Metzger

mx295
Edited Date/Time 5/15/2014 9:47pm
Looks like all the injuries Mike has had are finally catching up with him. Hope he finds something that makes him happy. Btw He doesn't even own a dirt bike now
|
JW381
5/15/2014 9:54am
On one hand it's sad and you feel for the guy, but on the other hand I'm sure Metz doesn't regret any of it. He was a badass on a dirtbike and was one of the most important guys to an entire movement of motorcycle culture. We may not like the whole FMX thing, but you're a fag if you don't like watching Metzger do work in the old Crusty and Terrafirma vids. I hope things turn around for him.
Frodad78
5/15/2014 10:00am
Fuck thats a bummer. Good luck to him, I'll always remember him busting out new tricks on the cover of Dirt Rider one year. Shit blew my mind.
Mxdnusa
5/15/2014 10:07am
Hey KTM, put the Godfather to work.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
5/15/2014 10:08am

The Shop

JM485
5/15/2014 10:14am
Damn, that is really sad to hear. I always enjoyed watching the old videos as a kid because it looked like he brought so much energy and excitement to riding. Always seemed like a really cool dude as well. I didn't realize he was that bad off now, major bummer.

The one time I saw him in person was when they had the FMX shows during intermission at supercross, I think for only one year? My friends and I were in the pits at SF when we heard someone pulling some crazy wheelies on a two stroke. We ran over and lined the fence that separates the rider entrance/exit and the pits and watched him rip around in the parking lot. Afterward, he came through the entrance and pulled another wheelie about six inches away from us! Nothing too crazy, but I'll never forget that! I have a video of it somewhere, I just have to find it.
newmann
5/15/2014 10:32am
Always liked Metzger, seems like a cool guy. Funny shit, his infomercial about the creditors. "They can't kill you!"
40Plus_922mx
5/15/2014 10:46am Edited Date/Time 5/15/2014 10:55am
Simple answer. He needs to have a sit down with Brian Deegan and get his own brand going just like Deegan has done with Metal Mulisha and then license it out to toys, clothing, shoes, gear etc.

I'd bet this estimate is much more today.
hvaughn88
5/15/2014 10:50am Edited Date/Time 5/15/2014 10:54am
Simple answer. He needs to have a sit down with Brian Deegan and get his own brand going just like Deegan has done with Metal Mulisha...
Simple answer. He needs to have a sit down with Brian Deegan and get his own brand going just like Deegan has done with Metal Mulisha and then license it out to toys, clothing, shoes, gear etc.

I think that could have been very profitable about 10 years ago. Unfortunately, I think the window for that has passed. I doubt most of the age demographic that would wear or play with his brand probably don't have a clue who he is, which is sad.

Edit: just for the record, those images weren't there when I quoted that post.
mx295
5/15/2014 10:51am
Simple answer. He needs to have a sit down with Brian Deegan and get his own brand going just like Deegan has done with Metal Mulisha...

He tried that in the late 90s with Warpt
mxfiend
5/15/2014 10:53am
sad to hear... hes def. a cool dude i met him at glen helen one year. i was probably 11 or 12 and he had a trailer set up outside the pits. he was mid story with another guy but could tell i was there for his autograph... he looked at me told me pull up a chair and waited until the other guy was done talking signed my goggles and talked with me for 5 mins..
pretty cool i thought
40Plus_922mx
5/15/2014 10:59am

mx295 wrote:
There is always a market as long as people are being born. Just have to figure out where that market is as far as relevant products.

He can start with grass roots exposure. Meaning, he needs to get his personality on TV again. Truck racing etc. Then if he can get exposure he can begin to market his brand. Doesn't have to be warpt.
hvaughn88
5/15/2014 11:03am Edited Date/Time 5/15/2014 11:03am
There is always a market as long as people are being born. Just have to figure out where that market is as far as relevant products...
There is always a market as long as people are being born. Just have to figure out where that market is as far as relevant products.

He can start with grass roots exposure. Meaning, he needs to get his personality on TV again. Truck racing etc. Then if he can get exposure he can begin to market his brand. Doesn't have to be warpt.
First of all, I would imagine deegan is worth more than that. Second, the difference in my eyes is that Deegan's company has been going at it for a very long time. It's not like all this popped up in the last couple years. I think deegan and his company are still benefiting from the image that has been well-established. Starting that from "scratch" more or less, would be very difficult with the state of things these days.
JordanB
5/15/2014 11:15am
newmann wrote:
Always liked Metzger, seems like a cool guy. Funny shit, his infomercial about the creditors. "They can't kill you!"
Nicest guys and humble as hell away from bikes in person.

Nothing was cooler than watching him backflip at X in Jersey I think it was, grab another gear and Brrraaaaaap backflip the 2nd 85 foot double.

At that time, I doubt think he even believed that happened.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
5/15/2014 12:02pm

mx295 wrote:
Warpt wasn't his, his cousins.

Sucks to see this, hope he isn't in pain every damn day!
Old-Man
5/15/2014 12:57pm
Dude had no fear thats for sure.

40Plus_922mx
5/15/2014 1:01pm
There is always a market as long as people are being born. Just have to figure out where that market is as far as relevant products...

hvaughn88 wrote:
First of all, I would imagine deegan is worth more than that. Second, the difference in my eyes is that Deegan's company has been going at...
First of all, I would imagine deegan is worth more than that. Second, the difference in my eyes is that Deegan's company has been going at it for a very long time. It's not like all this popped up in the last couple years. I think deegan and his company are still benefiting from the image that has been well-established. Starting that from "scratch" more or less, would be very difficult with the state of things these days.
"First of all, I would imagine Deegan is worth more than that. "
Yes I agree. I even notated that in my original reply. You musta missed that part?

"Second, the difference in my eyes is that Deegan's company has been going at it for a very long time. It's not like all this popped up in the last couple years."
And you would be correct. This fact is proof it can be done.

"I think Deegan and his company are still benefiting from the image that has been well-established. Starting that from "scratch" more or less, would be very difficult with the state of things these days. "
Well, this is of course your opinion. And you are rightly entitled to have it. But this is also the main reason people fail to achieve. They look at the things in this manner. In today's world it is who you know. So the sit down with Deegan would be with the intention to set up those crucial contacts and go from there. You set up the marketing structure {including those contacts}. So in effect your system for success is in place before you begin. This is EVERYTHING. The reason why it took Deegan so long is because, as you stated he started from scratch with out these contacts. Once he built his brand then they would "talk to him" so to speak. So yes, he did all the hard work before. This is not a roll of the dice by any means. It is a sure thing (nearly) when done with the right people.
JordanB
5/15/2014 1:08pm
Metz has started many shops, clothes, and other ventures.

He probably made more from the commercials Newman mentioned.
hvaughn88
5/15/2014 1:12pm

hvaughn88 wrote:
First of all, I would imagine deegan is worth more than that. Second, the difference in my eyes is that Deegan's company has been going at...
[b]"First of all, I would imagine Deegan is worth more than that. "[/b] Yes I agree. I even notated that in my original reply. You musta...
Yes I agree. I even notated that in my original reply. You musta missed that part?

"Second, the difference in my eyes is that Deegan's company has been going at it for a very long time. It's not like all this popped up in the last couple years."

"I think Deegan and his company are still benefiting from the image that has been well-established. Starting that from "scratch" more or less, would be very difficult with the state of things these days. "
Well, this is of course your opinion. And you are rightly entitled to have it. But this is also the main reason people fail to achieve. They look at the things in this manner. In today's world it is who you know. So the sit down with Deegan would be with the intention to set up those crucial contacts and go from there. You set up the marketing structure {including those contacts}. So in effect your system for success is in place before you begin. This is EVERYTHING. The reason why it took Deegan so long is because, as you stated he started from scratch with out these contacts. Once he built his brand then they would "talk to him" so to speak. So yes, he did all the hard work before. This is not a roll of the dice by any means. It is a sure thing (nearly) when done with the right people.
First, Yes, I did miss the part where you stated he is probably worth more than that. But in my defense, your statement is buried between a plethora of other pictures.
Second, just because something can be done once, doesn't necessarily mean it can or would be duplicated.
Lastly, Why exactly would deegan want to set someone up to compete with his own brand?
But I appreciate your thoughts I will surely "fail to succeed" for having this viewpoint. I would argue that starting any business venture is a roll of the dice and never a "sure thing." That doesn't mean it shouldn't be done, but it doesn't hurt to be realistic when evaluating the plausibility of something.

Anyhoo, I don't really care to argue about a hypothetical situation any further.
newmann
5/15/2014 3:03pm
newmann wrote:
JordanB wrote:
Nicest guys and humble as hell away from bikes in person. Nothing was cooler than watching him backflip at X in Jersey I think it was...

Nothing was cooler than watching him backflip at X in Jersey I think it was, grab another gear and Brrraaaaaap backflip the 2nd 85 foot double.

That shit was huge when he did it. I about fell out of my chair when he hit the second one.
dynohut
5/15/2014 3:37pm
Great rider and showman and a very down to earth humble dude, he had all day long to hang and bench race with the kids every time he was in Colorado doing stunts or racing supermoto at copper mountain. He will dial it in just like the rest of us busted up knuckle heads, I know I have no regrets getting my busted up body out of bed every morning for work
40Plus_922mx
5/15/2014 4:16pm
hvaughn88 wrote:
[b]"First of all, I would imagine Deegan is worth more than that. "[/b] Yes I agree. I even notated that in my original reply. You musta...

hvaughn88 wrote:
First, Yes, I did miss the part where you stated he is probably worth more than that. But in my defense, your statement is buried between...
First, Yes, I did miss the part where you stated he is probably worth more than that. But in my defense, your statement is buried between a plethora of other pictures.
Second, just because something can be done once, doesn't necessarily mean it can or would be duplicated.
Lastly, Why exactly would deegan want to set someone up to compete with his own brand?
But I appreciate your thoughts I will surely "fail to succeed" for having this viewpoint. I would argue that starting any business venture is a roll of the dice and never a "sure thing." That doesn't mean it shouldn't be done, but it doesn't hurt to be realistic when evaluating the plausibility of something.

Anyhoo, I don't really care to argue about a hypothetical situation any further.
LoL. It's cool I wasn't trying to argue really. Just correct you.
Flatliner
5/15/2014 4:20pm
I'm not sure if it's like this everywhere, but up here guys who have no idea what mx is wear mulisha clothes. From hats to hoodies it's very common walking through the mall.
Regis
Fantasy
292nd
5/15/2014 4:59pm
newmann wrote:
JordanB wrote:
Nicest guys and humble as hell away from bikes in person. Nothing was cooler than watching him backflip at X in Jersey I think it was...

newmann wrote:
That shit was huge when he did it. I about fell out of my chair when he hit the second one.
Philadelphia.

I was there in person (judging the event) and it was absolutely insane. In the first round, he did one flip and the place went nuts. For the final, word was he was going to the two flips. Everyone was on pins and needles. He hit it so smooth. Couldn't have been done better.

Metz and I didn't see eye to eye a few times as the rider and a judge, but I sure did and still do respect the way he scratched and clawed his way to the top and reinvented himself time and time again.
Regis
Fantasy
292nd
5/15/2014 5:00pm Edited Date/Time 5/15/2014 5:02pm
Flatliner wrote:
I'm not sure if it's like this everywhere, but up here guys who have no idea what mx is wear mulisha clothes. From hats to hoodies...
I'm not sure if it's like this everywhere, but up here guys who have no idea what mx is wear mulisha clothes. From hats to hoodies it's very common walking through the mall.
Mulish was in Nordstrom for a while.

It grew into a major brand way farther beyond the MX world.
motoracer633
5/15/2014 5:30pm
Flatliner wrote:
I'm not sure if it's like this everywhere, but up here guys who have no idea what mx is wear mulisha clothes. From hats to hoodies...
Regis wrote:
Mulish was in Nordstrom for a while.

It grew into a major brand way farther beyond the MX world.
Always enjoy your stories. I was an A rider in the midwest trying to make nats and sx's in the 90's. Heard alot and saw a little and i think we partied just as hard and rode every day as well. Good times were had by all!
turbotime
5/15/2014 7:59pm Edited Date/Time 5/15/2014 8:11pm
[quote="Regis"]Metz and I didn't see eye to eye a few times as the rider and a judge[/quote]

No offense. But freestyle judging used to be a popularity contest(maybe it still is?). TP got a 95% for repeatedly performing nothing but backflips over and over during a qualifying round? Nobody should ever question the Godfather about anything freestyle related. Travis ended up being legit. But he was only widely accepted at the age of 12, after Metzger gave him the nod in Terrafirma 3.

On a side note, anyone ever see the bonus footage of Metzger at the end of one of the terrafirma movies? Maybe the third? Was at some supercross overseas and Metz was crashing/throwing the bike all over the place. Crowd was going insane. Quite possibly one of the best clips I've ever seen in a moto-related movie. Wish I had that video.
Regis
Fantasy
292nd
5/15/2014 8:18pm Edited Date/Time 5/15/2014 8:20pm
mx295 wrote:
Looks like all the injuries Mike has had are finally catching up with him. Hope he finds something that makes him happy. Btw He doesn't even...
Looks like all the injuries Mike has had are finally catching up with him. Hope he finds something that makes him happy. Btw He doesn't even own a dirt bike now
Popularity contest?

No. Well maybe, back in the very, very beginning.

No offense taken, but you (and lots of others) have no idea what goes into trying to judge a sport that is like judging surfing or any "free" sport for that matter. Where it is really a matter of opinion and not facts.

However, in any judged sport opinions will differ from judges to riders, riders to riders or even fans to both riders and judges.

But this thread is about Metz, judging is a whole other topic.

Metz was and still is a legend and was very influential in how contests were judged as well. He was very vocal and his voice was heavier than others when it came to figuring it all out. I hope he gets squared away and gets some payback for all that blood sweat and tears he poured into the sport he helped create.
rolandk
5/15/2014 8:21pm
Metz is a guy I have the utmost respect for and I hope he gets back on his feet.
willie838
5/15/2014 9:42pm Edited Date/Time 5/15/2014 9:43pm
i'm so damn old i met him at unadilla in the 90s when fmx was in it's infancy. he was racing a privateer #387 iirc.

super nice guy. never heard anyone say anything bad about him. It's a bummer that the fallout from his riding career has ended his other life passion which was tattooing (and also probably damaged his ability to draw in general as well).

this shit bums me out.

the other story over the last few years was racerx trying to track brian swink down for an interview and he was a divorced, struggling heavy equipment operator.

just flat out vanquished me illusions of $ and security for pro riders. Swink wasn't exactly a ham and egger and he was struggling mightily. long pro career and just back to blue collar dozer running.

Sad

wishing success for metz somewhere in the industry- paying him back for the goodwill he put out there would be a great action.
5/15/2014 9:47pm

Thought that's what his "Mob Syndicate" brand is?

I can't believe he doesn't have a lot of money saved with everything he made from freestyle. I remember when he was one of the first guys flipping and couldn't believe how much he was rumored to get paid to flip! He had to make over a million in his career, don't you think?

I can relate to the back pain and not a second of every day that goes by, I have lower back pain due to breaking my back and a currently have a torn disc that is ruining my life! The Doctors say only a full disc replacement will fix me but my insurance doesn't cover it! I have lots of bad thought many times a week on how to end this pain…..

Hasn't he broke his back over 5 times?

Post a reply to: Metzger

The Latest