Mike Alessi is a head case...

Edited Date/Time 2/27/2014 4:58pm
This thread is not about the T-bone. Over that.

What I am talking about is that guys incredible negative psychology. He literally tells himself he can't beat the top 5 guys.... over and over he says things like "you just cant ride at that pace..."

I wonder how uncomfortable and out of control he felt for the 1st lap and a half at ATL...because he was going FAST. He looked good too. He did NOT look out of control. He turned all his fast segment times for the night in succession.....and that lap was 4th fastest lap of the night. If he keeps working on his corners and whoops...AND gets rid of the incredible negative defeatist mind set he has...he can run with anyone . He looked more out or sorts and out of control later in the race when he slowed down 3s a lap.

It is just mind blowing to me how an elite rider can express such a I can't win mentality. What on earth did Tony do to his kids.... You can actually see it when he starts to get passed..he just folds because he KNOWS he does not belong up at the front. Someone get this kid a shrink.
|
mauimotox99
2/26/2014 10:54pm
just shows how much of the game is mental. he used to have endurance, not sure if he still does and hes shown sprints just as fast as anyone.
shredder22
2/26/2014 11:02pm
Well growing up with Tony as a father couldn't be a picnic and leads to his low confidence/self esteem. I was surprised at how fast his best lap was. I think Mike is an extremely talented rider, but he's too immature. He's like a little kid in a mans body. I hope that the t-bone is Mike's last "drama event" but I just don't think it will be. Mike is not a super cross rider and I don't see him finishing top 5. Even outdoors, the only years he finished high in the rankings were when others were injured. 2012 Mike finishes 2nd outdoors. 2013 he finishes 9th. If it wasn't for all the drama (believe the hype, tedesco killswitch, laser gate) people would think Mike has a pretty good career. It's tough too that Mike won all those amateur titles, but when he turns pro, he can't win any titles and the guy he used to beat all the time (RV) wins so many SX and MX championships. If Mike had just been an average amateur with a ordinary family, people would see him riding and think he's got a very good career.
jeffro503
2/26/2014 11:31pm
I agree to some extent. The one thing that has always bugged me about his racing style ( and he's done this from day one )........he always looks back. When he starts doing that , he starts falling back.....fast. When he puts his head down and focuses on moving forward......Mike can run a good pace indoors , and an even better pace outdoors. Honestly....I was surprised at his speed last week.....I really hope we get to see more of it.
rebus
2/26/2014 11:55pm
This thread is not about the T-bone. Over that. What I am talking about is that guys incredible negative psychology. He literally tells himself he can't...

What I am talking about is that guys incredible negative psychology. He literally tells himself he can't beat the top 5 guys.... over and over he says things like "you just cant ride at that pace..."

I wonder how uncomfortable and out of control he felt for the 1st lap and a half at ATL...because he was going FAST. He looked good too. He did NOT look out of control. He turned all his fast segment times for the night in succession.....and that lap was 4th fastest lap of the night. If he keeps working on his corners and whoops...AND gets rid of the incredible negative defeatist mind set he has...he can run with anyone . He looked more out or sorts and out of control later in the race when he slowed down 3s a lap.

It is just mind blowing to me how an elite rider can express such a I can't win mentality. What on earth did Tony do to his kids.... You can actually see it when he starts to get passed..he just folds because he KNOWS he does not belong up at the front. Someone get this kid a shrink.
Let's see you go out there and race Ryan Villopoto and come back in with the attitude that you can "beat him".

What's really insane is how you can psychoanalyze this shit and bring his dad into the picture.

Fuck me, let's use your logic and ask what's wrong with Hahn's dad. You can see it in Hahn, motherfucker just folds and let's the fastest fucking riders in the world pass him. Someone get him to a shrink.

The Shop

2/27/2014 12:35am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2014 1:10am
I was listening to the Pulpshow...and he started with that "I cant go that fast" stuff... I wanted to call in and ask if he had looked at this own lap times...because he DID go that fast. He has to stop with that defeatist mindset.

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”
― Henry Ford

rebus...you missed the whole point...which is Mike CAN go that fast...and anyone who has watched him in SX knows that he is a head case. He literally slows down and lets guys by till he gets to a point in the order where he thinks he belongs. Emig even comments during the race when he was passed for 5th...he just moved out of the way.

Your over the top response to my post says something about you...and it is not real positive. No coach or trainer on earth would accept having their athlete tell themselves they "can't" do anything. This is not "over analyzing.." it is basic sports psychology. His genuine but uncomfortable to watch emotional outpouring...and along with the temper tantrum he pulled on Brock...all signs that his mindset is a big part of what is holding him back.

Back to Mike....I hope he keeps working by Byrne and gets his head straight. He looked very good those first few laps....
velocitygear
2/27/2014 12:50am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2014 12:51am
Sounds like Byrne is no longer there? I agree about Mike, maybe he needs to see a hypnotherapist. I'd love to see Mike live up to his potential....

I don't mean that hypnotherapy as a joke either, I think Mike would benefit from it...
2/27/2014 1:08am
Mike is still working with Burner during the week. On race day...Byrne is with BTO helping them out.
jamma10
2/27/2014 1:25am
Alessi has made huge improvements in Supercross this year but I dont think he has the mental focus to click off 20 laps the way he rides the first two or three. It's as though he can't find his 'zone' like his competitors.

I've been impressed with his riding on the whole though, especially through the whoops. But I would like to see him concentrate on getting solid 5-10 finishes instead of trying to win every race on the first lap.
Derpin' DJ
Fantasy
2803rd
2/27/2014 2:10am
shredder22 wrote:
Well growing up with Tony as a father couldn't be a picnic and leads to his low confidence/self esteem. I was surprised at how fast his...
Well growing up with Tony as a father couldn't be a picnic and leads to his low confidence/self esteem. I was surprised at how fast his best lap was. I think Mike is an extremely talented rider, but he's too immature. He's like a little kid in a mans body. I hope that the t-bone is Mike's last "drama event" but I just don't think it will be. Mike is not a super cross rider and I don't see him finishing top 5. Even outdoors, the only years he finished high in the rankings were when others were injured. 2012 Mike finishes 2nd outdoors. 2013 he finishes 9th. If it wasn't for all the drama (believe the hype, tedesco killswitch, laser gate) people would think Mike has a pretty good career. It's tough too that Mike won all those amateur titles, but when he turns pro, he can't win any titles and the guy he used to beat all the time (RV) wins so many SX and MX championships. If Mike had just been an average amateur with a ordinary family, people would see him riding and think he's got a very good career.
I really think Mike could have won the 2009 outdoors after Villo dropped out. Looked good that year
shredder22
2/27/2014 3:01am
shredder22 wrote:
Well growing up with Tony as a father couldn't be a picnic and leads to his low confidence/self esteem. I was surprised at how fast his...
Derpin' DJ wrote:
I really think Mike could have won the 2009 outdoors after Villo dropped out. Looked good that year
Maybe he could have but there was no James or RV like you mentioned, and RD was still on his 250. Chad Reed was the only big name and he ended up winning. Mike just can't beat any of the top guys for a championship indoors or out.
timlake
2/27/2014 4:10am
He's a victim of his own success.

He killed it in the smaller classes and beat all the guys beating him week-in week-out.

Now it's come to the bigger class and his success hasn't been replicated.

Perhaps he's just run out of talent. There's loads of people that are capable of turning a few good laps, and plenty of people who killed it in the 250s/smaller classes that just can't keep it going in the 450's like Villo/Reed/Stew etc can do.

It' not for lack of wanting to win, it was clear when he won that Moto earlier in the year he has the emotional attachment to want it, but that same emotional attachment is probably slowing him down too.
Crash82
Fantasy
1986th
2/27/2014 4:10am Edited Date/Time 2/27/2014 5:21am
You can look at it like that or you could say Tony raised a heck of a tough rider, it Sux how some of you go out of your way to throw TA under the bus while ignoring what a tough man he raised M800 to be. Mike is on a short list of riders that are capable of coming back from very serious injuries and still keep his speed. Not sure if it's hate or stupidity that fuels these threads but the fact is injuries are what has held 800 back. He is just now putting a few injury free seasons together and it's showing in his riding, the confidence will come as long as he stays healthy. On top of everything else he has all these haters constantly dogging him, he is a heck of a lot tougher than you me or anyone else I know. Keep up the good work 800, I'll always be a fan and there are tons of others out there just like me.
IWreckALot
2/27/2014 4:46am
Sounds like Byrne is no longer there? I agree about Mike, maybe he needs to see a hypnotherapist. I'd love to see Mike live up to...
Sounds like Byrne is no longer there? I agree about Mike, maybe he needs to see a hypnotherapist. I'd love to see Mike live up to his potential....

I don't mean that hypnotherapy as a joke either, I think Mike would benefit from it...
Where did you hear that Byrne is out? I thought Mike was showing some real improvement since Byrne joined him. That's a misstep if you ask me.
mxpappy711
2/27/2014 5:19am
Why don't some of you "experts" sign up Saturday night and show him how its done?
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
2/27/2014 5:32am
Your over the top thread about Mike Alessi says a lot about you too.
Brapp
2/27/2014 5:44am
jeffro503 wrote:
I agree to some extent. The one thing that has always bugged me about his racing style ( and he's done this from day one )........he...
I agree to some extent. The one thing that has always bugged me about his racing style ( and he's done this from day one )........he always looks back. When he starts doing that , he starts falling back.....fast. When he puts his head down and focuses on moving forward......Mike can run a good pace indoors , and an even better pace outdoors. Honestly....I was surprised at his speed last week.....I really hope we get to see more of it.
The whole looking back thing- I understand it for an amateur but not for someone on his level. You race forward, ride your laps and your lines. He did that in ATL for a few laps, then started looking back at #94 then BOOM the train went by him.
Jarid332
Fantasy
1635th
2/27/2014 5:47am
shredder22 wrote:
He did have points taken away at Washouga,l so he probably would have done better then 9th.
huck
2/27/2014 6:27am
Crash82 wrote:
You can look at it like that or you could say Tony raised a heck of a tough rider, it Sux how some of you go...
You can look at it like that or you could say Tony raised a heck of a tough rider, it Sux how some of you go out of your way to throw TA under the bus while ignoring what a tough man he raised M800 to be. Mike is on a short list of riders that are capable of coming back from very serious injuries and still keep his speed. Not sure if it's hate or stupidity that fuels these threads but the fact is injuries are what has held 800 back. He is just now putting a few injury free seasons together and it's showing in his riding, the confidence will come as long as he stays healthy. On top of everything else he has all these haters constantly dogging him, he is a heck of a lot tougher than you me or anyone else I know. Keep up the good work 800, I'll always be a fan and there are tons of others out there just like me.
Believe the hype crash...believe the hype!
zippy895
2/27/2014 6:42am
I suspect the reason he looks back,may be at the time his stayability at the pace declines.and he knows it.
if not,well,then he needs better peeps in his corner to get his head straight.
Grizz
2/27/2014 7:03am
I agree somewhat. In his head he knows he can be beat. He had the speed in ATL but as soon as he started thinking about the fast guys behind him he fell apart. He was obviously exhausted after pushing so hard while in the lead. If he could push his hardest the entire race, we could have a new winner.

His self doubt is evident when he constantly looks back. I've known since I was 3 to never look behind you on a race.
Flatliner
2/27/2014 7:22am
mxpappy711 wrote:
Why don't some of you "experts" sign up Saturday night and show him how its done?
You don't have to be a pro to make an observation. Can't see mike looking every which way but forward during races? It's pretty obvious.
huck
2/27/2014 7:24am
mxpappy711 wrote:
So now people have to be a pro, to be entitled to their opinions?
Pond Scum
2/27/2014 7:59am
mxpappy711 wrote:
huck wrote:
At least be a racer
huck
2/27/2014 8:02am
mxpappy711 wrote:
huck wrote:
Pond Scum wrote:
At least be a racer
Really?

So does that mean that unless you play/participate in organized football games, you should not be able to comment about an NFL game?

I never knew that to be a fan of a sport, you had to compete in that sport.
Pond Scum
2/27/2014 8:06am
huck wrote:
Pond Scum wrote:
At least be a racer
huck wrote:
Really? So does that mean that unless you play/participate in organized football games, you should not be able to comment about an NFL game? I never...
Really?

So does that mean that unless you play/participate in organized football games, you should not be able to comment about an NFL game?

hahahaha....

So Lenny's opinion is just as valid as yours about moto, even though you state he never raced, right ?
rcannon
2/27/2014 8:12am
I dont think the OP was saying anything bad about Mike. My not being able to challenge Mike in riding talent has nothing to do with it. It was an odd statement.

Remember RV2's first year, 2009, in the big class. When he took a lot of 3rd's? Where would RV2 be if he just said, "I'm good enough to be there, but i cant run Stewarts pace."
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
2/27/2014 8:22am
This thread is not about the T-bone. Over that. What I am talking about is that guys incredible negative psychology. He literally tells himself he can't...

If people accept JS7 at his word that you can't win if you don't have the perfect setup. Who's to say that Mike's results
are not a direct result of not having the best possible suspension, set just perfect, like the factories have access to?
Mike will tell you he has great stuff, but what do you expect him to say? His stuff is sub par? Then you all would just say
he's making excuses.
TM
huck
2/27/2014 8:32am
Pond Scum wrote:
At least be a racer
huck wrote:
Really? So does that mean that unless you play/participate in organized football games, you should not be able to comment about an NFL game? I never...
Really?

Pond Scum wrote:
hahahaha....

So Lenny's opinion is just as valid as yours about moto, even though you state he never raced, right ?
Lenny is entitled to his opinion...
BigDaddyG
2/27/2014 8:33am
Mikes mental fitness is severely lacking. When he gets to a point of trying to keep up with the faster guys he rides over his head and dangerous. Think back to Monster cup in 2011 I think when he kept crossing lines on Dungey then flipping him off for no reason. He has always been a less than stable rider. Maybe he should talk with Vince Friese since he seems have figured out how to go fast, ride forward and most importantly do it clean.

Post a reply to: Mike Alessi is a head case...

The Latest