MMI az school

SouthwestMfg
10/19/2011 6:47am Edited Date/Time 10/19/2011 6:54am
Lots of good advice for you kawimoto_615, some not so good, but your young and have time to make mistakes and learn. I have a possible suggestion for you locally (I'm in Sac area) if you could pm me I'll get some information to you.

> "williamsmotowerx wrote: here's a quiz kawi... how do you know how much slack to put in chain? "

Very good question about knowing how to adjust a chain and he's right in "I wouldn't hire you..." That's not a "hater" answer, not a personal assault he's just stating that nobody answered how to adjust a chain. The reason he asked (I'm assuming) is because knowing how would tell someone that you have a technical understanding of what you are doing - adjusting the chain. Compress the rear suspension (use a tie-down) until you have the rear axle, the swing arm pivot and the countershaft in a straight line - now adjust the chain to no slack, you need to really think about where/what no slack is. Now release the rear suspension. So now with the bike on a stand (?) you can observe where the chain is at a "known" point. Two fingers, four beer caps, does not matter what you use at that point, you just need to be accurate and measure at the same place / same dimension.

Oh and "go to college" and find a job to make the most money you can, in my opinion - fail. Main root cause of the upside down economy now is everyone wants to make the most money they can - then spend the least they have to. Some people need to make things, like wrenching on motorcycles. Figure out what you like to do, figure out how you can incorporate that into making a living - the money will come somewhere in optimizing the equation. Of course that may take you entire life time....
newmann
10/19/2011 6:50am
I wouldn't hire you.

Ask the MMI recruit the question I asked.
of course you wouldnt, because you are just a random guy that sits behind a keyboard and hates on everything, my two fingers and a half...
of course you wouldnt, because you are just a random guy that sits behind a keyboard and hates on everything, my two fingers and a half a finger gap has done more than just "good" for me. havent snapped a chain yet.
You probably won't understand this either but this is where you continue to blow it. When you understand the principles of how one of these works and can construct one by hand, then come back and apologize.

Cygnus
10/19/2011 6:58am
No way I would let you within ten feet of my bike with a wrench in your hand kid. Before or after MMI. I have worked at my share of dealerships and shops. All of them would file the resumes with MMI on them in the round file under the desk. For whT it's worth.
davis224
Fantasy
138th
10/19/2011 7:15am
You get out of it what you put in. I went to Ohio Technical College's Power Sport Institute, and have been working at a dealer for over 3 years now. So far every MMI grad we've had has been a burnout failure who didn't know what the difference between WD40 and air filter oil was. (that's a real example) But, we've also hired people from the same school I went to that sucked. I'd recommend apprenticing at your local shop to see what really goes on and get real world experience. If you still want to go to MMI, while you're there, focus on utility ATVs and cruisers. You might actually work on one dirt bike a year in a real shop, all MX'ers do their own work. Also get good at electrical, it'll make you more valuable.

What would I do if i could do it over again? I've enjoyed working in a dealership, but after seeing all my high school friends graduating college or having good paying jobs while I'm making a few dollars over minimum wage an hour? I'd have went to a regular college or gotten into a high paying field (like HVAC). I contemplate going to a community college or getting some construction job that pays $20/hr all the time.

The Shop

agency399
10/19/2011 7:33am
Walter wrote:
[i]"for the most part though i cannot stand sitting in a college classroom. i do it right now at the local community college and it just...
"for the most part though i cannot stand sitting in a college classroom. i do it right now at the local community college and it just bores the hell out of me. nor do a lot of the requirements out there for a degree make any sense to me. a.k.a learning calculus even though most people will never use a calculus equation in their lifetime. thats why i have considered going to a trade school such as MMI.... on top of that working on my motocross bikes is honestly fun for me."

The decision you face is a very personal one. What is good for one may not be for another. Some things that are fun to do make better hobbies than careers.

A college education does not necessarily guarantee you security and financial success. It never hurts and can help in more ways than you realize at the time. I would urge you to think longer term in making the choice. Sitting in class is boring. But it is over after a relatively short time in your life. Some classes do not make sense at the time...but do years later.

Think about where you want to be in 10 or 15 years. Remember that if you want to own a shop, you better be able to do some accounting, inventory control and a host of other things beyond just spinning the wrenches...school helps there too.

Think about working in the trade and going to school.

After my first year in college I was bored and had some of the same feelings you have expressed. I had a chance to spend a year on the road with a car racing team. It was what I wanted to do long term and I thought it would be great in that I could learn a lot. My Dad talked me into staying in school, reminded me that I wanted to be a lawyer and was on track to do so, told me the 6 more years I would be in school would pass quickly, and told me I could buy a race car once I got out. I took his advice and it has worked out well for me. Racing bikes and cars became a great avocation that I could afford by my profession.

Good luck in your choice.
I could not agree more with Walter and it’s kind of the same for me (only I am not even in the same ball park with the smarts to be a lawyer).

I HATED everything about school. From high school through college it always made me cringe. I am lucky in that we have a family business I took an interest in when I was a Fairley young guy (15 to 16), and my parents guided me on how to get where I needed to be to eventually run the show. (Still not there yet, but I have a feeling the day when pops call it quits is coming)

But my real dream was to be a dairy farmer. There was nothing I loved more than working on the farm. From driving tractors, to barn chores, it’s all I wanted to do. But in the back of my mind I knew I did not want to work for 10 bucks an hour forever.

So college it was, first a 2 year school to get my grades up, then a university down south. I majored in our family business (Insurance and Risk Management) Received my bachelors, came home and started selling commercial insurance for the old man, we just ran my numbers yesterday and I have a book of $950,000 that I built over the last 4 years. (I live at the top of New York, above Syracuse; I have to drive a couple hours to get to any real nice accounts.) I can’t stress this enough, I hated school. But I am glad I stayed in.

Yea, I am pumped with my day job, I enjoy helping people whether its saving them money on their insurance, building a better program than they currently have or showing up at a house fire where a family has lost everything, that part of it is all great, but what I think is even cooler, and to go along with what Walter is saying, I bought beef cows this past spring and I am trying to build a small farm from scratch on my grandfathers old farm that has not been used since the 70's.

I would not be living this way had I not gone through college, sure I would have a job as its a family business, but I can guarantee I wouldn’t have done what I have in the past 4 years.

Stay in college man. Then start looking for a job in the industry. Your dreams will come true before you know it. Just my .02
rmgsxr
10/19/2011 7:40am
When I have parents come ask me about MMI (happens a lot in my position) I tell them to let their kid live at home for two years and give him just enough money to survive. And while he is living those two years at home, go work at a shop for free. The kid will learn more and they will be money ahead.
mxpunk
10/19/2011 8:04am
Dont put yourself into debt going to college either....live at home and commute and get someone else to pay for it or work your way through.

A college degree isn't what is once was and if you really want to make money, you need to major in something specific.
mxtech1
10/19/2011 8:23am
mxpunk wrote:
Dont put yourself into debt going to college either....live at home and commute and get someone else to pay for it or work your way through...
Dont put yourself into debt going to college either....live at home and commute and get someone else to pay for it or work your way through.

A college degree isn't what is once was and if you really want to make money, you need to major in something specific.
I agree with you. College degrees do not hold as much prestige as they used to. It seems to me an associates degree now has about as much value as a high school diploma. Bachelor's degrees are about a dime a dozen now and are usually a pre-req for any decent paying job. I've been seeing that besides having a bachelor's degree, alot of employers are now wanting applicants with masters degrees or some type of post-graduate work related to the field.

So many kids now are just going through college to earn a degree. I can't tell you how many times i've heard students around campus say they just picked what they thought was the easiest major (recreation and tourism, english, public relations, business, etc.) they graduate and find out they can't get a job because their degrees are so general that they really have no specific knowledge that pertains to an applicable career. Most of theses students would have been better off going to trade school and learning a skill worthwile.

College is an investment to the future. Job trends don't lie. degrees that involve technology, engineering, petroleum, sciences are always going to be in demand.
mxpunk
10/19/2011 8:31am
mxpunk wrote:
Dont put yourself into debt going to college either....live at home and commute and get someone else to pay for it or work your way through...

mxtech1 wrote:
I agree with you. College degrees do not hold as much prestige as they used to. It seems to me an associates degree now has about...
I agree with you. College degrees do not hold as much prestige as they used to. It seems to me an associates degree now has about as much value as a high school diploma. Bachelor's degrees are about a dime a dozen now and are usually a pre-req for any decent paying job. I've been seeing that besides having a bachelor's degree, alot of employers are now wanting applicants with masters degrees or some type of post-graduate work related to the field.

So many kids now are just going through college to earn a degree. I can't tell you how many times i've heard students around campus say they just picked what they thought was the easiest major (recreation and tourism, english, public relations, business, etc.) they graduate and find out they can't get a job because their degrees are so general that they really have no specific knowledge that pertains to an applicable career. Most of theses students would have been better off going to trade school and learning a skill worthwile.

College is an investment to the future. Job trends don't lie. degrees that involve technology, engineering, petroleum, sciences are always going to be in demand.
A bachelors degree is the new HS diploma.

Experience is more important than any degree but certain companies do want a degree (Fortune 500's for example)

Engineering and the Hard Sciences are about the only degrees that have any worth IMO

Business, Computer Science ...you don't need a degree to work in "business" unless you're an actuary and you don't need one to be a computer programmer (note, computer science ISNT engineering)
EmDub425
10/19/2011 8:38am Edited Date/Time 10/19/2011 8:43am
Another aspect you must consider, is that working at a dealership does not mean just working on what you like. Sure you may get to work on a moto bike here or there, but be prepared to work on a lot of old stuff. Yamaha 1100 Virago's, Honda v65 Magna's, Kawi KZ100. Also, you will be working on many many 4x4 quads that are packed with mud and cow shit. 75% of bikes you see are not maintained properly and become way more of a job than what they appear to be at first glance.

I work at a dealer, and two of our techs went to MMI and both feel it was a waste of money for what you get out of it.
newmann
10/19/2011 8:50am
Okay kawimoto, how many fingers chain slack on this bike right here? Looks tight in the picture doesn't it?

Cygnus
10/19/2011 9:00am
newmann wrote:
Okay kawimoto, how many fingers chain slack on this bike right here? Looks tight in the picture doesn't it? [img]https://www.mcnews.com.au/Testing/BMW/2009_G450X/G450X_Gallery/images/BMW_G450X_LHF_700p.jpg[/img]
Okay kawimoto, how many fingers chain slack on this bike right here? Looks tight in the picture doesn't it?

Har! Good one Newman. Might as well dump this thread. This kid has already made up his mind it seems.
7I3N
10/19/2011 9:20am
MMI and UTI, their automotive counterpart, are good schools. But you can’t make someone into a mechanic if they don’t already have a mechanical aptitude. My biggest complaint with the school is they don’t pre-screen students. If they had all of their applicants attempt this simple test before accepting them, it would save a lot of people a lot of time and money.

bt260
10/19/2011 9:26am Edited Date/Time 10/19/2011 9:27am
I've worked at a few different shops in a service manager position in the past and can honestly say that MMI grads generally haven't known squat. One guy didn't know how to use a chain breaker and seized a street bike engine on the stand when he ran it for ten minutes after he drained the engine oil. He had "graduated" from the Arizona MMI 52 week program. He then filled the engine with oil and tried to get it to run. When that didn't work, he loaded his tools in the truck and left a post-it note apology on the seat of the bike and left out the back door. Never saw him again.

You definitely get what take from any school. I've got a friend whose a mechanic in the military, with a masters degree in liberal arts (that the government paid for) and I love the guy, but he's a blooming idiot. He can get by as a basic mechanic, but man, I'd hate to ever see him as a teacher or working on aircraft. If you're willing to put in the time, it seems you can get the paper from most anywhere. Some people are never going to be anything but lifetime novices, but I find it alarming how many of them can have degrees. I have another friend who just went back to school at 44 years old and got an associates in IT, only to find out it's absolutely worthless. Then there's the fact that the dude still doesn't know shit about computers. But he's got paper that says he does.

I never went to school a day after 12th grade, so maybe I'm biased. It's a really tough job market out there and I can honestly say I don't believe degrees from just about anywhere make that big of an impact currently. Many times when I was younger I've found myself working minimum wage jobs right beside people with 4 year degrees and 80 grand worth of student loans staring them in the face. The idea that a bachelors degree is going to guarantee you and 80K a year job is a total myth. Same goes for the MMI pledge. They may get you a job in a shop, but most likely it's a minimum wage service writer position.
10/19/2011 9:30am
Another thing about MMI I will add, once the first day of school started I got the vibe that they all the sudden didn't give a shit about you! Only people that even knew who you are is the student loan workers, always pulling someone out of class for something money related.

MMI has zero requirements to get into the school. They say high school diploma or GED but I knew a bunch of guys that didn't have that and got in. One guy had no clue at all how to use a calculator! During theory he actually had to take notes on how to use one!

MMI pushes students through the courses at a rapid rate and whoever owns MMI is extremely rich! They certainly weren't putting money back into the school equipment! Monday thru Friday there is a morning classes, afternoon, and night class. There had to be at least 500 students per session. It's more like herding cattle that all have 30K strapped on their backs waiting at the door!
kawimoto_615
10/19/2011 9:31am
i totally understand the whole bachelor degree thing, neither of my parents went to college and both have done very well...

to the dealership i go... thats how i see it now
mxpunk
10/19/2011 9:35am
bt260 wrote:
I've worked at a few different shops in a service manager position in the past and can honestly say that MMI grads generally haven't known squat...
I've worked at a few different shops in a service manager position in the past and can honestly say that MMI grads generally haven't known squat. One guy didn't know how to use a chain breaker and seized a street bike engine on the stand when he ran it for ten minutes after he drained the engine oil. He had "graduated" from the Arizona MMI 52 week program. He then filled the engine with oil and tried to get it to run. When that didn't work, he loaded his tools in the truck and left a post-it note apology on the seat of the bike and left out the back door. Never saw him again.

You definitely get what take from any school. I've got a friend whose a mechanic in the military, with a masters degree in liberal arts (that the government paid for) and I love the guy, but he's a blooming idiot. He can get by as a basic mechanic, but man, I'd hate to ever see him as a teacher or working on aircraft. If you're willing to put in the time, it seems you can get the paper from most anywhere. Some people are never going to be anything but lifetime novices, but I find it alarming how many of them can have degrees. I have another friend who just went back to school at 44 years old and got an associates in IT, only to find out it's absolutely worthless. Then there's the fact that the dude still doesn't know shit about computers. But he's got paper that says he does.

I never went to school a day after 12th grade, so maybe I'm biased. It's a really tough job market out there and I can honestly say I don't believe degrees from just about anywhere make that big of an impact currently. Many times when I was younger I've found myself working minimum wage jobs right beside people with 4 year degrees and 80 grand worth of student loans staring them in the face. The idea that a bachelors degree is going to guarantee you and 80K a year job is a total myth. Same goes for the MMI pledge. They may get you a job in a shop, but most likely it's a minimum wage service writer position.
it's like that today too!!

now all those douches are occupying wall street!!
10/19/2011 9:35am
i totally understand the whole bachelor degree thing, neither of my parents went to college and both have done very well... to the dealership i go...
i totally understand the whole bachelor degree thing, neither of my parents went to college and both have done very well...

Dry Well at least you will qualify for state food stamps and health insurance going that route! LaughingDrySad
kawimoto_615
10/19/2011 9:39am
ha, never would i take any bulshit finacial support from the government. i support myself just fine right now making less money than most entry level mechanics do i bet.
bt260
10/19/2011 9:48am
i totally understand the whole bachelor degree thing, neither of my parents went to college and both have done very well... to the dealership i go...

That's where you'll learn the most, get real world experience and actually get paid to do it instead of putting yourself in a financial hole right out of the gate. Pay attention though, in my experience, most shops will have one mechanic that really knows his stuff and the rest are hacks. Don't expect to learn much from the guy who shows up with his tools in a 5 gallon bucket or an old Igloo cooler.

And don't relegate yourself to just the shop. If you truly aspire to own/run your own place someday, try to learn all the aspects, parts, sales, finance, everything.

I spent 14 years in the powersports industry and the last six selling construction equipment parts, using skills learned in powersports and I have waaay more time to enjoy moto now than when I worked in that business. And I make way more money too. Sure, construction equipment is boring compared to helping someone deck out their new moto ride, but there's definitely something to be said for never working Saturdays and actually being paid enough to afford to buy that new 9 thousand dollar bike.
mjskier
10/19/2011 9:50am

Seeing that the Euro bikes always have some weird design, I've got to think this is a trick question.
I would investigate where the front sprocket is in relation to the swing arm pivot point before answering...
kawimoto_615
10/19/2011 9:52am
oh yeah of course i wouldnt limit myself to just what goes on behind the doors, everyone starts somewhere though, and yeah i do plan on taking classes in the mean time for accounting and buisness relations.
kawimoto_615
10/19/2011 9:53am
i just figured id start this thread because there is a lot of mixed opinions from a bunch of different people about the school..
kawimoto_615
10/19/2011 9:56am
mjskier wrote:
[b]Okay kawimoto, how many fingers chain slack on this bike right here? Looks tight in the picture doesn't it?[/b] Seeing that the Euro bikes always have...

Seeing that the Euro bikes always have some weird design, I've got to think this is a trick question.
I would investigate where the front sprocket is in relation to the swing arm pivot point before answering...
i wasnt going to even try, who rides those damn things anyways.
mxtech1
10/19/2011 11:09am Edited Date/Time 10/19/2011 11:11am
EmDub425 wrote:
Another aspect you must consider, is that working at a dealership does not mean just working on what you like. Sure you may get to work...
Another aspect you must consider, is that working at a dealership does not mean just working on what you like. Sure you may get to work on a moto bike here or there, but be prepared to work on a lot of old stuff. Yamaha 1100 Virago's, Honda v65 Magna's, Kawi KZ100. Also, you will be working on many many 4x4 quads that are packed with mud and cow shit. 75% of bikes you see are not maintained properly and become way more of a job than what they appear to be at first glance.

I work at a dealer, and two of our techs went to MMI and both feel it was a waste of money for what you get out of it.
Honda V65 Magnas...............I hate them. Probably the only bike that i absolutely cringe at the thought of and hold a bitter grudge against.

I had to do a carb job on one at one point while i was at a dealership. That was almost an 8 hour job for that pos. They have that carb pacakage so effing tight and wedged in there its a trip taking them in and out. of course half of the dam bike has to come apart to allow enough access to work with them, and then of course the stupid main frame tube allows about 1-2" of clearance to get the things out. Shit i'm getting pissed just thinking about how much that sucked! I told my service manager I would refuse to ever do that same job again....he laughed and told me he had allowed that bike in especially for me as a "test of patience." He then told me he always turns those bikes away because he couldn't ever bill for the amount of time needed for something as simple as a carb clean on them
Cygnus
10/19/2011 11:19am
One good thing about working at a dealership was we wouldn't take in anything over 10 years old. Just too hard to get parts and some of the old stuff just doesn't come apart like they should so the flat rate goes out the window.
ScottP
10/19/2011 11:55am
I went to MMI in AZ. I also worked in a shop for a couple years prior and took Race Tech Suspension classes on my own.
The school is EH!. They will give you the basic knowledge of how motors and electrical work.
All the training aids are trashed. You never get to actually run anything you are working on.
Most of the teachers are outdated. (Great people but outdated due to technology advances on the new bikes)

They do not help you get a job in the industry At ALL. And it is very very true that they just basically pass everyone.
This gives them a bad name in the real world. Shops will not hire you just because you went to MMI simply because most of them have hired MMI grads before and they were useless.

When I graduated I looked for jobs at dealerships. They wanted me to start as basically a tire changer and pay $9-$10 an hour not even put me on flat rate doing real jobs. So I ended up working outside the industy and doing motor work on the side.

One of the dealerships I applied to and offered me $9 an hour, ended up sending me valve jobs because their mechanics couldn't do it.

MMI is great at giving you a knowledge base but unfortunately in the real world it's all about who you know not where you went to school.
TerryB
10/19/2011 12:35pm
Again, you get out of it what you put in to it. Was it worth the price of admission? Probably not. He already knows he doesn't want to be doing this more than a couple more years, then, just for side money or a hobby/small business. Who knows, he's young. The most valuable things he learned while there were electrical troubleshooting, (I suck at that and couldn't teach him much) and Lightspeed software, which almost every dealer I know uses. Everything else, he kind of knew, to varying degrees, but it was good practice, and it got him his Manufacturer cert's, which, up here, I don't think he could have got a job at a dealer without them.

They did help my son get a job, though. Maybe if you are a standout over the other schlepps that they push through, they'll go out of their way to help you a little. It helped that his transcripts showed what they did and indicated perfect attendance. I'm sure that means something to prospective employers, (in fact, he never missed a day of school K-12).

Above all, like has been said, real world experience is the only thing that will make you a real "mechanic".
10/19/2011 1:24pm Edited Date/Time 10/19/2011 1:27pm
Your better off going to Race Tech's school! You'd make way more doing suspension!

In 2008 I wrench full time for a pro rider that had a unlimited budget. Check out the attention to detail on the 250F race bike I built and this was the day after a mud race in Maine! I even made handcrafted parts for it, hose holder under the carb. How much do you think this bike costs at retail price?

On the side you can't see, it had a full Yosh titanium dual exhaust system, Factory Connection A kit suspension, fast lines, wave rotors, anodized brake line bolts, Hinson full clutch, anodized engine plugs, FC linkage, Twin Air aluminum cage and filter, and titanium rear brake clevis. The motor from PR2 was $4500 and pushing 46 horse on the dyno! So how much do you think this race bike would cost to buy at full retail?

It was a nice having my own work area and unlimited budget, but my pay was only $400 a week. I did have benefits of housing, car, food and 10% winnings, which wasn't much at all. I actually loved this job for a while but ended up being impossible to work with the rider so I quit.

Check out the view from the shop! At one point I was responsible for 12 bikes! These bikes were old practice bikes besides the one closest being built.

I basically worked all day long but didn't have set hours and had a lot of fun riding here and there.

If I wanted to wrench for a rider again, I'd either be a race bike mechanic or a practice bike mechanic but not both. One year I just did Supercross on the weekends and I liked that a lot. Supercross is much easier to do than outdoors. Don't even have to clean air filters!

Post a reply to: MMI az school

The Latest