MX SPORTS

Grieby54
11/29/2012 1:12pm
burn1986 wrote:
I think this is a little different. The elimination of 2-strokes was a monumental shift in the sport, with more poeple involved than just a handful...
I think this is a little different. The elimination of 2-strokes was a monumental shift in the sport, with more poeple involved than just a handful. Seems kind of odd, that comments about them are shot down so quickly, when they really do no harm at all.

Pretty soon it won't matter, though. Since the races are becoming tighter an tighter on funds, it will soon morph into the Luongo format - 250s and 450s together in 2 motos.
Harmless, yes. Annoying and stupid, but harmless indeed.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
11/29/2012 2:22pm
Well a little late to the party, i saw about first page someone asking why they didn't add LL, mammoth ect to the women's schedule. At Elsinore during rider's meeting i remember DC throwing around some ideas and it is true almost all the girls present shot down the idea of doing any rounds in conjunction with the amateur nationals or any round that wasn't involved with current ama nationals. DC you might want to get a restraining order, Mark is getting kinda obsessive...
Mr. Info
11/29/2012 4:34pm
ML512 you right I am obsessive. About the truth. But you know what, someone is lying. But who really fucking cares, not me. If he is accusing me of slander he can take me to court. I have heard people say on here Bud did not honor a contract, a legal matter that should of went to court, if I was running a show and someone had a contract with me in writing I would have made them pay. If Davey says he is telling the truth as you all see it then I guess he is. And then there is no point to go on any farther on it. Take it easy and see you at the track.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
11/29/2012 4:42pm Edited Date/Time 11/29/2012 4:43pm
adub274 wrote:
I think if all you can do on pro day at the MX nationals is 3 rounds than that is that but if you own the...
I think if all you can do on pro day at the MX nationals is 3 rounds than that is that but if you own the WMX give them a series withthe other rounds filled in with other big venue races . WMA cup maybe some rounds of their own at tracks like Glen Helen , Thunder valley on different days . Sounds like all the girls won't agree to this . 2-3 options should be presented and let the girls vote on what way they want it .
The girls dont have much bargaining power but its sounds like they think they are a bigger deal then they really are. If they dont like it they dont need to race at the three races they do have. But I do want to see them at the Enduro-X at the X games , pure comedy Evil

The Shop

JBlain619
11/29/2012 5:38pm
DC wrote:
Sorry, adub274, I was the one who came up with the idea of incorporating the big amateur events like Mammoth and Loretta Lynn's and Ponca into...
Sorry, adub274, I was the one who came up with the idea of incorporating the big amateur events like Mammoth and Loretta Lynn's and Ponca into a series and the vast majority of WMX girls I spoke to and exchanged emails with did not want to go that route as part of a series... We can't go back to two-day programs, and the girls did not want to race on Sundays either, which is all understandable.

But we are expanding the live TV package for the 450 and 250 classes and that severely limits the amount of time in the day for a quality set of motos at the other rounds for WMX, let alone all of the time needed for track maintenance, sighting laps, podiums, moving equipment and people around, etc.

I searched for better ideas, offered some of my own, looked for sponsors and I came up short. If you have a better idea, please let me know: DC@mxsports.com

DC
MX Sports
Does this effectively dispel the rumor of the Vet class during the Nationals?
Tbteam
11/29/2012 6:46pm
mxcat62 wrote:
ATV pro mx has a 10 round national series that races at many of the same tracks as the mx nationals. They also have a tv...
ATV pro mx has a 10 round national series that races at many of the same tracks as the mx nationals. They also have a tv package (racertv) shown on NBCSP. Maybe they should look into being a part of that series. Sure they are going to get to race on smoother tracks with the dirt brushed off, but if they want to race it's worth looking into.
adub274 wrote:
I think if all you can do on pro day at the MX nationals is 3 rounds than that is that but if you own the...
I think if all you can do on pro day at the MX nationals is 3 rounds than that is that but if you own the WMX give them a series withthe other rounds filled in with other big venue races . WMA cup maybe some rounds of their own at tracks like Glen Helen , Thunder valley on different days . Sounds like all the girls won't agree to this . 2-3 options should be presented and let the girls vote on what way they want it .
So, rather than cancel the women's series because they have no interest in racing three rounds, the women should be presented with 2 or 3 options that are more to their liking. And the promoters should use their own money in an obviously losing proposition.

I'm pretty sure that's not gonna happen.
exsarg
11/29/2012 10:13pm
2 words--------------- bikini race
Braaap14
11/30/2012 2:33am
So many more sandwiches will be made this way. Its for the best.
jmx411
11/30/2012 8:21am
Women quit complaining and go make me a sandwich and iron my shirt.
Bellone
11/30/2012 8:44am
WMX is boring. Glad to see it go, they should try to make it in the 450 or 250 mens class.
hammertime
11/30/2012 9:05am
Mr. Info wrote:
FTE your right, you sure your not Davey Coombs under a different name. If not then Great Minds think alike. If your not Davey you must...
FTE your right, you sure your not Davey Coombs under a different name. If not then Great Minds think alike. If your not Davey you must be real important. And FTE its not about making money anymore because ask each track the simple question who made money last year. If your Davey and using a different name you know who. Ask Hangtown, ask Colorado, ask Texas, ask Elsinore, ask them all. Wait there I go lying again I have this bad habit. Every track made their money back and more. Jim was right on the money when he discribed you. Are you sure your not a goverment offical. You can't wait for the Bullet Train and voted for higher taxes. You have no heart for the sport anymore. Women kicked out or what next kick out the kids from racing also, and maybe the Vets because they need to grow up and be adults. Its only a sport and everyone has the right to play until someone takes their ball and goes home so know one can.
Look, simpleton, I'm not Davey. The tracks attract nobody unless the series is run in such a way that the best talent ~ not WMX, the...
Look, simpleton, I'm not Davey. The tracks attract nobody unless the series is run in such a way that the best talent ~ not WMX, the best talent ~ can take the sport to sponsors and sell them a program that will fund their racing. If that doesn't happen, the tracks have nothing on pro race day.

You're entitled to think that WMX is why 95% of the fans come to a pro race, and that cutting it will take away your gate in a big way. I think you're wrong. But your "is that you Davey posting under a different name" nonsense doesn't just make you wrong, it makes you a kook as well.
i'll add to that as nicely as i can...next to nobody cares about womans mx! if you want to see that kind of talent, go to your local track and stare at a 13th place 250 int rider. i don't want to see that. the networks and sponsors aren't stupid. when the girls hit the track it's just a good excuse for a piss and a hot dog. solid move!!!
Law 131
11/30/2012 9:24am Edited Date/Time 11/30/2012 9:26am
Let's go back to the way it was.

Girls on the podium and off the track.

LGmoto32
12/4/2012 3:44pm
I appreciate that there was a proposal to lengthen the WMX series by incorporating some of the amateur nationals into it; however, I'd like to point out a couple quick reasons why the women racing the series, and women racers in general, are or should be against it.

First of all, we are talking about professional women racing amateur nationals. If the women go back to racing amateur races, what makes it so special and worth while to become a professional racer? There must be some distinction in women's motocross between the amateurs and the professionals. One solution, create a Pro Women's class at Loretta's and any other amateur national that would be in this series, that way there is still a raison d'être for professional women--something that makes their work and accomplishments recognizable. In the past, I have heard there is simply, "not enough time" in the schedules at the amateur nationals to make this happen, if that is the case than it is certainly something that needs to be addressed and I'm sure there would be a way to make up the time in order for this to happen if it is planned far enough in advanced.

Another implication of incorporating the WMX series into some of the amateur nationals is the potential for it to hurt the future of women's motocross. In order to go pro, up and coming women have to race these amateur nationals and do well in order to obtain professional status. While some women would be thrilled at the opportunity to race against the pros, when you're racing against pros to become a pro, it makes for a pretty daunting and intimidating task. Many girls may not think that they have a chance to win or to even get top ten at an amateur national because there are ten to twenty PROFESSIONAL racers on the line with them. The men do not have to race against pros to get their pro license and if they had to race RV, RD, CR, JS, and the like, i'm sure there would be protests. Again, if there is a Women's pro class added to these schedules, the problem can be averted and there will still be plenty of room on the line to foster a new generation of professional women racers.

Women's motocross is still relatively new, it needs to be nurtured. By lining the professional women up alongside the amateurs it does just the opposite and could discourage the progress that has been made. No matter what the argument is against women racing--and women racing professional motocross--it is literally half of the market. If encouraged, promoted, and marketed correctly, women's racing has the potential to double the size of our motocross family and to help our sport grow! Not just in participation but also in audience and monetarily. Women need bikes, women need gear, women need parts, women still pay to ride...its an opportunity that I think a lot of the industry is still missing.

Thank you.
ShSPiRiT
12/4/2012 3:57pm
If we have to suffer through the nightmare that is women's basketball why not motocross? Riding is for EVERYONE. We should be trying to further the sport not exclude people. Only a pig-headed feminine product used on a summer's eve and the bag it came in would try and keep the women out. Or...perhaps....they just don't like that there are girls that ride better than they do....Either way, keep roostin chicas!
Tbteam
12/4/2012 7:47pm
It has been said already. If the sport of pro women's MX is viable and a strong money making venture, then there will be promoters lining up to take the reigns of a national series.

So far, no one is lining up.
SunComfort
12/4/2012 8:05pm
ShSPiRiT wrote:
If we have to suffer through the nightmare that is women's basketball why not motocross? Riding is for EVERYONE. We should be trying to further the...
If we have to suffer through the nightmare that is women's basketball why not motocross? Riding is for EVERYONE. We should be trying to further the sport not exclude people. Only a pig-headed feminine product used on a summer's eve and the bag it came in would try and keep the women out. Or...perhaps....they just don't like that there are girls that ride better than they do....Either way, keep roostin chicas!
sounds like yourself and LG Moto have it all figured out.
Now you got the easy part done, time to start on the arduous stuff!
Seriously, mens basketball didnt start the WNBA, women did, wmx
just needs the right people to start their own deal, instead of placing
blame on the mx sports series. Just as usual tho, try to help someone
out, and things are hunky dory, stop helping, and instantly you are a no
good SOB, and never helped a person in your life!
Bauer
12/4/2012 8:38pm
LGmoto32 wrote:
I appreciate that there was a proposal to lengthen the WMX series by incorporating some of the amateur nationals into it; however, I'd like to point...
I appreciate that there was a proposal to lengthen the WMX series by incorporating some of the amateur nationals into it; however, I'd like to point out a couple quick reasons why the women racing the series, and women racers in general, are or should be against it.

First of all, we are talking about professional women racing amateur nationals. If the women go back to racing amateur races, what makes it so special and worth while to become a professional racer? There must be some distinction in women's motocross between the amateurs and the professionals. One solution, create a Pro Women's class at Loretta's and any other amateur national that would be in this series, that way there is still a raison d'être for professional women--something that makes their work and accomplishments recognizable. In the past, I have heard there is simply, "not enough time" in the schedules at the amateur nationals to make this happen, if that is the case than it is certainly something that needs to be addressed and I'm sure there would be a way to make up the time in order for this to happen if it is planned far enough in advanced.

Another implication of incorporating the WMX series into some of the amateur nationals is the potential for it to hurt the future of women's motocross. In order to go pro, up and coming women have to race these amateur nationals and do well in order to obtain professional status. While some women would be thrilled at the opportunity to race against the pros, when you're racing against pros to become a pro, it makes for a pretty daunting and intimidating task. Many girls may not think that they have a chance to win or to even get top ten at an amateur national because there are ten to twenty PROFESSIONAL racers on the line with them. The men do not have to race against pros to get their pro license and if they had to race RV, RD, CR, JS, and the like, i'm sure there would be protests. Again, if there is a Women's pro class added to these schedules, the problem can be averted and there will still be plenty of room on the line to foster a new generation of professional women racers.

Women's motocross is still relatively new, it needs to be nurtured. By lining the professional women up alongside the amateurs it does just the opposite and could discourage the progress that has been made. No matter what the argument is against women racing--and women racing professional motocross--it is literally half of the market. If encouraged, promoted, and marketed correctly, women's racing has the potential to double the size of our motocross family and to help our sport grow! Not just in participation but also in audience and monetarily. Women need bikes, women need gear, women need parts, women still pay to ride...its an opportunity that I think a lot of the industry is still missing.

Thank you.
...women are "literally half the market"??? So, because women comprise half of the population, you're saying they represent half of the dirt bike market? That's absurd.

For one thing, to be half the market they would have to be in the market...as in, "in the market for bikes and/or products".

I like women racers, but I don't typically watch their motos. Davey knows what he's doing...
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
12/5/2012 12:30am Edited Date/Time 12/5/2012 12:32am
LGmoto32 wrote:
I appreciate that there was a proposal to lengthen the WMX series by incorporating some of the amateur nationals into it; however, I'd like to point...

Thank you.
WoohooWoohooWoohooWoohooWoohooWoohooWoohooWoohooWoohooWoohoo
Sorry but WMX has peaked and its all down hill from here, there is no furture for WMX.
DC
12/5/2012 5:32am
LGMoto32 and ShSpirit, those are some good points (though I do agree with Bauer that women do not comprise half the market because they are half the population, though it is growing...). I discussed a "WMX" class at Loretta Lynn's and the other events as part of the solution -- a stand-alone class for the women of this caliber that wanted to participate.

But here's the sticking point, and it's my own opinion: I do not believe that all WMX racers are full-on pro, though a few at the top do race for their living. The rest are Pro-Am, in the sense that when you line up against the men, most women race in the B class and not the full-on pro class. By definition, that's a Pro-Am rider. And while that may seem like a small issue, it's big when the rank-and-file say they do not want to race in anything but the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship because every other big outdoor race is amateur or pro-am. This limits the growth of women's professional motocross to this series, which has severe time constraints.

If anyone has a better idea or solution, I would be glad to listen/help/participate. DC@mxsports.com

DC
MX Sports
Grieby54
12/5/2012 6:19am
LGmoto32 wrote:

Thank you.
I'm in full support of women racing. That being said, no. No, women are not even remotely close to half of the market. Saying that MX is supported both men and women equally is like saying that Twilight has as many male readers as female just because that's half the earth's population. Sure, you'll get a couple of guys that are interested in it, but that's certainly not the target demographic. In general, there are things that men tend to be interested in, and things that women tend to be interested in. In general, men are not going to be interested in Twilight, and women are not going to be interested in motocross. This is a truth that can be seen in the support that women's basketball or hockey or any other sport gets in comparison to the equivalent male's sport. It's just not even close.

When I'm at the race, I'll watch the women's class race, but I'd never go out of my way to watch them. If I wanted to watch a C class level rider (I'd say the top 5 are a decent B class speed), I could do that any time I'm out at the track. When I turn on the TV to watch racing, I want to see just how fast a human can ride a motorcycle.

Long story short, you are severely overestimating your gender's piece of the motocross pie - I can guarantee you that women will never make up more than 15% of the core fan-base. Either take what you can get to continue to "grow your side of the sport" by being forced in front of everyone by being a halftime to the real show, or go start your own series and see how that goes for you. I really do wish you guys the best of luck though - I know you all work very hard.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
12/5/2012 7:20am
It seems to me it got a lot of nurturing and opportunity. Perhaps the biggest problem is that even with that, the level of competitiveness has regressed to two top riders, one of whom apparently was the face of the sport to the general non-moto pubic and has retired, with a one or two other riders poking a wheel in now and then. The racing was a lot more interesting earlier on in the mid 2000's than it's been the last two seasons.

Raceday resources are finite and precious. Women's pro racing is a terrific goal, but the notion that any tweaks or changes to promoting the premiere 250 and 450 classes ought to be subordinated to it is seriously misguided.
Law 131
12/5/2012 7:47am
I can appreciate, understand and support the necessity to pay homage to the
concept of women's racing.

Any sanctioning body that will not create some sort of outlet for a women's division
will be crucified in the current popular culture.

The Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship played host to the WMX.
It's obvious to me that is was a financial flop.

The majority of fans have rejected this blasphemy (did he really use that word?) on
a day that is the showpiece of all of Moto.

The girls must prove that they can run with the men in order to have any chance to gain the
respect required to be taken seriously.

I am going to say something that is very unpopular in today's culture.

There are many things that women are world class at.

Motocross is not one of those things.
LGmoto32
12/5/2012 8:46am
LGmoto32 wrote:

Thank you.
Bauer wrote:
...women are "literally half the market"??? So, because women comprise half of the population, you're saying they represent half of the dirt bike market? That's absurd...
...women are "literally half the market"??? So, because women comprise half of the population, you're saying they represent half of the dirt bike market? That's absurd.

For one thing, to be half the market they would have to be in the market...as in, "in the market for bikes and/or products".

I like women racers, but I don't typically watch their motos. Davey knows what he's doing...
If you read the entire sentence I wrote...instead of stopping at my proposition, you would see that I said, "it is literally half of the market. If encouraged, promoted, and marketed correctly, women's racing has the potential to double the size of our motocross family...." My point it, WMX is young, it needs to be nurtured. No, it isn't half of the market in its present state, largely because of the short-sightedness of many within the industry, but it has the potential to become half of the market.

Look at those who said women couldn't become educated--women used to be kept out of colleges and universities and professional workplaces...now they constitute the majority in our educational system and are doing the same within professions in a variety of areas. Women can do whatever they put their minds, hearts, and souls into but they must be first given the opportunity.
LGmoto32
12/5/2012 8:54am
DC wrote:
LGMoto32 and ShSpirit, those are some good points (though I do agree with Bauer that women do not comprise half the market because they are half...
LGMoto32 and ShSpirit, those are some good points (though I do agree with Bauer that women do not comprise half the market because they are half the population, though it is growing...). I discussed a "WMX" class at Loretta Lynn's and the other events as part of the solution -- a stand-alone class for the women of this caliber that wanted to participate.

But here's the sticking point, and it's my own opinion: I do not believe that all WMX racers are full-on pro, though a few at the top do race for their living. The rest are Pro-Am, in the sense that when you line up against the men, most women race in the B class and not the full-on pro class. By definition, that's a Pro-Am rider. And while that may seem like a small issue, it's big when the rank-and-file say they do not want to race in anything but the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship because every other big outdoor race is amateur or pro-am. This limits the growth of women's professional motocross to this series, which has severe time constraints.

If anyone has a better idea or solution, I would be glad to listen/help/participate. DC@mxsports.com

DC
MX Sports
DC, I really do understand what you're saying regarding most professional women races being by definition Pro-Am riders; however, they have no other outlet at this point to race in. If a separate class would be created at the Amateur nationals I think it would truly help to foster the sport for women. Also, please see my reply to Bauer regarding women representing half of the market. I think once a distinct class for professional women is created there will be less grumbling among the women to a schedule like you had previously proposed...but first they need a guarantee that those classes will be there. As I mentioned before, they have been told that there isn't enough time for a women's pro class at these amateur nationals....if there is and the women can be guaranteed that I believe it would be a huge step in the right direction for WMX; however, if the pros are relegated to racing against the amateurs it will only continue to stunt the growth of women in the sport.
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4254th
12/5/2012 9:08am
In the spirit of honest dialog, because I'd like to see any and all forms of motorcycle racing thrive, what are the specific nurturing steps that would enable WMX to reach the critical mass you're talking about? Nurturing is one of those generalities that can hides a legion of devils in the details when it comes to specifics.

A lot of money, attention and support went into WMX in the last ten+ years, including the best possible exposure in being presented on race day during the nationals, with TV for some of that, but in spite of that it became less competitive, with a bigger gap between the people running at the front and the rear, and small fields. And, as happens even with the fastest local pro, the speed pales by comparison to the premiere classes, so they sometimes end up look a lot less impressive than they really are.

Is it possible that a WMX series at the pro outdoors was premature if most riders really are pro am?
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
12/5/2012 9:14am Edited Date/Time 12/5/2012 9:15am
Even though i wasn't thrilled about the WMX, I am sad to see it go. Since time and money is becoming a problem, why not get ahead of the curve and use the Guiseppe formula - one 250 and one 450 moto, and one combined moto for the win? Then you could open up a slot for something else like WMX or 125s or whatever.
Canadad
12/5/2012 10:02am
So nobody cares about womens motocross..............really?

The way i see it, it is the only growing segment in our sport. Several years ago my daugther would be the only one on the line for a race, now you can guarantee a line of 20+ riders, pretty decent growth to me. Just about every other class has declined in that same period. DC perhaps you have some data you can share on this, I am just going by what I see at the track.

"The average MX fan does not want to watch WMX"............your missing the point.........the definition of the average MX fan is changing and is including the female gender at an alarming rate.

Sponsors want exposure and the 250 and 450 classes are where all the interest is right? So that would mean the current 250MX champion should garner all the interest over the current WMX champion Ashley Fiolek? Interesting how Ashley has more than twice as many followers on twitter as Baggett. Yes it's true, twice as many people are interested in what Ashley has to say than Blake. AC92 is the new marketing machine you say....29,808 followers vs Ashley's 41,877. Yes we can argue that the depth of following is much less for WMX but the fact that Ashley is in the same company as Trey Canard (44,924) and Justin Barcia (43,215) is impressive. We need to capitalize on this not kill it!

DC, I realize this is a very difficult issue to resolve and you face real finanacial and logistical hurdles in trying economic times but don't forget that this segment IS growing in our sport right now and the industry is in desperate need of new growth and new opportunity.

Post a reply to: MX SPORTS

The Latest