MX During College?

Bressler11
Edited Date/Time 5/16/2016 7:11am
Okay so heres the big question... What to do with your bikes while at college?

I graduate Highschool in 2016 and plan on pursuing a mechanical engineering degree. What did some of you do? I don't know how my roommate would feel with a 450 stuffed in the dorm.Tongue
|
hvaughn88
6/24/2015 7:19am
Bressler11 wrote:
Okay so heres the big question... What to do with your bikes while at college? I graduate Highschool in 2016 and plan on pursuing a mechanical...

I graduate Highschool in 2016 and plan on pursuing a mechanical engineering degree. What did some of you do? I don't know how my roommate would feel with a 450 stuffed in the dorm.Tongue
Sell it. Focus on school.
Panic_Rev
6/24/2015 7:21am
Purchased a house, rented the other rooms to pay the mortgage, and stored the bike in the garage.
Bressler11
6/24/2015 7:23am
Bressler11 wrote:
Okay so heres the big question... What to do with your bikes while at college? I graduate Highschool in 2016 and plan on pursuing a mechanical...

hvaughn88 wrote:
Ouch
Dtat720
6/24/2015 7:25am
Josh Cartwright... Making SX mains while fulltime at Florida State pursuing an engineering degree. I kept mine at Auburn U while going through architecture. Time management is your friend. Beer, well...

The Shop

hvaughn88
6/24/2015 7:27am Edited Date/Time 6/24/2015 7:38am
Bressler11 wrote:

hvaughn88 wrote:
Bressler11 wrote:
Ouch
hahaha, i'm only being sort of serious. sort of.

In all seriousness, if moto is a really important part of your life then of course, find a way to keep at it. If you can do without, then it won't kill you to put it on the back burner for 4 years. It's crazy how fast 4 years of college passes by. Not to get too off topic here, but I definitely recommend getting involved on campus when you are there. Get involved in something. It's ultra competitive coming out of college now and the GPA is only part of the equation.

Good luck with this chapter of your life and enjoy it!
Bressler11
6/24/2015 7:30am
I have a half clapped out motovan, its my daily driver. I don't think it will still be alive through college, My dads 2008 nisan titan will be payed off so that may be a possibility for a vehicle.

oh and I'm considering Rutgers University by the way
h&m_cycle
6/24/2015 7:30am
I would sell it & focus on school also... Soon you will have the $$$ to buy a new 2 stroke every year...

tprice07
6/24/2015 7:34am
Bressler11 wrote:

hvaughn88 wrote:
I kind of agree. Here is the thing. You won't have that much time to ride it in the next 4 years. Meanwhile your bike will be depreciating in value each year even though you put maybe 1 or 2 hours on it. You will be losing money every year that you keep that bike, essentially. Once you are done with school and get a full time, high paying engineering job, you can go to the local dealer and pick up a new bike :-)

Plus walking around campus on crutches sucks....
Dissident
6/24/2015 7:34am Edited Date/Time 6/24/2015 7:35am
if you're a genius you can probably balance the two

most likely you aren't and you'll either spend your whole life studying to get a M.E degree or drop out and switch to business

not trying to be a dick but are you sure you're smart enough to get a mechanical engineering degree?

most of the "moto" people i've met weren't the brightest bulbs out there.. lol
Bressler11
6/24/2015 7:35am
NewBrunswick, Nj (Rutgers) has a whole slew of decent tracks that are pretty close, English town, speed citi, Snakecreek.
DPR250R
6/24/2015 7:36am Edited Date/Time 6/24/2015 8:04am
Leave it at your parents hous and ride while on break. While at school... Focus on school.

I commuted and paid my own way. I worked part time, rode and attended school. Some days I was practicing in the morning and at school on the afternoon.

Was fun but ai missed out on some of the normal crazy times that college can bring.

Typed on iPhone... Sry for errs
ChrisB10
6/24/2015 7:37am Edited Date/Time 6/24/2015 7:39am
Dude if you're going for M.E. you won't have time. Leave it at home and ride during your breaks.
Bressler11
6/24/2015 7:38am
Dissident wrote:
if you're a genius you can probably balance the two most likely you aren't and you'll either spend your whole life studying to get a M.E...

most likely you aren't and you'll either spend your whole life studying to get a M.E degree or drop out and switch to business

not trying to be a dick but are you sure you're smart enough to get a mechanical engineering degree?

I'm pretty smart but basically what you stated is the plan, try for the engineering degree and hey if I can't do it back it down to business degree. But why not try for something better? Thats my logic at least... but hey I'm 17, I know everything right?Woohoo
Starcrossed
6/24/2015 7:40am
You'll meet some new mx friends at school. I kept mine at a guy's house who had the same major as me and lived near the campus . He also had his own private track and tons of tools & equipment, so it worked out well. Great way to get some relief from the grind of an engineering degree. We always prepared for our exams, and found time to work on and ride our bikes.
k-bull98
6/24/2015 7:40am Edited Date/Time 6/24/2015 7:42am
Bressler11 wrote:

I went down the same path as you did. I graduated as an ME in 2012. You may be able to ride the first couple of years that you are in college while you go through your more basic GE classes and lower level ME classes. That being said, I would recommend not riding and try and become more active in your schools other programs that relate to ME. One club that I highly recommend joining is the formula SAE team. Its great hands on experience, you learn a lot, make a lot of friends that will become connections within the industry (very important in getting a job right out of school), and it also forces you to get outside funding/ help from outside companies (again building connections). Once you graduate and get a job, you should have enough time and money to ride as much as you please.

Edit: That being said you can still find time to ride during the breaks between semesters/ quarters.
71Fish
6/24/2015 7:46am
Bressler11 wrote:

Do you have a better chance at making a living at MX or engineering? Answer that and you have your answer.
IWreckALot
6/24/2015 7:48am
Dissident wrote:
if you're a genius you can probably balance the two most likely you aren't and you'll either spend your whole life studying to get a M.E...

Bressler11 wrote:
I'm pretty smart but basically what you stated is the plan, try for the engineering degree and hey if I can't do it back it down...
I'm pretty smart but basically what you stated is the plan, try for the engineering degree and hey if I can't do it back it down to business degree. But why not try for something better? Thats my logic at least... but hey I'm 17, I know everything right?Woohoo
Don't let some Joe Dick tell you that you're not smart enough. And college isn't ALL about learning the content. It's also about learning how the teacher grades and focusing on catering to that degree as well. Some of the classes that don't pertain to my degree, I've just worked the class system because I don't really give a shit about the content. History and English Literature are two great examples. . .
h&m_cycle
6/24/2015 7:57am
71Fish wrote:
Do you have a better chance at making a living at MX or engineering? Answer that and you have your answer.
Boom, we agree on something...
Crush
6/24/2015 7:59am
You'll probably find it hard to ride often during college or even after, BUT, I wouldn't suggest selling it. It might also be tough getting a bike. I bought and sold too many during college and after, it was silly and I wasted cash. Get yourself something you can step onto and have fun without it tiring you out straight away or being an issue because you haven't ridden in a while and have fun–keep it, keep it well and wait till you're set up before you go all crazy spending your first bonus on something new.
jeffro503
6/24/2015 8:05am
I guess it all depends on where you go to school and what the local mx community is like. You might find some local family that is close by which might let you park the bike in some corner. Things like this can be tough though , as yours and their schedules may not always line up. Good luck on your degree kiddo!
Bressler11
6/24/2015 8:06am
Crush wrote:
You'll probably find it hard to ride often during college or even after, BUT, I wouldn't suggest selling it. It might also be tough getting a...
You'll probably find it hard to ride often during college or even after, BUT, I wouldn't suggest selling it. It might also be tough getting a bike. I bought and sold too many during college and after, it was silly and I wasted cash. Get yourself something you can step onto and have fun without it tiring you out straight away or being an issue because you haven't ridden in a while and have fun–keep it, keep it well and wait till you're set up before you go all crazy spending your first bonus on something new.
so a 55Hp 450 with "arm ripping" rekluse torque is a bad idea then?
bader3245
6/24/2015 8:07am
I rode full local schedules while in school for Engineering.

Study during the week, ride on the weekends. It can, and has been done.
Panic_Rev
6/24/2015 8:16am
All the down time at races could be used to catch up on studying.

one poster said to sale the bike because it will just depreciate sitting there even if you put low hours on it. I would throw that out the window. If you are worried about losing $$$ this probably isn't the right sport for you. Keep the big and enjoy it when you can. When you get out of school and land your first job you can sell the depreciated bike and upgrade.
Bressler11
6/24/2015 8:17am
Panic_Rev wrote:
All the down time at races could be used to catch up on studying. one poster said to sale the bike because it will just depreciate...
All the down time at races could be used to catch up on studying.

one poster said to sale the bike because it will just depreciate sitting there even if you put low hours on it. I would throw that out the window. If you are worried about losing $$$ this probably isn't the right sport for you. Keep the big and enjoy it when you can. When you get out of school and land your first job you can sell the depreciated bike and upgrade.
exactly
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
6/24/2015 8:22am
I didn't sell my bikes, I left them back at my parents' house 5 hours away. I could still scratch the itch when needed, but that itch came less and less the longer I was in school. I met new friends and my future Wife, found new hobbies associated with campus life, studied hard and got degrees that really set me up for a secure future. Within a year of graduation/marriage, I took my own money and bought a bike, gear, tools, etc., and hooked back up with my old riding buddies just in time for the +25 class! 5 years total off the bike, but I wouldn't change a thing.
WVUpetro2013
6/24/2015 8:27am
I received a petro eng degree from wvu and there is no way I could have done it having a bike there as a distraction. If you are going to a reputable school and want to get one of the better engineering jobs out of school, I highly reccomend leaving your bike with at your parents and ride when you go home. Riding will be there when you go home and classes are a b**** to retake. Just my 2cents.
WVUpetro2013
6/24/2015 8:29am
GrapeApe wrote:
I didn't sell my bikes, I left them back at my parents' house 5 hours away. I could still scratch the itch when needed, but that...
I didn't sell my bikes, I left them back at my parents' house 5 hours away. I could still scratch the itch when needed, but that itch came less and less the longer I was in school. I met new friends and my future Wife, found new hobbies associated with campus life, studied hard and got degrees that really set me up for a secure future. Within a year of graduation/marriage, I took my own money and bought a bike, gear, tools, etc., and hooked back up with my old riding buddies just in time for the +25 class! 5 years total off the bike, but I wouldn't change a thing.
^100% the same situation as myself.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
6/24/2015 8:33am Edited Date/Time 6/24/2015 8:33am
Considering "Durring" is actually spelled "during", I might recommend focusing on school. Laughing Sorry, I had to do it.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
6/24/2015 8:36am
ML512 wrote:
Considering "Durring" is actually spelled "during", I might recommend focusing on school. Laughing Sorry, I had to do it.
It took every ounce of restraint in me to lay off that softball Laughing
hvaughn88
6/24/2015 8:38am
ML512 wrote:
GrapeApe wrote:
It took every ounce of restraint in me to lay off that softball Laughing
That makes two of us.

Post a reply to: MX During College?

The Latest