MXA Trashes MotoConcepts. Why?

MCR Boss
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 1:23pm
MXA wrote:

This is a unique silly season story that involves millionaires, last chances, twitter, one last chance to be relevant and a requisite Frenchman 

Mike Alessi is a catch for the MotoConcepts team. He is a bonafide top five AMA National rider—a something that MotoConcepts hasn't had before. 

MotoConcepts is one of three American motocross teams that could rightly be called a “vanity team.” What is a vanity team? It is a team that is owned by a millionaire, who is basically spending his money to fulfill a personal dream. The other two significant vanity teams are Valli Motorsports and L&M Racing. 

There are many different types of race teams—all designed to get riders on the track and achieve a stated goal. Vanity teams differ from factory teams (which are formed to sell motorcycles and are represented currently by Honda, KTM and Kawasaki), satellite teams (which are supported by the factory and outside sponsors—like Pro Circuit Kawasaki, Yoshimura Suzuki, Geico Honda and Joe Gibbs Yamaha), privateer teams (which are funded by aggregate sponsorship from a variety of sources) and private-funded teams (which are built solely to support a single rider like Chad Reed, Nick Wey or Jason Lawrence). It takes a lot of creativity to get the millions of dollars it takes to keep the circus moving. 

MIKE ALESSI’S BOAT 

Mike Alessi found himself in the same boat this year as Chad Reed did last year—with no place to go. Not because Mike isn’t talented, but because his unique blend of skill, personality and entourage wasn’t in demand for 2012. After leaving Team KTM last month, Mike was on the verge of going the Chad Reed route for 2012. He was going to form his own Alessi Racing team and fund his own team. 

As luck would have it, MotoConcepts was also on the cusp of its racing life. Although a viable team—with support from Yamaha and funding from a millionaire, they had nothing to show for the money they had spent. In fact, during the 2011 season, they missed events (because of rider injuries), manned their team with fill-in riders and their team manager was left with little to do beside troll the internet and machine gun out tweets daily, hourly and by the minute. It was, as one of the other millionaire team managers once said, “like putting $3,000,000 in a pile and lighting it on fire.” 

The solution for Moto Concepts? Get out of the game or up their game. For 2012, MotoConcepts will unify its team with Mike Alessi’s fledgling team—in an attempt to be relevant. It could work. It gives a vagabond team a chance at a potential top five rider—and maybe even an outdoor victory. That is a chance they haven’t had in the past. 

MotoConcepts owner Mike Genova said, “Unquestionably, Mike Alessi brings an increased level of attention to our team. The interest and chatter from the media and fans since the rumors started are greater than we could have anticipated. Furthermore, I believe in Mike and Tony Alessi, I think their work ethic and commitment is second to none and they are the most genuine people I know.” 

As for the 2012 season, Mike Alessi will race a Suzuki RM-Z450 in the 2012 AMA Supercross and National series. No word on any other MotoConcepts riders, although they had announced a few weeks ago that they were hiring Jake Canada for 2012. 

MCR boss wrote:

Wow. I am not sure what I'm more blown away with, your ignorance and lack of understanding of racing and the race teams, or the lack of understanding of who MotoConcepts is as a race team or a manufacturer of motorcycle products that in the PAST has paid your fledging magazine money to advertise in. 

Or maybe I'm more perplexed that in a very weak and shaky racing economy where the factory teams are pulling out and riders like Chad Reed have to come out of their own pockets a million dollars net to go racing, why you or anybody would disrespect me, my team and my efforts to support and enhance the sport, or for that matter the other teams that you talked down to in your article. 

Allow me to enlighten you on a couple of facts that I really thought you would have already understood. In the sport of mx/sx every team is a, as you so disrespectfully termed it a "vanity" team. Teams like JGR and others are no different than MotoConcepts. Not one team, not one bike manufacturer, not anybody is making money racing other than the promoters. So in reality, every team is racing for some kind of attention, emotion, enjoyment or other motivation other than financial gain. My point is obviously proven by the fact that the motorcycle manufacturers sales are not correlated to race performance and hence their financial commitment to racing is shrinking at a rate that points to discontinue. 

In response to your ridiculousy stupid and inaccurate comment that I am just some rich guy (who probably, in your opinion made money playing the lotto) that sends money down to my race team in Cali, implying who knows what, couldn't be more wrong. Myself and my staff are very hands on, and work very hard to create a team and a product company that is professional and successful in an industry that is chalked full of back stabbing, under handed, inexperienced, lying and more, riders, agents, sponsors and even journalists. I could say more but I won't. 

So my question to you is why someone in your position would choose to use the term "circus" when referring to the sport and or the teams that invest all the hard work, effort and money that it takes. Why you would imply that it's wrong move or bad thing for the sport or the riders to have fill in riders. Or how you know MotoConcepts is in any shape or form "is on the cusp of their racing life". Or, what the hell is a vagabond team and why you think you have the right to publicly label my team that. 

Your journalist effort is not only disrespectful, rude, irresponsible, unfounded, nonfactual, ignorant and destructive to MotoConcepts and a great rider in Mike Alessi but is also slanderous. 

For those who applaud you for saying it like it is, their wrong. You don't have a clue how things really are. 

By the way, the only thing resembling the circus here is you the "clown".
|
Slow
10/23/2011 11:14am Edited Date/Time 10/23/2011 11:14am
Get Wonder Warthog after them! I won't buy anything from you because of him.
Sherwood
10/23/2011 11:16am
Slow wrote:
Because he called Pourcel what he was?
Ddavis
10/23/2011 11:19am Edited Date/Time 10/23/2011 11:21am
Did Alessi go to Motoconcepts, or is Motoconcepts just helping out his program?

EDIT: Just read it, Alessi to Motoconcepts. At first I just thought they were supporting his effort.

The Shop

kongols
10/23/2011 11:23am
Slow wrote:
Sherwood wrote:
Because he called Pourcel what he was?
What he was ?
bigcat
10/23/2011 11:24am
Since you wouldn't answer his phone calls.
Would you care to answer any of the questions in this post by Guy B here?

"Okay, you've probably noticed some rumblings regarding Mike Alessi, MotoConcepts Yamaha, and JGR. Here's what we've learned so far...at least from one side. I've tried to get MotoConcept's Mike Genova on the phone, but with no success.

The Wednesday before the Monster Energy Cup in Las Vegas, Mike Alessi apparently signed an agreement to ride for MotoConcepts. From what I understand, this was done without Mike's agent present, and before the agent got a chance to review the agreement. Apparently Mike was also pressure to sign it, and was supposed to be presented with a lump payment at the start of the deal, but that didn't happen, and apparently hasn't happened yet.

We also a press release last night regarding the signing of Alessi and MotoConcepts, but got a preemptive email from Mike's side, asking us to not run it. With things apparently in dispute, we opted not to."
downandup
10/23/2011 11:25am Edited Date/Time 10/23/2011 11:26am
They are trashing your team because you hired Tony Alessi over DV....

Maybe because you are a fool?????

Maybe because Jody likes to be funny???

Don't get your panties in such a wad. You were stupid to hire Friese over Top Jimmy, and then pull in Pourcel later. Now you joined in with the Alessi clan.

Expect more bashing in the future, Genova.
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
10/23/2011 11:27am
Ddavis wrote:
Did Alessi go to Motoconcepts, or is Motoconcepts just helping out his program? EDIT: Just read it, Alessi to Motoconcepts. At first I just thought they...

EDIT: Just read it, Alessi to Motoconcepts. At first I just thought they were supporting his effort.
Devin, I believe that situation is sort of a mess right now...from what I had read last night (GuyB's post).

Back on topic...
I think having guy's like Mike Genova & Teams like Motoconcepts involved in this sport is a great thing.
His team deserves just as much respect as any other teams in the paddock.
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
10/23/2011 11:32am Edited Date/Time 10/23/2011 11:33am
downandup wrote:
They are trashing your team because you hired Tony Alessi over DV.... Maybe because you are a fool????? Maybe because Jody likes to be funny??? Don't...

Don't get your panties in such a wad. You were stupid to hire Friese over Top Jimmy, and then pull in Pourcel later. Now you joined in with the Alessi clan.

Spuds
10/23/2011 11:40am
downandup wrote:
They are trashing your team because you hired Tony Alessi over DV.... Maybe because you are a fool????? Maybe because Jody likes to be funny??? Don't...

X2 .... sorry but he's right.

You wanted attention sir and you have found it. Might not be good attention but you've got people talking. Controversy is what comes with Team Alessi but you obviously knew that when you got involved.
You just up and ditch the guy that turned around your program. Very shady move. You obviously rubbed a lot of people the wrong way with that move and you're seeing the backlash. DV brought a lot of positive attention to your program last year but this year you can expect a whole new kind of attention.

You will lose more fans/customers than you will gain with the way you handled this situation!!!!!
gsxrcr28
Fantasy
2452nd
10/23/2011 11:42am
Ddavis wrote:
Did Alessi go to Motoconcepts, or is Motoconcepts just helping out his program? EDIT: Just read it, Alessi to Motoconcepts. At first I just thought they...

FastEddy wrote:
Devin, I believe that situation is sort of a mess right now...from what I had read last night (GuyB's post). Back on topic... I think having...
Devin, I believe that situation is sort of a mess right now...from what I had read last night (GuyB's post).

Back on topic...
I think having guy's like Mike Genova & Teams like Motoconcepts involved in this sport is a great thing.
His team deserves just as much respect as any other teams in the paddock.
Yep!

They may not always make perfect decisions (nobody does), but we are lucky to have teams like them in the sport.

Props to Mike Genova and Motoconcepts.
Sherwood
10/23/2011 11:45am
downandup wrote:

Spuds wrote:
X2 .... sorry but he's right. You wanted attention sir and you have found it. Might not be good attention but you've got people talking. Controversy...
X2 .... sorry but he's right.

You wanted attention sir and you have found it. Might not be good attention but you've got people talking. Controversy is what comes with Team Alessi but you obviously knew that when you got involved.
You just up and ditch the guy that turned around your program. Very shady move. You obviously rubbed a lot of people the wrong way with that move and you're seeing the backlash. DV brought a lot of positive attention to your program last year but this year you can expect a whole new kind of attention.

You will lose more fans/customers than you will gain with the way you handled this situation!!!!!
Sticking up for your company is now bad?
Xeno
10/23/2011 11:46am
I completely agree with at least one point that MCR Boss makes: Every team in the paddock is funded by marketing dollars.

I had some banter with Racer111 about this a few weeks ago. He said OEMs could fund their progams by selling works parts to satellite teams. I say it's impossible to fund a team on parts sales alone.

I've said it before: our sport will look real ghetto without guys like MCR, Valli, JGR, ( )&M. Instead of being jelous of their wealth, I say thanks for spending money on our super-fun sport.
YOTMXDAD
10/23/2011 11:47am
downandup wrote:

Hey downandup, what is your team called? What riders did you hire? Oh thats right, you have no room to talk shit to Genova. He is building HIS team year after year, helping riders and giving them jobs/opportunities to succeed. Are you?

And to that weisel at MXA, no one cares what you think. End of story.
kongols
10/23/2011 11:53am
I`m not a fan of entitlement programs.
downandup
10/23/2011 11:54am
downandup wrote:

YOTMXDAD wrote:
Hey downandup, what is your team called? What riders did you hire? Oh thats right, you have no room to talk shit to Genova. He is...
Hey downandup, what is your team called? What riders did you hire? Oh thats right, you have no room to talk shit to Genova. He is building HIS team year after year, helping riders and giving them jobs/opportunities to succeed. Are you?

And to that weisel at MXA, no one cares what you think. End of story.
Genova asked a question, and I answered it. doi!!!

I always laugh when people resort to "I don't see you on the podium" or "I bet you can't beat him", or "where's your team".
downandup
10/23/2011 11:55am
Chili wrote:
Good for you for standing up for yourself. While you're here and we have your attention can you cut Motohose the check you owe them and...
Good for you for standing up for yourself. While you're here and we have your attention can you cut Motohose the check you owe them and clear that matter up? It is referenced in this thread on page 4 http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/DV12-on-Why-He-is-not-Tea…
Woohoo
j100
10/23/2011 12:01pm
you people that are bashing Mike need to get a fucking life.

Jody is so out of touch from reality nowadays that his magazine is irrilevent.

the fact that he would bash a team owner that's trying to grow our sport just goes to show how foolish he is.

this offseason has really spun off a lot of ignorance.
Sherwood
10/23/2011 12:05pm
People wonder why we don't have more teams...
10/23/2011 12:08pm
MotoConcepts is as a race team or a manufacturer of motorcycle products that in the PAST has paid your fledging magazine money to advertise in.

I am pretty sure MXA has been around for at least 30 years, so how can you call it a fledgling magazine and expect to be taken seriously?

Not one team, not one bike manufacturer, not anybody is making money racing other than the promoters.

So then they are making money, just as I suspected.......interesting.
The Universe
10/23/2011 12:17pm
Honestly I think getting rid of DV was one of the better things that could have happened for Moto Concepts. DV trashed current and former riders under his employ.

I'll admit that I don't know the motocross business, but I will say a manager bad-mouthing his employees is spineless and low. When I saw DV pointing out Vince Friese cutting on the track on Twitter I thought "how in the world do they ever expect to get a top rider is this is how they treat their guys?" Can you even imagine a top tier guy like DeCoster doing that?

Mike, you've done more as an entrepreneur than 99.9% of us on this board even dream. Your instincts have gotten you this far with your business, and I hope they get you where you want to go with your race team. I for one am supportive of what you're trying to do . Good luck! (Even if you are from Eastern Washington Wink )
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
10/23/2011 12:21pm
Sherwood wrote:
People wonder why we don't have more teams...
X2

Whether you agree or not with who MC's hires and/or fires, you gotta respect the fact that they are even there.
The WWF fan mentality(Good Guys vs Bad Guys) in this sport at times does make me laugh though.
mag23
10/23/2011 12:22pm
Chili wrote:
Good for you for standing up for yourself. While you're here and we have your attention can you cut Motohose the check you owe them and...
Good for you for standing up for yourself. While you're here and we have your attention can you cut Motohose the check you owe them and clear that matter up? It is referenced in this thread on page 4 http://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/DV12-on-Why-He-is-not-Tea…
downandup wrote:
Woohoo
in motohoses post, he said he had sent a bunch of FREE product to motoconcepts... what part of free did I misunderstand? Upand Down, you're a kook, and why does chili care if motohose gets paid? Are you the owner of motohose, or something? Why does somebody like Genova have to come to his own defense? We should be applauding him for his efforts, and even more applause for providing us internet d-bags something to be up-in-arms about during this horrendously boring offseason.
MX Culture
10/23/2011 12:26pm
SuperMario wrote:
[b]MotoConcepts is as a race team or a manufacturer of motorcycle products that in the PAST has paid your fledging magazine money to advertise in. [/b]...
MotoConcepts is as a race team or a manufacturer of motorcycle products that in the PAST has paid your fledging magazine money to advertise in.

I am pretty sure MXA has been around for at least 30 years, so how can you call it a fledgling magazine and expect to be taken seriously?

Not one team, not one bike manufacturer, not anybody is making money racing other than the promoters.

So then they are making money, just as I suspected.......interesting.
Because it is a fledging magazine.
It WAS once a powerhouse.
It WAS once THE best mx mag out there.
Now it's a crappy, bitter mag run by a few old guys with flo orange helmets that race at 3 tracks in SoCal and think they got the industry pegged by sending their lone photoographer to A1. (bi-yearly).
If the mag was for sale, I'd try to buy it. It has a great name, history and future potential.
But with the current group there and game plan in effect, it is a FLEDGING magazine.

Don't worry about it Mike, the few people reading it are not your core fans or followers.
10/23/2011 12:31pm
I'd rather a magazine tell it like it is and not kiss everyones ass for a few advertising bucks, then to be an ass kiss, and hide the truth

Of course most of the industry protects each other in a sad little clique that they are.

Another reason why I would never let a kid of mine partake in the powersports industry.

DC and RX seems to have everybody wrapped around their thumbs these days.

I used to think America had freedom of speech, but seems that only applies if you like whose mouth the words are coming out of anymore.
Sherwood
10/23/2011 12:36pm
SuperMario wrote:
I'd rather a magazine tell it like it is and not kiss everyones ass for a few advertising bucks, then to be an ass kiss, and...
I'd rather a magazine tell it like it is and not kiss everyones ass for a few advertising bucks, then to be an ass kiss, and hide the truth

Of course most of the industry protects each other in a sad little clique that they are.

Another reason why I would never let a kid of mine partake in the powersports industry.

DC and RX seems to have everybody wrapped around their thumbs these days.

I used to think America had freedom of speech, but seems that only applies if you like whose mouth the words are coming out of anymore.
Freedom of speech vs slander...
DownSouth
10/23/2011 12:40pm
mag23 wrote:
in motohoses post, he said he had sent a bunch of FREE product to motoconcepts... what part of free did I misunderstand? Upand Down, you're a...
in motohoses post, he said he had sent a bunch of FREE product to motoconcepts... what part of free did I misunderstand? Upand Down, you're a kook, and why does chili care if motohose gets paid? Are you the owner of motohose, or something? Why does somebody like Genova have to come to his own defense? We should be applauding him for his efforts, and even more applause for providing us internet d-bags something to be up-in-arms about during this horrendously boring offseason.
Free product per a contract which was apparently broken when the team did run the product. The whole purpose of sponsorship is that the team gets free product and/or cash and the sponsor receives attention for their product by being on the bike. When a team does not actually run the product the sponsor is left with nothing to show for the deal. It sounded like Motohose confronted the team about it they agreed to pay for the product since they were not using it and had a competitors product on the bike.
DC
10/23/2011 12:46pm
Hey Super Mario, I know your strange obsession with me is what gets you out of bed and behind your computer in the morning but to drag me down into this mud-slinging match between another magazine and a team is pretty low, even for you.

DC
MX Sports

Post a reply to: MXA Trashes MotoConcepts. Why?

The Latest