Meeting with AMA Al Ludington

burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 5:34pm
Well, I can honestly say that he is excited at this rule change. The conversation went better than I could have expected. He liked the proposal and stated that it was palatable, since it was not a large change. He went on to mention that he is tired of seeing the cost of the four stroke racing rise and the two stroke disappear. In fact, he stated that it would work better if the rule change said 150 instead of 144 (to which I agreed).

I asked him what the steps were for getting this in place. He said that he would open up discussions with Jeff Canfield (who he has already mentioned it to), Kevin Crowther (sp?) and the people over on the Supercross side. (He said Supercross was important since the FIM was involved). From this point he said he would get his boss involved (the director of AMA Pro Racing) and the decision would be made. He said that they would consider Cost, Safety, and Good for the Sport - Is it cost effective for the racer; Is it safe and doesn't involve danger to the racer and others; and Is it good for the sport.

He asked if I could get him a copy of the petition (another one) and some cost comparisons for the modifications, along with the bikes in production right now that meet this category (which he said that this was actually his job to do, but this would help him a lot if I didn't mind getting it together). John Nicholas has gotten most of this already, so I will gather the information I need and put it all together. I will post it here for suggestions before I send it up.

All in all, it was a very encouraging conversation. I have no doubt that this guy is pro 2-stroke and wants to see it through. He was genuinely excited at the possibility of this thing getting approved since this rule would transcend over to Road Racing and other disciplines as well.

I know it's kind of hard to relay how a conversation went, but we both are confident that it will happen. The tone I got from him was that the AMA seems refreshed by the idea and is also aware that there is a growing problem with mx and sx, mainly the racing costs to the individual racer.

So, I will begin getting this stuff together and post it here.

It's still important to keep spreading the word about the petition. I would like to get about 2000 signatures. Man, that would be awesome:

www.gopetition.com/petition/38076.html

Thanks,
Mark Slate
|
kardy
8/3/2010 9:35am
DMG, not AMA. How could you get this far into this thing and not know who the guy actually works for? Kevin Crowther works for "The AMA", hence "the supercross side" is the actual AMA, not DMG/AMA Pro Racing. DMG/AMA Pro Racing/MX Sports would do the rule changing for Lucas Oils AMA Pro motocross nationals, "The AMA" has zero to do with it. Vice versa for the SX series, THAT is "The AMA", and which Kevin has control over.

Regardless, nice that you feel so passionately about this that you'd go through all the trouble (although you apparently still don't really know which organization your'e dealing with). Good luck.
newmann
8/3/2010 9:49am
In regards to MX, MX Sports has told me they use the AMA rules. AMA has told me they have nothing to do with it and to contact MX Sports. Round and round we go, where we stop nobody knows.
newmann
8/3/2010 9:51am Edited Date/Time 8/3/2010 9:53am
But we do know that Honda.....cough, cough.....I mean the OEM's keep telling DC no. And no matter how highly I and 99.9% of everyone here thinks of DC, they have control of the situation.
Matthes
8/3/2010 9:58am
newmann wrote:
But we do know that Honda.....cough, cough.....I mean the OEM's keep telling DC no. And no matter how highly I and 99.9% of everyone here thinks...
But we do know that Honda.....cough, cough.....I mean the OEM's keep telling DC no. And no matter how highly I and 99.9% of everyone here thinks of DC, they have control of the situation.
I don't really care about the 2-stroke thing, it's a dead issue. Everybody has voted with their wallets on what they want but....

A real danger we have right now (imo) is the AMA is powerless (and u could argue that they deserve to be with all their bumblings over the years) and the promoters (Feld and MX Sports) now control the rules and regulations in the sport of porfessional sx/mx and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

I'm of the opinion that promoters should worry about selling tickets and rules and regulations should come from someone that has no interest in the selling of tickets. We're in dangerous waters I think.

The Shop

kardy
8/3/2010 10:00am
newmann wrote:
In regards to MX, MX Sports has told me they use the AMA rules. AMA has told me they have nothing to do with it and...
In regards to MX, MX Sports has told me they use the AMA rules. AMA has told me they have nothing to do with it and to contact MX Sports. Round and round we go, where we stop nobody knows.
Yep, well known and publicized just after the DMG buyout of racing properties from the AMA that they'd start with the existing AMA rulebook instead of starting from scratch. The AMA has nothing to do with any changes to it now.

I guess I don't get what's so hard to figure out, it was all well publicized at the time, but if it fits your agenda to make it seem more confusing than it really is, then hey, who am I to try and correct you? My point was that the guy that did the petition doesn't even know who he's dealing with.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
8/3/2010 10:00am Edited Date/Time 8/3/2010 10:01am
newmann wrote:
But we do know that Honda.....cough, cough.....I mean the OEM's keep telling DC no. And no matter how highly I and 99.9% of everyone here thinks...
What's with the "we" stuff?

It kind of weirds me out when people take urban myths and conspiracy theories, and keep tossing them out there like they're fact.
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
8/3/2010 10:05am
He mentioned DC off-handedly, but that he was over on the motocross side.

You know, all in all I don't think this will hurt anything. At the worst, it will get discussions going on how to improve the sport. Hopefully, they will allow it.
newmann
8/3/2010 10:25am
newmann wrote:
GuyB wrote:
What's with the "we" stuff? It kind of weirds me out when people take urban myths and conspiracy theories, and keep tossing them out there like...
What's with the "we" stuff?

It kind of weirds me out when people take urban myths and conspiracy theories, and keep tossing them out there like they're fact.
DC has stated on here before that the OEM's don't consider it "fair" and that since they don't make 2 strokes that they won't have anything to do with the allowing anything more than a 125 to go up against the 250F's. He told us, so I used the term "we". Either that or I just make shit up and think I'm Tony Alessi. Now that should weird you out.Smile
8/3/2010 10:35am
so this is for the pro level? but i can sign the petition? shouldnt it be the people that would be racing these bikes that need to sign the petition?
how many people would actually make use of this rule change?
motomike137
8/3/2010 10:58am
Let's all just slow down here for a second and dream for a minute. This is how things can get started... people voicing their opinion and taking action. Imagine that this rule makes it's way through and suddenly some people show up at the Nationals with their big bore 2 strokes. Imagine that somebody has some success and becomes that underdog that people love to root for and a little ground swell of interest re-ignites around the two stroke. Now imagine some innovative thinker at one of the OEM's realizes that there are potential customers out there wishing for a simpler less expensive machine that they can go out to their local race track with and ride. Picture down the road a class of bike that costs 1/2 to 2/3rds as much to own and operate that can be sold in high numbers to the masses and a profit be made off it. Oh wait I think we have been there before... It was called a Honda Elsinore.
newmann
8/3/2010 10:59am
so this is for the pro level? but i can sign the petition? shouldnt it be the people that would be racing these bikes that need...
so this is for the pro level? but i can sign the petition? shouldnt it be the people that would be racing these bikes that need to sign the petition?
People like myself have considered providing a bike or helping out with a 2 stroke effort, but it's not allowed at a competitive level. I'm not going to throw money at a 250F against the likes of Pro-Circuit or Factory Connection.
wardy
8/3/2010 11:01am
As much as I would like to see at least 500's in the 450 class (Open class).......and after reading what DC said about this. it simply isn't going to happen.

they are just being good promoters and making sure they keep the smoker lovers at bay.

150 and 300's is NOT a step in the right direction in my opinion as once that happens, it can be easily stated "we did this" now go sit down and shut up about the 2 stroke.

Now if that 1000 or so petition list of people continue to grow, and they stop going to events and stop buying 4 strokes and are vocal about it well maybe someone will listen.

maybe if that 1000 turns into 2000 in the next month or so they may start to pay attention.

I don't think 250cc heads up in stupidcross would matter. it would be fair hard to use that type of horsepower on dryslick tracks.

outdoors is where the 450 class needs opened up.

who knows it's pro racing they can do what they want, and there isn't a big enough "pay day" on the smoker side to matter........

glad amateur is working the way it is........

wardy
8/3/2010 11:05am
and by the way. a much smarter older person then me told me they will just "wait out" this generation.

companies will wait until the last of us old guys are gone and well the new kids don't have a clue what the 2 stroke was like and don't care, they only care about what RD, or James, or whoever is riding today they have more strokes..........
jndmx
8/3/2010 11:16am
wardy wrote:
and by the way. a much smarter older person then me told me they will just "wait out" this generation. companies will wait until the last...
and by the way. a much smarter older person then me told me they will just "wait out" this generation.

companies will wait until the last of us old guys are gone and well the new kids don't have a clue what the 2 stroke was like and don't care, they only care about what RD, or James, or whoever is riding today they have more strokes..........
You speak the truth as usual sir even when quoting others.
8/3/2010 11:28am
so this is for the pro level? but i can sign the petition? shouldnt it be the people that would be racing these bikes that need...
newmann wrote:
People like myself have considered providing a bike or helping out with a 2 stroke effort, but it's not allowed at a competitive level. I'm not...
People like myself have considered providing a bike or helping out with a 2 stroke effort, but it's not allowed at a competitive level. I'm not going to throw money at a 250F against the likes of Pro-Circuit or Factory Connection.
so your saying there are people that would take advantage of this? is that 1 or 2 people per national? or a better group?
SteveS
8/3/2010 11:57am
newmann wrote:
Matthes wrote:
I don't really care about the 2-stroke thing, it's a dead issue. Everybody has voted with their wallets on what they want but.... A real danger...
I don't really care about the 2-stroke thing, it's a dead issue. Everybody has voted with their wallets on what they want but....

A real danger we have right now (imo) is the AMA is powerless (and u could argue that they deserve to be with all their bumblings over the years) and the promoters (Feld and MX Sports) now control the rules and regulations in the sport of porfessional sx/mx and I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

I'm of the opinion that promoters should worry about selling tickets and rules and regulations should come from someone that has no interest in the selling of tickets. We're in dangerous waters I think.
Wallet-voting is clearly orchestrated by rules-making.
newmann
8/3/2010 11:59am
so your saying there are people that would take advantage of this? is that 1 or 2 people per national? or a better group?
Why don't you just ask the Scott Champions and Josh Clarks how many races they were unable to make because of bike failures or bike issues in the 250F class. I've tossed a minimal amount of cash to both of these kids to try and help them get to the next race. Scott Champion is a top 20 250F rider. Yet traveling from race to race on the national level with a time bomb piece of shit 250F and not having the ability to overhaul it every week like the teams he competes against do doesn't work out very well. Josh Clark was busting his ass to get to Washougal but bike troubles the week before killed his dream. If both of these guys were on 2 stroke 250's, they could most likely afford to carry a spare engine and top ends with them and keep the bikes on the track. Lots of kids like these out there that just can't compete because of the expense.
newmann
8/3/2010 12:07pm
newmann wrote:
Matthes wrote:
I don't really care about the 2-stroke thing, it's a dead issue. Everybody has voted with their wallets on what they want but.... A real danger...

You honestly don't think the overwhelming number of two strokes in the off-road events isn't knocking on the door of MX? They have a choice and they are voting with their wallets. Two strokes are far from dead in their world.

The powers that be have already admitted the displacement rules are flawed. Why won't they make an effort to correct it and see what happens? Flawed rules in MX had nothing to do with how people voted with their wallets?
Matthes
8/3/2010 12:35pm
newmann wrote:
You honestly don't think the overwhelming number of two strokes in the off-road events isn't knocking on the door of MX? They have a choice and...
You honestly don't think the overwhelming number of two strokes in the off-road events isn't knocking on the door of MX? They have a choice and they are voting with their wallets. Two strokes are far from dead in their world.

The powers that be have already admitted the displacement rules are flawed. Why won't they make an effort to correct it and see what happens? Flawed rules in MX had nothing to do with how people voted with their wallets?
I think you're deluding yourself into thinking that there are overwhelming numbers of two-strokes.

Every track i go to has thumpers everywhere and although I haven't been to a GNCC in '10, the ones I went to in '08 and '09 had way more 4-stokes than 2 (although there was a fair number of two-strokes at these races).

Do you have any data to back up your thoughts?

AMA shouldve never made the 550cc rule for 4-strokes and when they saw what Yamaha did, they should've stopped it then but they, as usual, were slow to react. You two-stroke people remind me of people still talking about how great record players sound.

Give it up, it's dead. At least for the foreseeable future, the OEM's are already building 2013 bikes. Someday they may come back (after all, who in the mid-80's would've ever predicted that thumpers would rule the world?) but not anytime soon.
RocketLab
8/3/2010 12:37pm Edited Date/Time 8/3/2010 12:51pm
newmann wrote:
Matthes wrote:

SteveS wrote:
Wallet-voting is clearly orchestrated by rules-making.
Just like anything else there gets to be a herd mentality. Everyone wants to get on the newest and supposedly better thing. Then reality rears its ugly head.

I reentered the market in 2005 after 17 years. Torn between the choice of a 250f (new technology and easy to ride), 450f new technology and a lil scary after 17 years off) and finally the good ol 250 2 stroker that I was told was on its way out. I bought the 250f, as it turned out not quite enough power and I worried all the time about the engine letting go. I knew if the engine or valves had a problem I would be out of business for a good while. I never worried about this on my old CR250's, just rode and had fun.

I guess my point is that people vote one way all the time and soon discover that maybe they would be better off voting the other way, especially when it comes to their wallets. It seems to me people close to the the sport and industry continually dismiss the 2 stroke feeling out there which is fine, give me a fast 4 stroke that is reliable, bulletproof and relatively inexpensive to repair if the first two can't be met, then the 2 stroke rumblings will diminish. Otherwise give me a choice again.

MX558
8/3/2010 12:55pm
The 2 strokes are dead and never coming back, get over it.
MXER231
8/3/2010 1:08pm
The OEMs will understand when they aren't selling bikes anymore and the AMA will understand when there is no one on the gate. Our sport is too expensive for the majority which will make it die. Ball sports are inexpensive and not as risky. How many people do you know that want to spend all their money risking their life? Very few and its getting smaller everyday. My dad owns a shop and I see it everyday. When you have a ZX6 that you can ride everyday next to a KX250f that you can only ride when a track is open for the same price what do you think the kids choice is gonna be? I like my 4 strokes but they aren't good for our sport. Well if we want our sport to be big and grow there not good. I know the economy is bad and people use it as an excuse but look at the amateur races and how low the turnouts are? How are we gonna have pros when there is no one to go pro? If it was cheaper to race more people would be interested. Every kid wants a motorcycle at one point in their life, but every kid doesnt have rich parents. So instead of getting a dirtbike they get a BMX bike or skateboard. Its not rocket science. Low prices mean more people. No matter what it is people care about how much it cost.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
8/3/2010 1:36pm
Things happen in cycles. When motocross first started, most people forget that it was all four-strokes. Then the two-strokes showed up, were lighter and faster, and four-strokes went the way of the dinosaur...until technology caught up to them.

Will we see two-strokes again? Who knows? But the current pro class rules make them a futile effort at best.

One thing to consider,though, when everyone's piling on, and it could use a global fix. the AMA...this is also a global issue, and could use a global fix.
newmann
8/3/2010 1:57pm
GuyB wrote:
Things happen in cycles. When motocross first started, most people forget that it was all four-strokes. Then the two-strokes showed up, were lighter and faster, and...
Things happen in cycles. When motocross first started, most people forget that it was all four-strokes. Then the two-strokes showed up, were lighter and faster, and four-strokes went the way of the dinosaur...until technology caught up to them.

Will we see two-strokes again? Who knows? But the current pro class rules make them a futile effort at best.

One thing to consider,though, when everyone's piling on, and it could use a global fix. the AMA...this is also a global issue, and could use a global fix.
Technology caught up with them? I think it was more like flawed rules and double displacement, not technology. But call it whatever you want. Do you actually think the modern four strokes have been "good for the sport"? Or made it "better"?
Holigan
8/3/2010 2:00pm
Guess what this is, and who is investing in it.

wardy
8/3/2010 2:00pm
I am not speaking for the "AMA" but to think they like DC would do anything to upset or change what the OEM's are doing.

it's about marketing, it's about promotion and it won't change unless they allow it. Call it helicopters if ya like but nothing is going to hurt the already horrible sales they are fighting right now.

Allowing any 2 stroke in the pro levels of racing will be the same as admitting their marketing stradigy failed.

We all will know when this "cycle" as Guy states is over and that is when either Honda starts making 2 strokes again (hell freeze over) OR China starts mass producing smokers which are knock offs of the big four. At the reasonable prices these could bring back ridership in a big way and help the big four ...................... of course short sightedness isn't unique to this sport.......
honda907
8/3/2010 2:08pm
Holigan wrote:
Guess what this is, and who is investing in it. [img]http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo151/M_Holigan/2stroke.jpg?t=1280869120[/img]

looks like some kind of 2 stroke.??
honda907
8/3/2010 2:08pm
Holigan wrote:
Guess what this is, and who is investing in it. [img]http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo151/M_Holigan/2stroke.jpg?t=1280869120[/img]

looks like some kind of 2 stroke.??
RocketLab
8/3/2010 2:09pm Edited Date/Time 8/3/2010 2:10pm
Holigan wrote:

Oh,Oh,Oh (raising hand), it's a boxer configuration with "outside" and "inside connecting rods, possibly 2 pistons per cylinder....what the hell is that?

Oh and looks weird enough to be Honda!
Holigan
8/3/2010 2:17pm Edited Date/Time 8/3/2010 2:18pm
The answer is a new multi fuel, direct injection 2 stroke engine being developed by EcoMotors International with funding from Microsoft’s Bill Gates and venture capitalist Vinod Khosla.

The primary difference between the 2 stroke and the 4 stroke is the amount of money that has been spent to develop the two types of engines. There has been billions more spent on developing the 4 stroke.

Post a reply to: Meeting with AMA Al Ludington

The Latest