Making a MOTO gym

flymoto
I have decided to give majority of my garage up to make a gym. It's not a huge area, so I'm kind of limited with what I can put in there.

Just wondered if Amy of you guys have a home gym? And what equipment do you have In there?

So far I have got battle ropes, workout station, punch bag. I'm kind of fancying a rower. What else would you add in there? I have by no means a huge budget so trying to keep it cheap as possible. Was thinking medicine balls, Maybe kettle bells.

Got a road bike that I use a lot, so good cardio, just wanted to build a good base as I think I have lost a lot of muscle from cycling

Look forward to your input, and pictures would be awesome
|
flymoto
12/10/2016 3:37am
Yeh I reckon I'll probably go for a rower. I have seen the trx ropes before so I'll look into them! I have got some rubber bands and the odd free weight. I don't really wanna go all out and spend thousands, but I know you can do a lot of stuff with not much equipment
Cadpro18
12/10/2016 5:24am
BodySolid GPR378 power rack w/lat attachment
10# - 50# dumbells and kettlebells
CycleOps Magnus trainer
Concept 2 PM5 rower
and a TV to watch moto while doing cardio

The rower is the best thing I've ever done for on-track performance, so that would be my #1 priority.

Camp332
12/10/2016 6:14am
A Concept 2 Rower, and This Power Rack from Rogue.

The Shop

slipdog
12/10/2016 6:17am
Get yourself some dumbbells or kettelbells and a big screen and keep it simple.

He's not the most high energy trainer, but he's not as bad or annoying as many others I've seen and there's plenty of options to choose from. https://www.youtube.com/user/KozakSportsPerform
S.Loyer
12/10/2016 6:35am Edited Date/Time 12/10/2016 6:36am
Rower and thats it, buy a nice bicycle too.
ktm212
12/10/2016 6:48am
well you already cycle, so that goes a fair amount but yeah you lose alot of upper body movement and muscle. I'd stick with the Rower, a medicine ball like 8-12 pounds, a yoga ball, a few free weights 30-60 whatever is in your range, maybe a kettle bell or 2 but you can do anything a kettle bell can with a dumbbell for the most part, build a Box for Box jumps and you can use it a few different ways, TRX are ok but its like working with a rubix cube when you're first learning workouts and they can be a bit of a pain.
kaptkaos
12/10/2016 6:57am Edited Date/Time 12/10/2016 7:01am
A rower, Trx ropes and some short rubber bands will get you a LONG way Smile
I made a home gym. Not really for MX as I hardly ride anymore but for staying in shape, MTB, fitting in my pants, etc.

Essentials for me:

Spin Bike, C2 Rower, Bowflex variable weight dumbells, bands, TRX suspension straps, punching bag, push up bars. P90X and T25. Road bike, Mountain Bike, jumprope. I just installed pull up bars, but I suck at pullups, but it is great to secure the TRX straps and Bands from.

Just as important as the equipment is the space. Rubber floors rule. Ceiling fan and AC let you train longer and harder all year long and not be miserable. A tv or screen you can watch tv, hear music or as I do, display P90X and T25.

I wasnt willing to give up my garage as its my workshop\Laundry room and parking for my Harley and Fishing rods and bicycles. I purchased a 10x18 custom built shed and put it in the backyard. I outfitted it almost like a man-cave. It has been worth every penny. If I only had very limited space and budget, I would get the rower, that thing is the painbringer.

For many years I used P90X and T25 with bands and dumbells in my living room, used the rower on the back porch, and rode my road bike and mountain bike on weekends. The gym lets me workout even when the kids have friends over, wife wants to watch something or have someone over. If I want to work out early and not wake up the family. Its just a nice private space.
olds cool
12/10/2016 7:04am
Another vote for the Concept 2 rower. Those things will kick your ass and keep you coming back for more. I couldn't believe it when I was watching the Baker's Factory video the other day...Aldon is showing off the gym and there's four spinning bikes, weight racks and all that stuff that he mentions and points out. Towards the end I spot the back of a rowing machine almost hidden in the corner. One. No mention of it by Aldon. If I was training four high profile riders there would be four rowing machines front and center in the gym. I'd be having all kinds of rowing competitions among the four guys and the loser would face some sort of humiliation from within the group (nothing bad, just something like making the next round of smoothies for everybody else or washing their boots or something). I guess Concept 2 isn't one of his official sponsors or something.
crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
12/10/2016 7:48am
olds cool wrote:
Another vote for the Concept 2 rower. Those things will kick your ass and keep you coming back for more. I couldn't believe it when I...
Another vote for the Concept 2 rower. Those things will kick your ass and keep you coming back for more. I couldn't believe it when I was watching the Baker's Factory video the other day...Aldon is showing off the gym and there's four spinning bikes, weight racks and all that stuff that he mentions and points out. Towards the end I spot the back of a rowing machine almost hidden in the corner. One. No mention of it by Aldon. If I was training four high profile riders there would be four rowing machines front and center in the gym. I'd be having all kinds of rowing competitions among the four guys and the loser would face some sort of humiliation from within the group (nothing bad, just something like making the next round of smoothies for everybody else or washing their boots or something). I guess Concept 2 isn't one of his official sponsors or something.
The guy would probably give Burgerking stuff to their riders and tell the world that every athlete needs to eat it, if BK payed him well enough.
les962
12/10/2016 10:46am
Looks like you have everything you need, now get some people to work out with- moto buddies- but you might spend a lot of time talking moto,neighbor or somebody that does some other sports and feed off each other. Moto guys usually have a never give up attitude and try to push harder to show we don't just sit down and twist a throttle. Or find a girl that is into tough mudders, mma or just likes to kick ass, that is always a good time.
flymoto
12/10/2016 1:22pm
A rower, Trx ropes and some short rubber bands will get you a LONG way Smile
kaptkaos wrote:
I made a home gym. Not really for MX as I hardly ride anymore but for staying in shape, MTB, fitting in my pants, etc. Essentials...
I made a home gym. Not really for MX as I hardly ride anymore but for staying in shape, MTB, fitting in my pants, etc.

Essentials for me:

Spin Bike, C2 Rower, Bowflex variable weight dumbells, bands, TRX suspension straps, punching bag, push up bars. P90X and T25. Road bike, Mountain Bike, jumprope. I just installed pull up bars, but I suck at pullups, but it is great to secure the TRX straps and Bands from.

Just as important as the equipment is the space. Rubber floors rule. Ceiling fan and AC let you train longer and harder all year long and not be miserable. A tv or screen you can watch tv, hear music or as I do, display P90X and T25.

I wasnt willing to give up my garage as its my workshop\Laundry room and parking for my Harley and Fishing rods and bicycles. I purchased a 10x18 custom built shed and put it in the backyard. I outfitted it almost like a man-cave. It has been worth every penny. If I only had very limited space and budget, I would get the rower, that thing is the painbringer.

For many years I used P90X and T25 with bands and dumbells in my living room, used the rower on the back porch, and rode my road bike and mountain bike on weekends. The gym lets me workout even when the kids have friends over, wife wants to watch something or have someone over. If I want to work out early and not wake up the family. Its just a nice private space.
Yeh kind of the same for me. It's not strictly for MX, as I'm not going pro anytime but would like to I,prove my fitnes and generally keep in good shape.

I have got pull ups, dips, ab workout of the power tower, which is also a good idea to use the resistance bands from, never thought of that.

It would be great to see a pic of your place. I'm working with a similar area, end of the garage. It's long enough for battle ropes as I can run the, right down to the bottom but usable space at the top end for the gym area is 10 x 10 so I don't want to cram it up too much. Obviously still got enough room for a med ball/kettle workout etc.

I could use some inspiration from your place, to see how you make it work

Cheers!

flymoto
12/10/2016 1:25pm
slipdog wrote:
Get yourself some dumbbells or kettelbells and a big screen and keep it simple. He's not the most high energy trainer, but he's not as bad...
Get yourself some dumbbells or kettelbells and a big screen and keep it simple.

He's not the most high energy trainer, but he's not as bad or annoying as many others I've seen and there's plenty of options to choose from. https://www.youtube.com/user/KozakSportsPerform
Good point there. Can't stand some of the videos with roid heads walking around topless. I'll take a look, cheers
flymoto
12/10/2016 1:33pm
ktm212 wrote:
well you already cycle, so that goes a fair amount but yeah you lose alot of upper body movement and muscle. I'd stick with the Rower...
well you already cycle, so that goes a fair amount but yeah you lose alot of upper body movement and muscle. I'd stick with the Rower, a medicine ball like 8-12 pounds, a yoga ball, a few free weights 30-60 whatever is in your range, maybe a kettle bell or 2 but you can do anything a kettle bell can with a dumbbell for the most part, build a Box for Box jumps and you can use it a few different ways, TRX are ok but its like working with a rubix cube when you're first learning workouts and they can be a bit of a pain.
I'm defiantly going with the rower, seem like a lot of people use them over here. Cycling is good,but poor over the winter, especially in the U.K.

I'll pick up a few dumbells there versatile so wouldn't go a miss. Can't go too crazy though the Mrs will cut my balls off If I spend too much
brimx153
12/10/2016 3:12pm
For me i find Cycling really not great for getting fit for MX , you really have to be doing 3 hr rides to make it any use imo. i know everyone is different . i love cycling and do loads of it ,but it only ever got me fit for cycling. I find running the best . my knees are nt good ,so i dont do a mad amount .i find doing even 30 mins on a treadmill every day makes a massive differnce on fittness ,then some sprints ,cycling and if you can swimming is great. i find body weight squats and stuff like that are great
j368
12/10/2016 6:30pm
Jump rope. When you get where you can go 15 minutes without stopping you can thank me. Total cost about $10 for some great cardio, hand to eye coordination.
EddieC
12/10/2016 6:34pm
flymoto wrote:
I have decided to give majority of my garage up to make a gym. It's not a huge area, so I'm kind of limited with what...
I have decided to give majority of my garage up to make a gym. It's not a huge area, so I'm kind of limited with what I can put in there.

Just wondered if Amy of you guys have a home gym? And what equipment do you have In there?

So far I have got battle ropes, workout station, punch bag. I'm kind of fancying a rower. What else would you add in there? I have by no means a huge budget so trying to keep it cheap as possible. Was thinking medicine balls, Maybe kettle bells.

Got a road bike that I use a lot, so good cardio, just wanted to build a good base as I think I have lost a lot of muscle from cycling

Look forward to your input, and pictures would be awesome
Versaclimber, Versaclimber Versaclimber.

Tight budget/ room: Bodylastics Bands - You can use the included door attachment or buy some E track and use that.
Dumbbells - 25, 35, 45, 55, 65

http://bodylastics.com/collections/tube-resistance-bands

IceMan446
12/10/2016 7:29pm Edited Date/Time 12/10/2016 7:30pm
SkiErg and a Concept2 for cardio

Dumbbells and kettle bells and build your own yo box (35 bucks or so)
Tim507
12/10/2016 8:33pm
Keepnit simple.....the spin bike is in the living room in front of the big screenPinch

Silly
kaptkaos
12/11/2016 10:07am
Check my album that i just uploaded.
Vet57
12/12/2016 5:39am
This is my set up..plus I do some P90. My old ass better be with the program this year!

crt32
12/12/2016 6:33am
Best gym flooring for the price. $39

flymoto
12/12/2016 9:54am Edited Date/Time 12/12/2016 9:54am
Some nice pics there, I like what you have all both done, makes me jealous a little!

Yeh see I originally bought the road bike for Moto fitness, whilst I live it and have got kind of hooked, it isn't giving me the upper body strength or endurance I need

The concept 2 rowers really do look good but out if my budget. Going to keep searching a eBay see if anything comes up cheap, most likely about February when everyone's has given up there weight loss regimes!

I have just picked up,a set of dumbells that my parents had lieng around, so I don't think I'm too far off now. Oh and a barbell so I should be able to do a lot of things with these, just need to get on YouTube for some workout ideas

Turbojez
12/14/2016 3:24am
Maybe do some research on calisthenics (or street workout - as it's a new jazzy name for the old school way of building strength)?

It really works, doesn't require a whole lot of equipment (pull up bar, dip bars, weighted vest maybe) and is pretty easy on your joints, as most of the time you're working with your bodyweight. I highly recommend it + a treadmill and/or stationary bike and you're all set for a proper winter training.
kaptkaos
12/14/2016 6:33am Edited Date/Time 12/14/2016 6:35am
Those stall mats are very good. Very similiar to the floor I used, except I was able to get it in a whole roll so as not to have seams.

As far as the Concept 2, I had a long running search on Craigslist which finally hit paydirt one day. I got it for $400. Dont be afraid of the older units, these things are all basically the same and indestructible and easy to rebuild.

Road cycling is simply a fat burning tool for me. It does a little bit of cardio, but I dont really sprint or climb. If its windy then its a heluva leg workout. Basically the road bike allows you to go out on recovery day and burn some calories, get a little cardio and loosen up. For upper strength do pushups, use the dumbells and bands for curls, triceps, back and shoulders. Get P90X, it will provide all you need.
IceMan446
12/14/2016 9:15am
kaptkaos wrote:
Those stall mats are very good. Very similiar to the floor I used, except I was able to get it in a whole roll so as...
Those stall mats are very good. Very similiar to the floor I used, except I was able to get it in a whole roll so as not to have seams.

As far as the Concept 2, I had a long running search on Craigslist which finally hit paydirt one day. I got it for $400. Dont be afraid of the older units, these things are all basically the same and indestructible and easy to rebuild.

Road cycling is simply a fat burning tool for me. It does a little bit of cardio, but I dont really sprint or climb. If its windy then its a heluva leg workout. Basically the road bike allows you to go out on recovery day and burn some calories, get a little cardio and loosen up. For upper strength do pushups, use the dumbells and bands for curls, triceps, back and shoulders. Get P90X, it will provide all you need.
Man I searched and searched on craigslist for one and they were all over priced IMO

You can get a new on amazon for 900 with a warranty and I never found one on craigslist for under 700. So I went with the one with a warranty and free shipping.
sandman768
12/14/2016 9:45am
I built my gym in my basement, off season, work on rehabbing any nagging injuries or trouble areas. Free weights, not a lot of weight but work your way up as you begin to feel better lifting. We're not looking to add muscle mass just strengthen muscles to protect joints/ ligaments. I do focus more on my lower body, legs ect. The weights replace your actual riding if you are not able to ride, I never lft weights during the riding season. I mix up my cardio with whatever is best option for that day, I have a rower, sometimes it bothers my back, if my back is aching, I skip rower. Stationary bike, I have a schwinn aiirdyne, it has hand controls for upper body. If I have access to a pool I swim, nice outside? I mnt bike or road bike. We have enough snow where I live now, I cross country skied the last 2 days. I jump rope a lot in between lifting sets to keep my heart rate up. The last time I hurt my back riding, I went to rehab & learned how to stretch & strengthen my core, I incorporate these into my workouts as well. As the riding season gets closer to starting, I cut back on free weights & ramp up cardio workouts. I have been working out like this for 30 years. I can"t deal with gym"s, too many dbags...
sandman768
12/14/2016 9:51am
crt32 wrote:
Best gym flooring for the price. $39 [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2016/12/12/163840/s1200_Screenshot_20161212_083106.jpg[/img]
Best gym flooring for the price. $39

I was going to do my basement floor with these, bought 3 to test out, it's a workout just moving these things around! They are heavy! They do have a pretty strong rubber smell, the smell does go away after a while. If I had a garage or out door type gym setup, I would have used these. I ended up using another brand of rubber flooring at a much higher rate of $ per sq. ft. I kept the tractor supply mats for my pickup bed & garage.

Post a reply to: Making a MOTO gym

The Latest