McGrath on the GOAT

jonesaustin
I still love his answer to Despain. So apropros.

https://youtu.be/D2Y_RbRvGsQ
|
wreckitrandy
1/4/2017 9:09am
15 major ama titles say RC is the greatest. He never called himself the goat and doesn't have to. jmo
MOTO120
1/4/2017 9:15am
MC is the epitome of the word cool! Love how he says it straight forward without arrogance or cockiness. Plain and simple, RC is not/was not the greatest at Supercross. To be considered the GOAT, my opinion is you need to be the Greatest Of All Time....at BOTH SX and MX. Is RC the GOAT at MOTOCROSS, yeah probably but NOT at SUPERCROSS. Does Mike Alessi consider himself the GOAT because he is probably the best starter of all-time, nope. Does Martin Davalos consider himself the GOAT because he has probably won the most Lites heat races ever, nope. Flame on flame on.
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
1/4/2017 9:32am Edited Date/Time 1/4/2017 9:33am
I don't know. I absolutely love MC and he was amazing and dominant in his SX career but i feel if they started together RC would of found a way to beat him regularly real quick as he did through his whole career with everyone. MC is best at Sx because RC wasn't there from the start. RC owned everyone on a track for dirtbikes and found how to win right away. I think if RC wanted to win gncc or any other form of motorcycle racing he would be champion of it as well. The guy was a straight animal who would figure out how to win.
Sully22
1/4/2017 9:44am Edited Date/Time 1/4/2017 11:14am
RC is not the greatest SX rider ever, but he's up there, easily top 5 imho, so RC is the best combined SX/MX rider of all time, ever, thus he's the goat. If MC wants the title of Goat SX rider only, then sure, give him that, no question. MC had a decent MX career among the greats in our sport, but nothing like RC, or even Stewart or Emig or Stanton or glover or Hannah or quite a few others, but a good MX career. Compare MC's outdoor career to RC's, and then compare RC's SX career to MC's, now combine the two, add in total championships .....it's not even close.

The Shop

ky_savage
Fantasy
500th
1/4/2017 9:46am
MOTO120 wrote:
MC is the epitome of the word cool! Love how he says it straight forward without arrogance or cockiness. Plain and simple, RC is not/was not...
MC is the epitome of the word cool! Love how he says it straight forward without arrogance or cockiness. Plain and simple, RC is not/was not the greatest at Supercross. To be considered the GOAT, my opinion is you need to be the Greatest Of All Time....at BOTH SX and MX. Is RC the GOAT at MOTOCROSS, yeah probably but NOT at SUPERCROSS. Does Mike Alessi consider himself the GOAT because he is probably the best starter of all-time, nope. Does Martin Davalos consider himself the GOAT because he has probably won the most Lites heat races ever, nope. Flame on flame on.
twotwosix
1/4/2017 9:53am
MOTO120 wrote:
MC is the epitome of the word cool! Love how he says it straight forward without arrogance or cockiness. Plain and simple, RC is not/was not...
I hear you, but I still disagree. I take RC in his prime vs MC in his prime. Also, MC wasn't that great outdoors. RC was great at both and has the wins.
Mit12
1/4/2017 10:02am
No one is the GOAT. MC is the greatest SX rider and RC is the best MX rider in the states.
FroDiddy
1/4/2017 10:03am
MOTO120 wrote:
twotwosix wrote:
I hear you, but I still disagree. I take RC in his prime vs MC in his prime. Also, MC wasn't that great outdoors. RC was...
I hear you, but I still disagree. I take RC in his prime vs MC in his prime. Also, MC wasn't that great outdoors. RC was great at both and has the wins.
MC was pretty damn good outdoors in '95-'96, the only 2 years he truly applied himself.

RC gets credit for changing the way riders approach the sport with their training, but in reality it was MC in '96 that took his training to a level that matched his immense talent and he dominated the SX season and was dominating in MX, up until the ankle injury.
Pepe
1/4/2017 10:18am
If MC ever learned how to ride ruts, the record books would look a lot differently.

He also sort of bad-lucked out of the 93 125 title.
huck
1/4/2017 10:24am
Having to pick one, to build a team around, with both in their prime...I'd pick RC every time!
WoodsRacer
Fantasy
2893rd
1/4/2017 10:45am
Is it just me, or do about half the threads these days seem like people trying to continue Matthes rants?
walent215
1/4/2017 10:57am
Insider347 wrote:
RC is the GOAT, no question!
Agreed. Rc amassed his wins/accomplishments in a much smaller window than Mc. Rc straight up beat Mc in sx. Rc is the goat. Period!
kott0n
Fantasy
3779th
1/4/2017 10:58am
WoodsRacer wrote:
Is it just me, or do about half the threads these days seem like people trying to continue Matthes rants?
Who is Matthes? I keep seeing being mentioned but I've never heard of him. Never seen the name on a list of wins etc
kaptkaos
1/4/2017 11:05am Edited Date/Time 1/4/2017 11:06am
If you want to separate MX and SX, and treat them as two disciplines then you will need 2 GOATs. Its like saying Ali was the GOAT of the Heavyweights, but Sugar Ray may have a thing or two say about being the Greatest Boxer of all-time.

This is not so complicated.

IMHO, MC is the King of SX and RC can be the GOAT. RC looks more like a goat and MC more like a King.

If you consider SX/MX as one discipline (I think you should) then the numbers are easy and RC is GOAT.

Boom, problem solved.
1/4/2017 11:09am
WoodsRacer wrote:
kott0n wrote:
Who is Matthes? I keep seeing being mentioned but I've never heard of him. Never seen the name on a list of wins etc
Steve Matthes is the host of the Pulp MX podcast and a moto journalist.
kott0n
Fantasy
3779th
1/4/2017 11:13am
WoodsRacer wrote:
kott0n wrote:
So never been on a podium?
Firefly47
1/4/2017 11:14am
WoodsRacer wrote:
kott0n wrote:
Never heard of him.
jeffro503
1/4/2017 11:21am
kaptkaos wrote:
If you want to separate MX and SX, and treat them as two disciplines then you will need 2 GOATs. Its like saying Ali was the...
If you want to separate MX and SX, and treat them as two disciplines then you will need 2 GOATs. Its like saying Ali was the GOAT of the Heavyweights, but Sugar Ray may have a thing or two say about being the Greatest Boxer of all-time.

This is not so complicated.

IMHO, MC is the King of SX and RC can be the GOAT. RC looks more like a goat and MC more like a King.

If you consider SX/MX as one discipline (I think you should) then the numbers are easy and RC is GOAT.

Boom, problem solved.
Explained very well.

MC....best SX racer of all time.

RC....best MX racer of all time

Combine the two and who won more?....RC. Damn near doubles MC's records when you combine them. And I am a HUGE MC fan! More so than RC's to be honest. We have always combined SX and MX when we look at overall careers. There shouldn't even a debate here. MC=King , RC=Goat!
Pepe
1/4/2017 11:22am Edited Date/Time 1/4/2017 11:24am
Insider347 wrote:
walent215 wrote:
Agreed. Rc amassed his wins/accomplishments in a much smaller window than Mc. Rc straight up beat Mc in sx. Rc is the goat. Period!
MC has less total starts MX/SX than RC.

MC had exactly 71 wins the first time RC "beat" him indoors at Rd 2 in 2001. About 68 if you count Daytona 00.

Better racer? maaaaaaybe RC. Better dirtbike rider? MC no question. MC revolutionized the way SX was ridden up until that point, and up until Jimmy Stewart. RC revolutionized training.
walent215
1/4/2017 11:32am Edited Date/Time 1/4/2017 11:34am
2 injured seasons for rc...his first and 05 I believe. I believe yes, he would have the 05 title if he wasn't injured. Even in 07 when he ran an abbreviated schedule I think he won 3 mains. Imo he would have won the 07 title and even more after that if he decided to continue .
peelout
1/4/2017 11:38am
FLmxer wrote:
I don't know. I absolutely love MC and he was amazing and dominant in his SX career but i feel if they started together RC would...
I don't know. I absolutely love MC and he was amazing and dominant in his SX career but i feel if they started together RC would of found a way to beat him regularly real quick as he did through his whole career with everyone. MC is best at Sx because RC wasn't there from the start. RC owned everyone on a track for dirtbikes and found how to win right away. I think if RC wanted to win gncc or any other form of motorcycle racing he would be champion of it as well. The guy was a straight animal who would figure out how to win.
but i feel if they started together RC would of found a way to beat him regularly real quick

in the outdoors, yeah absolutely. in supercross? no fucking way bro. if not for that piece of shit Suzuki he would have won from 93 through 2000. in my mind, the only reason RC beat MC in 2001 and on was that MC was very much at the end of his run. i don't think a young in his prime RC has anything for in his prime MC on a supercross track.

but to each his own
walent215
1/4/2017 11:48am
Insider347 wrote:
walent215 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
MC has less total starts MX/SX than RC. MC had exactly 71 wins the first time RC "beat" him indoors at Rd 2 in 2001. About...
MC has less total starts MX/SX than RC.

MC had exactly 71 wins the first time RC "beat" him indoors at Rd 2 in 2001. About 68 if you count Daytona 00.

Better racer? maaaaaaybe RC. Better dirtbike rider? MC no question. MC revolutionized the way SX was ridden up until that point, and up until Jimmy Stewart. RC revolutionized training.
I would say less starts because rc raced outdoors ever year where as Mc did not. Who knows though...the year rc straight up beat mcgrath for the title McGrath won multiple mains in the beginning of the series showing his strength right away and rc figured it out and won out the year with like 13 wins....I believe Mc was still in his prime and must have felt/thought so as he came out winning right away...just my opinion though.
Calihusky
1/4/2017 11:55am
kott0n wrote:
Firefly47 wrote:
Never heard of him.
He is considered the GOAT of motojournalists.
Fourth_Floor
1/4/2017 11:56am
RC is the GOAT hands down, no questions asked. The guy would win by any means necessary and if that meant riding out of control with feet flying off the pegs then that's what he did. RC is the definition of controlled chaos on a motorcycle.
Bramlett321
1/4/2017 11:57am
kott0n wrote:
kott0n wrote:
So never been on a podium?
4 Manitoba titles and a lower level pro racer in Canada!!! The dude knew how to ride....and also the king of sand on the 5-Hunsky!!!
IceMan446
1/4/2017 12:15pm
FLmxer wrote:
I don't know. I absolutely love MC and he was amazing and dominant in his SX career but i feel if they started together RC would...
peelout wrote:
[b]but i feel if they started together RC would of found a way to beat him regularly real quick[/b] in the outdoors, yeah absolutely. in supercross...
but i feel if they started together RC would of found a way to beat him regularly real quick

in the outdoors, yeah absolutely. in supercross? no fucking way bro. if not for that piece of shit Suzuki he would have won from 93 through 2000. in my mind, the only reason RC beat MC in 2001 and on was that MC was very much at the end of his run. i don't think a young in his prime RC has anything for in his prime MC on a supercross track.

but to each his own
X2

Dont forget that pile of shit KTM he rode also.

Which is why RC is not the GOAT.

MC is the by far the best SX rider. RC is by far the best MX rider.

No way one can trump the other.
Pepe
1/4/2017 12:21pm
FLmxer wrote:
peelout wrote:
[b]but i feel if they started together RC would of found a way to beat him regularly real quick[/b] in the outdoors, yeah absolutely. in supercross...

but to each his own
IceMan446 wrote:
X2 Dont forget that pile of shit KTM he rode also. Which is why RC is not the GOAT. MC is the by far the best...
X2

Dont forget that pile of shit KTM he rode also.

Which is why RC is not the GOAT.

MC is the by far the best SX rider. RC is by far the best MX rider.

No way one can trump the other.
MC is too Cali Cool for the rednecks. Supercross is too glamorous for the rednecks. That's why the rednecks will never concede that RC will never completely trump MC.

Post a reply to: McGrath on the GOAT

The Latest