Matthes cites 2017 Supercross changes

Edited Date/Time 10/27/2015 5:05pm
"We have to do something different in our sport; it’s been the same for way too long. If you’re not evolving, you’re dying. It’s time to shake the series up.. ... And I heard in 2017, supercross is indeed going to be shaken up. I, for one, can't wait"

http://racerxonline.com/2015/10/21/btosportscom-observations-monster-en…

Would love to know what kind of changes are coming down the pike. My guess is the points system will change (maybe an extra point for a holeshot, etc) or perhaps a "playoff" of sorts to determine the champion for the final few races similar to NASCAR's chase format.
|
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
10/22/2015 7:02am
I hope they don't change the qualifying format. While the 3 main events format for MEC is cool, I enjoy watching qualifying races for a few reasons. First and foremost there are usually some great battles to watch but it's also an opportunity to see guys who are on the bubble of making the main like the seven deuce deuce and who doesn't like to see the seven deuce deuce get some air time?

I think restructuring the points system is a good start to make the qualifying races even more important. 2 main events would be cool but not sure it'd be possible with the limited time without taking out qualifying. I'm not sure about adding the joker lane... We are already limited on floor space.
Starcrossed
10/22/2015 7:26am
I wouldn't mind seeing some minor changes. If they do go to a two main format, the semis for the 450s would probably be eliminated so there wouldn't be an issue with time. I don't think that any changes made to the points system would result in losing any of the current fans, and am willing to accept some growing pains in the interest of expanding the sport and making it possible for more riders to earn their living racing motorcycles.
ATKpilot99
10/22/2015 7:38am
Joker lanes and some form of chase format would suck in my opinion . Holeshot points , maybe an extra point for mosts laps led , qualifying points etc. wouldn't be bad.
500guy
10/22/2015 7:40am
I think it will be a points reset like Arenacross

The Shop

MX Culture
10/22/2015 7:45am
Arenacross has worked and has been exciting the last few seasons to be honest.
mx_phreek
Fantasy
210th
10/22/2015 7:57am
How about making it more value for money. Having the guys on the track more and getting rid of half of the fluff they use to fill time between races for us people who pay through the nose so see their favourite rider. And especially us who fly half way across world to see a sx race in person. Average sx lap time of 48 seconds, 8 lap heat is six and half minutes, 20 lap main sixteen minutes!.
Here's a novel idea, extending the race length then you won't need as much crap in between the races to pass the time till the next race. They say they're under time constraints, Call bull on that, add 2 laps to a heat is a min and a half as they're already on track. They need to make mains longer please, give us 20 min main instead of 20 45 seconds laps.
I've rambled on enough I'll stop.
IWreckALot
10/22/2015 8:15am
500guy wrote:
I really dislike this idea. Points reset is robbing the guys who try hard at the beginning of the season. And what does the first part of the season count for anyways?

My suggestion is similar but different. Split the 450 into east and west coast like the 250's, but offer a regional championship for the 450 east and a regional championship for the west and still give an overall championship for whoever has the most points at the end of the season. This would allow injured guys an opportunity to come back and have something to fight for, it would allow privateers to compete in a "complete" championship if finances are a hurdle making the whole circuit and it doesn't disrupt a season long battle for a championship.

MX_Phreek, I think the problem with straying from the 20 lapper is that the track gets EXTREMELY chewed up by the last lap of the 450 main. There are remedies to this problem but longer mains fixes one problem and presents another. I think a :60 lap minimum is probably the best idea.

They got rid of Dianna so hopefully they're dropping the Twitter horseshit. . . That takes up a segment's worth of time every race it seems.
500guy
10/22/2015 8:17am
mx_phreek wrote:
How about making it more value for money. Having the guys on the track more and getting rid of half of the fluff they use to...
How about making it more value for money. Having the guys on the track more and getting rid of half of the fluff they use to fill time between races for us people who pay through the nose so see their favourite rider. And especially us who fly half way across world to see a sx race in person. Average sx lap time of 48 seconds, 8 lap heat is six and half minutes, 20 lap main sixteen minutes!.
Here's a novel idea, extending the race length then you won't need as much crap in between the races to pass the time till the next race. They say they're under time constraints, Call bull on that, add 2 laps to a heat is a min and a half as they're already on track. They need to make mains longer please, give us 20 min main instead of 20 45 seconds laps.
I've rambled on enough I'll stop.
You have no clue how hard it is for a rider and Team to stay on schedule as it is, From personal experience The riders and Teams go full out from about 10Am until 11 PM when the trucks get loaded. The breaks in between are necessary and hardly enough.

From a Fans perspective when I go for practice and the race , I've had more than my fill by 10 PM , having riders on the track to suit your whims will not make the quality of anything go up.
500guy
10/22/2015 8:23am
"We have to do something different in our sport; it’s been the same for way too long. If you’re not evolving, you’re dying. It’s time to shake the series up.. ... And I heard in 2017, supercross is indeed going to be shaken up. I, for one, can't wait"

So just for grins explain to me Major League Baseball or NFL Football they seem to keep the same scoring and aside from shuffling teams and conferences they grow.
I don't follow Hockey but I haven't heard about changes to the scoring or games either.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
278th
10/22/2015 8:51am
I hope it's not points for qualifying. While it in theory can make the points closer, it has the potential to allow a dominant rider dominate even further. If in 2009 when James won every heat race to Chad winning a couple. That 4 point championship show down would have been a 20 point run away.

If they go to Chase format the winner/points leader at the cut off should win a bonus of some sort. $100,000? 12 races to qualify by winning a round or being in the top 12 in points, 5 race chase. Then do the Nascar elimination round format, Top 12 in points, two races and 4 are eliminated, two more and 4 more eliminated and the Vegad final would be a 4 rider winner take all championship. In 2006 we basically had that scenario between RC, Chad, and Bubba and the drama was high even though there wasn't a single pass made.

I think the riders that would make the Chase would get more exposure, but the riders missing out would be even further ignored. Seasons where it comes down to the final round with any intensity are rare. 2011, 2009, 2006, 2003, 1997, 1992, 1990, 1985. 9 out of 30 years.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
10/22/2015 8:55am
I wouldn't mind seeing some minor changes. If they do go to a two main format, the semis for the 450s would probably be eliminated so...
I wouldn't mind seeing some minor changes. If they do go to a two main format, the semis for the 450s would probably be eliminated so there wouldn't be an issue with time. I don't think that any changes made to the points system would result in losing any of the current fans, and am willing to accept some growing pains in the interest of expanding the sport and making it possible for more riders to earn their living racing motorcycles.
How about eliminating the LCQ instead?
10/22/2015 9:01am
GuyB wrote:
How about eliminating the LCQ instead?
...that would work...until a top guy doesn't qualify...
Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1666th
10/22/2015 9:04am
Add paint ball guns to the bikes. People following should be able to shoot the rider in front of them.
Silliker269
10/22/2015 9:21am
Yeah Dave Prater was on the show Monday and said nothing new this year but expect some things in 2017. Sounded like he was a fan of the joker lane so I could see that at a few rounds. Myself I would like to see 2 - 15 min motos
Spartacus
10/22/2015 9:37am
Moto_Geek wrote:
Add paint ball guns to the bikes. People following should be able to shoot the rider in front of them.
Or sharks with frickin lasers on their heads.
bultokid
10/22/2015 9:38am
NASCAR style points is freaking lame
10/22/2015 9:46am Edited Date/Time 10/22/2015 9:46am
The Gp's recently announced changes to the points system for next season (Position 1: 5 points; pos. 2: 4 pts; pos. 3: 3 pts; pos. 4: 2 pts; pos. 5: 1 pt for qualification race results).

I can see something in those lines happening to bring more hype in sx (but for heat races then instead i guess). It would greatly increase the incentive to not only finish strong for a good gate pick for the main but also award some points.

Then again those changes could be anything, i personally don't feel the need for a joker lane in the ama sx series.
Hut
10/22/2015 10:47am
125cc regional pinger class, 250 class (2stroke or 4stroke) goes nationwide and no more 450s Laughing

Please lord don't let them do some stupid gimmick like "joker lane". Dry
dak446
10/22/2015 11:14am
Moto_Geek wrote:
Spartacus wrote:
Or sharks with frickin lasers on their heads.
Simple, elegant, I like it.
10/22/2015 11:23am
500guy wrote:
"We have to do something different in our sport; it’s been the same for way too long. If you’re not evolving, you’re dying. It’s time to...

So just for grins explain to me Major League Baseball or NFL Football they seem to keep the same scoring and aside from shuffling teams and conferences they grow.
I don't follow Hockey but I haven't heard about changes to the scoring or games either.
To compare scoring in ball sports vs scoring in motor sports is apples and oranges, in my opinion.
moto455va
10/22/2015 11:33am
500guy wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
I really dislike this idea. Points reset is robbing the guys who try hard at the beginning of the season. And what does the first part...
I really dislike this idea. Points reset is robbing the guys who try hard at the beginning of the season. And what does the first part of the season count for anyways?

My suggestion is similar but different. Split the 450 into east and west coast like the 250's, but offer a regional championship for the 450 east and a regional championship for the west and still give an overall championship for whoever has the most points at the end of the season. This would allow injured guys an opportunity to come back and have something to fight for, it would allow privateers to compete in a "complete" championship if finances are a hurdle making the whole circuit and it doesn't disrupt a season long battle for a championship.

MX_Phreek, I think the problem with straying from the 20 lapper is that the track gets EXTREMELY chewed up by the last lap of the 450 main. There are remedies to this problem but longer mains fixes one problem and presents another. I think a :60 lap minimum is probably the best idea.

They got rid of Dianna so hopefully they're dropping the Twitter horseshit. . . That takes up a segment's worth of time every race it seems.
See I dont agree with a chase format being bad. If everyone knows at the beginning of the season that its a chase at the end, then nobody is going to try insanely hard at the beginning of the season, and we will probably see a bunch of different guys on the podium, and less injuries because guys arent going all out all the time. I mean, it worked amazingly with arenacross, definitely increased their viewership, which would be awesome for supercross. I dont really see too many downsides to it.
Tpog496
10/22/2015 11:50am
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Joker lanes and some form of chase format would suck in my opinion . Holeshot points , maybe an extra point for mosts laps led...
Joker lanes and some form of chase format would suck in my opinion . Holeshot points , maybe an extra point for mosts laps led , qualifying points etc. wouldn't be bad.
I feel like that would make points battles less competitive. Like the guys who are winning races are the same guys getting holeshots and leading the most laps, further lengthening their points lead.
bsharkey
10/22/2015 12:02pm
bigger payouts are what need to change the most. imagine if you took the 1 million from monstercup and divided it up between all 17 rounds
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
10/22/2015 12:08pm
bsharkey wrote:
bigger payouts are what need to change the most. imagine if you took the 1 million from monstercup and divided it up between all 17 rounds
Well the $1 million is paid from an insurance policy as the odds are against it happening. The guaranteed 1st place check is $100,000 and that divided by 17 rounds is a lot less than the current purse.
moto282
10/22/2015 12:48pm
I really don't like the idea of points reset/chase or joker lane. Changing the format just to make it different seems like a weak argument and doesn't make sense to me. I hope they leave the format alone unless it's just changes to qualifying.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2362nd
10/22/2015 12:54pm
I would like to see a two moto format brought in. run them for shorter laps and hand out points based on overall. also I like the idea of a third class.

~ more main event motors 2/12-15 laps
~ convert 250 series to full fledged series with 2 motos 10 laps each
~ pro am regional series with 125s or 250s
~ purse money i think should go up as well. Its been around 60k each round for years
731chopper
Fantasy
355th
10/22/2015 1:01pm
I would like to see a two moto format brought in. run them for shorter laps and hand out points based on overall. also I like...
I would like to see a two moto format brought in. run them for shorter laps and hand out points based on overall. also I like the idea of a third class.

~ more main event motors 2/12-15 laps
~ convert 250 series to full fledged series with 2 motos 10 laps each
~ pro am regional series with 125s or 250s
~ purse money i think should go up as well. Its been around 60k each round for years
Purse went up this year. Don't remember how much. http://www.amasupercross.com/rules/pdf/2015/Bulletins/SX%20Purse%202015…

Post a reply to: Matthes cites 2017 Supercross changes

The Latest