MXGP requiring upper body protection in 2016

The Rock
And the sky still hasn't fallen with the championship drawing to a close. Haven't read about any riders complaining either. I think this safety requirement was timely and I hope someday we follow suit in the US.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
|
philG
7/28/2016 12:51am
I think its dumb that it hasn't been that way for ever.... I love the fact that gear companies make this stuff that the guys that ride as Pro's don't or wont wear. Bizzarre.

RG1
7/28/2016 1:05am
I hadn't even noticed that this was a thing, that's how small a deal it is. I don't know why it's taken this long for it to happen. Riders are wearing basically a helmet, Boots and pyjamas in some cases, and we wonder why we have so many injuries. Always baffled me why more riders don't wear decent upper body protection. Something that's always baffled me even more is riders that wear a body armour but take off the back protector Blink
ATKpilot99
7/28/2016 2:54am
A lot of AMA riders wear it under their jerseys but as RG1 stated many remove the back protection or just wear a roost protector. How is the specific rule written for MXGP ? Interested to know the minimum protection required.

The Shop

slipdog
7/28/2016 5:02am
I don't need a rule, I learned my lesson as a teen in 1992 and never rode with out one again.
roninho
7/28/2016 6:58am
RG1 wrote:
I hadn't even noticed that this was a thing, that's how small a deal it is. I don't know why it's taken this long for it...
I hadn't even noticed that this was a thing, that's how small a deal it is. I don't know why it's taken this long for it to happen. Riders are wearing basically a helmet, Boots and pyjamas in some cases, and we wonder why we have so many injuries. Always baffled me why more riders don't wear decent upper body protection. Something that's always baffled me even more is riders that wear a body armour but take off the back protector Blink
Tbh i'm amazed that when i watch the 85cc and 125cc race over here and see half of the kids not wearing neck and other protection. Don't understand why parents simply force that on them.
RG1
7/28/2016 7:14am
RG1 wrote:
I hadn't even noticed that this was a thing, that's how small a deal it is. I don't know why it's taken this long for it...
roninho wrote:
Tbh i'm amazed that when i watch the 85cc and 125cc race over here and see half of the kids not wearing neck and other protection...
Tbh i'm amazed that when i watch the 85cc and 125cc race over here and see half of the kids not wearing neck and other protection. Don't understand why parents simply force that on them.
I can understand not wearing neck protection, I think that's one of those things that divides opinion. Upper body protection is a no brainer for me
EEE299
7/28/2016 7:25am
What classifies as upper body protection? Cause I know my leatt roost protector doesn't do sh*t in terms of preventing major injuries.
Zaugg
7/28/2016 7:31am Edited Date/Time 7/28/2016 7:33am
I think you guys are failing to see the oh-so-legal side of this. I could provide you with precedent setting examples that would keep promoters in the US from implementing these rules.

"But they require helmets," you say?

Helmets have a safety standards from government and independent agencies. Upper body protection...which the phrase in and of itself is up to interpretation...might have certified components but the whole of the piece doesn't fall under a standardized testing system.

Finally, I think if "good parents/ coaches/ trainers" started their kids off wearing the correct protective equipment, they become used to it and it carries over into their adult racing career.

I'm guessing most of the "this should be implemented" crowd are older folks who have jobs and see the value in protective equipment. But I also I bet you went thru that "I'm indestructible" phase. If riders don't want to wear certain types of equipment...it's their CHOICE. I think it's a bad choice but it's their CHOICE none the less. Like my grandpa used to say, "You can't fix stupid. You can't make rules for it and you sure can't legislate for it."

I think for now...maybe required equipment for minors and recommended for everyone else but even that is tenuous at best.
Highsider
7/28/2016 8:10am Edited Date/Time 7/28/2016 9:34am
This is what I have worn for about a year. Sometimes warm after riding when hanging around the pits with it on, but cools quickly when you unsnap the waist straps.
Here is a view of the extensive back protection of a '16 FOX Raptor.
Inside is like road racing spine protection.

EDIT: this fits perfectly with my Leatt neck brace.

Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2447th
7/28/2016 8:28am
i think wearing a protector at the least on front(no shoulder or back) is a smart move.

For example.

in my race this weekend some guys went down and one tried to get off track as i came over and i center punched him in the torso. i was tossed and ended up with a scrapped shoulder and fortunatly he didnt suffer any injuries. Now i can't say with 100% surety it prevented a major injury but it can be assumed he woulndt have gotten up as fast, perhaps he wouldve had the wind knocked out of him.

now i do believe that making a rule to require it, is too much. next theyll require knee braces and neck collars. but for some riders they are safer not running these. I have seen guys get injuries that were supposed to be prevented by these and I have even given them a fair trial and i couldnt get comfortable enough to safely ride around with them
mxb2
7/28/2016 8:33am
I wear the fox pro frame, for my peace of mind. That being said it should be a choice.
7/28/2016 8:54am
RG1 wrote:
roninho wrote:
Tbh i'm amazed that when i watch the 85cc and 125cc race over here and see half of the kids not wearing neck and other protection...
RG1 wrote:
I can understand not wearing neck protection, I think that's one of those things that divides opinion. Upper body protection is a no brainer for me
I almost never wear a chest prototector. It pushes my neck brace up which is quite uncomfortable.. I only wear my chest prototector at rocky surfaceses but I ride deep sand tracks 90% of the time anyway.
7/28/2016 9:28am
I always wear my Fox ProFrame. Rode one time without it and vowed to never do it again.

I have considered drilling more holes in it for ventilation but I don't think I could do it and have it look clean still.
mx836
7/28/2016 9:36am
They only protect against roost according to most vitards. Surprised to see so many in favor in this thread. I always wear one.
Titan1
7/28/2016 9:53am
I won't ride without this, for roost, tree, rock, and all around road rash protection...and it works, not doubt about it. Under my jersey...it's a little warmer than a traditional chest protector, but the safety benefits more than outweigh the slight temp increase...IT has full back protection as well.

More than anything I hate road rash...and I've taken several high speed tumbles across the desert (through brush, rocks, etc. etc.) in this and haven't had any road rash at all.

I don't expect it to do anything but protect from road rash, tree limbs, and roost...I did hit the ground hard enough to hurt my shoulder (no road rash, but the force of hitting the ground-it doesn't dissipate force like that-did something to my shoulder)...but if I'm going to get ran over, or slide across the dirt...I'd much rather have this between my body and the tire/skid plate/foot peg/etc. than just a jersey, that's for sure.

Louie112
7/28/2016 9:59am
EEE299 wrote:
What classifies as upper body protection? Cause I know my leatt roost protector doesn't do sh*t in terms of preventing major injuries.
I wear a roost deflector and you sound like you still wear one yourself. I think people should be able to ride in what makes them feel the most comfortable/confident. I get what you're saying about it not preventing major injuries but would you argue that in 90% of the crashes where it's not quite as serious, the protector is not beneficial?

I personally ride off-road and I think I've gotten lucky with no rib injuries landing on some of those roots because I had my chest pro on. I'd imagine with the little rocks on the moto track it could easily be the same. I feel like it won't prevent major injuries, but it's way better than nothing in the event of a crash.
EEE299
7/28/2016 10:17am
EEE299 wrote:
Louie112 wrote:
I wear a roost deflector and you sound like you still wear one yourself. I think people should be able to ride in what makes them...
I wear a roost deflector and you sound like you still wear one yourself. I think people should be able to ride in what makes them feel the most comfortable/confident. I get what you're saying about it not preventing major injuries but would you argue that in 90% of the crashes where it's not quite as serious, the protector is not beneficial?

I personally ride off-road and I think I've gotten lucky with no rib injuries landing on some of those roots because I had my chest pro on. I'd imagine with the little rocks on the moto track it could easily be the same. I feel like it won't prevent major injuries, but it's way better than nothing in the event of a crash.
I hear you, and yes I still wear one when I race along with a neck brace. Mid summer, in the humidity, and heat index over 100 racing 2 hours at the hottest part of the day makes me question if I want to play it safe and wear it. To my knowledge they aren't really proven safety accessories (like a helmet). In general I'm not worried about little injuries like bruises and scrapes. So if they aren't good for more than that I don't see a point.
Cortami79
7/28/2016 10:24am
The rule is changed from 2015. At the end of 2014 I was amazed by the amount of riders not wearing any body protection, so I checked out the 2015 rulebook and since that year it is required to wear a roost protector (for your chest/stomach). Tixier had a penalty or something at the Thai GP that year because he didn't wear one. I think it is a good thing and if i would be a teammanager I would forbid my riders to don't wear one.

Neck braces is an other thing, that is really personal and even I dont like it anymore, I'm wearing an ortema brace since march again but it bothers me way too much. So i'm considering to don't wear it anymore.
gt80rider
7/28/2016 10:28am
Fully in favor of mandating full body protection... Should have been done years ago...
Berm
Fantasy
136th
7/28/2016 10:48am
In the US, we see pro riders not wearing upper body protection (chest pro). It follows from that there must be some benefit to not wearing one; where the benefit is in terms of improving their ability place better. They are not foregoing the option because it covers sponsors or it causes them to crash and get injured.

As it stands, you have to weigh the impact on your finishing position against the risk of injury. Consider two different outcomes, everyone wears one or nobody wears one. For simplicity, your finishing position will be the same in either case, but in the everyone wears one case, everyone is better off due to the decreased injury risk.
EEE299
7/28/2016 10:52am
Wouldn't wearing it under your jersey, like these riders have to do, be uncomfortable?
Moto810
7/28/2016 10:52am
Here is the thing guys. All pro sports are also seen as a standard setters or role models thus you see the NFL, NBA, and others require their teams to be held to a higher standard. This also means they hold players, staff, and themselves to a higher standard. Safety is one thing those big organizations have been focusing on. Motocross should be no different. The top should lead by example as long as it is logical.
DoctorJD
7/28/2016 11:09am
Personal choice, but I won't ride without this. I wear it under jersey, hardly know it's there.

SweetDaddy
7/28/2016 11:18am Edited Date/Time 7/28/2016 11:20am
EEE299 wrote:
How about a footpeg/handlebar to the abdomen? Cost my buddy his spleen.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
7/28/2016 11:20am
I dont know what the big deal is,you can wear as much "safety" equipment as you want and no one will stop you Wink
EEE299
7/28/2016 11:34am
EEE299 wrote:
SweetDaddy wrote:
Don't think most roost deflectors would stop them.
Titan1
7/28/2016 12:41pm
EEE299 wrote:
SweetDaddy wrote:
EEE299 wrote:
Don't think most roost deflectors would stop them.
So you'd rather a foot peg to the middle of your chest without a chest protector?

My brother was wearing the Fox Titan body armor, and lost the front end on the first lap of a moto, got ran over...he had barely a scratch on some slight bruising...it goes without saying that without the back protection that would have been much worse.

mxb2
7/28/2016 12:48pm
Any pics of Dean Wilson footpeg injury? No protection,. Ouch.

Post a reply to: MXGP requiring upper body protection in 2016

The Latest