Megabomb header power gains?

4/4/2017 3:31pm
My 2016 crf250r has the newer design oem head pipe. Im about to put the single fmf 4.1 exhaust on it, but wondering if the megabomb is worth adding. Is a header noticeable or worthwhile with a slip on already in place? Or just leave the stock header?

I'm not racing, but am heavier for a 250f.
|
DTHA70
4/4/2017 5:21pm
in my experience youll get a more noticeable change in power from a header change than a slip on for sure.

I would advise you get a cam(stage 2 hotcam) and send the ECU off to tokyomods for some love and youll be amazed.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
4/4/2017 5:23pm
+10 hp just for the cool factor!

Jk. In all seriousness the mega bomb makes the bike have much better low end power. The bikes usually hit quite a bit harder. I run a mega bomb on all my 4 strokes.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
360th
4/4/2017 7:13pm
It helps but don't expect a miracle in power gains. But it sure looks bitchin, like a camaro. The cool factor alone makes it worth the coin. Just don't expect any miracles from it.
Bruce372
4/4/2017 7:27pm
The husky 450 ama bikes and the gp husky are running much longer fmf powerbomb header than the one you can buy.

The Shop

ML512
Fantasy
36th
4/4/2017 7:31pm
Bruce372 wrote:
The husky 450 ama bikes and the gp husky are running much longer fmf powerbomb header than the one you can buy.
Jason Anderson is on the standard length header, Dean Wilson is on the long one.

The Husky and KTM GP teams have longer headers than the US teams.

KTM GP has a longer Akropovic that's not available to the public and none of the US guys like. I heard they might try them again during outdoor testing though.

Rockstar Husky GP has a longer header as well, but their's is made by FMF. The ones the 250Fs use are available, the 450 longer one isn't, as of now.
4/4/2017 7:42pm
Bruce372 wrote:
ML512 wrote:
Jason Anderson is on the standard length header, Dean Wilson is on the long one. The Husky and KTM GP teams have longer headers than the...
Jason Anderson is on the standard length header, Dean Wilson is on the long one.

KTM GP has a longer Akropovic that's not available to the public and none of the US guys like. I heard they might try them again during outdoor testing though.

Rockstar Husky GP has a longer header as well, but their's is made by FMF. The ones the 250Fs use are available, the 450 longer one isn't, as of now.
You can not buy the current ktm/husky race header (added volume to resonator chamber). The oem ktm header is by far the best dyno header on the market but removing it from bike sucks making it a jekyl and hyde relationship.

Regarding the honda, The single with mega adds some good power in spots. its been my test experience on the dyno that it looses a little on ultra early front side where you dont ever ride... which makes the gain more pronounced where you do ride. The good news is their isnt many pipes the honda doesnt like and importantly the fmf fitment is second to none with unmatched customer support.
ML512
Fantasy
36th
4/4/2017 7:50pm
You can not buy the current ktm/husky race header (added volume to resonator chamber). The oem ktm header is by far the best dyno header on...
You can not buy the current ktm/husky race header (added volume to resonator chamber). The oem ktm header is by far the best dyno header on the market but removing it from bike sucks making it a jekyl and hyde relationship.

Regarding the honda, The single with mega adds some good power in spots. its been my test experience on the dyno that it looses a little on ultra early front side where you dont ever ride... which makes the gain more pronounced where you do ride. The good news is their isnt many pipes the honda doesnt like and importantly the fmf fitment is second to none with unmatched customer support.
Ahh, totally forgot about the secondary resonance chamber exhaust they're running (that's a shorty head pipe though for TLD)

At the beginning of the season, I believe Davalos still had the long optional header and I think the GP Husky 250 team is using them still.
4/4/2017 7:56pm
You can not buy the current ktm/husky race header (added volume to resonator chamber). The oem ktm header is by far the best dyno header on...

ML512 wrote:
Ahh, totally forgot about the secondary resonance chamber exhaust they're running (that's a shorty head pipe though for TLD) At the beginning of the season, I...
Ahh, totally forgot about the secondary resonance chamber exhaust they're running (that's a shorty head pipe though for TLD)

At the beginning of the season, I believe Davalos still had the long optional header and I think the GP Husky 250 team is using them still.
My testing on the dyno didnt show much difference between the two (amazingly)

The added volume to the rez chamber brings that volume in line with the oem volume, which just flat out works... ktm did their hmwk on that damn thing. Tapered start to end, well placed location on res chamber and good volume. The days of big gains on pipes is coming to close.. weight, fitment and sound...

Weight of course is equally important as power... often forgot

Any word when they will produce the bigger chamber?
Bruce372
4/4/2017 7:59pm
My only justification for swapping the pipe on the husky 450 is having a 3 piece pipebthats easy to change and also having a USFS sparky in case we do a trail ride..

It's a bummer the stock oem header is so difficult to remove
ML512
Fantasy
36th
4/4/2017 8:04pm
My testing on the dyno didnt show much difference between the two (amazingly) The added volume to the rez chamber brings that volume in line with...
My testing on the dyno didnt show much difference between the two (amazingly)

The added volume to the rez chamber brings that volume in line with the oem volume, which just flat out works... ktm did their hmwk on that damn thing. Tapered start to end, well placed location on res chamber and good volume. The days of big gains on pipes is coming to close.. weight, fitment and sound...

Weight of course is equally important as power... often forgot

Any word when they will produce the bigger chamber?
Not sure, I'll ask if they're going to or not.
Bruce372
4/7/2017 11:18am
Bruce372 wrote:
ML512 wrote:
Jason Anderson is on the standard length header, Dean Wilson is on the long one. The Husky and KTM GP teams have longer headers than the...

Hey Derek, do You have any feedback on full pipe systems on the ktm450?
I really don't want to dump the stock header but if it's a pain to take off...

Thanks
4/7/2017 11:39am
Havent done any dyno work on a pipe for that bike.
we chased some power with port and piston, but all testing done on a stock pipe

Ride impressions from fmf users has been very positive saying it revs quicker. considering the oem header and megabomb looks very similar in resonater volume... It should be a safe bet.

I personally like how the ktm delivers power, smooth but wickedly powerful when you mash it.. so i prefer the feeling of the fmf with the sound insert.
Bruce372
4/7/2017 8:22pm Edited Date/Time 4/7/2017 8:27pm
Braap

Post a reply to: Megabomb header power gains?

The Latest