MMI Expierence

1/4/2010 4:08pm
i had a great experience down in Florida at MMI. I took all four Japanese courses. my only advice is to start talking to future employers now. call them up half way through schooling. call them up once a month when you are close to finishing. Do not go back home with out having a job in the industry. my courses rapped up in August so when i came back home to New Hampshire there were only a couple months before they layed off low man. So all in all, be persistent. Choose the right time to go back to your area. Make sure you keep your attendance grade perfect. Dealerships are looking for that.
dad11
1/4/2010 4:23pm
Sounds good, I'm not necessarily looking to come back to my area for a career. How was your stay financially? (I have a family of four) this is one thing thats got me dotting the I's and crossing my T's.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
1/4/2010 4:32pm
In my opinion you are better off not going into a motorcycle tech career. Even after you get through MMI you will more than likely start on the low end of the pay scale. MMI is a BIG investment with a low return over a long period of time. There are some Techs who make a good living in the motorcycle business but that is the exception not the rule.
We have had several MMI grads and the few that did work out had alot of experence before they went to MMI and they felt it was not worth the investment. This is only MY personal opinion from when I was a service manager and I am sure there are some real sucess stories but with a family of four it may not be a wise choice.
1/4/2010 4:43pm
I agree with lostboy. They weren't going to pay a lot when you first graduated. i was luckily 19 when i went down there, so i had very little financial responsibility compared to someone with a wife and children. If being a tech is something you really want to do, then do it. when i came back in 2006 $14 was the max i was going to get paid.

The Shop

dad11
1/4/2010 4:44pm
lostboy819 wrote:
In my opinion you are better off not going into a motorcycle tech career. Even after you get through MMI you will more than likely start...
In my opinion you are better off not going into a motorcycle tech career. Even after you get through MMI you will more than likely start on the low end of the pay scale. MMI is a BIG investment with a low return over a long period of time. There are some Techs who make a good living in the motorcycle business but that is the exception not the rule.
We have had several MMI grads and the few that did work out had alot of experence before they went to MMI and they felt it was not worth the investment. This is only MY personal opinion from when I was a service manager and I am sure there are some real sucess stories but with a family of four it may not be a wise choice.
Thanks! and that's what I really keep getting(outside the testimonies from MMI) not to bash the school, but everyone pumps their own reviews up! I'm just really looking for a opportunity in the industry and I really enjoy turning wrenches on bikes and on the other hand I don't want to be broke.
1/4/2010 4:54pm
if i pushed myself harder i would be in the motorcycle industry. i will say that. I currently act as a High Performance Car Engine builder. so i do similar stuff but different. haha.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1442nd
1/4/2010 4:58pm
lostboy819 wrote:
In my opinion you are better off not going into a motorcycle tech career. Even after you get through MMI you will more than likely start...
dad11 wrote:
Thanks! and that's what I really keep getting(outside the testimonies from MMI) not to bash the school, but everyone pumps their own reviews up! I'm just...
Thanks! and that's what I really keep getting(outside the testimonies from MMI) not to bash the school, but everyone pumps their own reviews up! I'm just really looking for a opportunity in the industry and I really enjoy turning wrenches on bikes and on the other hand I don't want to be broke.
Go get a job at a local shop doing setup partime, or maybe on saturdays and that way you can get a feel for the buisness and see what is invloved without quitting your main job. I had one MMI grad who knew more than the teachers when he was at MMI and wished he would have invested that 10k in tools and not the school and he was full commision and did OK but when winter rolled around he had to work partime at UPS.
We had another MMI grad who the only thing he could come up with when a bike didnt run was to check the spark plug gap , I dont blame that on the school because this guy had NO clue on anything with a engine but he wasted 10k and that was at 1990s prices I dont know how much tuition is now but I am sure it has gone up. The best teacher is experience.
FIREfish148
1/4/2010 5:31pm
lostboy819 wrote:
dad11 wrote:
Thanks! and that's what I really keep getting(outside the testimonies from MMI) not to bash the school, but everyone pumps their own reviews up! I'm just...
lostboy819 wrote:
Go get a job at a local shop doing setup partime, or maybe on saturdays and that way you can get a feel for the buisness...
Go get a job at a local shop doing setup partime, or maybe on saturdays and that way you can get a feel for the buisness and see what is invloved without quitting your main job. I had one MMI grad who knew more than the teachers when he was at MMI and wished he would have invested that 10k in tools and not the school and he was full commision and did OK but when winter rolled around he had to work partime at UPS.
We had another MMI grad who the only thing he could come up with when a bike didnt run was to check the spark plug gap , I dont blame that on the school because this guy had NO clue on anything with a engine but he wasted 10k and that was at 1990s prices I dont know how much tuition is now but I am sure it has gone up. The best teacher is experience.
10k is the price for the tool set required. I had a buddy that went into it and thats about what he paid. all in all i think he paid 35,000.00 idk if thats including rent and other stuff. Said it wwas a fun experience for coming out of highschool though.
racin mason
1/4/2010 5:51pm
I went in 81,graduated top student in my class.I came home and worked at the local shop.I hated working on bikes that the owner tried to work on with vise grips and a hammer.I lasted 2 weeks.I quit when the shop owner started screaming at me for not selling parts that people didnt need. 20 minutes after I quit ,I had my old job back doing masonry.Im glad I went ,but there is no way Id go with a family to support at the same time.
nc_mx_kid
1/4/2010 6:49pm
Id look into local community colleges for small engine classes or something similar to gain knowledge and like stated above, TALK with your local dealers/potential employers.
itchyalrgynut
1/4/2010 6:54pm
I graduated in 94 and would not do it over. Worked in a shop for 3 months and realized it was not for me. The school provided me with little more than a reference and even had some shops say they wont hire MMI grads. Had a great time in AZ though, so many hot chicks down in Tempe.
tcannon521
Fantasy
1417th
1/4/2010 6:58pm
I have been in the industry a long time now. I have hired and fired quite a few techs. Most of the time MMI is only good for getting you looked at for the job. I say most of the time because a lot of shop owners have a bad feeling or had a bad tech come from MMI. They will teach you a lot of basic knowledge and that's it. You will learn by the seat of your pants more than MMI.

That said, I have and had techs with mmi and shade tree make over 70k a year. Year after year. The money is there if you are really good, you hustle and are in a good market for Powersports.

The highest paid tech I know makes 100k+ year after year. That is one out of 70 though. Most in my area make 35-60k per year.

Goodluck which ever way you decide!
zjbell
1/4/2010 7:02pm
34k to be a Motorcycle Mechanic at $14 an hour?
Madmax31
Fantasy
91st
1/4/2010 7:16pm
I'm guessing TCANNON is in CA? You'd be damn lucky to find an entry level tech job at anything over $11-12 an hour in OH, probably $10.
500guy
1/4/2010 7:23pm
In my opinion all the Tech schools are way over priced and mostly interested in just making money and not producing quality techs.

That and all of them love to tell the Parents little Johnny will graduate and start making 50K-100K right away. most are lucky to score a 20K a year job and go do something different.

Tools , experience and technical data are more important than the actual schooling.
dad11
1/4/2010 7:32pm
I graduated in 94 and would not do it over. Worked in a shop for 3 months and realized it was not for me. The school...
I graduated in 94 and would not do it over. Worked in a shop for 3 months and realized it was not for me. The school provided me with little more than a reference and even had some shops say they wont hire MMI grads. Had a great time in AZ though, so many hot chicks down in Tempe.
Thanks guys! You all have answered all my doubts! I own a business now and I'm just burnt out! I figured this might be a good way to get extra experience and reconition in the industry, but from this comment and MADMAX31"s avatar all I'm left with is a stiffie! HorseLMAO! You guys have been helpful and kept my chin up for another day in the self employed world. Oh Yea! Did I mention I do get to ride alot also! Guess things are not that bad!
tcannon521
Fantasy
1417th
1/4/2010 7:39pm
zjbell wrote:
34k to be a Motorcycle Mechanic at $14 an hour?
14 an hour is just under 30k.

Billed rate and tech rate are very different and that is how the good techs make more money. I have techs that can almost double flat rate.

I am not in CA, I am in TN. I am in a great area here though for Powersports.

My good techs and other good tech in my group make 29 on MC and Atv and 37 on ski's per billed hour.

Keep in mind a good tech has 20 to 30k in tools and boxes. Another thing is while the dealership will buy essential tools and special tools a lot of techs will buy their own to save time on getting the dealerships tools from the mgr or foreman. Tools is a never ending expense. Batteries for impacts and ratchets die, new diag items are needed, gauges break and sales guys steal or should I say borrow them. LOL
dad11
1/4/2010 7:43pm
Where are you in Tn.? I'm in Chattanooga!
MMCDan
1/4/2010 7:47pm Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:47pm
If you are a good troubleshooter and enjoy working on equipment (not necessarily internal combustion engines) you should consider going to school to become an instrumentation & control technican (or I & E Tech). Places like ITT Tech and most community colleges and/or tech schools have programs.

I'm in the power and process industries and can tell you that these individuals are in short supply and make good money ($20 - $30/hour depending on industry and location) right out of school. Senior techs are worth their weight in gold and can really make-or-break some of these highly automated facilities.

It aint turning wrenches on dirt bikes but that kind of salary and job security can put bikes in your garage and buy tickets to nationals.
500guy
1/4/2010 7:57pm
MMCDan wrote:
If you are a good troubleshooter and enjoy working on equipment (not necessarily internal combustion engines) you should consider going to school to become an instrumentation...
If you are a good troubleshooter and enjoy working on equipment (not necessarily internal combustion engines) you should consider going to school to become an instrumentation & control technican (or I & E Tech). Places like ITT Tech and most community colleges and/or tech schools have programs.

I'm in the power and process industries and can tell you that these individuals are in short supply and make good money ($20 - $30/hour depending on industry and location) right out of school. Senior techs are worth their weight in gold and can really make-or-break some of these highly automated facilities.

It aint turning wrenches on dirt bikes but that kind of salary and job security can put bikes in your garage and buy tickets to nationals.
That's a good tip there guy's ,

Thanks for the input
slider
1/4/2010 8:49pm
I was into auto electrical for 14 years and during this time we hired 2 guys from a local tech school. Both did not last more than a few weeks.
As I see it, you either got it or you don't. I did not need someone to teach me what a 17mm combo wrench is or how to use a volt meter... Many dream of turning wrenches but have no mechanical skills or, worse yet, no common sense.
We then looked at kids in high school that we could train ourselves the "right way". It amazes me how tech schools tell EE's that they will start out at 70k/year. With no experience, to me, they are worth 33k/year. When/if they prove themselves they will stay and work up to that #.

I am certain the same is true in bike shops. I imagine only the truely interested students make it after graduating from any tech school. Same as in anything, really.

My biggest gripe with the mech's we hired is they had no experience. One dude went to fix his first AC job and could not find anything. After just standing there for about 10 minutes he said "in school all the components were on a board hanging on a wall". This car had the high and low ac ports under the car, had to jack it up to even touch them... I advised him to pack up and find a lube shop to work at. He did. *wink*

Rick
andymoto
1/5/2010 12:59am Edited Date/Time 4/17/2016 7:47pm
I believe MMI and the WyoTechs target those coming out of HS by giving them false sense of them graduating right into a good paying race team job...

Have a friend that teaches part time m/c electronics for the local community college motorcycle program while he works full time servicing the CHP's M/C fleet in our area.

Says dealers love good techs that have great electrical troubleshooting skills and that can handle adding electrical accessories no problem. Says just wrench twisters dime a dozen, but troubleshoot circuit(s) or other electrical probs are much harder to find good people.

Also says now/then an ASE certified mechanic will take a special test to bypass a required class and they don't know an ohm from a watt and other things like PIE/EIR problems(Watts and Ohms law). Makes ya wonder how they got certified ASE.

Too bad schools use to have ROP afterschool programs that you use to be able to learn at least some m/c mechanics then....that was over 30 yrs ago though.
CML9200
1/5/2010 1:49am
DONT BELIVE THE HYPE!!! Dont waste ur time and money. I went to the 1 in Phoenix. I wasted about 24grand on MMI's over hyped program that took a year and a half to complete. I pretty much knew 98% of what they teach just from growing up racing and always being around bikes. I was only 21 when I attended, so I did have the best times with all the partying and the riding in the desert. One thing I did get out of the deal is a few awesome friends that I still stay in touch with and visit. After I was done with school I came back home to work in the local shop and had to start at the bottom even with my MMI background. The pay was chump change, so I ended up quitting. I started up my own landscaping business after and ill never turn a wrench in a shop again thats for sure.
Its been about 7 years and im just about done paying my monthly note for all the loans I accumulated though the deal. Hope this helps.

Post a reply to: MMI Expierence

The Latest