Mike Alessi Will be a Race Day Decision for High Point

JJO741
Fantasy
3037th
Edited Date/Time 1/21/2012 1:59am
http://www.racerxonline.com/2011/06/09/mike-alessi-will-be-a-race-day-decision-for-high-point

Hope Mikey can make it. I think if he gets a start he can mix it up. All depends on his health though and if he even races.
|
akmx17
6/9/2011 1:24pm
Hope to see him out there.
therealjonon
6/9/2011 1:25pm
i dont like how the alessi's do that race day decision stuff...hes either ready or not and its worth it to take the one more week off if his times in first and second practice are even above top 10...no need to rush.
TDeath21
6/9/2011 1:38pm
If he is there, what's your prediction? I say between 5th and 10th.
mxb2
6/9/2011 1:49pm
TDeath21 wrote:
If he is there, what's your prediction? I say between 5th and 10th.
If he s in I ' ll go with 8-11! 9th overall.

The Shop

T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
6/9/2011 2:26pm
Top 5 without a doubt. If he's 100%, he'll finish top 3.
426Hemi
Fantasy
2757th
6/9/2011 3:31pm
Yea I hope he is not rushing it, but wish him the best.
BobbyM
6/9/2011 3:40pm
i hope they make the RIGHT decision regardless of the race or day.

if he races he should be fine.
Overdrive
6/9/2011 4:32pm
This is Mike Alessi we are talking about, he will be riding. I for one and happy to see it, the more at the front of the field the better.
Highsider
6/9/2011 5:31pm
Overdrive wrote:
This is Mike Alessi we are talking about, he will be riding. I for one and happy to see it, the more at the front of...
This is Mike Alessi we are talking about, he will be riding. I for one and happy to see it, the more at the front of the field the better.
So, you are cool with the cumulative-concussion issue and all the potential it possesses, right?
JCRF217
6/9/2011 5:33pm
If he is healthy, i bet he will be right up to the top, i think he is in better racing condition for outdoors than RV by his showing in practice at hangtown.
3D
6/9/2011 5:44pm
Like Bobby said, I hope he makes the right decision. Maybe since RD had a DNF, he thinks this championship isn't out of reach.
OG-MX-fan
6/9/2011 6:04pm Edited Date/Time 6/9/2011 6:06pm
I definitely do not wish anything bad upon MA800 but history has shown he rarely makes the right decision.
Either on or off the track. That ultimately is what holds him back from actually getting a championship.

I hope he only returns when he is healed up and 100% again.
machine
6/9/2011 6:25pm
I worry that MX is all this family has, with nothing to fall back on. That might make him keep on racing when a better decision would be to hang up his boots and retire before he does some permanent damage with all the concussions.
Overdrive
6/9/2011 6:31pm Edited Date/Time 6/9/2011 6:33pm
Overdrive wrote:
This is Mike Alessi we are talking about, he will be riding. I for one and happy to see it, the more at the front of...
Highsider wrote:
So, you are cool with the cumulative-concussion issue and all the potential it possesses, right?
Last I checked Mike Alessi is a big boy who can take care of himself. He fully understands the risks, if not I am sure he will private message you to get all the details.
Highsider
6/9/2011 6:41pm Edited Date/Time 6/9/2011 6:43pm
Overdrive wrote:
Highsider wrote:
Overdrive wrote:
Last I checked Mike Alessi is a big boy who can take care of himself. He fully understands the risks, if not I am sure he...
Last I checked Mike Alessi is a big boy who can take care of himself. He fully understands the risks, if not I am sure he will private message you to get all the details.
I am not on the Alessi bandwagon.
You didn't answer my question, but let's treat it as rhetorical.
RaceFace
6/9/2011 7:24pm
i dont like how the alessi's do that race day decision stuff...hes either ready or not and its worth it to take the one more week...
i dont like how the alessi's do that race day decision stuff...hes either ready or not and its worth it to take the one more week off if his times in first and second practice are even above top 10...no need to rush.
Agreed. Is there a rush on this? It might be worth taking even 3 more weeks off if he isn't right. The risk is in taking another hit to the head or not. I don't see how that equates into any decision-making process based on how he feels that day. If he feels great and still whacks his head again........not good.
gotwings
6/9/2011 7:41pm
If it were up to me, the decision's been made long ago...
Overdrive
6/10/2011 7:30am
Highsider wrote:
Overdrive wrote:
Last I checked Mike Alessi is a big boy who can take care of himself. He fully understands the risks, if not I am sure he...
Highsider wrote:
I'm not on his bandwagon either, but it would be nice to see him out there racing. I totally understand your point on concussions but I also understand he will do what he wants to. He proved that with his knee injury and that was a bad decision on his part but he doesn't consult me or probably anyone on this board.

So if he feels he is well enough to be on the track who am I to say he isn't. I'm not privy to his private medical discussions and neither are most people commenting on his concussion issues. Thus I will enjoy it for what it is and wish him well, the guy has heart and I commend him for that. I am sure we all wish him good health but we should refrain from telling a grown man what to do with himself.
englishman
6/10/2011 7:35am Edited Date/Time 6/10/2011 7:36am
If you watch that video his head slumps down while he is in the air which seems to cause the crash , almost like he blacked out while in the air . I've watched it a bunch and that's how it appears to me anyway.

That concerns me about his health.

Highsider
6/10/2011 8:13am
Overdrive wrote:
Highsider wrote:
Overdrive wrote:
I'm not on his bandwagon either, but it would be nice to see him out there racing. I totally understand your point on concussions but I...
I'm not on his bandwagon either, but it would be nice to see him out there racing. I totally understand your point on concussions but I also understand he will do what he wants to. He proved that with his knee injury and that was a bad decision on his part but he doesn't consult me or probably anyone on this board.

So if he feels he is well enough to be on the track who am I to say he isn't. I'm not privy to his private medical discussions and neither are most people commenting on his concussion issues. Thus I will enjoy it for what it is and wish him well, the guy has heart and I commend him for that. I am sure we all wish him good health but we should refrain from telling a grown man what to do with himself.
I agree with you. I was at Red Bud in 09 thinking he was going to be the Champion that year. Real bummer, for sure.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
6/10/2011 8:20am
I guess if you have to wait to race day on a concussion recovery, not being able to reach a conclusion sooner, you might be cutting it close. Which might not really be the best thing in this situation.
Sherwood
6/10/2011 8:22am
What else does the kid have to fall back on?
Highsider
6/10/2011 8:31am
I guess if you have to wait to race day on a concussion recovery, not being able to reach a conclusion sooner, you might be cutting...
I guess if you have to wait to race day on a concussion recovery, not being able to reach a conclusion sooner, you might be cutting it close. Which might not really be the best thing in this situation.
That is what I am thinking.
Sherwood
6/10/2011 8:34am
And if he had something to fall back on I'd say sit it out kid, but I don't think he's even got a high school diploma.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
6/10/2011 8:45am
I guess if you have to wait to race day on a concussion recovery, not being able to reach a conclusion sooner, you might be cutting...
This is spot on.

He's in a tough spot, no good results last year, not really good in supercross, terrible results in Australia supercross AND his contract is up this year.

I think he can rebound on the 450 outdoors and build his confidence back up but this was a major setback.

He probably shouldn't ride but will. At least Josh Grant is not out there to put him to the ground again...
Overdrive
6/10/2011 2:21pm
Saying its a race day decision gives him an out if he decides he doesn't feel up to it. No matter what race he came back at we would all be saying is he ready yet. So this is his way of making sure he is up for it by riding practice without the commitment of saying yes I am going to race. He gets time on the track, checks out his health (hopefully with a dr.) and if he isn't up to it nobody is busting his balls for sitting out the rest of the day.

Seems like a perfectly logical thing to say its a race day decision.
Spuds
6/11/2011 6:53am
Anyone know what the race day decision was?
robkinuk
6/11/2011 9:26am
He's listed in practice times so I guess he got the green light to race!
Overdrive
6/11/2011 5:26pm
Looks like his decision turned out just fine, thankfully. Also looks like switching back to the 450 was a decision that has paid off extremely well also. I am sure he is going to get several moto wins and a few overalls. I would be glad to see that cause he has more than paid his dues.

Post a reply to: Mike Alessi Will be a Race Day Decision for High Point

The Latest