Metal Mesh behind Start Gate MXGP 2017

colorado2day
MXGP in 2017 will introduce Metal Mesh behind the start gate, replacing dirt, which will end rider prep of their start gate slot. According to Guiseppe Luongo "It will Give all riders the same grip at the start, in all wether conditions, it makes it more equal for the riders". Wonder how long before the rocket scientists at MX Sports catch on ?
|
11/6/2016 1:11am
I don't feel this idea. First of all I think dirt starts and prepping them yourself is a part on the sport. Then, making it more equal to all the riders kind of makes qualifying a bit less important. And I believe this will actually make starts less equal at least for a while, since I would imagine there won't be many places to practice starting from the mesh, which gives an advantage to those that will get a chance to practice starting from the mesh.
11/6/2016 1:48am Edited Date/Time 11/6/2016 1:49am
If you want to make the start fair for everyone then get rid of the dumbass qualifying races.
Crush
11/6/2016 2:01am
Isn't part of the skill in getting a good start regardless of ruts etc...
downard254
11/6/2016 2:28am
Come on guys. Just like in NASCAR (which I don't watch), no one can have an unfair advantage. We must level the playing field somehow so that everyone can battle for first the entire duration of the race.Pinch

The Shop

Bultaco
11/6/2016 2:40am
Comes under the heading of "Fixing things that ain't broke".
philG
11/6/2016 2:49am
You need to look at the first turn placement more than anything, i dont think this is a bad thing , but its only going to change things for 6 feet, the other side of the gate will still be the same, the best place will be the best place.

What it will stop it people pinching a better prepped gate after the sight lap, and all the faffing that goes with it.
brimx153
11/6/2016 3:05am
End of the day ,the only reason they are doing this is to have less work to do. its easy put down a mesh and just forget about it then , no more prep.Has nothing to do with ,making it a fairer start imo
jpmoney57
11/6/2016 3:19am
So what are the rules when it comes to MXDN? Any rider that doesn't Race grand prix's will be screwed at the start...
Bearuno
11/6/2016 4:34am Edited Date/Time 11/6/2016 4:43am
jpmoney57 wrote:
So what are the rules when it comes to MXDN? Any rider that doesn't Race grand prix's will be screwed at the start...
It didn't seem to be a problem at the MEC. And, a whole lot more riders than just MXGP / EMX regulars will not be using metal mesh starts throughout their various season's, prior to the MXDN. And, I'd be surprised if the Brit team riders (you're Brit, I think?) are not regular GP / EMX riders .

I don't think it will be an issue. As others have said, it may well help stop the rat bastard trick of letting another rider prep a gate, then having it 'stolen', by said Rat Bastard.

Hell, variations on that theme, Mesh, but more often wire on wood, have been used for many years in Special Test starts in many, many Off Road events, World Wide.

Arni
11/6/2016 4:56am
I saw Canadiens using similar approach in their chapmionship this year.

Also some indoor races...

I think it's a good thing. The goal of any promoter, or race organiser should be, to cut the race length as much as possible, so now we wont see that stupid gardening at startline before every race. And riders will have at least 15 min more to prepare the bikes and relax.

Ramrod
Fantasy
1692nd
11/6/2016 5:07am
MXGP in 2017 will introduce Metal Mesh behind the start gate, replacing dirt, which will end rider prep of their start gate slot. According to Guiseppe...
MXGP in 2017 will introduce Metal Mesh behind the start gate, replacing dirt, which will end rider prep of their start gate slot. According to Guiseppe Luongo "It will Give all riders the same grip at the start, in all wether conditions, it makes it more equal for the riders". Wonder how long before the rocket scientists at MX Sports catch on ?
Is your remark at mxsports made as sarcasm?
SPYGUY
Fantasy
748th
11/6/2016 5:42am
On the latest Pulp it was said that SX is using the metal grating next year.
500guy
11/6/2016 5:54am
They had concrete start pads at some National then went back to dirt, not sure the reason.

I think it makes sense in SX for several reasons , outdoors maybe not so much.
hvaughn88
11/6/2016 6:22am Edited Date/Time 11/6/2016 6:23am
As a fan wanting to see close racing, I think it's an awesome idea if it levels the playing field off the gate. Think about it, with dirt gates, the fastest guy in qualifying gets the first gate pick, which is typically the best gate, which in turn gives the fastest guy the best start, which then makes it easier for the race to be a runaway.

Now with that being said, I completely understand why people don't like the idea. But I'm speaking solely from a fan's perspective and a fan that wants to be entertained with close racing.
hillbilly
11/6/2016 6:30am
A track here had mesh,zero wheel spin.

I liked it,but can't think where it was at the moment, bent mind last nite,whoa.
MxRyder
11/6/2016 6:47am Edited Date/Time 11/7/2016 7:00am
Not a fan, except for perhaps where events like MEC had a huge downhill start....i see that as being safer and giving each rider the oppertunity to keep it pretty even on such a differant starting opition like the huge fast downhill start at MEC...i also think that as well as differant dirt and various obstacle changes throughtout a series id like to see some rounds have concrete start and some have dirt....our sport should be full of differant things to keep us on our toes......the ability for riders to have to adapt is needed in a sport like Mx & Sx...creativity is essential in dirt compositions, technical opitions....and id like to see more step ups.....step downs....combination sections....things to challenge riders....im a huge fan of switckbacks and of the large hips on the inside of turns.....sand sections.....dragons backs.....be nice to see the big old short faced to large camelbacks again....so some change is good......but dirt and concrete should be the gate options unless theirs a issue with large declines from the start then i can see the use of mesh......not to mention the mesh is gonna destroy a fresh tire...and have a negitive effect with possiability of knobs been sheared off, causing loss of traction in the coming laps
HenryA
11/6/2016 7:11am
On the downside: Dungey said that it's very easy to shred your rear tire on it
Berm
Fantasy
136th
11/6/2016 7:16am Edited Date/Time 11/6/2016 7:17am
Big fan of the idea.

I love the idea of a concrete start, except for the fact that it's concrete and sucks to burn a new sand tire on a concrete start given it won't wear out anywhere else. I think the grate is a great choice and allows flexibility in the starting area s since you don't have to have concrete that isn't easily/cheaply moved.

If what HenryA says is true (via Dungey), then I guess I wouldn't be so keen on the idea.
Johnny Ringo
11/6/2016 7:34am
Good lord you guys are really opposed to ANY changes to the sport.

All sports tweak things to help the sport grow. Moto hasn't grown because we're stuck in 1980.
lestat
11/6/2016 8:26am
It will be the same for everybody . Not a problem .
_smashmouth
11/6/2016 9:11am
So will it run beyond the gate? You can still have a huge cupped out spot where the metal ends which in theory doesn't change much.
colorado2day
11/6/2016 10:44am
MXGP in 2017 will introduce Metal Mesh behind the start gate, replacing dirt, which will end rider prep of their start gate slot. According to Guiseppe...
Ramrod wrote:
Yes Sarcasm. When was the last time MX Sports innovated ? How long till they take a page from the Euros and have a 2 stroke class at the Nationals for kids ? Euros have a Honda 150 and two 2 stroke classes. MX Sports will claim they cant fit it into the day with TV.

It will be interesting to see how this Meal Mesh plays out. What size grid ? What Gauge wire will they use ? Is it easily transportable ? Or will every track have their own Mesh and will it be the same type ? Do they carry it over in front of the Gate ?
Katoomey
11/6/2016 10:47am
I don't feel this idea. First of all I think dirt starts and prepping them yourself is a part on the sport. Then, making it more...
I don't feel this idea. First of all I think dirt starts and prepping them yourself is a part on the sport. Then, making it more equal to all the riders kind of makes qualifying a bit less important. And I believe this will actually make starts less equal at least for a while, since I would imagine there won't be many places to practice starting from the mesh, which gives an advantage to those that will get a chance to practice starting from the mesh.
everything is "a part of the sport", until it is no longer "a part of the sport". that isn't an argument.
_smashmouth
11/6/2016 10:55am
Ramrod wrote:
Yes Sarcasm. When was the last time MX Sports innovated ? How long till they take a page from the Euros and have a 2 stroke...
Yes Sarcasm. When was the last time MX Sports innovated ? How long till they take a page from the Euros and have a 2 stroke class at the Nationals for kids ? Euros have a Honda 150 and two 2 stroke classes. MX Sports will claim they cant fit it into the day with TV.

It will be interesting to see how this Meal Mesh plays out. What size grid ? What Gauge wire will they use ? Is it easily transportable ? Or will every track have their own Mesh and will it be the same type ? Do they carry it over in front of the Gate ?
That's my question, does it extend past the gate or not, I feel like that would play a lot into if it makes it "fair" or not. I feel like to make each gate "even" it would have to be at a minimum 3-6 ft beyond the gate.
MBR
11/6/2016 10:58am
Check out the grip Reed's Yamaha has from the slow motion video I shot MEC press day.MEC press start
Markee
Fantasy
1941st
11/6/2016 11:03am
The point of the grating, is the consistency. Chad Reed brought up the point that the dirt isn't always created equal despite gate pick.

You will always have a rut/line after the grating unless its carried out way past the gate which I don't see happening.

Add grating take away start hooks. Some of these midgets in our sport probably couldn't even touch the ground with out the hook.
11/6/2016 12:04pm
No doubt it's partly to improve things with some of the benefits already mentioned , I'd say there's a TV broadcasting angle with it too , Lisa on many an occasion is all over the place finding riders for pre race interviews , with them moving about , prepping gates or behind with their mechanic s . No gate prep can have all the riders in a proper designated place ready for the TV crews
steve_97060
11/6/2016 12:22pm
because we need change to grow this sport, I suggest,

for SX they should make a standard length of grating, say 15 feet behind the starting gate and then get rid of the gate drop and replace it with lights similar to drag racing.

then each bike could have a hook like attachment to the frame and the grating would have a catapult system similar to an aircraft carrier. the bikes would launch from the rear of the grating with the mechanic in charge of actually initiating the launch when the lights change to green. the rider would no longer have to worry about timing the gate drop and would just rely on his mechanics reflexes.

they would just fly out of the gate like a bull rider leaving the shute. 22 bikes side by side into the first corner.
rrjr
11/6/2016 1:36pm
Markee wrote:
The point of the grating, is the consistency. Chad Reed brought up the point that the dirt isn't always created equal despite gate pick. You will...
The point of the grating, is the consistency. Chad Reed brought up the point that the dirt isn't always created equal despite gate pick.

You will always have a rut/line after the grating unless its carried out way past the gate which I don't see happening.

Add grating take away start hooks. Some of these midgets in our sport probably couldn't even touch the ground with out the hook.
What's a start hook?

Is it something like a block of wood to stand on? I've seen shorter riders dig the run deeper behind their gate to lower the bike.
gsxr6
11/6/2016 6:09pm
I say put the metal militia back there instead.

Post a reply to: Metal Mesh behind Start Gate MXGP 2017

The Latest