MSR Gear

numba1 fan
9/6/2017 1:26pm Edited Date/Time 9/8/2017 5:37am
I dont know if this has been brought up yet but i haven't seen anything mentioned on this but whats going on with MSR gear? They seem to be fading out of Moto completely for some reason. With the change from Star racing to Answer and even Nick Wey changing from a longtime MSR guy to Answer it seems strange. The last couple of years the Off Road guys at Ox Motorsports were still running MSR so it looked to me that maybe they were going to be a more off road focused brand but now even they have changed to Answer gear. Anyone know whats up?
|
Steadman
9/6/2017 1:37pm
Tucker Rocky owns both brands. Maybe someone who works there can chime in here and give us some 411?
ab5772
9/6/2017 1:43pm Edited Date/Time 9/6/2017 1:45pm
I believe MSR is now the off road brand and Answer is moto. Makes sense since Tucker Rocky owns both. They probably want each brand to have its own specific identity instead of having two competing brands that were basically identical.
MT MX
9/6/2017 1:46pm
I thought I read a few years ago (around the time Star switched from MSR to ANSR) that MSR was stepping back from the SX/MX industry and focusing more on the off-road market. ANSR was basically going to fill the void and vice versa. It was never said if it was a Tucker Rocky decision or what.

The Shop

EastFlorida
9/6/2017 1:47pm
I like the new Answer basic look...

Yes, MSR is in all the hare scrambles now and MSR is in the MX... At least locally it seems...
MelonFan123
9/6/2017 1:52pm
I think the switch to off road was a last ditch effort to re-focus the brand. Looks like it didn't work.

the gear market is more competitive now than ever, not a surprise that TR will put all their resources into Answer (I refuse to call it ANSR). I've heard the MSR Hard Parts line does well, my guess is the MSR brand will live on solely in that realm.

A quick glance at social media and MSR hasn't posted since May. Instagram doesn't lie, bros #RIP
Moto Mofo
9/6/2017 1:54pm Edited Date/Time 9/6/2017 1:56pm
They are letting MSR die, unfortunately. My understanding is that they are letting existing stock sell off, and that'll be it. Then they are going to focus solely on Answer (or ANSR... what kind of goofy shit is that?). I was looking at the MSR social media accounts a few weeks ago, and there had been no activity since April or so.
9/6/2017 2:02pm
Not sure if they will be missed or not...I'm an offroad guy and used quite a bit of their stuff.
Tried to replace my chest protector a few months back and could not find the MSR...went with a Thor instead.
numba1 fan
9/6/2017 2:12pm
Yeah after seeing the off road guys switch to Answer now, it looks like they are done. No announcement on 2018 gear, no riders running their stuff. That brand has been around for so long! Its a bummer to see any brand disappear in moto.
muGz.147
Fantasy
1922nd
9/6/2017 2:20pm
MSR has been purchased by one of the mail order internet companies. TR having two clothing companies competing and cannibalizing each other, needed to end. So now they're focused on ANSR, which will allow them to push development, bring better gear to the brand, and have a larger budget for multiple avenues. Signing riders...etc. The new stuff is really clean.
swtwtwtw
9/6/2017 2:55pm
Yeah, it appears that ANSR is making the off-road apparel for 2018
TriRacer27
Fantasy
42nd
9/6/2017 3:06pm
Moto Mofo wrote:
They are letting MSR die, unfortunately. My understanding is that they are letting existing stock sell off, and that'll be it. Then they are going to...
They are letting MSR die, unfortunately. My understanding is that they are letting existing stock sell off, and that'll be it. Then they are going to focus solely on Answer (or ANSR... what kind of goofy shit is that?). I was looking at the MSR social media accounts a few weeks ago, and there had been no activity since April or so.
I'm with ya, ANSR is kinda lame. What's next, just a light bulb emoji?
ML512
Fantasy
36th
9/6/2017 3:52pm
MSR logos will be Rocky Mountain MX/ATV
Correct, Rocky Mountain will be taking over MSR.
ebers
Fantasy
170th
9/6/2017 4:15pm
I've worn nothing but MSR gear for 11 years straight and I can tell you I'm bummed. They're Legend gear the last few seasons has been some of their greatest stuff ever. Great people to deal with over the phone over the years too.
SoCalMX70
9/6/2017 4:22pm
Damn. Have a set of their Legend gear and I love it!
montesagold
9/6/2017 4:43pm
just tried to place a very random order with my rider support account, everything from gear to tools to enduro jackets to clothing and they got back in touch with me and said everything was out of stock except the items out of the hard parts catalog, had all of those items. Gave me the option to order ANSWER gear, said they were all out until the '18 stuff shows up... how could a company suddenly in August be completely out of every single thing I tried to order? Somethings up, I noticed at the Enduro last weekend that a few of the Am-Pro guys had Answer gear on. You don't see a midseason switch like that very often, kinda sad, Randy's team has been solely MSR for 25+years...
9/6/2017 4:51pm
ML512 wrote:
I'm assuming it's Rocky Mountain that sponsors Forest Butlers team so will they have to end their partnership with Fly? Or is it kind of like the RIDE365 / Malcolm Stewart deal where they have a house brand of gear but that doesn't effect the teams/riders they sponsor?
disbanded
Fantasy
1842nd
9/6/2017 5:36pm
I used to roll so hard in MSR

Spooner
9/6/2017 6:24pm
It’s never good to see a long standing brand die. I believe the hard parts line may be doing some ‘restructuring’ as well.
SPYGUY
Fantasy
885th
9/6/2017 6:57pm
I'm assuming it's Rocky Mountain that sponsors Forest Butlers team so will they have to end their partnership with Fly? Or is it kind of like...
I'm assuming it's Rocky Mountain that sponsors Forest Butlers team so will they have to end their partnership with Fly? Or is it kind of like the RIDE365 / Malcolm Stewart deal where they have a house brand of gear but that doesn't effect the teams/riders they sponsor?
No different than when McGrath signed with Chaparral and was forced to drop Fox in favor of Ocelot.
SoCalMX70
9/6/2017 7:05pm
I'm assuming it's Rocky Mountain that sponsors Forest Butlers team so will they have to end their partnership with Fly? Or is it kind of like...
SPYGUY wrote:
No different than when McGrath signed with Chaparral and was forced to drop Fox in favor of Ocelot.
What? When did McGrath ever run Ocelot?
I only remember Fox, No Fear, and Thor. Going way back I think it was Axo?
Hudd_421
9/6/2017 7:24pm
Been in the works for some time. I know a few years ago, they shifted focus of each brand. I never understood having both brands competing.

I used to wear MSR 7-8 years ago, but a recent set I got of their high end stuff wasn't nearly as durable as in the past.
While my Answer gear doesn't fit as good as say, Fox Flex Air, or have bells and whistles its been damn tough.

Keefer mentioned the new Trinity line is awesome, so I look forward to getting a set!
ML512
Fantasy
36th
9/6/2017 7:30pm
ML512 wrote:
Naw, I don't see it effecting that...unless Rocky is going to step up big on $$$ as Fly/WPS is probably the second biggest supporter of the team. Their current contract isn't written up for them to wear the house brand gear and I wouldn't see that changing unless there was more money on the table to switch. Beyond that, it's kinda dangerous putting all your eggs in one basket with Rocky Mountain for sponsorship in case they want to scale back or move on in the future. The Butler team has had such a long standing relationship with Fly/WPS I would think they would keep that going if possible.
RonJon
9/6/2017 8:00pm
Thats a shame, MSR has been such a staple in our sport for a long time. I personally think the new Answer (ANSR ASSWEAR whatever they call them selves now) stuff looks like garbage. Nobody is going to wear rocky mountain brand unless it is dirt cheap like Bilt. Apparently Fox (whoever owns them now) is the only company that can successfully pull off two brands.
Jt$
9/7/2017 6:18am
You know what they say about assuming... This thread's subject doesn't have any bearing or effect on the team or its partnerships.
kkawboy14
9/7/2017 6:29am Edited Date/Time 9/7/2017 6:29am
Needed to disappear so FXR could move in......
Coyote
9/7/2017 7:03am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Needed to disappear so FXR could move in......
AmPro Yamaha boys all wearing MSR will be styling in Answer for 18...just saying!!
Jack_Mehoff
Fantasy
59th
9/7/2017 9:07am
Too bad. I remember begging my dad for some after watching On Any Sunday as a kid because Malcom Smith was such a badass.

Post a reply to: MSR Gear

The Latest