Matty B Racer X interview.

mb60
Just read the racer x interview with Matty B and sounds like his ride fell through. But when asked if he had a bike to ride it sounded like he was w/o any resources. What seems to be the problem with these guys that can't go buy a bike and put in the work to secure a ride ?
|
GD2
Fantasy
815th
10/13/2016 8:07am
Interview

There's the interview for those of you that haven't read it.
twotwosix
10/13/2016 8:14am Edited Date/Time 10/13/2016 8:30am
6th place in a National and the guy cannot get a ride.... I thought we were coming out of the 'recession era'

If the Factory teams would run 3 man teams instead of 2 man teams, it would open up so many more rides...
Dtat720
10/13/2016 8:23am
We are still neck deep in the recession era..... dont let the stock market fool ya. Things may look good to the naked eye but the economy is still garbage and not getting any better any time soon. It takes money to field riders and money isnt there right now to justify the added costs associated.
Premixed112
10/13/2016 8:24am
I didn't really follow pro motocross too well until a few years ago. Has it ever been this bad with top 10 guys not getting rides? This is ridiculous..

The Shop

hvaughn88
10/13/2016 8:27am
What a bummer. On the issue of having a bike, if I was a rider now, I would push for a stipulation in my contract that part of my deal would include a stock bike for me to keep. If you're a racer, you need a bike. I know, I know, probably won't happen. But it would be worth a shot.
agn5009
10/13/2016 8:32am
I didn't really follow pro motocross too well until a few years ago. Has it ever been this bad with top 10 guys not getting rides...
I didn't really follow pro motocross too well until a few years ago. Has it ever been this bad with top 10 guys not getting rides? This is ridiculous..
I like Matt B and I really hope he gets a ride. But here's the problem, he's not "normally" a top 10 guy. He had a great year and was "in it" so to speak but the majority of the top guys were out. I hate to say it because I sound like a dick but with all of the other guys returning Matt will be around 15th. Dungey, Canard, Bogle, Stew, Anderson, Baggett, Hahn, Tickle just to name a few will be in front of Matt the majority of the time. Now we add in Webb to the 450 class it's understandable why Matt isn't getting a factory ride. With all that said, I believe he will find a decent ride.
twotwosix
10/13/2016 8:33am
They don't buy bikes because they don't need to. These factory level 20 year old guys lease houses in FL or SoCal with small two car garages in suburban neighborhoods and their teams always provide them with practice bikes. They really don't have to buy bikes until they are out of a ride, which usually doesn't happen for more than a month.
Premixed112
10/13/2016 9:04am
I didn't really follow pro motocross too well until a few years ago. Has it ever been this bad with top 10 guys not getting rides...
agn5009 wrote:
I like Matt B and I really hope he gets a ride. But here's the problem, he's not "normally" a top 10 guy. He had a...
I like Matt B and I really hope he gets a ride. But here's the problem, he's not "normally" a top 10 guy. He had a great year and was "in it" so to speak but the majority of the top guys were out. I hate to say it because I sound like a dick but with all of the other guys returning Matt will be around 15th. Dungey, Canard, Bogle, Stew, Anderson, Baggett, Hahn, Tickle just to name a few will be in front of Matt the majority of the time. Now we add in Webb to the 450 class it's understandable why Matt isn't getting a factory ride. With all that said, I believe he will find a decent ride.
I mostly agree, but going by what's said often in this sport: "you're only as good as your last race.", his last races were great, so that's gotta be worth at least a ride on one of the small teams like motorcycle superstore, motoconcepts, traders etc. But still you see guys that get decent results struggling. It's just sad that there's a sport where multiple guys who are capable of performing, can't participate because of lack of support.
agn5009
10/13/2016 9:57am
agn5009 wrote:
I like Matt B and I really hope he gets a ride. But here's the problem, he's not "normally" a top 10 guy. He had a...
I mostly agree, but going by what's said often in this sport: "you're only as good as your last race.", his last races were great, so...
I mostly agree, but going by what's said often in this sport: "you're only as good as your last race.", his last races were great, so that's gotta be worth at least a ride on one of the small teams like motorcycle superstore, motoconcepts, traders etc. But still you see guys that get decent results struggling. It's just sad that there's a sport where multiple guys who are capable of performing, can't participate because of lack of support.
"you're only good as your last race" was a quote by RC I believe. It's actually a really stupid quote and not true at all. We've seen it time and time again. If it were true we wouldn't see guys like Stewart, Canard, Hahn and Wilson continuously get great rides.

This is how it breaks down:

There's currently 3 guys who have a realistic chance at winning championships. Dungey, Roczen and Tomac. Webb may be thrown in there but he hasn't proven that yet.

We have a few guys who can snag one or two races per year. Anderson, Barcia, Musquin, Baggett, Seeley, Canard and I'm going to throw Webb in this group for now. Those guys will get great rides, no doubts about it.

We have a group of guys who can snag a couple podiums per year and consistently hover around the top ten: Tickle, Bogle, Stewart, Reed, Brayton, Millsaps, Grant, Wilson, Pourcel and Weimer. These guys will all have good rides offered to them.

Now, here's what is consistent about all of the guys listed above. They have championships on their resumes. Championships get you good rides.

So now we have all the rest of the guys fighting for a spot on a team. Guys who can crack into the top 10, or even the top 5 when things go completely ideal for them. We have guys like Matt B, Bloss, Nicoletti, Peick and Noren who may be fighting for a ride.

These are just guys I'm naming off the top of my head. I'm sure I forgot a handful. But take all of this into consideration. I just listed 20+ guys, the majority of which have great rides lined up for 2017. The ones who don't, like Stewart and Wilson, will have good rides before the start of the season.

Everyone says there ain't enough rides or whatever. I just listed 20+ guys who are currently making a very nice living riding MX. Here's another kicker, I haven't included any 250 riders.

kkawboy14
10/13/2016 9:59am
It won't be long riders will be paying for a ride like Indy cars?
Premixed112
10/13/2016 10:31am
agn5009 wrote:
"you're only good as your last race" was a quote by RC I believe. It's actually a really stupid quote and not true at all. We've...
"you're only good as your last race" was a quote by RC I believe. It's actually a really stupid quote and not true at all. We've seen it time and time again. If it were true we wouldn't see guys like Stewart, Canard, Hahn and Wilson continuously get great rides.

There's currently 3 guys who have a realistic chance at winning championships. Dungey, Roczen and Tomac. Webb may be thrown in there but he hasn't proven that yet.

We have a few guys who can snag one or two races per year. Anderson, Barcia, Musquin, Baggett, Seeley, Canard and I'm going to throw Webb in this group for now. Those guys will get great rides, no doubts about it.

We have a group of guys who can snag a couple podiums per year and consistently hover around the top ten: Tickle, Bogle, Stewart, Reed, Brayton, Millsaps, Grant, Wilson, Pourcel and Weimer. These guys will all have good rides offered to them.

Now, here's what is consistent about all of the guys listed above. They have championships on their resumes. Championships get you good rides.

So now we have all the rest of the guys fighting for a spot on a team. Guys who can crack into the top 10, or even the top 5 when things go completely ideal for them. We have guys like Matt B, Bloss, Nicoletti, Peick and Noren who may be fighting for a ride.

These are just guys I'm naming off the top of my head. I'm sure I forgot a handful. But take all of this into consideration. I just listed 20+ guys, the majority of which have great rides lined up for 2017. The ones who don't, like Stewart and Wilson, will have good rides before the start of the season.

Everyone says there ain't enough rides or whatever. I just listed 20+ guys who are currently making a very nice living riding MX. Here's another kicker, I haven't included any 250 riders.

Ironically, I actually think that quote shouldn't be referred to as often as it does because anyone can have different results, for better or worse, on any given season given certain factors. All I'm saying is, it seems like this industry takes it to heart. For example, I think Bloss got his most recent resigning based off of his performance this season. If he hadn't done well, he'd probably be in the same position that Matt's in right now.
tylermx967
10/13/2016 10:44am
MATT IS ONE OF MY FAVERITE RIDERS BEACASE HE IS FORM TEXAS AND RIDES SUSUKI
agn5009
10/13/2016 10:48am
agn5009 wrote:
"you're only good as your last race" was a quote by RC I believe. It's actually a really stupid quote and not true at all. We've...

Ironically, I actually think that quote shouldn't be referred to as often as it does because anyone can have different results, for better or worse, on...
Ironically, I actually think that quote shouldn't be referred to as often as it does because anyone can have different results, for better or worse, on any given season given certain factors. All I'm saying is, it seems like this industry takes it to heart. For example, I think Bloss got his most recent resigning based off of his performance this season. If he hadn't done well, he'd probably be in the same position that Matt's in right now.
Bloss is a little different though I think. Mainly because he was a true rookie and he really turned it up toward the end of the season. Matt seemed to struggle toward the end if I remember correctly. Bloss should really improve in his second year. I really believe Matt will come up with a decent ride in the end. But for those last 5 guys I named it was just more difficult and more unknown for them for a while. It'll work out though, it almost always does for the top 20 riders.
agn5009
10/13/2016 10:51am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Which of the top 20 guys are even close to paying for their own ride other than maybe Stewart? We both know Matt and Dean will both get rides.

And Stewart could definitely get a ride. Just not one with the amount of money he wants. This is what is causing him to fund his own team, which in reality won't be funded by him. It'll be funded by sponsor money.
kkawboy14
10/13/2016 11:11am Edited Date/Time 10/13/2016 11:12am
kkawboy14 wrote:
agn5009 wrote:
Which of the top 20 guys are even close to paying for their own ride other than maybe Stewart? We both know Matt and Dean will...
Which of the top 20 guys are even close to paying for their own ride other than maybe Stewart? We both know Matt and Dean will both get rides.

And Stewart could definitely get a ride. Just not one with the amount of money he wants. This is what is causing him to fund his own team, which in reality won't be funded by him. It'll be funded by sponsor money.
So if Stewart is paying for his own ride....who's next?

A riders sponsors could pay for the ride for the rider but then that takes personal sponsor dollars out of the riders pocket, so that is basically the rider paying for a ride.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
10/13/2016 11:24am
agn5009 wrote:

I guess we can agree to disagree on your list of riders.
But to clear the air.... Weston Peick and Nicoletti have been signed by JGR already.
Look for Nicoletti to ride the 250 for JGR, with Bisceglia to ride the other one, if the cards fall in his favor.
twotwosix
10/13/2016 11:56am
langhammx wrote:
I guess we can agree to disagree on your list of riders. But to clear the air.... Weston Peick and Nicoletti have been signed by JGR...
But to clear the air.... Weston Peick and Nicoletti have been signed by JGR already.
Look for Nicoletti to ride the 250 for JGR, with Bisceglia to ride the other one, if the cards fall in his favor.
"Just as he has done the past several seasons, Phillip Nicoletti will race the entire Motocross season and will substitute if needed during Supercross."

I don't believe you will see Phil on a 250.
system
10/13/2016 12:19pm
Dtat720 wrote:
We are still neck deep in the recession era..... dont let the stock market fool ya. Things may look good to the naked eye but the...
We are still neck deep in the recession era..... dont let the stock market fool ya. Things may look good to the naked eye but the economy is still garbage and not getting any better any time soon. It takes money to field riders and money isnt there right now to justify the added costs associated.
It has more to do with SX/MX teams inability to find sponsorship outside of the sport. Companies are spending more money on marketing than ever, they just aren't spending it in SX/MX. The sport, as a whole, needs to do a better job marketing itself and making it more appealing to non-endemic sponsors. The target consumer, male 18-35, is spot on so it's pretty frustrating that they (promoters and teams) can't find willing sponsors.
kiwifan
10/13/2016 12:39pm
Dtat720 wrote:
We are still neck deep in the recession era..... dont let the stock market fool ya. Things may look good to the naked eye but the...
system wrote:
It has more to do with SX/MX teams inability to find sponsorship outside of the sport. Companies are spending more money on marketing than ever, they...
It has more to do with SX/MX teams inability to find sponsorship outside of the sport. Companies are spending more money on marketing than ever, they just aren't spending it in SX/MX. The sport, as a whole, needs to do a better job marketing itself and making it more appealing to non-endemic sponsors. The target consumer, male 18-35, is spot on so it's pretty frustrating that they (promoters and teams) can't find willing sponsors.
this, and the fact that there are simply a lot more riders vying for a top 450 ride than in previous years
agn5009
10/13/2016 2:18pm
agn5009 wrote:

langhammx wrote:
I guess we can agree to disagree on your list of riders. But to clear the air.... Weston Peick and Nicoletti have been signed by JGR...
What exactly is there to disagree about? Every one of those riders are top 20 material. Almost every one has a ride or will soon have a ride. Stewart being the exception because he hasn't done shit in how many years? He simply won't get a ride due to his inability to finish races and the amount of money a team would have to pay for him. Which is the reason why he will most likely pit out of his own team. And he will still make good money doing it.
tmx860
10/13/2016 2:31pm
is Bloss paying for his ride?
crf250pilot
10/13/2016 3:26pm Edited Date/Time 10/13/2016 3:29pm
tylermx967 wrote:
MATT IS ONE OF MY FAVERITE RIDERS BEACASE HE IS FORM TEXAS AND RIDES SUSUKI
I think he should stick wih the Zook and be ready as a fill in rider. Lots of teams with Suzuki now.
stash124
10/13/2016 4:38pm
mb60 wrote:
Just read the racer x interview with Matty B and sounds like his ride fell through. But when asked if he had a bike to ride...
Just read the racer x interview with Matty B and sounds like his ride fell through. But when asked if he had a bike to ride it sounded like he was w/o any resources. What seems to be the problem with these guys that can't go buy a bike and put in the work to secure a ride ?
I don't follow what your stating here. He acknowledged the idea of doing his own thing if need be, but that he is still currently working on a deal. Personally, I wouldn't blame him at all for not blowing what money he's made up to this point, just in HOPE of landing another factory ride one day. The expenses to be competitive at that level are insane.
Sully
10/13/2016 5:32pm
I think Langham's right about JGR. There aren't very many capable 250 guys without rides, so Matt's chances are better there than holding out for a 450 ride.
kkawboy14
10/13/2016 5:54pm
Dtat720 wrote:
system wrote:
It has more to do with SX/MX teams inability to find sponsorship outside of the sport. Companies are spending more money on marketing than ever, they...
The series gets money and promotes itself well. The teams and privateers get very little. A pop up sponsor ad while a particular rider is on screen would help the exposure for riders.
kott0n
Fantasy
3769th
10/13/2016 8:48pm
Seems like the rules need to change around cc's so privateers can compete at the highest level, if its that hard to be in the game with a top 10 national finish.

I also don't understand how these guys don't save up the 7k and buy a stock bike...
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
10/13/2016 9:55pm
twotwosix wrote:
"Just as he has done the past several seasons, Phillip Nicoletti will race the entire Motocross season and will substitute if needed during Supercross." I don't...
"Just as he has done the past several seasons, Phillip Nicoletti will race the entire Motocross season and will substitute if needed during Supercross."

I don't believe you will see Phil on a 250.
I hope you're right, but it's being thrown around pretty heavy. I didn't even think he'd be eligible to ride SX on a 250, the way the rules are stated, But I guess time will tell. I'd really like to see Cunningham end up on one of them, if Albertsons team doesn't return, he's still got some fight left in him.

I saw the Team intro pics with Phil on a 450 and what was printed, but sometimes the details are not finalized. If he's NOT racing the 250, I wonder what his role will be ? He's done a good job for them, hopefully he ends up with the job that he wants. Seems like a good guy...

langhammx
Fantasy
455th
10/13/2016 10:05pm
Sully wrote:
I think Langham's right about JGR. There aren't very many capable 250 guys without rides, so Matt's chances are better there than holding out for a...
I think Langham's right about JGR. There aren't very many capable 250 guys without rides, so Matt's chances are better there than holding out for a 450 ride.
He did a good job filling in on the 450 for Yosh, but he also had a falling out with the Dirt Candy team at the beginning of the year. Dirt Candy is doing the graphics and I'm sure they're paying good money to do so. I wonder if any hard feelings would get in the way . I have no idea how this will turn out....but his name has been coming up in seperate conversations in the last couple days.

mingham97
10/13/2016 11:27pm
He left dirt candy mid contract. Never burn bridges

Post a reply to: Matty B Racer X interview.

The Latest