Mechanic to Rider Microphone?

KBOLTZ
With the rise of micro technologies and with supercross wanting to change things up to engage fans... I was wondering if anyone ever sees (ever meaning years and years from now) NASCAR style Mechanic to Rider communication? Tapping into the mic line for broadcast TV type stuff. I'm not thinking this will ever happen at least anytime soon but could it ever be a possibility? Personally I think it would take away from the independence of a rider but "TV" could ruin that for ratings. Just wanted to see what thoughts you guys had on this.
|
Xavier
6/24/2016 10:52pm Edited Date/Time 6/24/2016 10:53pm
My recollection is that "REACT" radios were used by Team Kawasaki in the US and then Team USA at the MXDN in '88 (Villars, France) before being banned.
KBOLTZ
6/24/2016 10:55pm
Im also trying to think of what information would be shared with the rider and how much of an impact it could have on a riders performance?
KBOLTZ
6/24/2016 10:57pm
KBOLTZ wrote:
With the rise of micro technologies and with supercross wanting to change things up to engage fans... I was wondering if anyone ever sees (ever meaning...
With the rise of micro technologies and with supercross wanting to change things up to engage fans... I was wondering if anyone ever sees (ever meaning years and years from now) NASCAR style Mechanic to Rider communication? Tapping into the mic line for broadcast TV type stuff. I'm not thinking this will ever happen at least anytime soon but could it ever be a possibility? Personally I think it would take away from the independence of a rider but "TV" could ruin that for ratings. Just wanted to see what thoughts you guys had on this.
Do you happen to remember if they were banned because other teams did not have it and reported it? or because it's just not accepted in motocross?
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
6/24/2016 11:04pm
Not allowed. Think they can for Monster Cup?

The Shop

6/24/2016 11:06pm
kzizok wrote:
Honestly the pros hardly even check their pit boards, don't think a radio would be helpful. At the MEC it's not against the rules.
KBOLTZ
6/24/2016 11:09pm
kzizok wrote:
Honestly the pros hardly even check their pit boards, don't think a radio would be helpful. At the MEC it's not against the rules.
Psychic, I was thinking maybe line choice and things like that could be useful. If you see a fast line opening up on the track you can inform your rider before he could probably notice it forming.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
6/24/2016 11:14pm
kzizok wrote:
KBOLTZ wrote:
Psychic, I was thinking maybe line choice and things like that could be useful. If you see a fast line opening up on the track you...
Psychic, I was thinking maybe line choice and things like that could be useful. If you see a fast line opening up on the track you can inform your rider before he could probably notice it forming.
Too much chatter. Tracks are very organic.
KBOLTZ
6/24/2016 11:17pm
KBOLTZ wrote:
Psychic, I was thinking maybe line choice and things like that could be useful. If you see a fast line opening up on the track you...
kzizok wrote:
Too much chatter. Tracks are very organic.
Very true
rongi#401
6/24/2016 11:35pm
yeah no way, guys making entry into the whoops and all of a sudden "HEY LARRY BLAH BLAH BLAH" and bam. season ending endo
Bman_145
6/24/2016 11:35pm
Jbone was talking about this on one of the pulp podcasts, not sure how old it was. They tried to get the ok to use it agaiin but AMA or someone didn't allow it. Tests showed it didn't affect the riders at all, as far as it being a distraction, but the radio only worked when the bike was not on the gas, otherwise all they could hear was the bike's exhaust.
SCR
6/24/2016 11:57pm
I remember something about US team having them at mxdn. Some Euros taped some fake Antenas on their helmets to make fun of them. Something like that.

Leave the radios to Nascar. Just show the races. While their at it get rid of the Kawasaki track map arrow. I hate that thing.
6/25/2016 4:58am
The negatives outweigh the benefits in my opinion. An mx/sx race is largely 100% at all times, there is no real strategy involved like other forms of motorsport where there are limiting factors (tyres and fuel). There is very little time on an mx/sx track that doesn't require 100% concentration unlike sections of circuit racing with long straights, it would be to distracting.
Motoxtombo
6/25/2016 6:35am
I thought they banned radio communication because the mechanic or someone spotting for the rider could keep telling the rider over the radio where another rider is trying to pass them and they could block every move, that would make passing a lot tougher and racing in general would suffer.
6/25/2016 7:29am
SCR wrote:
I remember something about US team having them at mxdn. Some Euros taped some fake Antenas on their helmets to make fun of them. Something like...
I remember something about US team having them at mxdn. Some Euros taped some fake Antenas on their helmets to make fun of them. Something like that.

Leave the radios to Nascar. Just show the races. While their at it get rid of the Kawasaki track map arrow. I hate that thing.
Damn track map shown four times a day
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
6/25/2016 7:39am
What would be cool is if the officials had access to an audible signal for lappers to prepare to be lapped or red cross flag no jump situations.
On a side note, the auto-correct function on my phone (noticed while reading before hitting send) changed "lappers to losers" Laughing
g0rd057
6/25/2016 6:08pm
Radios would be good addition to keep fans entertained and interested in more than one or two riders.
Fans could listen to riders on scanners and hear them tell their crew what they really think about that asshole who center punched him in the corner.... live and uncensored in the heat of the moment, and before they could think up a PC way to describe the incident to trackside TV reporters.

Post a reply to: Mechanic to Rider Microphone?

The Latest