MX Tracks near Asheville, NC??

Edited Date/Time 2/10/2015 10:50pm
I have tried all the websites with track info and came up with nothing. I have a friend that lives there and was going to visit but he doesn't ride so has no connections there. I refuse to believe western NC is an MX void. Thanks for any help.
|
wwoberg
2/2/2015 5:45pm
Muddy creek is real close. There are a number of places in TN near Knoxville. Probably an hour or so. Also a number of places in the blue ridge mtns near the TN/NC/GA border. Go to GA-MXracing.com or georgiaoffroad.com

The Shop

logan_140
2/2/2015 8:29pm
wwoberg wrote:
Muddy creek is real close. There are a number of places in TN near Knoxville. Probably an hour or so. Also a number of places in...
Muddy creek is real close. There are a number of places in TN near Knoxville. Probably an hour or so. Also a number of places in the blue ridge mtns near the TN/NC/GA border. Go to GA-MXracing.com or georgiaoffroad.com
Mc only open for races. Tracks is terrible anyway unless the national is in.. Concrete highway. Kickers everywhere (victory sports won't fix them) watched 3 people go over the bars the same way after the am finish line a couple years ago and they didn't do a thing
2/3/2015 6:00am
Foothills looks to be the closest, open for practice the most but the not as nice as Cathy's creek. I have been to Lakeside a few years back but couldn't remember the name. All of these are within an hour and look like fun. Based on what I've found I need to move to the Ashville area and open a top notch practice facility that's open daily lol
jchek779
2/3/2015 6:14am
Foothills looks to be the closest, open for practice the most but the not as nice as Cathy's creek. I have been to Lakeside a few...
Foothills looks to be the closest, open for practice the most but the not as nice as Cathy's creek. I have been to Lakeside a few years back but couldn't remember the name. All of these are within an hour and look like fun. Based on what I've found I need to move to the Ashville area and open a top notch practice facility that's open daily lol
One would think this place could use a riding area but...most people here are into mountain biking, nature, marijuana, and recycling. There was a lot of rumbling 2 years ago when someone was trying to put a practice facility in Swannanoa near I-40.

As others have said, Lakeside and Foothills are the closest to AVL at an hour away.
Possum Kingdom in Belton, SC is 90 minutes away. They rip that track deep on weekends they are open. I'd go there if you're coming from deep black dirt north of the Mason-Dixon line.
Daniel's Ridge in Taylorsville takes 2hrs of driving to get there. That's a fun track.
logan_140
2/3/2015 6:27am
Foothills looks to be the closest, open for practice the most but the not as nice as Cathy's creek. I have been to Lakeside a few...
jchek779 wrote:
One would think this place could use a riding area but...most people here are into mountain biking, nature, marijuana, and recycling. There was a lot of...
One would think this place could use a riding area but...most people here are into mountain biking, nature, marijuana, and recycling. There was a lot of rumbling 2 years ago when someone was trying to put a practice facility in Swannanoa near I-40.

As others have said, Lakeside and Foothills are the closest to AVL at an hour away.
Possum Kingdom in Belton, SC is 90 minutes away. They rip that track deep on weekends they are open. I'd go there if you're coming from deep black dirt north of the Mason-Dixon line.
Daniel's Ridge in Taylorsville takes 2hrs of driving to get there. That's a fun track.
Use to be a nice track in roman nc. Had a irrigation system and everything
jmx411
2/3/2015 6:57am
Yea Asheville is turning into nothing but hippies and tree huggers. Not to talk bad about them, just that hippies and people trying to open a motocross track usually don't go hand in hand
AngryBear
2/9/2015 12:24am
i live in Asheville. Foothills is by far the closest track, about 50mins from downtown. Nothing closer than that, several attempts made, all shut down by locals. Definitely not a moto friendly city. Outside of that, beautiful place to live, just expect to drive an hour to two hours to find a place to ride...
2/9/2015 2:46pm
AngryBear wrote:
i live in Asheville. Foothills is by far the closest track, about 50mins from downtown. Nothing closer than that, several attempts made, all shut down by...
i live in Asheville. Foothills is by far the closest track, about 50mins from downtown. Nothing closer than that, several attempts made, all shut down by locals. Definitely not a moto friendly city. Outside of that, beautiful place to live, just expect to drive an hour to two hours to find a place to ride...
My friend actually lives in Etowah. I will be staying there for 3 days and riding for 2 while he's at work. Is Foothills open every day and is it worth it? Any privately owned places?
2/9/2015 2:58pm
I went to Brushy Mountain Motorsports Park yesterday. They have fixed their MX track up with some nice jumps. It was formally a path with a few small jumps that was rarely maintained if ever. The layout is great with nice elevation changes. There is a uphill section in the back with double or triple options. Very fun.

It is groomed on Fridays only, but was still in good shape Sunday. Most of the riders that visit the park are trail riders, so it doesn't see many riders over the weekend. ATVs are not allowed on the track.

Worth the trip if you decide to check it out. bmmspark.com
olds cool
2/9/2015 8:14pm
Asheville has been the east coast version of San Francisco for a while now.
2/10/2015 12:38pm
I went to Brushy Mountain Motorsports Park yesterday. They have fixed their MX track up with some nice jumps. It was formally a path with a...
I went to Brushy Mountain Motorsports Park yesterday. They have fixed their MX track up with some nice jumps. It was formally a path with a few small jumps that was rarely maintained if ever. The layout is great with nice elevation changes. There is a uphill section in the back with double or triple options. Very fun.

It is groomed on Fridays only, but was still in good shape Sunday. Most of the riders that visit the park are trail riders, so it doesn't see many riders over the weekend. ATVs are not allowed on the track.

Worth the trip if you decide to check it out. bmmspark.com
Taylorsville is a 4 hour daily round trip from Asheville. I ride MX421 and surrounding tracks in the winter which is 4 hours one way. Just looking for something close. Thanks though.
Dragoo168
2/10/2015 1:14pm
And for future reference, you can usually call the bike shops in any area, and get decent info about tracks, and areas to just ride.
2/10/2015 1:36pm Edited Date/Time 2/10/2015 1:36pm
+1 on Iron City. It sat for a while but it's been revamped and when they're open, they definitely put a lot of work into it.

Vance Earl took over maintaining it with the help of another local guy, Mike LaFollette, who is absolutely awesome on any piece of equipment. Mike actually came and smoothed out some trails prior to the GP race I put on at Zoo City MX in Asheboro, NC and made them 10 times better.

Between the two local hare scramble series' Vance has about 10 overall championships, and still contends for morning overall wins at GNCCs, so it's good to have a guy like that running the place.
AngryBear
2/10/2015 8:40pm
here's the schedule for foothills. they are a practice only track

Wednesday – Sunday*, 12-6pm - $20 per rider practice fee
*closed first weekend of month and 3rd Sunday for town ordinance

http://fptmotocross.com/

most of the track is pretty sandy and holds up well after rain
2/10/2015 9:38pm
Dragoo168 wrote:
And for future reference, you can usually call the bike shops in any area, and get decent info about tracks, and areas to just ride.
Thanks for the tip but I was hoping to get info from people who actually ride the tracks. If you called my local shop you could talk with a 66 year old that rides goldwings lol
2/10/2015 9:39pm
AngryBear wrote:
here's the schedule for foothills. they are a practice only track Wednesday – Sunday*, 12-6pm - $20 per rider practice fee *closed first weekend of month...
here's the schedule for foothills. they are a practice only track

Wednesday – Sunday*, 12-6pm - $20 per rider practice fee
*closed first weekend of month and 3rd Sunday for town ordinance

http://fptmotocross.com/

most of the track is pretty sandy and holds up well after rain
Thanks!
montesagold
2/10/2015 10:49pm
Foothills is hard to beat. I81 in Tennessee that was mentioned is not maintained and unfortunately muddy creek is not open for practice.
montesagold
2/10/2015 10:50pm
Foothills is hard to beat. I81 in Tennessee that was mentioned is not maintained and unfortunately muddy creek is not open for practice. New place in Spartanburg just opened, beaver creek.
rutleyj
1/14/2017 9:36pm
Hello,
I'm new to Asheville and MX. I used to ride supersport then switched to cycling. I have always been interested in MX and trail/Enduro.

To be "frank" is it worth getting into the sport in the Asheville area. More precise Hendersonville. I'm afraid I will get bored of going to the same places all the time. I see there is Lake Side close by, Wayehutta, cathys creak. I don't want to drive longer than I would ride if that makes sense.

I am more interested in trail then MX. I'm pretty happy spending hours hours alone on the trails at my own pace. MX looks to be a blast but how many time can you go in a circle before getting bored or stuck in traffic. Like I said I have never MX before. For what I'm finding I can get into MX and take that same bike on the trails. Getting a little bit of both every time I go out. I'll ride mostly weekends.

So is it worth dropping 4k to get started in this sport in this area? Thank you for your input.

Post a reply to: MX Tracks near Asheville, NC??

The Latest