MXGP can fix supercross

Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2447th
so i was looking at the track map for the Charlotte Gp, and it honestly resembles the early supercross races.

Think about it, instead of making a "supercross" track in a stadium, put a motocross track in a stadium.

this fixes many issues with supercross

1, it gets rid of the cookie cutter tracks, thereby eliminating the high difficulty of SX tracks, not to make things "easier" but a sx track requires a different skill set that a majority of riders never develop.

2. the track is bigger and faster which are two aspects we all love about outdoors.

3. again getting rid of cookie cutter tracks mean more freedom in track design, which also makes riders stay sharper. Just like in factories, injuries tend to be a result of monotony which makes guy complacent or encourages taking greater risks. so this would help breed a safer environment.

4. There wouldnt be a loss of spectators as places like Charlotte Speedway have lots of seating,

5 the current night program needs to be revamped. going to a two moto system stays inline with 90% of all moto racing,

6. having a more natural track design would create a track that would be feasible to developing a 125 pro am class. this would be a third class and replace the regional 250's while bumping up the current 250 class to a full national series
|
matze
Fantasy
3097th
8/10/2016 10:55am
Lol the answer is simple.. Because it doesnt fit? Isnt that logical lol
Why would the tracks suddenly get bigger when the stadiums are the same?
JustMX
8/10/2016 11:02am
The dirt track isn't charlotte motor speedway. There are 15,000 seats.

Let's see if they sell all those before we proclaim them the second coming of mike Godwin.

8/10/2016 11:52am
JustMX wrote:
The dirt track isn't charlotte motor speedway. There are 15,000 seats. Let's see if they sell all those before we proclaim them the second coming of...
The dirt track isn't charlotte motor speedway. There are 15,000 seats.

Let's see if they sell all those before we proclaim them the second coming of mike Godwin.

Which would still be really empty for a football-style stadium.
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2447th
8/10/2016 11:57am Edited Date/Time 8/10/2016 12:05pm
i was more eluding to moving the sx tracks to more open facilities, really more to the point of doing away with SX as it is. in its place moving races to different facitlies similiar to what Utah, Daytona, and Charlotte are.

The Shop

8/10/2016 12:04pm Edited Date/Time 8/10/2016 12:13pm
i was more eluding to moving the sx tracks to more open facilities, really more to the point of doing away with SX as it is...
i was more eluding to moving the sx tracks to more open facilities, really more to the point of doing away with SX as it is. in its place moving races to different facitlies similiar to what Utah, Daytona, and Charlotte are.
Conceptually, the sole reason Supercross exists is precisely because it brought MX (which we all know kicks ass) out of the fairgrounds and into very large capacity venues in population centers.

That's the whole point. The tracks have always just been, even after years of development, somewhat compromised to make that happen. That is the tradeoff for being able to promote a mx race in the style of a rock concert. It is MX built specifically around the promoter's facility and television needs, rather than the track.
neverwas
Fantasy
784th
8/10/2016 12:43pm
I didn't realize SX was broken and needed to be fixed. Attendance was good at most of the venues.
Other than Dungey running away and clinching the series early,it was a good season of racing.
So I don't see Feld doing away with SX as it is.
8/10/2016 12:49pm Edited Date/Time 8/10/2016 12:53pm
neverwas wrote:
I didn't realize SX was broken and needed to be fixed. Attendance was good at most of the venues. Other than Dungey running away and clinching...
I didn't realize SX was broken and needed to be fixed. Attendance was good at most of the venues.
Other than Dungey running away and clinching the series early,it was a good season of racing.
And it seems to me the MXGPs point more toward professional Motocross becoming more like Supercross than the other way around...
Phillip_Lamb
Fantasy
2447th
8/10/2016 12:54pm
neverwas wrote:
I didn't realize SX was broken and needed to be fixed. Attendance was good at most of the venues. Other than Dungey running away and clinching...
And it seems to me the MXGPs point more toward professional Motocross becoming more like Supercross than the other way around...
more to the side of removing races from natural area, ie on road race tracks to use the grandstands and professional pits. the biggest difference on what they are doing is they arent stuffing races into soccer fields ( since the dont have football ones)
8/10/2016 1:01pm Edited Date/Time 8/10/2016 1:02pm
more to the side of removing races from natural area, ie on road race tracks to use the grandstands and professional pits. the biggest difference on...
more to the side of removing races from natural area, ie on road race tracks to use the grandstands and professional pits. the biggest difference on what they are doing is they arent stuffing races into soccer fields ( since the dont have football ones)
Because it isn't a Supercross series, it is a motocross series.

But now they are getting about as close as they can to the Supercross model without holding a Supercross race.
line-up
8/10/2016 1:12pm
neverwas wrote:
It would be interesting to ask Feld, as they just fired the two top managers that ran the show for the last 20 years and attendance this year was probably the lowest you could ever remember.
early
Fantasy
2212th
8/10/2016 1:50pm
Running Super Motocross races are kinda like riding a dual sport motorcycle, it takes the best aspects of each discipline and throws them away so you end up with an experience which isnt as good as a dedicated approach to each.
The Rock
8/11/2016 12:07pm
i was more eluding to moving the sx tracks to more open facilities, really more to the point of doing away with SX as it is...
You are alluding to something that isn't happening IMO and as far as I know no one is interested in moving SX outdoors.

Did you watch Assen MXGP last year? That was a MX track if I've ever seen one. Reminded me of Lommel from the sand and lack of elevation.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
8/11/2016 12:16pm Edited Date/Time 8/11/2016 12:17pm
so i was looking at the track map for the Charlotte Gp, and it honestly resembles the early supercross races. Think about it, instead of making...
so i was looking at the track map for the Charlotte Gp, and it honestly resembles the early supercross races.

Think about it, instead of making a "supercross" track in a stadium, put a motocross track in a stadium.

this fixes many issues with supercross

1, it gets rid of the cookie cutter tracks, thereby eliminating the high difficulty of SX tracks, not to make things "easier" but a sx track requires a different skill set that a majority of riders never develop.

2. the track is bigger and faster which are two aspects we all love about outdoors.

3. again getting rid of cookie cutter tracks mean more freedom in track design, which also makes riders stay sharper. Just like in factories, injuries tend to be a result of monotony which makes guy complacent or encourages taking greater risks. so this would help breed a safer environment.

4. There wouldnt be a loss of spectators as places like Charlotte Speedway have lots of seating,

5 the current night program needs to be revamped. going to a two moto system stays inline with 90% of all moto racing,

6. having a more natural track design would create a track that would be feasible to developing a 125 pro am class. this would be a third class and replace the regional 250's while bumping up the current 250 class to a full national series
The problem is, supercross is run during the winter. So, the supercross schedule would be relegated to the southern part of the US, at best.
TallCan 16
8/11/2016 12:31pm
Putting myself in the promoter's shoes... So you want me to spend more building the track, and hold the race in a sub-par venue that only allows me to sell 1/4 the tickets?

In the words of a Canadian Dragon's Den entrepreneur, "I'M OOT"
Johnny Depp
8/11/2016 12:32pm
Since Feld has a monopoly on the stadiums, the only practical "stadium" place left for innovation outside of Feld is Nascar tracks, although most of them are not as close to the population base.

Post a reply to: MXGP can fix supercross

The Latest