Michael Leib's side of the story...

GuyB
Fantasy
1315th
6/14/2013 10:29am Edited Date/Time 6/25/2013 1:32pm
Just spotted this on Michael Leib's Facebook page. Here's his side of the story.

Hello from Italy! I thought it would be best to make a statement since things have gotten pretty interesting over here in Europe. I normally would not do this but I feel that my reputation has been on the line and want to set the record straight before racing for Giraboldi Honda this weekend at the G.P. in Maggiore, Italy.

The Beursfoon Rockstar Suzuki team offered me a verbal racing offer, no contract, for the 2013 GP’s here in Europe. After riding their bike in November I told them it had potential and I would be interested if they could build a bike capable of winning a GP. Months ago the team was presented with the full details of our motor and suspension package. The team insisted that after testing their bike, if I was not happy with the suspension or the motor they had the financial recourses to let me bring in my own suspension and motors, “this would not be an issue”.

I am 100% healthy and was able to ride 2 - 35 minute motos per day before I flew to Holland to test and prepare to race the French GP and was disappointed to find that the race motor was not ready and rode a close to stock motorcycle that was unacceptable. We agreed not to race the French GP. The following week the race motor was ready and I was looking forward to what it would do on the track. I was disappointed with the performance and mechanical issues we were faced with. My mechanic Roel, was working non-stop to correct all of the problems. Thank you for that Roel!

After almost three weeks of being in Holland and riding sub-par equipment that continually didn’t last more than 25 minutes and no explanation of what was wrong, I was unable to get them to agree to get my motors and suspension here.

On this past Monday we left for the 17 hour drive to Italy, I was unsettled about the situation to say the least, having little confidence since the team would not agree to do what they promised to do, to make this a competitive bike, this “was now an issue.”
15 hours into the trip, I talked to the team owner and he informed me that he was not going to consider even trying my motor, period. I told him that was not our deal and that I did not feel confident that I could race their bikes. He then turned the hauler around back to Holland and they dropped me off at the airport, thus terminating our agreement. Pretty upsetting.

While I was at the airport in Germany for roughly 8 hours trying to figure out what I was going to do with the rest of my life, I contacted every available race contact in Europe looking for a ride, there was nothing. At that point I looked into booking a flight home. A good friend here in Italy persuaded me to go the GP and shake hands before heading home to be sure there wasn’t another opportunity for me. I agreed to fly to Milan.

On Wednesday, Beursfoon Rockstar Suzuki released a press release stating, “we are immediately terminating our cooperation with Leib”..,

Now for the crazy part, John the team owner at Buersfoon Rockstar Suzuki, plans on suing me and is here in Italy demanding I pay him money or he will file a restraining order blocking me from riding. He has also communicated with every team he could reach telling them what a horrible person I am. He also demanded Youthstream not grant me an entry to race.

It's a shame, It's simply a matter of me standing up for what we discussed earlier in the year. Their bike is not competitive – they did not take the steps necessary to make it competitive. The level of performance that I'll be racing against is very high and Buersfoon Rockstar Suzuki knew full well that the only reason I agreed to race their bike was if it was really good.

I was given an opportunity to a last minute test with Girabadi Honda to see of there was a possible fit. I met with the team, I rode their bike, liked the bike and the whole team. I have agreed to race this weekend.

As I write this John from Buersfoon Rockstar Suzuki is here at the track with his lawyer trying to stop me from racing.
I just got word that the red #80 will be racing this weekend. Thank you Youthstream, AMA, Giraboldi Honda, Josh Pitts, Andrea Giradello, family, friends, and fans!

Ciao!
|
boybuc
6/14/2013 10:46am
Good Luck my friend hope you kill it this weekend
DonM
6/14/2013 10:47am
What is it with these 2nd tier teams in Europe and American riders having issues? This is not the first time and it always seems to come down to promises made (not contracted) and the failure to deliver what was discussed or promised.
It always goes back to "if it's not in writing it's probably not going to happen".
I'm also confused how these riders are willing to go halfway around the world on a handshake deal.
Bad deal all around,
I hope Michael can get something long term as it seams he really wants to race the GP's and hey I may even pay to watch the race this weekend now!
jasonv43
6/14/2013 10:53am
Good for him. Hope it works out.
kongols
6/14/2013 10:56am
Is this the truth or is it still out there...

The Shop

englishman
6/14/2013 10:57am
DonM wrote:
What is it with these 2nd tier teams in Europe and American riders having issues? This is not the first time and it always seems to...
What is it with these 2nd tier teams in Europe and American riders having issues? This is not the first time and it always seems to come down to promises made (not contracted) and the failure to deliver what was discussed or promised.
It always goes back to "if it's not in writing it's probably not going to happen".
I'm also confused how these riders are willing to go halfway around the world on a handshake deal.
Bad deal all around,
I hope Michael can get something long term as it seams he really wants to race the GP's and hey I may even pay to watch the race this weekend now!
Not just Americans remember Musquins shitty Honda deal before he went to KTM ?

Too many shysters, liars & backstabbers in this sport.
kongols
6/14/2013 11:00am
DonM wrote:
What is it with these 2nd tier teams in Europe and American riders having issues? This is not the first time and it always seems to...
Bad deal all around,
DonM wrote: What is it with these 2nd tier teams in Europe and American riders having issues? This is not the first time and it always seems to come down to promises made (not contracted) and the failure to deliver what was discussed or promised.

I can go on and on about American 2nd tier riders and their performance in Europe.
DrSweden
6/14/2013 11:02am
Holy crap, what a mess. Hope everything works out. Crazy when good riders that want to ride, don't.
ehr400
6/14/2013 11:22am
Well considering they did this to Mike Brown twice, Ryan Hughes, Sean Hamblin I think it is a valid track record.

I mean Mike stayed with Husky riding a slow bike for a long time. He knows what a non competitve bike will do against good ones.
Underdog999
6/14/2013 11:25am
The moral to the story: ALWAYS get it in writing!
DonM
6/14/2013 11:25am
DonM wrote:
Bad deal all around,
kongols wrote:
DonM wrote: What is it with these 2nd tier teams in Europe and American riders having issues? This is not the first time and it always...
DonM wrote: What is it with these 2nd tier teams in Europe and American riders having issues? This is not the first time and it always seems to come down to promises made (not contracted) and the failure to deliver what was discussed or promised.

I can go on and on about American 2nd tier riders and their performance in Europe.
I think I was making a point about teams not fulfilling what they agreed to do...nothing about rider performance.
If a team says and agrees to do something then they need to follow through with their promises...seems to happen a lot over there.
kongols
6/14/2013 11:27am
We can officially declare Americans riding GP`s has been complete fiasco. Let`s hope RV keeps his word and comes over in a couple of years.
englishman
6/14/2013 11:27am
ehr400 wrote:
Well considering they did this to Mike Brown twice, Ryan Hughes, Sean Hamblin I think it is a valid track record. I mean Mike stayed with...
Well considering they did this to Mike Brown twice, Ryan Hughes, Sean Hamblin I think it is a valid track record.

I mean Mike stayed with Husky riding a slow bike for a long time. He knows what a non competitve bike will do against good ones.
What did "they" do to those 3 guys ?
SethGator
6/14/2013 11:35am
not leib, but...

DL
6/14/2013 11:39am
Michael's race bike as it went through tech inspection today.
kongols
6/14/2013 11:44am Edited Date/Time 6/14/2013 11:46am
Now that there is two American riders in MX2 will they feel more at home and get a top5 and top3 or even challenge Herlings as it was predicted before season started? They are both on a near factory rides.
steve_97060
6/14/2013 11:45am
kongols wrote:
We can officially declare Americans riding GP`s has been complete fiasco. Let`s hope RV keeps his word and comes over in a couple of years.
nice to know you were promoted to the official spokesperson for the GP's...
gnarwhip
6/14/2013 11:49am
I've dealt with some Italians in the recent years, and this sounds about right.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4103rd
6/14/2013 11:52am
I don't really get the shabby level of documenting deals that seems to come up regularly in the sport, and especially documenting protections for riders. Sometimes a lawyer is cheaper than an agent at the front end, and the lawyer certainly is more likely to be more expensive at the back end when things unravel. I understand people don't want to contemplate things going south when everyone is grins and giggle at the front end of a deal, but it's really important. If the parties are in good faith, it's not an issue and they clarify whether in fact they understand the deal terms in the same sense. If one party start the shy away, then that's a warning flag; in the end you don't want to work with someone you don't want to work with.
DonM
6/14/2013 11:53am
kongols wrote:
Now that there is two American riders in MX2 will they feel more at home and get a top5 and top3 or even challenge Herlings as...
Now that there is two American riders in MX2 will they feel more at home and get a top5 and top3 or even challenge Herlings as it was predicted before season started? They are both on a near factory rides.
Anybody that expected Jimmy D to do any better than he did in the US was uninformed and dreaming...now Leib we all know has the ability it's just a matter of how ready he is.
kongols
6/14/2013 11:54am
gnarwhip wrote: I've dealt with some Italians in the recent years, and this sounds about right.

Italian , dutch . What`s the difference , right?
Shawn142
6/14/2013 12:08pm Edited Date/Time 6/14/2013 12:10pm
kongols wrote:
Whow whow there champ, let's back that down a hair. His word? He mentioned it in passing, but I imagine he'll walk away from the sport when his 3 year contract with Kawi is up and hardly ride another day in his life.

And yes, Leib is coming over there to slap that hot dog out of your hand and spit on your shoes. This is 'Merica son.
toomey706
6/14/2013 12:09pm
When there are unfulfilled contracts, and a team elects to terminate a contract, they cannot restrain you from making a living. They cannot file a TRO on behalf of anything outside of their interests either, ie Youth Stream/ FIM/ AMA events. That being said, I know I am only getting one side but have seen this before.

Gotta fight, and if you're not wrong, don't let him make you think you are. Go win and prove the Bafoon Suzuki shit sucks. LOL
burn1986
Fantasy
3264th
6/14/2013 12:12pm
I would be interesting to see if other riders have had similar experiences with Buersfoon.
Choppy
6/14/2013 12:21pm Edited Date/Time 6/14/2013 12:23pm
toomey706 wrote:
When there are unfulfilled contracts, and a team elects to terminate a contract, they cannot restrain you from making a living. They cannot file a TRO...
When there are unfulfilled contracts, and a team elects to terminate a contract, they cannot restrain you from making a living. They cannot file a TRO on behalf of anything outside of their interests either, ie Youth Stream/ FIM/ AMA events. That being said, I know I am only getting one side but have seen this before.

Gotta fight, and if you're not wrong, don't let him make you think you are. Go win and prove the Bafoon Suzuki shit sucks. LOL
It feels like I've heard this story for the 7th time with Leib. Right or wrong after x amount of times a rider gets screwed/make a bad deal I kind of just say, "again? Are they not learning?"

I know I shouldn't and might be an ass for saying that, but I do.

Honestly though, and I have 0 idea of his Honda deal, but it looks like he came out smelling like a rose as it looks like he did get a good bike. He has the talent, I think all he needs is a consistent program for more than a year.

It's a good family and a good kid so I really hope this works out and we don't get another "PR" announcement.
6/14/2013 12:24pm
DonM wrote:
Bad deal all around,
englishman wrote:

Brown was at Cas and they had a reputation for not paying riders, still owe Crockard money I believe, I think Brownie was n the same boat.
Ryno and PAMO had issues but was 1999 so too long ago to remember.
Hamblin had sub par equipment, didn't get through many test days at the track in the week without bike stopping after a lap or two. Had a 2 year deal but team didn't keep him the second year even though FOX/SHIF stepped up their money to keep him in Europe.
Jimmy Albertson had problems with Martin
Leib had issues with Husky, although bike related, they did pay up.
Then the Leib CLS deal which was settled out of court.

Basically the Euro teams rely on the fact the riders they pick do not have the resources (money and knowledge) to sue them in European court. Especially when the teams are all incorporated in countries like Luxembourg where the law is on their side.
jeffro503
6/14/2013 12:27pm
kongols wrote:
What? When did RV state that he was going over there in a few years? His plan from what I have heard was to retire completely at the end of this 3yr contract he has going now. Meaning at the end of 2015....he's a free man.

I think he mentioned it was a possibility.....but never said he was going.
PressPassP
6/14/2013 12:32pm
burn1986 wrote:
I would be interesting to see if other riders have had similar experiences with Buersfoon.
Mike Kras is on the team this year,he seems to be getting on ok,podium in Dutch open MX1 at Rhenen :

1 Shaun Simpson GB TM 2-1
2 Tanel Leok Est Honda 1-2
3 Mike Kras NL Suzuki 3-3

Anyhow that's 2 sides to the story,there's usually 3 as they say but I guess we won't get that one,meanwhile Good luck to Michael and Jeff at the weekend!
uamoto211
6/14/2013 12:36pm
Seriously!! Best of luck to him this weekend, hopefully things turn around for him over there.
mototrader
6/14/2013 12:38pm
DonM wrote:
Bad deal all around,
englishman wrote:

109 wrote:
Brown was at Cas and they had a reputation for not paying riders, still owe Crockard money I believe, I think Brownie was n the same...
Brown was at Cas and they had a reputation for not paying riders, still owe Crockard money I believe, I think Brownie was n the same boat.
Ryno and PAMO had issues but was 1999 so too long ago to remember.
Hamblin had sub par equipment, didn't get through many test days at the track in the week without bike stopping after a lap or two. Had a 2 year deal but team didn't keep him the second year even though FOX/SHIF stepped up their money to keep him in Europe.
Jimmy Albertson had problems with Martin
Leib had issues with Husky, although bike related, they did pay up.
Then the Leib CLS deal which was settled out of court.

Basically the Euro teams rely on the fact the riders they pick do not have the resources (money and knowledge) to sue them in European court. Especially when the teams are all incorporated in countries like Luxembourg where the law is on their side.
makes sense..someone earlier commented about musquin getting a crappy ride w/ a team that fielded hondas..makes sense..pretty sure musquin is about as far from royality as it gets
Insider347
6/14/2013 12:38pm
Hey Kongols, please stop before you keep looking more like a douche (if that's even possible). Maybe Stewie can go race the GPs and then your wet dreams can become real and you would just go away. I mean really, it's painful to read a thread when you chime in.

Post a reply to: Michael Leib's side of the story...

The Latest