MXON 2016

JVT357
Fantasy
3149th
Edited Date/Time 4/27/2016 10:07am
So I am going to the MXDN this year for my bucket list of races. Always wanted to go see this event overseas. Just purchased flights there this morning. Super pumped!!!!! Was planning on spending few days in Venice before race and then heading down to Florence/Rome the following week. I guess Im just hoping to here some suggestions from others that have been to that area before. Do I even bother renting a car or just take trains and use public transportation to get around. I leaning very heavily on getting the VIP package tickets for the event. Is this worth the extra $? Im staying at the Hotel La Sibilla Cusiana. In Via Provinciale which is 20km from track. Thoughts? Ideas? Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. I know it a long ways out, but I want to make sure I have everything planned out and booked before things get booked up. Thanks.
|
BAMX
4/26/2016 1:45pm
Cars are cool in Italy but don't leave anything in them and get ready to pay tolls.
CoccoBill
4/27/2016 6:13am
As THE mx addict said, forget about public transport, you need a car to get to the track. But you better use the train to go to Venice (parking near Venice is a nightmare...), you will get off the train just in front of Canal Grande.
Same with the other cities you want to visit, you can take the train, you only need a car if you want to visit what's around those cities. Maybe you could rent one and see Tuscany, since you plan to go to Florence, but I wouldn't suggest you to go driving a car in Rome... you would end up hating the italian drivers.
Hope you already reserved your hotel, I bought my tickets for the race back in october and almost every hotel was already full.

The Shop

crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
4/27/2016 6:38am
Like others have said, you can easily rent a car.
I've never been to Maggiora but from my experience from GPs and mxdns at other tracks, you should either plan to leave the track early (before the last moto ends) or park the car some kilometers outside. Because everytime everyone leaves at the same time with their cars and causes epic traffic jams (at the last mxdn in franciacorta 2009, it took us about 3 hours to get to a normal road without stop and go traffic).
Sometimes there's a shuttle bus to the track so you can park outside and take the bus to the track. Not sure how that's handled in Maggiora though.

Have fun!
Bearuno
4/27/2016 6:50am Edited Date/Time 4/27/2016 6:56am
If you are going to drive in Italy - put your race face on!

They certainly don't fit in with the drone like driving in the US or OZ. If you can get into the 'swing' of things, it can be fun. If not, you'll be carved up, in every sense of the word. As CoccoBill says, sort out public transport for going into big cities. I tend to use motorcycles, myself, whilst in Europe - much easier than a car, but, no (semi) protective cage.

So much to see and do in Italy , well, the whole of Europe. Well, anywhere in the World. Travelling is fantastic.

You'll love it, so long as you go with a smile on your face, and keep it on your face, be nice to people, and, no matter what, go with the flow. Good to see you are thinking of more than just MX.

Oh, and Never go early from the race - hell, that's what you are (largely), there for. Just realize that things may take some time afterwards. It's all part of the adventure - I'm pretty sure you'll never get a chance to see an MXDN at Maggiora in your life again, so, why miss out on any of the racing, and celebrations / commiserations , just to get back to your hotel a bit earlier?
Walter
4/27/2016 7:42am
I would echo getting a hotel way early. In the early 80's I rolled in to a GP in Lux and thought I could grab a room. Town of 4K folks with 50K+ visitors = no rooms. Had to make new friends.

Trains are very good in Italy. Parking in some cities is a nightmare. Driving in Rome is like being in a combat zone. Rubbin' is fine there and the traffic lights are merely advisory.

I just walk when in Rome, Venice, Florence, etc. If there is a location more distant you want to see, grab a cab.

Maybe line up a rental car for the day of the event...again early...to get in and out. Cabs may be difficult that day.
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
4/27/2016 7:47am
I would personally not rent a car while IN the cities you mentioned, but renting a car to get to the races and from town to town - that is a different story...
Sidecar
4/27/2016 7:58am
Renting a car is one thing..... DO NOT rent a scooter/moped in Rome.... I did and it's nuts every time you stop at a red light you have 20-30 locals lined up with you, pushing, shoving, elbows in the ribs and when the lights go green it's a free for all and if you come off the cars, trucks and buses do NOT stop for you, there's an underground railway that is much safer.
Old-Man
4/27/2016 9:18am
Sidecar wrote:
Renting a car is one thing..... DO NOT rent a scooter/moped in Rome.... I did and it's nuts every time you stop at a red light...
Renting a car is one thing..... DO NOT rent a scooter/moped in Rome.... I did and it's nuts every time you stop at a red light you have 20-30 locals lined up with you, pushing, shoving, elbows in the ribs and when the lights go green it's a free for all and if you come off the cars, trucks and buses do NOT stop for you, there's an underground railway that is much safer.
Moto in the streets? Hell Ya!

We were going to this too, I better get off my arse and look for a hotel
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
4/27/2016 9:31am
Rome is hot, dirty, crowded, and expensive. But, the history and ruins are incredible to experience in person. You couldnt pay me to drive/ride in that town!
Motoxdoc
4/27/2016 10:07am
crusty_xx wrote:
Like others have said, you can easily rent a car. I've never been to Maggiora but from my experience from GPs and mxdns at other tracks...
Like others have said, you can easily rent a car.
I've never been to Maggiora but from my experience from GPs and mxdns at other tracks, you should either plan to leave the track early (before the last moto ends) or park the car some kilometers outside. Because everytime everyone leaves at the same time with their cars and causes epic traffic jams (at the last mxdn in franciacorta 2009, it took us about 3 hours to get to a normal road without stop and go traffic).
Sometimes there's a shuttle bus to the track so you can park outside and take the bus to the track. Not sure how that's handled in Maggiora though.

Have fun!
Leave a MXDN race before the last moto is over?!.....after traveling half way around the world to get there? No, no, no...OMG no!
JVT357
Fantasy
3149th
9/14/2016 1:34pm
Anybody gonna make the trek over for the race this year. Flying out in 4 days and needless to say I am "super pumped" Got my USA outfit ready and cant wait to cheer the boys on!
kongols
9/14/2016 1:43pm
JVT357 wrote:
Anybody gonna make the trek over for the race this year. Flying out in 4 days and needless to say I am "super pumped" Got my...
Anybody gonna make the trek over for the race this year. Flying out in 4 days and needless to say I am "super pumped" Got my USA outfit ready and cant wait to cheer the boys on!
We got a local sportsbar sponsoring event for us. They will give the place to us for a day and provide lots of drinks and food as well as some prizes for correct predictions of top10. We`ve had something similar planed every year for past few years.
Mr. Info
9/14/2016 1:48pm
I am leaving on Sunday and heading to Munich for Oktoberfest then a train ride thru the Alps to Milan. Just having the last round at Glen Helen and hoping they bring us up and announce us for next year would be great but just going is enough. Then Monday driving to the Ferrari museum and seeing some other sites.
9/14/2016 5:18pm
Find whatever country that wins, join in on their after party, leave the next morning and you won't have to deal with traffic.
jeffro503
9/14/2016 9:32pm
Sidecar wrote:
Renting a car is one thing..... DO NOT rent a scooter/moped in Rome.... I did and it's nuts every time you stop at a red light...
Jesus!! Sounds like you need to be in great race shape! Sounds kinda freakin' fun too haha!
JMX82
9/14/2016 10:37pm
Me and couple of my friends are flying to Milan on Friday before there race and leaving back to Finland on Monday. I'm getting pretty exited because this is going be my first nations race and my first visit to Italy Smile

Is there going to be some kind of Vitalmx member get-together?
The Rock
9/14/2016 11:38pm Edited Date/Time 9/14/2016 11:41pm
kzizok wrote:
Rome is hot, dirty, crowded, and expensive. But, the history and ruins are incredible to experience in person. You couldnt pay me to drive/ride in that...
Rome is hot, dirty, crowded, and expensive. But, the history and ruins are incredible to experience in person. You couldnt pay me to drive/ride in that town!
Amen on the history but I disagree it is expensive. Well let me out it this way: it's a bargain compared to London IMO.

My first time in Europe in the fall of 1981 I had ordered a 300 SD Mercedes under their Euro delivery plan. Three weeks, seven countries and 3300 miles was a great experience. Pick up at Stuttgart and drop off at Antwerp Belgium.

We drove into Rome parked the car at the Hotel Exclesior and left it there until we checked out 3 days later. Much easier to just walk everywhere.

Cars are mandatory in SoCal but not so much for European cities. Love riding the trains.

BTW if you are going to the Vatican get there close to half past seven AM and you'll have the place to yourselves for a good hour plus. We walked out around ten AM and the line for the Basilica was huge. In just a moment we heard English speaking tour starting in ten minutes so we paid the 70 euros and got right in. Holeshot for the Vatican and ditto on the Basilica.
mxmasta
Fantasy
724th
9/15/2016 1:31am
As much as I hate throwing my money at Loungo, a friend, my brother and I just bought the VIP Platinum tickets for this years event. So we will be there the whole weekend.

If you see the german disco guy in my profil picture running around, just say hi, it will be me ;-)
mxmasta
Fantasy
724th
9/15/2016 11:54pm Edited Date/Time 9/15/2016 11:56pm
JVT357 wrote:
So I am going to the MXDN this year for my bucket list of races. Always wanted to go see this event overseas. Just purchased flights...
So I am going to the MXDN this year for my bucket list of races. Always wanted to go see this event overseas. Just purchased flights there this morning. Super pumped!!!!! Was planning on spending few days in Venice before race and then heading down to Florence/Rome the following week. I guess Im just hoping to here some suggestions from others that have been to that area before. Do I even bother renting a car or just take trains and use public transportation to get around. I leaning very heavily on getting the VIP package tickets for the event. Is this worth the extra $? Im staying at the Hotel La Sibilla Cusiana. In Via Provinciale which is 20km from track. Thoughts? Ideas? Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated. I know it a long ways out, but I want to make sure I have everything planned out and booked before things get booked up. Thanks.
Did you end up getting the VIP package?

Edit: I quoted the OP, don't know why the quoted post doesn't appear.

Post a reply to: MXON 2016

The Latest