MX Sports and a game of chicken...

WORCSRacer
3/23/2010 10:42pm Edited Date/Time 1/26/2012 2:29am
With 50% of dirt bike sales in the US out west (specifically in California), the home to all the major factories (who don't need anymore reasons or excuses to cut back on racing) and home to the bulk of the MX industry, the word on the street is Glen Helen, Hangtown and Washougal are to be dropped from the 2010 AMA Outdoor Schedule in the next two weeks...

Reasons: The cost of the TV package, required "improvements" and the lack of control regarding camera view images and the franchisees refusal to comply with MX Sports demands.

Who's going to blink?

IMO, for the good of the sport Davey don't screw with the core of MX in this country. You'll spend years, with no certainty of ever, recovering if this happens. They maybe wrong and you maybe right but who cares if the whole house collapses.
|
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
3/24/2010 1:27am
I've heard two of the three are good now...but that's not from any official source.
OW38B
Fantasy
148th
3/24/2010 2:08am
Is this like an early "April Fools Day" joke or what?
Whitey
3/24/2010 2:28am
Doesnt sound good for all involved.

Pretty sure DC will chime in and give some input.
G Force
3/24/2010 3:36am
2010?

The Shop

SRP33
3/24/2010 5:09am
I just read that on MXA web site that is interesting
cant see how tv right and camera spots have anything to do with it.
wonder if FIM has any in put to this I am sure they do not like MXA well if it does happen it would suck for sure
swizcore
3/24/2010 5:40am
Im confident that DC will, as usual, do whats best for the long term advancement of the sport.
DC
3/24/2010 5:41am
That's honestly ridiculous, WORCSracer. Someone is out there spreading some doom and gloom... The only real issues are over length of contract extension and some general improvements with one facility; hopefully it will be resolved soon.

MX Sports is fully committed to motocross on the west coast and specifically in Southern California. See you May 22 at Hangtown.

DC
MX Sports
SRP33
3/24/2010 5:51am
thank you for clairifying that up
Shenzi
Fantasy
1267th
3/24/2010 5:57am
"TV and camera spots", LOL
flarider
3/24/2010 6:25am
Damn that Obama!
3/24/2010 6:35am
swizcore wrote:
Im confident that DC will, as usual, do whats best for the long term advancement of the sport.
x2
I was glad when DC took over, because he wants to advance the sport , instead of lining his pockets..
newmann
3/24/2010 7:08am
Damned octopus..........Smile I'll bet TFS could clear all this up.
stumpjumper
3/24/2010 7:23am
Davey has already made big improvements and will get better! Gotta love rumors!
WORCSRacer
3/24/2010 7:49am
DC wrote:
That's honestly ridiculous, WORCSracer. Someone is out there spreading some doom and gloom... The only real issues are over length of contract extension and some general...
That's honestly ridiculous, WORCSracer. Someone is out there spreading some doom and gloom... The only real issues are over length of contract extension and some general improvements with one facility; hopefully it will be resolved soon.

MX Sports is fully committed to motocross on the west coast and specifically in Southern California. See you May 22 at Hangtown.

DC
MX Sports
Glad you're moving toward resolution. You've done a fantastic job so far and you continue to push forward given a very tough economic climate. Maybe it's just a 661 bias but it didn't sound alll that good Sunday. Hope it all works out.
jasonv43
3/24/2010 7:55am
Pow Pow!!!
jbomx363
3/24/2010 7:59am
WORCSRacer wrote:
Glad you're moving toward resolution. You've done a fantastic job so far and you continue to push forward given a very tough economic climate. Maybe it's...
Glad you're moving toward resolution. You've done a fantastic job so far and you continue to push forward given a very tough economic climate. Maybe it's just a 661 bias but it didn't sound alll that good Sunday. Hope it all works out.
So what happened to all of your accusations.. from the street??
WORCSRacer
3/24/2010 7:59am Edited Date/Time 3/24/2010 8:04am
Shenzi wrote:
"TV and camera spots", LOL
Maybe you wouldn't be laughing if you had to help pay for the TV package and take down the

track sponsors signs that help pay the bills when the circus is not in town.
Not saying that MX Sports is wrong to ask this but it is an issue and it is expensive.
moto314
3/24/2010 8:04am
All I know is Glen Helen is fan friendly, race team friendly, and racer friendly, can't see what improvements could possible needed? Have you been to Hangtown? And besides, who cares about all that, if the track is the best outdoor track in the country! I like riding at Pala, but come on, it's no national caliber track, we already have plenty of supercross races in So-Cal, there are so many other tracks that would be better.
Shenzi
Fantasy
1267th
3/24/2010 8:31am
WORCSRacer wrote:
Maybe you wouldn't be laughing if you had to help pay for the TV package and take down the track sponsors signs that help pay the...
Maybe you wouldn't be laughing if you had to help pay for the TV package and take down the

Not saying that MX Sports is wrong to ask this but it is an issue and it is expensive.
It is pretty standard in any sport, be it French soccer league or SX or any other major series (like F1) that not all local sponsors are represented on series/league day when the stadium/track/tennis court is rented by a series promoter. Priority for real-estate is always given to the series sponsors.

As far as the Pala rumor, there's not even a National track built there yet. But if it comes to that and if rumors are confirmed, I am sure that Pala is not lacking any funds and would get it done on time.

I would be really surprised if MX Sports was asking more than $40K to host a National race, knowing that the overhead on that weekend is pretty high for the track owners.

Trip
3/24/2010 8:46am
WORCSRacer wrote:
Maybe you wouldn't be laughing if you had to help pay for the TV package and take down the track sponsors signs that help pay the...

Shenzi wrote:
It is pretty standard in any sport, be it French soccer league or SX or any other major series (like F1) that not all local sponsors...
It is pretty standard in any sport, be it French soccer league or SX or any other major series (like F1) that not all local sponsors are represented on series/league day when the stadium/track/tennis court is rented by a series promoter. Priority for real-estate is always given to the series sponsors.

As far as the Pala rumor, there's not even a National track built there yet. But if it comes to that and if rumors are confirmed, I am sure that Pala is not lacking any funds and would get it done on time.

I would be really surprised if MX Sports was asking more than $40K to host a National race, knowing that the overhead on that weekend is pretty high for the track owners.

: It is pretty standard in any sport, be it French soccer league or SX or any other major series (like F1) that not all local sponsors are represented on series/league day when the stadium/track/tennis court is rented by a series promoter.

Are the outdoor tracks "rented" by the promoter?? I thought the facility had to pay the promoter to be there??
Shenzi
Fantasy
1267th
3/24/2010 9:15am
Trip wrote:
: It is pretty standard in any sport, be it French soccer league or SX or any other major series (like F1) that not all local...
: It is pretty standard in any sport, be it French soccer league or SX or any other major series (like F1) that not all local sponsors are represented on series/league day when the stadium/track/tennis court is rented by a series promoter.

Are the outdoor tracks "rented" by the promoter?? I thought the facility had to pay the promoter to be there??
like in MotoGP, WSBK, F1, WRC, MXGP, the tracks pay a fee to the promoters to hold the race which come with certain criteria as far as standard of the facilities and advertisers specifications.
EmDub425
3/24/2010 9:20am
If any one of those three needs improvements it's Washougal. As pretty as that place is to look at , what they offer for facilities does not meet a lot of peoples needs. They only have 1 actual restroom on the facility and it is a rundown piece of crap. They need more restroom facilities with showers etc.

And trying to watch the race at the national, what a joke. Unless you get a spot on the hill you can only see about 100 feet of the track from any given viewing point. Also, the track is extremely narrow for a national track. So out of GH, Hangtown and Washougal if I had to guess which one needed improvements I'd put my money on Washougal.
yota
3/24/2010 9:21am
DC please keep pushing on parity for 2 strokes. I know you're trying...
3/24/2010 9:27am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 9:37pm
regardless of what happens, imo, DC is the best thing that ever happened to MX in america for 1 reason alone... he gives a shit about it!

Hes not doing this to make a fortune.
Hes not doing this to be the octopus.
Hes not doing this to be an empire.

Hes doing this for his love, like ours, of the sport. Best of all, he can be trusted, and with that trust, sometimes you have to do something thats "not like it used to be" to take a step forward. Change. Not change for the sake of change, change to make something better.

When people gripe about change, and are upset because "thats not the way its been done".... if the old way was so great why are we still so small? If the old way was so great, why havent things steadily gotten better for the last 30 years.

Everyone went nuts about Saturday races, OMG, you are ruining, tradition..... name the last time in the last 30 years that MX was live on tv.

Everyone went nuts about smaller side numbers, OMG, you are ruining, tradition.... making a move to give sponsors signage on the bike equals happier sponsors equals the chance for more sponsors because mixed with TV, where all sponsors want to be, and more acreage for that sponsors logo, better return on investment in a sponsors eyes means more money to pay for our teams and riders.

Dont care if while at the track you have a hard time seeing the number as they go by.... people at the track are us, hardcore, core, enthusiasts. You want more of those? You have to bring the sport to someone that wouldnt go out to a race.............. john q public. How? you put it on the boob tube in his face on a saturday. Now all of a sudden he catches 1 show by accident. Next week, he wonders, are those motorcycle guys on this week.... next thing you know hes standing next to you along the fence, the sport just grew.

do what you have to do DC.
DanDunes818
3/24/2010 9:27am
EmDub425 wrote:
If any one of those three needs improvements it's Washougal. As pretty as that place is to look at , what they offer for facilities does...
If any one of those three needs improvements it's Washougal. As pretty as that place is to look at , what they offer for facilities does not meet a lot of peoples needs. They only have 1 actual restroom on the facility and it is a rundown piece of crap. They need more restroom facilities with showers etc.

And trying to watch the race at the national, what a joke. Unless you get a spot on the hill you can only see about 100 feet of the track from any given viewing point. Also, the track is extremely narrow for a national track. So out of GH, Hangtown and Washougal if I had to guess which one needed improvements I'd put my money on Washougal.
I'm sure the one track DC is talking about is GH.. Emdub If we lose Washougal we're not getting a national at a different location in the NW so stfu. Washougals facilities are fine. It's not the ramamda inn. If you want showers go stay at a hotel.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
3/24/2010 9:33am
It sounds like there may be some news on this by this afternoon.
Racer111
3/24/2010 9:37am Edited Date/Time 3/24/2010 9:37am
I'm sure the one track DC is talking about is GH.. Emdub If we lose Washougal we're not getting a national at a different location in...
I'm sure the one track DC is talking about is GH.. Emdub If we lose Washougal we're not getting a national at a different location in the NW so stfu. Washougals facilities are fine. It's not the ramamda inn. If you want showers go stay at a hotel.
You're wrong! Have you been to any other National tracks aside from Washougal to compare facilities? Washougal is the OBVIOUS choice here.
flarider
3/24/2010 9:40am
GuyB wrote:
WAIT!!

THE PEOPLE AREN'T DONE TRASHING DC AND MX SPORTS YET!!

WORCSRacer
3/24/2010 9:51am
GuyB wrote:
flarider wrote:
WAIT!!

THE PEOPLE AREN'T DONE TRASHING DC AND MX SPORTS YET!!

Who's trashing DC?
Trip
3/24/2010 9:52am
regardless of what happens, imo, DC is the best thing that ever happened to MX in america for 1 reason alone... he gives a shit about...
regardless of what happens, imo, DC is the best thing that ever happened to MX in america for 1 reason alone... he gives a shit about it!

Hes not doing this to make a fortune.
Hes not doing this to be the octopus.
Hes not doing this to be an empire.

Hes doing this for his love, like ours, of the sport. Best of all, he can be trusted, and with that trust, sometimes you have to do something thats "not like it used to be" to take a step forward. Change. Not change for the sake of change, change to make something better.

When people gripe about change, and are upset because "thats not the way its been done".... if the old way was so great why are we still so small? If the old way was so great, why havent things steadily gotten better for the last 30 years.

Everyone went nuts about Saturday races, OMG, you are ruining, tradition..... name the last time in the last 30 years that MX was live on tv.

Everyone went nuts about smaller side numbers, OMG, you are ruining, tradition.... making a move to give sponsors signage on the bike equals happier sponsors equals the chance for more sponsors because mixed with TV, where all sponsors want to be, and more acreage for that sponsors logo, better return on investment in a sponsors eyes means more money to pay for our teams and riders.

Dont care if while at the track you have a hard time seeing the number as they go by.... people at the track are us, hardcore, core, enthusiasts. You want more of those? You have to bring the sport to someone that wouldnt go out to a race.............. john q public. How? you put it on the boob tube in his face on a saturday. Now all of a sudden he catches 1 show by accident. Next week, he wonders, are those motorcycle guys on this week.... next thing you know hes standing next to you along the fence, the sport just grew.

do what you have to do DC.
If it was only that easy...

So far it seems all the changes last year haven't really made a difference..

So Saturday races is going to change everything?? Just curious is there more people at home on a Saturday watching TV than on a Sunday??? There is a reason the NFL and NASCAR are on Sundays..

Sounds great!!! Just curious how many more sponsors came in cause they could get a logo on a side number plate?? How many sponsors left in the past cause they wanted that side number plate to put a sticker? I like the smaller numbers, but really feel it's not going to make a difference..Have you seen how small the side plates are getting?? Even with smaller numbers, not much room to put a logo. Didn't Honda run the old style big numbers last year???

Well sounds like you have it all figured out. Our sport is never going to be bigger than it is. It's outdoors, in the dirt. Do we take the dirt out to make it more fan friendly and not so dirty??? MX isn't for everyone.

Post a reply to: MX Sports and a game of chicken...

The Latest