Medical Insurance

Josh422
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2012 12:42pm
So I switched jobs and don't really want to wait to get insurance through work (90 days) which isn't even all that great.

Anyone have any input for me? I'm not too sure on where to start, ultimately would like to protect myself in the event of a hospital trip from moto.
|
FIREfish148
6/3/2010 7:22pm
I just got on with regence as of 2 days ago. I pay 83 a month and they cover everything after 2,500. Idk if this is the best, but i didnt feel like shopping around a lot lol. moto on!
mxmedic
6/3/2010 8:05pm
Definitely best to have some sort of insurance, especially if you're going to be riding. Probably spendy, but did you check in to COBRA options to carry over insurance from your previous job until your new insurance kicks in? Some of the other options mentioned would likely be cheaper though.

The Shop

moto314
6/3/2010 8:07pm
COBRA is your best option.
jasonward73
6/3/2010 8:51pm
Whatever you do don't go with Aetna! They suck
Interesting, I ran my info through ridersurance.com and the only option it provided me was Aetna.

Jason
6/3/2010 9:31pm
vintage121 wrote:
I applaud you guys spending money on insurance.
X2, Thank you for getting insurance.
burnside
6/4/2010 2:10am
How many of you guys have insurance? This is still one of the things that freak me out about America (I'm engaged to one!), couldn't imagine a trip to casualty with the added worry of coughing up $$$$$.
hormone768
6/4/2010 5:10am
I went through the same thing. I found that this site was great at helping pick out some insurance. http://www.ehealthinsurance.com/ You just give them some info and they give you a bunch of choices to choose from and some can even get you signed up right from their site.
tmart
6/4/2010 5:32am Edited Date/Time 6/4/2010 5:34am
I'll preface my opinion by the fact that I have been in the insurance business for 10 years and moto since I was a kid. Do your homework, read the fine print, and DEFINITELY do not buy coverage without the assistance of an agent. Make sure there is no fine print in the back of the policy does not exclude racing, moto, atv's ect. Most of them do so you have to be careful and it varies by state so choose a local agent. If you can get on a group plan then you will not have to worry about the exclusions you will find in an individual plan...because you WILL have some type of exclusions on the individual plan. You're best bet is to get on the group plan...trust me you'll save money in the end if something were to happen. I'm off my soapbox..thanks.

If you want to buy a short term policy to cover the 90 day window that is always an option as well but once again make certain there are no moto related exclusions.
6/4/2010 9:49am
tmart wrote:
I'll preface my opinion by the fact that I have been in the insurance business for 10 years and moto since I was a kid. Do...
I'll preface my opinion by the fact that I have been in the insurance business for 10 years and moto since I was a kid. Do your homework, read the fine print, and DEFINITELY do not buy coverage without the assistance of an agent. Make sure there is no fine print in the back of the policy does not exclude racing, moto, atv's ect. Most of them do so you have to be careful and it varies by state so choose a local agent. If you can get on a group plan then you will not have to worry about the exclusions you will find in an individual plan...because you WILL have some type of exclusions on the individual plan. You're best bet is to get on the group plan...trust me you'll save money in the end if something were to happen. I'm off my soapbox..thanks.

If you want to buy a short term policy to cover the 90 day window that is always an option as well but once again make certain there are no moto related exclusions.
I'm actually in the process of getting insurance too.. Any thoughts on "RiderSurance" - I really liked the idea that webite... And was curious if its as good as it sounds?
SteveS
6/4/2010 9:59am
The insurance offered by Brandon Parrish at ridersurance is through Aetna. They are all policies that do not exclude motocross or other extreme sports and don't exclude racing. There are a variety of plans to choose from, but the selection varies from state to state.
6/4/2010 10:17am
When I had Aetna I ended up in the hospital twice. Each time they miraculously put my insurance on hold (they didn't cancel it) And when I called them about it (both times) they said to go online and file a claim. So I did. Both times my claim was denied and I had to pay out of pocket the FULL PRICE! At hospitals if you are self pay and don't have insurance you only pay half of the bill. BUT because I had insurance (that didn't work) I had to pay the full price.

I know 3 other people who ran in to the exact same problem with Aetna. So they suck @$$ is the worst way.

Do yourself a favor and don't go through them.
pie8man
6/4/2010 10:31am
My personal preference for the family is a $10,000 deductible savings plan where you basically pay the first 10G out of pocket. This is very affordable and covers my family and I in case something very terrible happens. I also get an accident plan insurance rider policy for $10,000 with a $100 deductible which for my family of 5 is under $90 per month to cover the usual broken bones, cuts, sprains etc.... I am basically out of pocket for standard doctor visits and colds and the usual crap but at the end of the year it costs far less to do it this way for me. It took my agent some time to find a plan that did not exclude " organized motorized racing of any kind" but he finally found one. Get a good agent to help you.
SteveS
6/4/2010 10:53am
When I had Aetna I ended up in the hospital twice. Each time they miraculously put my insurance on hold (they didn't cancel it) And when...
When I had Aetna I ended up in the hospital twice. Each time they miraculously put my insurance on hold (they didn't cancel it) And when I called them about it (both times) they said to go online and file a claim. So I did. Both times my claim was denied and I had to pay out of pocket the FULL PRICE! At hospitals if you are self pay and don't have insurance you only pay half of the bill. BUT because I had insurance (that didn't work) I had to pay the full price.

I know 3 other people who ran in to the exact same problem with Aetna. So they suck @$$ is the worst way.

Did you buy your policy through ridersurance, or was it a policy obtained by a different method (like with motocross exclusions)?
englishman
6/4/2010 10:56am
burnside wrote:
How many of you guys have insurance? This is still one of the things that freak me out about America (I'm engaged to one!), couldn't imagine...
How many of you guys have insurance? This is still one of the things that freak me out about America (I'm engaged to one!), couldn't imagine a trip to casualty with the added worry of coughing up $$$$$.
You GOT to get insurance !! It's not like Blighty !

You go in to get a hang nail clipped and they'll slap a $2000.00 bill in your face.
englishman
6/4/2010 10:59am
tmart wrote:
I'll preface my opinion by the fact that I have been in the insurance business for 10 years and moto since I was a kid. Do...

I'm on a group plan through my buddies company ( Aetna ) does that mean I'm good to go and don't need to worry about exclusions ? Thanks !
6/4/2010 11:36am
When I had Aetna I ended up in the hospital twice. Each time they miraculously put my insurance on hold (they didn't cancel it) And when...

SteveS wrote:
Did you buy your policy through ridersurance, or was it a policy obtained by a different method (like with motocross exclusions)?
I didn't go through ridersurance I went straight through an Aetna agent.
MXEditor
6/4/2010 11:38am

No way! That so sucks.

Were you given an explanation/reason for denial?

Was in the UK = NHS will help!

Now here = Just die MF!
tmart
6/4/2010 11:54am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 11:19pm
@ Englishman--generally it is very difficult for there to be certain exclusions on a group plan...plus the laws very greatly from state to state which is why every insurance company isn't in every state. My best suggestion is to read the entire legal jargin of your policy if you can't find it then call claims or underwriting at the company and pose the hypothetical question. You should be able to get an answer without giving your name and policy and all that if you don't want to. Find out who your agent is and make him to the leg work on it...that is why we make money; however, do not let him just say "yeah you're covered" Get a document in writing saying there are no issues with moto/racing as a hobby assuming you don't do it for a living.

@253--I'm sure the guy at RiderSurance is a good dude...i mean an insurance agent that moto's i'm sure he is a good dude! The unfortunate thing is that no matter how good of a guy he is sometimes his hands are tied by the companies he represents. In my professional opinion I would rather sit down with a local agent and have someone I can go see when my policy comes in and I have questions.

I guess i'm just not an advocate of buying insurance online...would you hire an attorney or a doctor by simply getting an e-quote?!?! Insurance is just as important as an attorney, doctor, accountant you name it...if not done right it can put you in a hole so deep you can't get out of.

Go find a good reputable agent in your town...forget the cavemen, ducks, and lizards...ask to set an appointment with them as well that way they know you aren't a tire kicker and you truly are interested in protecting your family...i do not even quote health over the phone...if you don't have 30 minutes to meet with me then I don't have 5 minutes to quote your health insurance
6/4/2010 12:11pm

MXEditor wrote:
No way! That so sucks.

Were you given an explanation/reason for denial?

Was in the UK = NHS will help!

Now here = Just die MF!
No explanation at all! The only thing they said was that I must have called them and put my account on hold.... why would anyone do that?

So I try and tell everyone I can to get as far away from Aetna as possible. For $180/month all I got was HUGE hospital bill.
MXEditor
6/4/2010 12:23pm
I think they all suck @ss...

God forbid I get sick ever again.
6/4/2010 1:09pm
tmart wrote:
@ Englishman--generally it is very difficult for there to be certain exclusions on a group plan...plus the laws very greatly from state to state which is...
@ Englishman--generally it is very difficult for there to be certain exclusions on a group plan...plus the laws very greatly from state to state which is why every insurance company isn't in every state. My best suggestion is to read the entire legal jargin of your policy if you can't find it then call claims or underwriting at the company and pose the hypothetical question. You should be able to get an answer without giving your name and policy and all that if you don't want to. Find out who your agent is and make him to the leg work on it...that is why we make money; however, do not let him just say "yeah you're covered" Get a document in writing saying there are no issues with moto/racing as a hobby assuming you don't do it for a living.

@253--I'm sure the guy at RiderSurance is a good dude...i mean an insurance agent that moto's i'm sure he is a good dude! The unfortunate thing is that no matter how good of a guy he is sometimes his hands are tied by the companies he represents. In my professional opinion I would rather sit down with a local agent and have someone I can go see when my policy comes in and I have questions.

I guess i'm just not an advocate of buying insurance online...would you hire an attorney or a doctor by simply getting an e-quote?!?! Insurance is just as important as an attorney, doctor, accountant you name it...if not done right it can put you in a hole so deep you can't get out of.

Go find a good reputable agent in your town...forget the cavemen, ducks, and lizards...ask to set an appointment with them as well that way they know you aren't a tire kicker and you truly are interested in protecting your family...i do not even quote health over the phone...if you don't have 30 minutes to meet with me then I don't have 5 minutes to quote your health insurance
I appreciate your input. It's usually a confusing/intimidating task dealing with insurance options... But every bit of info helps!
Thanks
tmart
6/4/2010 1:13pm
@MXEditor--I mean really they all suck?!?! You aren't offending me at all because I know being in the business I'm not generally everyone's favorite guy BUT they don't all suck. yes NOXii's deal does suck but that is why you have an agent and you don't buy from the web...if NOXii had an agent worth a crap that agent would have been fighting tooth and nail for him as I have done many times for my clients. Yes if the insruance policy was in force and there was coverage they should have paid...point blank.

Let's look at the company's aspect of it though...you pay $200 a month for say two years which equals $2,400...You get injured and need a CT Scan an X-ray and two doctors visits...they drop $6,000 on the medical payments...they are out to make money as well...a lot blame can be put on the doctors as well for the rates they charge for certain tests and visits....
SteveS
6/4/2010 1:29pm
tmart wrote:
@ Englishman--generally it is very difficult for there to be certain exclusions on a group plan...plus the laws very greatly from state to state which is...

Sounds like NOXii's experience with a local agent wasn't so positive.
6/4/2010 2:03pm
tmart wrote:
@MXEditor--I mean really they all suck?!?! You aren't offending me at all because I know being in the business I'm not generally everyone's favorite guy BUT...
@MXEditor--I mean really they all suck?!?! You aren't offending me at all because I know being in the business I'm not generally everyone's favorite guy BUT they don't all suck. yes NOXii's deal does suck but that is why you have an agent and you don't buy from the web...if NOXii had an agent worth a crap that agent would have been fighting tooth and nail for him as I have done many times for my clients. Yes if the insruance policy was in force and there was coverage they should have paid...point blank.

Let's look at the company's aspect of it though...you pay $200 a month for say two years which equals $2,400...You get injured and need a CT Scan an X-ray and two doctors visits...they drop $6,000 on the medical payments...they are out to make money as well...a lot blame can be put on the doctors as well for the rates they charge for certain tests and visits....
Maybe they all don't suck...but MOST of them do. When I called my douche bag agent all he told me was that I was pretty much S.O.L. I know other people who had Aetna (and I am not sure whether or not they did it online or through an agent) but they ran in to the exact same problem. Seems to me, with Aetna it doesn't really matter what an agent has to offer....they still suck.

Post a reply to: Medical Insurance

The Latest