MX VS ATV SUPERCROSS

Cliffy615
Fantasy
2899th
Edited Date/Time 11/19/2015 5:29am
I received the new game early, i got it yesterday lunch time. I have to say i was very disappointed,

I restrained from writing this post until i had given it a fair chance, so i completed it and unlocked everything. Reflex came out 5 years ago, and i can't find one thing about this new game that i prefer over reflex, (i wasn't to much of a fan of alive either) which is why i'm comparing with reflex

I hate to be so negative about a product but when you've been exited about something for months and then spend money on it, for it to be a disappointment is just a shame!

There are still enjoyable aspects to the game as a motocross fan but i have to be honest i'll be sticking the game on eBay to get as much money back as i can to try and get it sold near to the official release date.

I recently bought the MXGP game and the graphics were fantastic and had a lot of really good features on the game, such as starting on a privateer team and working up to factory, all official bike brands and gear, technicians coming to the line with the rider, exact replicas of the GP circuits etc etc but the actual riding game play was a little off, if Nordic teamed up with the makers of MXGP for their next release it would be ground breaking for motocross gaming and would entice new fans to the sport.

For Nordic's first game it wasn't a bad effort but it still isn't as good as reflex or MXGP which came out this year.
A lot of improvements to be made.
|
10/24/2014 6:25am
Well that stinks. Good heads up, thanks for sharing. Wish they offered MXGP here in the states for Xbox.

10/24/2014 6:32am Edited Date/Time 10/24/2014 6:32am
cheers for the quick review i was watching vids this morning and thought the tracks looked pretty similar to reflex size wise etc. and was nearly going to order it...i'm the same i think alive sucked
is it the physics that aren't right?
Br727
10/24/2014 6:38am
Could you be more specific as to what about the game is disappointing?
Spydee
10/24/2014 6:49am
Br727 wrote:
Might be easier to list what isn't disappointing by the sounds of it.

The Shop

yzjs7
10/24/2014 7:18am
I'm still buying it. It's only thirty bucks and they want to keep the franchise going.
Cliffy615
Fantasy
2899th
10/24/2014 7:19am
Br727 wrote:
no noticable improvements over previous games apart from the following couple of points:
couple of improvements i have seen that bikes bog a little out the corners especially on the 125 and a dab of the clutch is needed to regain speed which is cool, the only other improvement that they have changed is that you can battle with other riders without taping them and falling straight off.

Negatives: The general gameplay, handing, poor whips/scubs, no story to the career, short game, basic menus, from stand still releasing the clutch is like having NOS, they have bought back in the preload, but instead of it being a realistic seat bounce it's more like a pogo stick, it's very arcade like and hasn't progressed in anyway forward from a game that was released 5 years ago, if you don't finish 1st you don't get to finish the race it just stops when the leader has won, i was lined up next to Roczen who was wearing rainbow gear rather than fox lol.

Having played MXGP, other than the actual handing of the bike which is obviously very important they've got the rest of the game basically spot on, the gameplay also being better than SX, so to see where mx gaming can be.. As i said it was a disappointment.. Sorry if i've annoyed anyone who hasn't played it yet, just wanted to give my opinion and a heads up about what i thought, i'm sure many people will still enjoy it, i didn't not enjoy it. I was just dissapointed that i thought it would have progressed from reflex not gone backwards.
10/24/2014 7:20am
yzjs7 wrote:
I'm still buying it. It's only thirty bucks and they want to keep the franchise going.
$30?? Video games, unused, can be obtained for $30 now?? News to me! Maybe I'll blow the dust off my Xbox after all..
10/24/2014 7:22am
yzjs7 wrote:
x100
Zracer
10/24/2014 7:24am
Well that stinks. Good heads up, thanks for sharing. Wish they offered MXGP here in the states for Xbox. [img]http://www.pulpmx.com/sites/default/files/u165/m.alessi_14_anaheim1_jl_1184.jpg[/img]
Well that stinks. Good heads up, thanks for sharing. Wish they offered MXGP here in the states for Xbox.

MXGP is coming out in the USA at the end of November for 360 ,PS3, PS4. You can preorder at Gamestop.
Cliffy615
Fantasy
2899th
10/24/2014 7:27am
yzjs7 wrote:
I agree with this fully and i'm glad i bought it to help reboot the franchise and hopefully they can use constructive criticism to grow and develop for future games! To a MX fan it is worth the money, just to complete it, but it's not like reflex where i still play the game 5 years later and thoroughly enjoy it, i've completed it and found i've got my moneys worth and now will put it back on the shelf for someone else.
Katoomey
10/24/2014 7:35am
Cliffy615 wrote:
I agree with this fully and i'm glad i bought it to help reboot the franchise and hopefully they can use constructive criticism to grow and...
I agree with this fully and i'm glad i bought it to help reboot the franchise and hopefully they can use constructive criticism to grow and develop for future games! To a MX fan it is worth the money, just to complete it, but it's not like reflex where i still play the game 5 years later and thoroughly enjoy it, i've completed it and found i've got my moneys worth and now will put it back on the shelf for someone else.
that is just ignorant. Sales are their number one source of feedback. the majority of gamers aren't on message boards giving feedback.

sales are the only thing that matter in single-a or b-level game development/publishing. it's all about putting the least amount of time in and using the most existing code.

don't let wishful thinking cloud your judgement.
Crash82
Fantasy
2036th
10/24/2014 7:37am
I'm buying it! Maybe online play will be good on Xbox....can't be worse than MXGP, stay tuned!
YZ324
10/24/2014 7:40am
Nice report and thanks! I like both Reflex and Alive for different reasons but like you, I feel that if they added replica tracks like Redbud, Unadilla or Glen Helen it would add to the realism. Maybe even a simple track builder for SX that you could share in Multi
YZ125H1
10/24/2014 7:44am
What I dont get is you complain about the arcade features. This game is not supposed to be realistic like MXGP. Plus nordic is trying to capture a wide fan base not the hardcore gamer/rider so they can sell more copies. I'm looking forward to supercross at least racing online. I do not get what everyone is obsessed with reflex about the game got stale really quick. Just a lack of tracks and environments the game could of been so much more for consoles. I do like playing sim games but is it nice to sit back and play an arcade MX game sometimes. Hey it is only $30 not like it is $50 or more.
10/24/2014 7:46am
Cliffy615 wrote:
no noticable improvements over previous games apart from the following couple of points: couple of improvements i have seen that bikes bog a little out the...
no noticable improvements over previous games apart from the following couple of points:
couple of improvements i have seen that bikes bog a little out the corners especially on the 125 and a dab of the clutch is needed to regain speed which is cool, the only other improvement that they have changed is that you can battle with other riders without taping them and falling straight off.

Negatives: The general gameplay, handing, poor whips/scubs, no story to the career, short game, basic menus, from stand still releasing the clutch is like having NOS, they have bought back in the preload, but instead of it being a realistic seat bounce it's more like a pogo stick, it's very arcade like and hasn't progressed in anyway forward from a game that was released 5 years ago, if you don't finish 1st you don't get to finish the race it just stops when the leader has won, i was lined up next to Roczen who was wearing rainbow gear rather than fox lol.

Having played MXGP, other than the actual handing of the bike which is obviously very important they've got the rest of the game basically spot on, the gameplay also being better than SX, so to see where mx gaming can be.. As i said it was a disappointment.. Sorry if i've annoyed anyone who hasn't played it yet, just wanted to give my opinion and a heads up about what i thought, i'm sure many people will still enjoy it, i didn't not enjoy it. I was just dissapointed that i thought it would have progressed from reflex not gone backwards.
"if you don't finish 1st you don't get to finish the race it just stops when the leader has won"

Whoa, that's a pretty shocking design decision right there! I appreciate you posting your thoughts on the game, cheers.
Denn700
10/24/2014 8:05am
Is it for sale on the Playstation Store yet?
O___o
10/24/2014 8:12am Edited Date/Time 10/24/2014 8:12am
Zracer wrote:
MXGP is coming out in the USA at the end of November for 360 ,PS3, PS4. You can preorder at Gamestop.
I've had it for almost a year. maybe march 2014? cant remember. It's a good game. I think mine is a UK version brought in thru canada. physics are not incredibly real, and the scrub motion on the joystick is too similar to the cornering motion, so you scrub berms occasionally, but other than that, its a fun game, i think. not much of a gamer though.
chuckdavies
10/24/2014 8:12am
I also got it yesterday on early release, and your review is 100% spot on Smile I was nearly sick in my mouth when I noticed the tld kit was 3 years old...WHY?! SO many annoying features for such a hyped up game, damn.
peelout
10/24/2014 8:28am
i'll still be picking it up, the cool thing about video games is different strokes for different folks.

speaking of constructive criticism, maybe hold off on slamming the game 5 days before it comes out. believe it or not, you probably just talked a lot of people out of trying it for themselves and forming their own opinion, and for Nordic's first release of the series they probably need all the sales they can get to ensure another addition to the series.

just my opinion, thanks for sharing yours
crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
10/24/2014 8:30am
My fav game is still MVA unleashed lol... (And mxgp)
The most Important thing for me is that the rider and bike look and move realistic.
Ofc a story (linke mtx mototrax had a very cool career mode) and Stadiums and stuff is cool but I buy it because you can ride a dirtbike first of all. And its no fun to me if the rider looks like hes taking a shit vor something.
10/24/2014 8:32am
I'll agree that the preload looks like its a little much, maybe they could tame it down a bit with an update. But the clutch 'boost' as you put it, can more than not be a good thing. Think of how often you'd screw up in a rhythm in Reflex, and either bounce your way through, or have to come to a complete stop to double something. At least if you crash or screw up, you're not losing a ton of time to the guy in front of you. I think it looks pretty good.

https://youtu.be/cbI4QFi3ssc
SEE ARE125
10/24/2014 8:46am
Thanks for the review, but I'm taking it with a grain of salt. I've read negative reviews about Untamed, Reflex, and Alive, and I enjoyed the hell out of all 3. Granted they were all 3 vastly different, and I also hated them at first because the learning curve between the games was really steep, but after putting in some time and actually getting good at the game, they all turned out to be fun as hell. Also, the improvements you listed were there in Alive. It required a lot of clutch, and unlike Reflex, you could bump or be bumped without going down, but it still allowed you to punt the fuck out of someone if need be. Alive also had a good seat bounce when used properly. I don't understand the need for a "story" though. It's a racing game, the fastest guy wins, end of story. I don't need scenes I have to sit through where the team manager is giving me shit about my poor finish. After I complete the career, the majority of my time will be spent online, so a story isn't that important to me. I'm sure others opinion will differ.

I can't wait to give it a shot myself Tuesday. I'll reserve judgement until I actually get good at the game.
40Plus_922mx
10/24/2014 8:47am
I know the market for this type of game seems limited to game companies. But the reason it is, is because they keep putting out crap. I really wish a game company would take it seriously and get the right people involved. So much for my sleepless nights these past few weeks anticipating this.
bsharkey
10/24/2014 8:54am
crusty_xx wrote:
My fav game is still MVA unleashed lol... (And mxgp) The most Important thing for me is that the rider and bike look and move realistic...
My fav game is still MVA unleashed lol... (And mxgp)
The most Important thing for me is that the rider and bike look and move realistic.
Ofc a story (linke mtx mototrax had a very cool career mode) and Stadiums and stuff is cool but I buy it because you can ride a dirtbike first of all. And its no fun to me if the rider looks like hes taking a shit vor something.
that's funny I loved that game too . and its old. sucks my kid wil,l. be disappointed again
Jroc
Fantasy
2524th
10/24/2014 10:05am
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Thanks for the review, but I'm taking it with a grain of salt. I've read negative reviews about Untamed, Reflex, and Alive, and I enjoyed the...
Thanks for the review, but I'm taking it with a grain of salt. I've read negative reviews about Untamed, Reflex, and Alive, and I enjoyed the hell out of all 3. Granted they were all 3 vastly different, and I also hated them at first because the learning curve between the games was really steep, but after putting in some time and actually getting good at the game, they all turned out to be fun as hell. Also, the improvements you listed were there in Alive. It required a lot of clutch, and unlike Reflex, you could bump or be bumped without going down, but it still allowed you to punt the fuck out of someone if need be. Alive also had a good seat bounce when used properly. I don't understand the need for a "story" though. It's a racing game, the fastest guy wins, end of story. I don't need scenes I have to sit through where the team manager is giving me shit about my poor finish. After I complete the career, the majority of my time will be spent online, so a story isn't that important to me. I'm sure others opinion will differ.

I can't wait to give it a shot myself Tuesday. I'll reserve judgement until I actually get good at the game.
I agree with you for the most part except a solid Story/Career mode I think is crucial to the game. I've been playing the F1 games and its nice how realistic they are. Real gear and manufacturers, start from a low level team and work your way up. Practise, heats, lcq, mains would liven things up and I think would be fairly easy for the developers to incorporate in the game.
SEE ARE125
10/24/2014 10:28am
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Thanks for the review, but I'm taking it with a grain of salt. I've read negative reviews about Untamed, Reflex, and Alive, and I enjoyed the...

Jroc wrote:
I agree with you for the most part except a solid Story/Career mode I think is crucial to the game. I've been playing the F1 games...
I agree with you for the most part except a solid Story/Career mode I think is crucial to the game. I've been playing the F1 games and its nice how realistic they are. Real gear and manufacturers, start from a low level team and work your way up. Practise, heats, lcq, mains would liven things up and I think would be fairly easy for the developers to incorporate in the game.
No doubt, I would love for the game to start out by being an amateur at Loretta's, and then based on your finish there, you receive offers from various teams, PC, Geico, RedBull KTM, TLD, etc and then work your way up to the 450s. I didn't mean to come off as saying I wouldn't welcome a great story line. I was just saying that for a $29.99 game, it's not a necessity for me, and I would prefer the focus to be on getting the gameplay/physics all dialed in with this game, THEN adding a story mode, real bikes/gear etc and fine tuning the details on the next game. Basically, I'd like for them to use THIS game as a stepping stone to creating something really great for the next game.
moto282
10/24/2014 10:41am Edited Date/Time 10/24/2014 10:43am
Does MX vs. ATV Supercross still feel like Alive? I hate how Alive feels like there is twice the gravity. I've enjoyed all the MX vs ATV games up until I Alive. I'll still play Alive from time to time, but Reflex for me is ten times better. I have to play Alive in first person because I can't stand the huge rider and terrible style. Not sure why they changed that when they had it right with Reflex. But from the preview video MX Supercross looks like they got the first person view improved, so fingers crossed on that. I also got Reflex on PC and they have a lot more downloadable tracks you can race on which is cool... actual tracks and stuff, but I'm not a big fan of video games on PC.

I'm totally confused why people like MXGP. The tracks, riders, bikes, story, etc.. all are perfect. But the physics and feel of the bike are horrid to the point I can't play it. Mad Skills has better physics and riding feel. But I buy every dirt bike video game to try and support the genre.
10/24/2014 11:04am Edited Date/Time 10/24/2014 11:05am
Completed in a day???

Not worth anything more than a fiver

Shame, I like reflex
David Murphy
10/24/2014 11:15am
Zracer wrote:
O___o wrote:
I've had it for almost a year. maybe march 2014? cant remember. It's a good game. I think mine is a UK version brought in thru...
I've had it for almost a year. maybe march 2014? cant remember. It's a good game. I think mine is a UK version brought in thru canada. physics are not incredibly real, and the scrub motion on the joystick is too similar to the cornering motion, so you scrub berms occasionally, but other than that, its a fun game, i think. not much of a gamer though.
MXGP is a good game. They just need to increase the AI. I did a perfect season in my 3rd season. Sad

Post a reply to: MX VS ATV SUPERCROSS

The Latest