Malcolm Stewart Talks Suzukis & A2

twotwosix
1/19/2017 9:34am

http://mxvice.com/63210/chatter-box-malcolm-stewart

MX Vice: Here we are, just over two days away from Anaheim 2 and your debut. Talk us through everything that has gone in recent weeks, which has left you with a RIDE365 Seven Suzuki.

Malcolm Stewart: A lot of work has happened coming into this. Two weeks ago I still did not know what I was going to do, as the biggest problem was transportation. You know, a lot of riders or people wanted me to just go to a race. What is going to happen when I have to go back east though? [What is going to happen] when I have to go to Minneapolis, St. Louis, back to Seattle or even try to get my bikes to Canada? Transportation is a big deal. If you don’t have that in line, then you cannot go racing.

I felt that, with everything I did, Yoshimura definitely helped me out. I went into Yoshimura R&D, bought my motors and everything that I needed to race. I got a little bit of help from Showa too. Everything that you see on the motorcycles has definitely come out of my pocket. Don't get me wrong, some of it was not full price. I didn’t pay full retail on it! People have definitely helped me out a lot and I’m happy. I can’t go wrong and I’m just glad to be going racing again.
Malcolm Stewart will make his full-time 450SX debut at Anaheim 2

It was just the rig that stopped you from showing up at Anaheim 1 then? The bike and sponsors were all in place at that time?

I wanted to go to Anaheim 1, for sure, but two days before the race I was sat there looking at a stock bike. I tried and I tried, but the situation that I ran into was that when you are not factory and call these people you are on the backburner. You know what I mean? Everybody is stressing out and getting their stuff ready for Anaheim 1 with last-minute testing, so the last thing that they care about is Malcolm Stewart walking into the office and trying to get a motor. I understand that, from being on a team. I understand it from both sides. It is what it is! I am just glad that I am able to race and did not miss too many races.

When did this Suzuki deal come together? Did you know you were riding one before Christmas or was it even later than that?

No, this happened literally at the beginning of this year. I seriously just got a motor two days ago, still have zero testing and there is no suspension testing going on. I just went and bought my motors, they gave them to me and said ‘here you go.’ There is, for sure, no suspension testing that will happen this weekend. It is just going to be bolted on and if I do not like it then we’ll try again next week. I didn’t want to miss too many races, but I just wanted to go in there and do the best that I can. From what I have got, I don’t feel like I’m going to do bad.

Why Suzuki? Obviously you were testing quite a few bikes, so was it just a case of their not being anything on the table at all from the other manufacturers?

No, a dealer! I did not even get my motorcycles from Suzuki. Some kid that we sponsor, thank god we sponsor this kid, with Seven, his Dad so happened to be a Suzuki dealer. He was the one who gave me a motorcycle! I didn’t have a choice. It was either Suzuki or you are sitting on the couch and waiting for a Honda, Yamaha, Husqvarna or whatever. I am glad for that kid! That kid is definitely going to get all the gear and anything that he needs on me.

Going into this weekend, what result would you consider acceptable? Obviously the situation is not ideal but, like you said, you feel ready…

Yeah, I feel ready. You don't know how you are going to do until you get there. I could sit here and say that I am hoping to shoot for a top ten, top five or the box. You do not know until you have done your first race. Obviously I do expect one thing – that is to do good for myself and prove some people wrong. It is never going to happen at the first race, so we’ll just prove some people wrong by the end of the season. Like I said, my goal is to get out there and have fun.
Mookie was last seen on a CRF450 in Geneva, Switzerland (Sean Ogden)

I guess that eventually this will turn into a cool thing. You are under the Seven umbrella, so I guess you’ll have James alongside you at some point?

Maybe. I am hoping so. Hopefully he’ll shoot for around Daytona – there are a lot of predictions. Some people are saying that he might show up around Oakland, but nah. I don’t know where people get their rumours from but, god, whoever it is does a pretty damn good job. You’ll probably see him around the east rounds, but he still does not know the bike situation. I took all the motorcycles and parts, so he doesn't have anything for a Suzuki. He has none!

I don’t care. He is James Stewart and my brother, so I love him, but someone has got to go out there and race! You’ll definitely see him as we move towards the east rounds or maybe a little bit sooner, like at Dallas, but the first thing is getting him a manufacturer and some support.

Obviously you are heavily invested in this team, but are you open to fill-in rides if they become available or is this your deal for the rest of the year?

I am always open for deals. At the same time, RIDE365 have put a lot of money and effort into this. A lot of sponsors have helped me in a lot of ways, so I don’t want to burn a bridge to just do something for supercross. Whatever it is, the situation, it has to make sense. Obviously it is a privateer [effort] and the goal is to get back on a factory ride, hands down, but at the same time I don’t want to go into this, burn a bridge and end things on the wrong terms. I would definitely like fill-in rides and stuff like that, but it also has to make sense for me.

Interview: Lewis Phillips

|
NoahSuthy99
1/19/2017 9:44am
There's already a thread on this...
yzjs7
1/19/2017 9:47am
Interesting, people think oh they have money just race. There's so much that we don't see that has to happen. Malcolm has a lot of talent and he's dedicated so I hope all goes well and he can start to build off this.
EastFlorida
1/19/2017 9:47am
Should have ridden outdoors last season. Matt B did and secured a JGR ride. I believe most would support MS over MB, so that says something to me...
Dtat720
1/19/2017 9:52am
Should have ridden outdoors last season. Matt B did and secured a JGR ride. I believe most would support MS over MB, so that says something...
Should have ridden outdoors last season. Matt B did and secured a JGR ride. I believe most would support MS over MB, so that says something to me...
Malcolm said in an interview a few months ago that was a big regret he had, not racing outdoors. Knows it played a role in not getting a ride.

The Shop

MM504
1/19/2017 9:58am
I think it is interesting where he mentions Yoshimura and the motors but he is running FMF Exhaust. It would seem that if Yosh was doing the motors they would want it paired with a Yosh exhaust.
cali11
1/19/2017 9:58am
Should have ridden outdoors last season. Matt B did and secured a JGR ride. I believe most would support MS over MB, so that says something...
I heard he didn't have a ride for MX. Should he just stop and buy a bike on the way to Hangtown?
JW381
1/19/2017 10:10am
Not to be 'that' guy but isn't Deano racing out of a sprinter? Don't gotta pit out of a semi. Whatever.
Katoomey
1/19/2017 10:12am
MM504 wrote:
I think it is interesting where he mentions Yoshimura and the motors but he is running FMF Exhaust. It would seem that if Yosh was doing...
I think it is interesting where he mentions Yoshimura and the motors but he is running FMF Exhaust. It would seem that if Yosh was doing the motors they would want it paired with a Yosh exhaust.
Did you not read the part where he said he paid for the motors? By the way. It's not interesting.
mxtech1
1/19/2017 10:13am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2017 10:14am
"...A Privateer effort...."

Free bike,
Works level Showa suspension,
Yosh race engines (cheap price compared to a real privateer)
Full blown race semi,
Free gear from the Seven line & i'm assuming he's still connected with Gaerne and Shoei for free product,
Monetary support from RIDE365,
Who knows how many factory Suzuki parts leftover from Big Bro's Suzuki

This is by far not a privateer effort. Self-funded effort, yes, but not privateer level. Irks me...rant over.
twotwosix
1/19/2017 10:14am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2017 10:54am
JW381 wrote:
Not to be 'that' guy but isn't Deano racing out of a sprinter? Don't gotta pit out of a semi. Whatever.
Dean also has a half million dollar tour bus, Works suspension, a GYTR motor and GET/Factory Yamaha ECU tuning at his disposal, but hey, he's still a real 'privateer' right?

Dean's motorcycle travels from race to race inside of Sprinter.
NoahSuthy99
1/19/2017 10:15am
JW381 wrote:
Im not exactly sure what the details are, but deano has a tour bus company letting him use one for the first few races. Not sure how long but I'm pretty sure its not a season long thing. The sprinter is just for the bikes and stuff.
twotwosix
1/19/2017 10:18am
Katoomey wrote:
Did you not read the part where he said he paid for the motors? By the way. It's not interesting.
That just tells me he's a well taken care of customer, not a supported rider. Also, FMF is probably providing free exhausts and possibly bonus money.
twotwosix
1/19/2017 10:19am
I picked Malcolm for my FantasyMotocross.com team in the Vital group. Sitting 15th so I hope he doesn't screw me! Grinning
IWreckALot
1/19/2017 10:35am
cali11 wrote:
I heard he didn't have a ride for MX. Should he just stop and buy a bike on the way to Hangtown?
Didn't have a ride at all? Or didn't have a 450 ride? What I understood is he had a 250 offer, but didn't like the idea of going out there and getting subpar results because he was riding an underpowered bike. So he decided to let the SX championship be his last results and counted on that to get an offer. It was a risk that didn't end up paying off.

I like his attitude in the interview. Seems like he's back to the positive attitude fun loving youngster we've grown to appreciate. I'm a fan.
Katoomey
1/19/2017 10:39am
Katoomey wrote:
twotwosix wrote:
That just tells me he's a well taken care of customer, not a supported rider. Also, FMF is probably providing free exhausts and possibly bonus money.
huh? Have you suffered from a stroke or something? You basically just counterpointed your own point....
EastFlorida
1/19/2017 10:40am
cali11 wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
Didn't have a ride at all? Or didn't have a 450 ride? What I understood is he had a 250 offer, but didn't like the idea...
Didn't have a ride at all? Or didn't have a 450 ride? What I understood is he had a 250 offer, but didn't like the idea of going out there and getting subpar results because he was riding an underpowered bike. So he decided to let the SX championship be his last results and counted on that to get an offer. It was a risk that didn't end up paying off.

I like his attitude in the interview. Seems like he's back to the positive attitude fun loving youngster we've grown to appreciate. I'm a fan.
It is my understanding he had his Geico 250 ride for outdoors but chose not to race. Isn't that why Tristan
Charboneau made his first pro race?
twotwosix
1/19/2017 10:41am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2017 10:41am
I sure hope Malcom can do well and stay healthy.
twotwosix
1/19/2017 10:42am
Katoomey wrote:
huh? Have you suffered from a stroke or something? You basically just counterpointed your own point....
No, I clicked the "quote last post" button. It was supposed to come off his, not yours. Did you suffer a stroke of anger when you read that?

I'm down with team Husky/VitalMx bro
ML512
Fantasy
36th
1/19/2017 10:45am
JW381 wrote:
Im not exactly sure what the details are, but deano has a tour bus company letting him use one for the first few races. Not sure...
Im not exactly sure what the details are, but deano has a tour bus company letting him use one for the first few races. Not sure how long but I'm pretty sure its not a season long thing. The sprinter is just for the bikes and stuff.
A forum member here owns the tour bus (awesome of him to do it btw) and let Dean chill in it for the first three rounds (this weekend is the last one). Dean drives to the races with pops in the van, and that's what they pit out of.
tek14
1/19/2017 11:00am
mxtech1 wrote:
"...A Privateer effort...." Free bike, Works level Showa suspension, Yosh race engines (cheap price compared to a real privateer) Full blown race semi, Free gear from...
"...A Privateer effort...."

Free bike,
Works level Showa suspension,
Yosh race engines (cheap price compared to a real privateer)
Full blown race semi,
Free gear from the Seven line & i'm assuming he's still connected with Gaerne and Shoei for free product,
Monetary support from RIDE365,
Who knows how many factory Suzuki parts leftover from Big Bro's Suzuki

This is by far not a privateer effort. Self-funded effort, yes, but not privateer level. Irks me...rant over.
I have seen many slow vet guys getting free bikes and works stuff to race around.
He really not needed full semi to race but sponsors he got involved have
great setup at pits to get all PR they want.
If you ask any "privateer" making night show they don't pay full price of anything
and get much free stuff they want to use.
twotwosix
1/19/2017 11:15am Edited Date/Time 1/19/2017 11:15am
The semi WAS a necessity. Especially for a top 10 450 class racer.

It has nothing to do with it being better than a box van. What the semi provides is legitimacy. It provides presence. It shows that they are serious. All of those things are necessary if he wants to accumulate more and better paying sponsors to make a good income in 2017. Having a semi truck really helps provide a level of seriousness to their new team.
nytsmaC
1/19/2017 11:52am
twotwosix wrote:
The semi WAS a necessity. Especially for a top 10 450 class racer. It has nothing to do with it being better than a box van...

It has nothing to do with it being better than a box van. What the semi provides is legitimacy. It provides presence. It shows that they are serious. All of those things are necessary if he wants to accumulate more and better paying sponsors to make a good income in 2017. Having a semi truck really helps provide a level of seriousness to their new team.
So it's better to miss the first two rounds of the series than showing up in a box van and racing until the semi is done?
Jmicmoto13
1/19/2017 12:05pm
nytsmaC wrote:
So it's better to miss the first two rounds of the series than showing up in a box van and racing until the semi is done?
That's my point as well. Seems like excuses.
hvaughn88
1/19/2017 12:10pm Edited Date/Time 1/19/2017 12:11pm
twotwosix wrote:
The semi WAS a necessity. Especially for a top 10 450 class racer. It has nothing to do with it being better than a box van...

A necessity for who? A presence for who? Shows who they are serious? What level of seriousness? If it's to satisfy the sponsors, then so be it, that's their prerogative. But if it's to show fans then I can say (at least for myself) that I don't give a damn if the rider shows up in a Semi Truck or a Pickup Truck. Hell, to be honest, when I walk through the pits at the races I actually try to avoid the semi trucks. I have had a way better experience walking through the privateer pits where the riders are more easy going. That's just my $0.02 in case the sponsors might be concerned with what a fan (at least this fan) might think of their efforts.
andyman
1/19/2017 12:13pm
cali11 wrote:
IWreckALot wrote:
Didn't have a ride at all? Or didn't have a 450 ride? What I understood is he had a 250 offer, but didn't like the idea...

Bogle's bike was free many times. And Geigo had really bad outdoors in 250's also, so Mookie would have been big help to them. Bad choice from team Stewart.
mmain62
1/19/2017 12:19pm
So was it Jace Owen's dad who gave him the bikes? His dad owns a bike dealer in Mattoon IL and Jace is a SEVEN guy right? I hope the best for both Stew Bros personally. Not a die hard fan but who are we as riders to judge these guys.
twotwosix
1/19/2017 12:24pm Edited Date/Time 1/19/2017 12:29pm
nytsmaC wrote:
Well that isn't a fair question. The semi wasn't his hold up from the sound of it. He didn't wait for A2 because of a semi truck. I am saying that yes, lining up a semi vs not having one will make a huge difference in that program's legitimacy and success if Malcolm races well. Big money sponsors don't pay guys in box vans very well historically...
Dtat720
1/19/2017 12:26pm
twotwosix wrote:

hvaughn88 wrote:
A necessity for who? A presence for who? Shows who they are serious? What level of seriousness? If it's to satisfy the sponsors, then so be...
A necessity for who? A presence for who? Shows who they are serious? What level of seriousness? If it's to satisfy the sponsors, then so be it, that's their prerogative. But if it's to show fans then I can say (at least for myself) that I don't give a damn if the rider shows up in a Semi Truck or a Pickup Truck. Hell, to be honest, when I walk through the pits at the races I actually try to avoid the semi trucks. I have had a way better experience walking through the privateer pits where the riders are more easy going. That's just my $0.02 in case the sponsors might be concerned with what a fan (at least this fan) might think of their efforts.
Logistics wise, a semi makes sense. All in one trailer, you know it will arrive all together to each stop. Inventory controlled better, it makes sense to tske advantage of a semi vs. sprinter vanning it or other means

Post a reply to: Malcolm Stewart Talks Suzukis & A2

The Latest