Man punched at PIR motocross died of blunt force head trauma, autopsy found

Spankey
Edited Date/Time 12/30/2015 3:21pm
Man punched at PIR motocross died of blunt force head trauma, autopsy found

Print Email Maxine Bernstein | The Oregonian/OregonLive By Maxine Bernstein | The Oregonian/OregonLive The Oregonian
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on July 13, 2015 at 9:00 AM, updated July 13, 2015 at 9:03 AM Comments
Anthony Mancuso, the 61-year-old man who was punched by another man during last week's Thursday night motocross event at Portland International Raceway, died of blunt force trauma, said Dr. Larry Lewman of the Oregon medical examiner's office.

The manner of death has been ruled a homicide, Lewman said Monday.

Officers were called to the raceway at 8:17 p.m. after reports that the families of two motocross riders were fighting.

Police initially arrested Michael T. Taylor, 50, on allegations of fourth-degree assault Thursday night, but then dismissed the charge after Mancuso died from his injuries, pending a grand jury review.

Mancuso fell and struck the back of his head on pavement, causing a skull fracture and subdural hematoma, said Lewman, a deputy state medical examiner.

It wasn't the punch, but the impact of his head striking the ground that caused his death, he said. "It's an accelerated head injury,'' Lewman said.

Police are preparing to present new charges to a grand jury, police said. Portland police, meanwhile, have been seeking out witnesses and video of the incident.

Taylor told county court officials that he was defending his son, a motocross rider, from bullying by another rider and his father. He noted that there's been an ongoing bullying problem at the track, according to court records.

Yet, according to Mancuso's family and friends, Taylor came to Mancuso's pit and, without warning, punched the elder Mancuso after Mancuso's and Taylor's sons had been clashing on the race track.

Detectives Mark Slater and Erik Kammerer have been assigned to the investigation. They're requesting that anyone who witnessed the assault or might have video of the incident to contact them.

|
kawasa84
7/13/2015 4:52pm
Wow, how sad, just ridiculous. I hope whoever is at fault, the truth comes out, and if someone need to be punished by the law, the family gets justice.
OR Racer46
Fantasy
876th
7/13/2015 4:59pm
I keep reading people had it on video ? Why are they not showing the police ?
FIREfish148
7/13/2015 5:11pm
My thoughts and prayers to the Mancuso family. Seems like I used to race w/ a mancuso on 80s back in the late 90's. Tragic on both sides. Is there a go fund me page for the mancuso fam?
7/13/2015 5:21pm
kawasa84 wrote:
Wow, how sad, just ridiculous. I hope whoever is at fault, the truth comes out, and if someone need to be punished by the law, the...
Wow, how sad, just ridiculous. I hope whoever is at fault, the truth comes out, and if someone need to be punished by the law, the family gets justice.
Couldn't have said it better myself

The Shop

lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
7/13/2015 6:32pm
OR Racer46 wrote:
I bet they have seen the video, they dismissed the assault charges after he died and now after a review can charge him with manslaughter or what ever they decide or they can choose not to charge him at all, just depends what the investigation uncovers.
500guy
7/13/2015 7:01pm
lots of conflicting reports about the bullying , I think most are agreeing it was a sucker punch.
kawirider819
7/13/2015 7:06pm Edited Date/Time 7/13/2015 7:08pm
500guy wrote:
lots of conflicting reports about the bullying , I think most are agreeing it was a sucker punch.
People that sucker punch are some of the worst scum on earth. Hopefully someone got it on video so they can give this guy what he deserves (if that is in fact what happend.)
jeffro503
7/13/2015 8:00pm
The do in fact have it on video. Court date I think is set for this next Friday. I was contacted to keep names out of it. But the bottom line is , I hope that SOB goes away for a long time. To make a long story short , the two boys of both the fathers ride aggressively. And the one I have known for many , many years , has a hot head and has been in trouble a few different times at other tracks for getting in fights. It bums me out when I hear it , because when I'm around him , he's just an awesome kid. So that's how it started , and then the other moto dad ( that I don't know personally but know who he is ) came over and sucker punched The guy I do know , and it killed him.
Joemx
7/13/2015 10:07pm
I find it sad these days how people will sit back and video tape and watch incidents like this as if it's some sort of entertainment, but will do nothing to try to stop it. This includes all the sexual assaults, beatings, robberies, etc that get videoed for these people's entertainment.
ky_savage
Fantasy
490th
7/13/2015 10:15pm
Joemx wrote:
I find it sad these days how people will sit back and video tape and watch incidents like this as if it's some sort of entertainment...
I find it sad these days how people will sit back and video tape and watch incidents like this as if it's some sort of entertainment, but will do nothing to try to stop it. This includes all the sexual assaults, beatings, robberies, etc that get videoed for these people's entertainment.
I agree. The people who video should be prosecuted as well.
MX690
7/13/2015 10:18pm
500guy wrote:
In Australia a "Sucker Punch" is or was referred to as a "King hit" that terminology has now been changed, a "sucker punch" or "king hit" is now referred to and reported as a "cowards punch" in most instances cowards punch is appropriate. This seems like one of these instances. No one should lose their life simply by going to watch a family member do something that is generally considered a family sport. RIP to the man who died for no reason and let's hope justice can be served for the families sake.
jeffro503
7/13/2015 10:37pm Edited Date/Time 7/13/2015 10:37pm
Joemx wrote:
I find it sad these days how people will sit back and video tape and watch incidents like this as if it's some sort of entertainment...
ky_savage wrote:
God dang it. You guys need to read the other couple threads on this same subject. The guy was video taping an argument , and the punches happened within about 1 second. Shit hit the fan after , but nobody was expecting him to punch Tony. It was out of the blue. They didn't video tape a fight , it was over within a blink of an eye. And the guy who taped it , got it to the correct people for prosecution I think. It will help a lot.
Cancerman
7/13/2015 10:42pm
Joemx wrote:
ky_savage wrote:
jeffro503 wrote:
God dang it. You guys need to read the other couple threads on this same subject. The guy was video taping an argument , and the...
God dang it. You guys need to read the other couple threads on this same subject. The guy was video taping an argument , and the punches happened within about 1 second. Shit hit the fan after , but nobody was expecting him to punch Tony. It was out of the blue. They didn't video tape a fight , it was over within a blink of an eye. And the guy who taped it , got it to the correct people for prosecution I think. It will help a lot.
I'm sorry for the family, and I'm sorry for you, as you knew this gentleman, and are close to this situation. I'm sorry for you loss. I'm glad somebody saw and filmed this argument that turned fatal.
fullfloater
Fantasy
10th
7/13/2015 11:54pm
MX690: Changing it from King Hit to Coward's Punch is a really good move.
Reggsie
7/14/2015 1:43am
Joemx wrote:
ky_savage wrote:
Even though having said video could mean the correct person is prosecuted/acquitted thanks to video evidence when all the authorities might have had to go on otherwise was hearsay? Getting involved may have just escalated things further.
RedDirtDog
7/14/2015 1:56am
Joemx wrote:
the person video tapeing could be a woman or even a kid, or some guy who doesnt feel like getting his ass kicked. I doubt theyre video taping it for entertainment
ky_savage
Fantasy
490th
7/14/2015 3:57am
jeffro503 wrote:
God dang it. You guys need to read the other couple threads on this same subject. The guy was video taping an argument , and the...
My reply wasn't just about this situation, it was towards any that stand by and watch something go down and do nothing.
Excaliburbmx
7/14/2015 5:33am
I jumped in a man hitting a woman very bad and when I pushed him on his ass his women started hitting me. She had a black eye and bloody mouth and was hitting me. So if someone walked up it wouldn't look good for me.

I try not to get into stuff because of this kind of outcome.
Jeff alessi
7/14/2015 5:49am
One man dead and another probably gonna sit in a jail cell for awhile, two kids just lost there fathers. To me everyone needs to stop and think about that for a minute and realize the devastation both families are going threw. This is why i don't fight anymore, no matter how bad I'm instigated I will always walk away. It's to bad these guys didnt find a way to settle it before one of them was killed.
newmann
7/14/2015 6:14am
From everything I've read, sounds like the dead guy took a bit of pride in his son being a total jackass both on and off the track. Damn shame people have to be this way.
dsmith
Fantasy
1485th
7/14/2015 6:18am Edited Date/Time 7/14/2015 6:19am
I jumped in a man hitting a woman very bad and when I pushed him on his ass his women started hitting me. She had a...
I jumped in a man hitting a woman very bad and when I pushed him on his ass his women started hitting me. She had a black eye and bloody mouth and was hitting me. So if someone walked up it wouldn't look good for me.

yes..you end up shooting yourself in the foot.....sometimes its better to MYOB depending on the situation...one of my friends is a reeeeaaaaal cat lover..he seen a cat locked in a shut down business...there was a phone# on the door...I told him don't do it...he called...called the lady a dumb bitch and a slut...she called the cops on him and he got arrested for that and a couple other charges...LOL
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
7/14/2015 6:38am Edited Date/Time 7/14/2015 6:41am
OR Racer46 wrote:
A better question is why didn't they stop it.

That's the problem with society today, They'd rather video it than step in and help.
7/14/2015 6:42am
I jumped in a man hitting a woman very bad and when I pushed him on his ass his women started hitting me. She had a...

dsmith wrote:
yes..you end up shooting yourself in the foot.....sometimes its better to MYOB depending on the situation...one of my friends is a reeeeaaaaal cat lover..he seen a...
yes..you end up shooting yourself in the foot.....sometimes its better to MYOB depending on the situation...one of my friends is a reeeeaaaaal cat lover..he seen a cat locked in a shut down business...there was a phone# on the door...I told him don't do it...he called...called the lady a dumb bitch and a slut...she called the cops on him and he got arrested for that and a couple other charges...LOL
But how could you possibly have the foresight to know. Excalibur's situation could have went one of two ways. The woman could have been thankful.
ChrisB10
7/14/2015 6:43am
500guy wrote:
People that sucker punch are some of the worst scum on earth. Hopefully someone got it on video so they can give this guy what he...
People that sucker punch are some of the worst scum on earth. Hopefully someone got it on video so they can give this guy what he deserves (if that is in fact what happend.)
+1
dsmith
Fantasy
1485th
7/14/2015 6:53am Edited Date/Time 7/14/2015 6:54am

dsmith wrote:
yes..you end up shooting yourself in the foot.....sometimes its better to MYOB depending on the situation...one of my friends is a reeeeaaaaal cat lover..he seen a...
But how could you possibly have the foresight to know. Excalibur's situation could have went one of two ways. The woman could have been thankful.
haha...cause I know how this guy is..."fly off the handle psycho".....outcome= not so good....also he threatened the lady that he was going to break the window to rescue the cat....and I told him the cat was in there for mice or something.....he didn't listen
BAMX
7/14/2015 7:20am
OR Racer46 wrote:
UpTiTe wrote:
A better question is why didn't they stop it. That's the problem with society today, They'd rather video it than step in and help.
A better question is why didn't they stop it.

That's the problem with society today, They'd rather video it than step in and help.
Because stepping into someone else's argument is bad policy. Your chances of being in the fight are as good as your chances of stopping it.
UpTiTe
Fantasy
4091st
7/14/2015 7:20am
Joemx wrote:
ky_savage wrote:
Reggsie wrote:
Even though having said video could mean the correct person is prosecuted/acquitted thanks to video evidence when all the authorities might have had to go on...
Even though having said video could mean the correct person is prosecuted/acquitted thanks to video evidence when all the authorities might have had to go on otherwise was hearsay? Getting involved may have just escalated things further.
So even though you Might be preventing death or serious injury, you should just keep filming to prove who did it?. Nice logic. Sorry, But I'd rather keep someone out of a coffin then put someone in prison.

Post a reply to: Man punched at PIR motocross died of blunt force head trauma, autopsy found

The Latest