohut wrote:
Me and Abram (my youngest son) rolled into casa Denver about an hour ago after a 12 hour power drive home from the Spring Creek Natl...
Me and Abram (my youngest son) rolled into casa Denver about an hour ago after a 12 hour power drive home from the Spring Creek Natl! He has studied, worked, back packed, and hiked all around Europe and has seen MXGP's along the way after collage. Last week I said dude lets go to millville on a whim, you will not believe this place in the MX lore that I have been to, raced amature day at (vet pro) 20 yrs ago when John Dowd won, and just dig it!!! when we got there he said Dad you and Mom took me here when I was 2 years old and I played in the creek all day like these kids are doing and someone stole my new pair of casper sneakers when I was playing in the creek, I am still pissed. We had one of the best weekends of our life together ever! Thanks for you positive posts dudes. Saw Gibby lurking around a bit to all weekend and let it be, he was on the gas!
Great post!
huck
7/21/2014 5:45am
dynohut wrote:
Me and Abram (my youngest son) rolled into casa Denver about an hour ago after a 12 hour power drive home from the Spring Creek Natl...
Cool memories!
Flip109
7/21/2014 6:13am
I've only seen it on TV, but even from just watching it on TV, it has always been my fav national track to watch. One day I will make it up there. Looks amazing! Great photos also. If anyone has anymore post em up on here
dl117
Fantasy
2587th
7/21/2014 6:22am
c_dub wrote:
I'm never in a rush to leave because of this. I'll wander around the course. Take some pics. Get some food. Wander through the pits and...
I'm never in a rush to leave because of this. I'll wander around the course. Take some pics. Get some food. Wander through the pits and maybe chat with folks. But, I understand not everyone can just stick around and waste time like me Smile . I'm lucky in that sense.
We go out to the lot and hang out and fire up the grill and chill for an hour or so. lets traffic lighten up and then we can cruise out at our own lesiure. I should have stayed in Lake City with my daughter and the KTM both folks......she said the party saturday night was a riot over there.
motoxxx599
Fantasy
875th
7/21/2014 6:23am
they need the MXdN or a GP.. best rack in the US
Grieby54
7/21/2014 6:25am
It certainly highlights how badass these guys are on bikes. The sand whoops and that new sand (sorta) rhythm section both take a lot out of you to just pound into - let alone for 30 +2.
ehr400
7/21/2014 7:00am
Red Bud and Millville are the 2 best tracks by far. Both have their strong points for sure.

Post a reply to: Millville is the benchmark

The Latest